Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:16 am
All times are UTC + 0
Parallel Wars Returns.
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [110 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject:  Parallel Wars Returns.
Subject description: But this time a bit different.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I almost thought I'll never show up here again so hello to those of you who remember me.

I was working on a TC mod for Generals a while back and thought I'd finnish instead of giving up, so here goes...

The main details and story are still being thought of so heres the plan so far.

If you remember I posted a mod a real long time ago with a fantasy WW2 theme to it called Parallel wars. This is just a more futuristic version of it.
I am still unsure how crazy I want to make it without losing some integrity.

The plan is to have a realistic but also slightly fantasy style gameplay and story. Something like if you mixed Sudden strike with Warhammer.

So for now all my brain can come up with is:

A resource called mattergon crystals (name I thought of just now) It's similar to tiberium but grows underground. The whole thing was started by the Ion accelerator in Sweden, opened a gate between our world and a parallel one which has been devasted by a misterious force. Thus stuff from there starts interacting with stuf from earth. I am unsure of what the stuff is though.

Oh and this:
Our world has been stuffed up a little by wars and so on too. This is about 50 years from now.

There are three sides:

The Global federation: Made up of mainly europe and whats left of africa.
The Aliance: Made up of the americas.
The Neo Soviets: They are not commies but adopted a little from them. Made up of whats left of china, india, middle east and russia.

Oh and 2/3rds of the Neo Soviet millitary force vannished into thin air as the last war almost drew to a stalemate. This event happend just as the ion accelerator was started. More on that later...

The resource I mentioned came from the other parallel planet. It was brought through by the federation, and spread far and wide after a few years. It is yet unknown how it had spread.

ANYHOO! Here are pics of the progress I made so far.Nothing is 100% done so take it easy on my stuff. Razz

buggies.png
 Description:
Some NS buggies hauling ass.
 Filesize:  147.5 KB
 Viewed:  18469 Time(s)

buggies.png

eapcs.png
 Description:
Some Fedartion Apc's waiting around.
 Filesize:  394.39 KB

eapcs.png

eurotestscrn.png
 Description:
Some stuff being worked on.
 Filesize:  668.16 KB

eurotestscrn.png

hummers1.png
 Description:
Some alliance hummers/medium scouts going for a evening cruise.
 Filesize:  229.9 KB

hummers1.png

destest.png
 Description:
Some civlian desert stuff
 Filesize:  608.02 KB

destest.png

MT
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keep going, good models, but work on the textures.

For example I think that APC has a decent texture, but the hummers almost look like they are made out of concrete because of the dull constant gray. One more thing, I don't see remap (Or in generals you call it HOUSECOLOR iirc) :p

Still I recognize how you stated it is "wip", so I'm not quite sure if you already plan to make these changes. At any rate good luck with the mod and don't stop.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MT wrote:
Keep going, good models, but work on the textures.

For example I think that APC has a decent texture, but the hummers almost look like they are made out of concrete because of the dull constant gray. One more thing, I don't see remap (Or in generals you call it HOUSECOLOR iirc) :p

Still I recognize how you stated it is "wip", so I'm not quite sure if you already plan to make these changes. At any rate good luck with the mod and don't stop.

You are right about the hummers...I won't add remap, as it takes too long. However I will add house colours directly drawn onto the texture. It's mainly a single player mod so multiplayer will max out at 3 players for now I guess.

All models will be a bit better looking than the apc's. Thats the plan at least.

MT
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I haven't quite modded generals, but they at least do have specular maps or that property recognized in materials? I think if anything else shinyness sets gray concrete from gray metal. Experiment, I guess.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah I have an idea. I'll make all the units with flat colour, but not like that other mod. Will have visible details but just slightly cartoony. I'll post something later, to see the difference.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice Federation APC

No time for housecolor? All you have to do is name a small object on your model HOUSECOLOR01 and Generals will take care of the rest!

Good to see you're still working with generals

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My only concern is the high-polyness of the models.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:

Yeah about that, how bad is that? If they are a bit more higher poly than the usual ones?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its just a question of how many units you want on screen at a time, so far as I can tell. In my own work I've gone a bit over the guidelines, but because I don't intend too many units to be on the map at a time it isn't a problem for me.

I'd suggest just thinking on what you want to do gameplay-wise, because that'll be a factor in deciding how many polys you can stand - IC seems to do OK with a million units at a time, but that seems to be the aim...

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

L()KI wrote:
Dutchygamer wrote:

Yeah about that, how bad is that? If they are a bit more higher poly than the usual ones?

Well, for starters you can reduce the amount of sides on vehicle wheels to 6 (or 8 ), as noone will look that close to models to see the detail.
But as Orac said, if your aim is to not have many models at the screen at a time, then it can stay as it is. Do you want large battles, then I suggest you reduce the polycount.
Iirc I posted some guidelines for polycounts for Gens somewhere...

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do want big battles I love em big. I could always join faces and cut down on stuff after making them so it shouldn't be a big deal right. Like I always cut out the bottoms or hidden facets of buildings. I should be able to get away with slightly higher poly models right only slightly more than the generals ones.

Whats the average poly count on Gen units anyway?

Ok so does it depend on CPU power right how smoothly it will run with higher poly models?

Thanks beforehand.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Hunter wrote:
infantry 100/400
vehicles 500/900
base defence 600/1500
structures 1000/2000
superweapons 1500/3000

There ya go.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. Some more work. Mainly a Alliance medium battle tank. WIP I am strugling to get the contrast up so you can see more of the texture.

2. The hummer was retextured more flat colours like the rest. Does it look less concrete like now?

3. Also I remade some of the houses and added a few extra civilian stuff. To make stuff more realistic.

Your right I should reduce the wheel poly count. Noone will look at them too close. The gap of polys between units with wheels and other units is way way too high.

mhses2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  317.75 KB
 Viewed:  18191 Time(s)

mhses2.png

mhses.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  338.51 KB

mhses.png

med tank.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.76 KB

med tank.png

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update:

Two new tanks discriptions on the pic. Also on the other pics you can see the lower poly wheels and a civilan building.

Oh and an alliance APC WIP.

wpa.png
 Description:
Federation Medium tank. like most(not all) of the federations units it is best suited for ambushing and sniping lighter classed units. Also can go face to face with some similar classed units.
 Filesize:  9.64 KB
 Viewed:  18132 Time(s)

wpa.png

Wpz.png
 Description:
Neo soviet light tank. It's armour is average and has less upgrades when compared to rival units. However its weapon is vicious a twin semi auto (dont know what mm yet) cannon. Very effective vs light vehicles like hummers and certain types of infantry. A
 Filesize:  9.38 KB

Wpz.png

wpa2.png
 Description:
The alliance heavy APC. Very versatile and those squares are where the addons/upgrades are supposed to go.
 Filesize:  169.29 KB

wpa2.png

wpeandc.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  324.61 KB

wpeandc.png

Cantdrawbutmod
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Frog APC Surprised
In C&C3,a bit more of green and it would have been the perfect vehicle to share the jump ability of zone troopers Laughing

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1 new unit and more work done on textures.

Also the official name of one faction, The American Empire.

I need some ideas for names of the their 4 units so far so if anyones interested in posting some name ideas I'd be greatfull.

Oh and that is a heavy tank or actually more a main battle tank. part of the backbone so to say.

empire units.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  188.22 KB
 Viewed:  18042 Time(s)

empire units.png

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

'Couger' Fast Attack vehicle
'Charlie Horse' Armored Personel Carrier
'Contender' Medium Tank
'Champion' Heavy Tank
'Conquerer' Something
'Cardinal' Something
'Chief, Centaur, Centurion, Cannibal, Carria, Carnage, Cameleon, Crusader, Convict' something

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool man, I think animal(mammal names would siut well for the Empire)

You like the letter C don't you?

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carnivore, Cyote, Cobra, Clam. Defiantly Clam

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coyote - That Humvee thing
Bison - That APC
Bear - Smaller Tank
Lion - Larger Tank

But idk.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clam would be good for some kind of turret or deployable unit that turns into a turret (tick tank style).

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could also go for Indian Tribal names (Comanche, Apache, etc)

Drogan
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Road runner the Hum-Vee
Jackal APC
Alberto Medium Tank
Stampede Heavy Tank

...That's all I could think of.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alberto? heh, that'l just be a bit wierd.

So some type of kanine animal for the hummer. Hmmm

Wait wait. I have an idea, since this is a parallel war. The names should be reminisant of actual real life units. Like the Empire tanks should be

Heavy: M1A12 Obama (lol) main battle tank
Medium: M2A15 Regan medium tank
Hummer: Well instead of hummer we could just say H5 Jackal scout.
APC: Don't know but to the same affect as above?

What do you think?

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your models are getting better!

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

L()KI wrote:
1 new unit and more work done on textures.

Also the official name of one faction, The American Empire.

I need some ideas for names of the their 4 units so far so if anyones interested in posting some name ideas I'd be greatfull.

Oh and that is a heavy tank or actually more a main battle tank. part of the backbone so to say.

A few names:
Tiger
Cougar
Panther
Cobra
Fox
Peacekeeper
Warden
Paladin
Crusader
Pioneer
Jackal
Coyote
Guardian

I will edit this topic with better suggestions and for what you can use each later.

Large Tank: Crusader, Paladin, Warden, Guardian
Smaller Tank: Panther
Humvee: Fox, Jackal
APC: Peacekeeper, Cougar

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps there should be a thread with names of units, that all mods could go to.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wikipedia is good for unit names, imo. Many a time I've used it as a cheat sheet.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
Wikipedia is good for unit names, imo. Many a time I've used it as a cheat sheet.

Keep clicking the Random Article button until you find a fitting name #Tongue

Cantdrawbutmod
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can also check the names from the game "Total Annihilation".
I think for both normal units and units from mods they always had a name from an animal or something else.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update

Skinned the Federation medium tank, and their transport.

Perhaps I should make the skin colour a bit different or lighter? They seem to be camoflauged a bit too much. What do you think?

eustuff.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.44 KB
 Viewed:  17865 Time(s)

eustuff.png

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could try adding depth to those textures. By shadowing some places. Like the place around the tank turret. It will smooth things down. Also you could try to make some parts stand out a bit.

I'll try to tell what I can, but I have only paint here, so:

1) You could add shadows under the standing out 3d details. (Smooth)

2) On a big surfaces you could add hardly seen shadow. (Depth)

3) You could add metallic plates and stuff, with highlighted edges. (Depth)

4) You could add some cammo. (Depth)

5) Add some old letters. (Realism)

6) You could add some old skratches and marks on the texture surface. (Noise)

Also dont use smoothing groups in your 3d models no where, except places where there should be round edges.

Also, the colour, yeah, it is too brown, like wood. Make it lighter and with less saturation.

rawra.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.7 KB
 Viewed:  17856 Time(s)

rawra.PNG

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dam thats a hectic reply.

Cool, I undestood everything. I don't mean to be rude or nothing but I kinda knew everything you said actually and I tried some of them on my first few units (I never posted them).

However It reminded me that I can still do more. I am trying to get a cartoony look to my units and its hard to get it looking good without looking realistic. There are highlighted edges on some of the units already but I am not sure if I should keep them. I don't want them realistic only the buildings.

Oh and I will add letters and stuff too...

Thats also why the outlines are so heavy. Oh and I'll only put dirt on the wheels or tracks to add to the style.
Oh and all the models have cleared normals. Not smoothed at all, well I try make sure atleast.

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh if you are trying to make them look cartoony. Just give your units out of the size proportions. Like giant wheels and stuff. Make them look silly and colourful.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, ok wait let me show you what kind of cartoony I want.

mox10[1].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71 KB
 Viewed:  17817 Time(s)

mox10[1].jpg

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh sorry for double post but I have a test cameo I was working on.

What do you think is it a good style?... The type of weapons the unit has will be shown on the side as you can see. This is just a mock cameo and I still have to create a library of icons for all the different types of weapons too.

cameotest.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.5 KB
 Viewed:  17814 Time(s)

cameotest.png

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks good.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elite units will be in camo... Each side will get a set of elite units which sometimes use chassis of the regular units like this Elite Federation Medium tank.

What do you rate of the camo? Both of the units in the pic are still WIP. I am busy improving the textures on the previous units so these will get even better hopefully.

elf.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.34 KB
 Viewed:  17772 Time(s)

elf.png

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first thing I thought of was a cow-tank #Tongue Brown and white don't really make a good camo texture. That, and the white areas are too small imho.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heheh I was thinking the same thing whilst making it. Cool I' shall try a new colour scheme.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh shit I forgot to put white on the barrel.

Anyway here...Is better yes? Should I replace the white completely? Ah wait let me try yellow...

Update: Yellow looks way cooler for a European based faction .I think I'll keep it, what do you think?

cameotest3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.77 KB
 Viewed:  17714 Time(s)

cameotest3.png

cameotest2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.11 KB
 Viewed:  17722 Time(s)

cameotest2.png

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno I think camo 2 looks better.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: pwr Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

make the yellow more sand color for desert style maps.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The last shots really do have that cartoony look you are looking for, it looks good! Though I'd make the camo slightly darker colours than the original paint scheme.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool I'll take in the advise, but bare in mind that all 3 factions will have camo elite units so I need to chose colours that are not similar.

Anyhoo, what do you think about this colour for the neo soviets? Units are WIP.

nsctest.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.38 KB
 Viewed:  17621 Time(s)

nsctest.png

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They look fine. I really like that buggy. Could you send it's unwrap image? I just want to have some fun with it?

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad you like it.

I use like 8 different unwrapped files for the buggy. I don't know how to do the other method where you only use one. It's more acurate to work on the detail this way for me though.

If you really want I could send you the top and side? I have to sleep now though.

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well. Ok. If you have a need, I can later tell you, how to combine all to one unwrap file.

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool man that will be great, i'll pm you my msn is that cool?

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a size test.

Do you think its realistic when comparing the sizes of the tanks to the houses and such?

This pic gives me a wierd country feeling... I don't like it. Probably the terrain or something.

sizetest.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  302.52 KB
 Viewed:  17548 Time(s)

sizetest.png

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon