Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:40 am
All times are UTC + 0
Jumpjet Commando
Moderators: SuperJoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject:  Jumpjet Commando Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cost: 2000
Prerequisite: Barracks, tech center
Role: Anti-everything, hit and run
Strengths: Effective against everything, great mobility
Weaknesses: N/A

Jumpjet Commandos are given access to all the high tech gear that GDI has available for infantry units. They are armed with man-portable railguns that are effective against any target. As their name suggests they also have personal jetpacks (latest generation of the jumpjet technology) that greatly increase their mobility and allow them to get in and out of any situation quickly. While in the air they use short range scanners to detect stealthed enemy units. These commandos work best alone or in small teams as their railguns can be harmful to nearby friendly units. Due to the low number and high cost of Jumpjet Commandos, and Forgotten knowledge of the battlefield, GDI has been known to hire Ghost Stalkers from friendly Forgotten clans for some of their commando operations.

Last edited by SuperJoe on Thu May 02, 2013 6:14 pm; edited 4 times in total

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not exactly a new unit, but posted the profile for the sake of completeness.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, goes against the canon i read(?) that only ghost stalker/mutants could use the hand held railgun since it needed tiberium to power it.

I don't remember where i read that tho...

Either way, I didn't like ghost stalker as a hero ever as killing friendlies is just way too easy and times umagon etc died in a mission... #Mad

I don't suppose you gonna address that.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
and times umagon etc died in a mission...

Classic.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't notice anything about railguns + tiberium in the manual at least. The first version of the mod will have the campaigns disabled since I haven't had time to adjust and update them for the mod. Will possible have them or a brand new campaign for a later release. Btw the Ghost Stalker (now available to the Forgotten) doesn't use railgun anymore, it has a rapid firing laser rifle that doesn't damage / kill friendlies. Earlier I was thinking of ways to make the two units differ even more by giving GDI commando a jetpack, but jetpack + C4 together lead to glitches.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ApolloTD wrote:
Heh, goes against the canon i read(?) that only ghost stalker/mutants could use the hand held railgun since it needed tiberium to power it.

I don't remember where i read that tho...

Where did you got this from? This is new for me.

Death Cultist
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, well made.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, its been ages since i read it... Only mention i quickly came about was http://www.cnc-source.com/?page=content/ts/tsgdiunits

"The Ghostalker is part of the Forgotten and a mutant like them all he carries a small hand held Rail Gun which can destroy lightly armoured and heavly armoured units and structures with ease. Which due to the radiatation caused by the weapon only mutants can handle it. Also armed with C4 to place on structures to destroy it makes the Ghostalker a powerful infantry unit. Like all other mutants he can heal himself in a tiberium patch."

Thus i've personally kept hand held railguns to mutants myself as it was rather experimental in tiberian sun age. Finding official source now.. good luck Wink

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's nothing like radiation emiting from railguns. It's simply a projectile that's accelerated to great speeds by two rails with magnetic fields. There's no reason why any other infantry unit than Ghostalker could use it, other than the presumably massive recoil.

If there was something like the Crysis nanosuit with its power mode, then that problem would be solved as well.

GameMaster0000
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
but jetpack + C4 together lead to glitches.

My Hovoc with JJ and C4 work fine only little buggy that when try to C4 structure he need to land first.

Tiberian Sun : True Power - Reality Power Of 5 Factions...

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would require some massive power source, but in fiction, renewable micro energy is apparently pretty damn easy to invent.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GameMaster0000 wrote:
Quote:
but jetpack + C4 together lead to glitches.

My Hovoc with JJ and C4 work fine only little buggy that when try to C4 structure he need to land first.

The glitch happens when you order the unit to C4 a building, but before he reaches it you cancel the attack by pressing stop or ordering him to move somewhere else. It will cause an C4 explosion to happen where the commando was standing when he got the new order. It can be used to instantly kill units / buildings next to the commando. Not sure if you could get rid of it by adjusting the C4 warhead... and would that break how the C4 works?

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Commando updated to finally make him a unique unit instead of being a near copy of Ghost Stalker. They have jetpacks now, but lose the C4. They are a pretty fun unit to use for commando style operations. They are pretty fragile though and won't last long in a real fight. I've updated the profile with new info and pics. Here's a preview of the unit animations:

Also, you may or may not have noticed but the mod isn't out yet... I ran into alot more trouble with the AI than I expected, and kind of burned out trying to finish it and meet the deadline. I'm back into action now though, expect a news post and release SOON.

Last edited by SuperJoe on Fri May 03, 2013 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

blubb
General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

radiation? huh? i always thought that only ghoststalker can carry a portable railgun extra for him because he's the only one who can handle it's weight and recoil

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Death Cultist
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think we can ignore that rail-gun radiation thing =P or talk around it, maybe the Commando has a special rad suit.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it doesn't say any of these things in the manual or any other official source I've seen, and I don't know why a railgun would give off radiation. As for being able to handle the weight and recoil, maybe you have to be really strong to qualify for commando training? If the Quake2 guy can do it, so can GDI commandos Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon