Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:53 am
All times are UTC + 0
Unit doesn't look right
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Retro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject:  Unit doesn't look right Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, here's my process.

I export a model from 3ds max to a .3ds file. I then use 3ds2vxl to convert that into a .vxl. From there, I apply a texture using a random image onhand (all .bmp), and save. I then use OS HVA Builder 2.1 to create a .hva. I pull up mixer and toss them into expand02.mix. Unfortunately, when I get ingame, this happens:

Anyone have any clue?

(10 mins of entering in captcha..I read the reverse order message. #Mad )

Retro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thought I'd add another screenshot of it. Everything looks fine for a tester unit (first attempt at getting one ingame) -- except that weird flat plane standing up in the middle.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

open in VXLSE3. erase that plane.

Retro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't realize that was actually being created. The plane, I thought, was a bug. However, it's been removed, and the garbled outcome remains the same.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like you used the wrong normals palette when coverting from .3ds to .vxl

Only way to fix it is to redo the whole thing, and make sure the RA2 normals are set in the 3ds2vxl setup screen.

you mentioned this was a 3ds max file, dont you have the textures for it? If you do, just make a folder, put the .3ds and texture image in the same folder, then convert it.

Retro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man, I feel stupid. I neglected to choose a normals palette at all. That fixed it quick.

Thanks for the textures tip, I was worrying about that but decided I should get a model working rather than trying to texture a cloud of pixels!

You guys rock. I'll post a screenshot of the results once I get it perfect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum