Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Advance Wars: Frontline
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
huhnu
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject:  Advance Wars: Frontline Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all, to the debut of Advance Wars: Frontlines, the Red Alert 3 mod that brings you a full 3D cartoonified Advance Wars. We will have all five of the factions, Orange Star, Blue Moon, Black Hole, Yellow Comet, and Green Earth!

We have finished most Orange Star ground vehicles yet, and we show them off in our release media pack!

All 8 housecolors to choose from

Night time showing of some vehicles and their headlights

Sea side Orange Star base

A Recon and Infantry assault

A group of Tanks and Medium Tanks

Seaside assault in waiting

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, our ModDB isn't up yet, when it is, it will be here!

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1: Shit, there went one of my mod ideas.

2: IMO the textures need some work. I know the game depicts them as being all of a solid color, but the contrast and values on the textures are painful to look at. I suggest going for softer tones that aren't hard on the eyes. I would almost suggest avoiding light maps on these too if they have them. I would also recommend making a 4 tone swatch palette for details if you want to make it look as cartoony as the GBA.

3: Great speedy progress so far.

huhnu
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's a light map? O_o

And we have a template texture for each faction that is built off of for each unit. The GBA also was completely solid color, we have more detail than it by having faded areas( #Tongue ). And I think you're the first person to say it's hard to look at.

Thanks for the feedback though Smile

Cantdrawbutmod
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are all those units under iron curtain or something? Shocked

huhnu
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, that's our version of AW2s art style. Smile

And we have more updates!

Renders of all ingame units.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice mod idea, and I only have a small suggestion: increase the length of the barrel of the artillery. Compared to the original model it is too short, and it can be confused with the Medium Tank imho Wink

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OMG. I used to work on a AW for YR mod years and years ago.

Very good work, I suggest you increase the brightness of the vehicles, as to better match the original color schemes.

I think you need to tweak the
Recon- Should be taller- the windshields should form one solid pane, not two divided ones.
Arty- Longer barrel
Medium Tank- Slope back the front of the turret, as in the Abrams (which the tank is based on)

But besides that, you have me watching...with intense interest.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HA! Its so cute!

huhnu
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have reached a point now where we have a playable product and need community feedback for us to continue so we are creating a New Year open beta, the download will be available on New Years Day. This is NOT the full mod, it is NOT bug free and is NOT perfectly balanced, though we've worked it to an acceptable standard. That is why we need YOU to help us by arranging and playing online matches and posting your thoughts and replays on our forums!

What this mod WILL NOT HAVE
- Blue Moon, Yellow Comet, Green Earth and Black Hole armies.
- Air units, naval units, silos, pipes, the missiles ground unit, the Neotank and any AWDS units and structures.
- CO's and associated powers and stats.
- Custom maps but we have adapted Temple Prime (2) and Pool Party (4)
- Music and custom voices.
- Destruction animations.
- Custom menus.
- Custom infantry, mech and vehicle pilot art (though we are using RA3 infantry models for now, the units are functional)
- Terrain effects and bonuses.
- Working AI. Playing a match with any level of AI will cause the game to crash.

Why are these not included?
For a number of reasons, primarily it's because we want to balance the mod in layers starting with the basic land units without CO's or terrain getting in the way. Once we're happy we've balanced them, we can go on with introducing terrain, CO's, air and naval units and other game changing factors. The lack of destruction animations and fully finished UI is down to the fact that we wanted to get this beta out for New Year with all the important things that are needed.

What this mod WILL HAVE
- Playable Orange Star land forces.
- Working game play mechanics for the standard game mode inducing cities, bases, HQs, property capturing and fog of war toggle.
- Relatively balanced units (from internal testing)
- 2 working skirmish maps, Temple Prime (2) and Pool Party (4) all adapted for Frontline game play.
- Custom loading screen.
- Unit/building descriptions, icons and portraits.
- Unit decals and new team colours.

Please leave feedback here including bug reports, balance concerns, over used and underused units and general replays here!

We advise you arrange matches via this forum thread or via our steam group. To keep order and make matchmaking much easier, we suggest that everyone should use casual 16 for Frontline matches!

Installing Frontline:
To install the mod, drag the "Frontline" folder into the "Mods" folder found in "C:\Users\ USERNAME \Documents(or Documents and Settings)\Red Alert 3\Mods", if the "Mods" folder does not exist, create it.

Launching Frontline:
To launch the Frontline, open the Red Alert 3 Control Center(to get to the Control Center, make a shortcut to RA3.EXE and add the -ui parameter), select "Game Browser" then open the "Mods" tab, select Frontline and press "Launch Game".

In the event of the skirmish screen not allowing you to select a map, army or team colour, delete the "skirmish.ini" file from "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Red Alert 3\Profiles\PROFILE NAME" then relaunch the mod, this should fix the problem, though we advise that you create a profile specifically for AW: Frontline use to prevent this from reoccurring!

To finish off I'd like to stress how important it is that you give us feedback while our fanbase is still small so we can improve Frontline and get an even larger community!

See you on the battlefield!

Download Here

Untrue
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy shit dude that's an awesome. It's nice to see another Advance Wars fan here! Wink

huhnu
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Almost three months have passed since beta 0.9.0 and now we have enough progress to warrant another release which we hope will sprout an online community! We are currently working on some final balance fixes and implementing our third map for the second beta, Beaker Island, which supports land & air combat! Advance Wars veterans should recognise it as map #3 in the Vs. Room!

When will it be out?! April.

What it will not have
- Silos, pipes, the Neotank and any AWDS units and structures.
- A full library of maps.
- Music and custom voices.
- Custom menus.
- Custom infantry, mech and vehicle pilot art (<strong><span>the units are functional with RA3 art</span></strong>)
- Terrain effects and bonuses.
- Working AI. Playing a match with any level of AI will cause the game to crash.

Well, why not?

Same as with the first beta, we want to balance things in stages. We've done some adjustments to the land units and now it's the turn of the airforce and navy. Also with the summer exam season approaching again, mod work will slow down significantly so we hope to compensate for that by hosting online matches & events to bridge this gap.

What it will have
- Playable Orange Star land, sea and air forces.
- Working game play mechanics for the standard game mode inducing cities, bases, HQs and capturing.
- Relatively balanced units (from internal testing)
- 4 working maps, Little Island, Frosty Canal, Beaker River and a mystery 2v2 map!
- Custom loading screen.
- Unit/building descriptions, icons and portraits.

We will hopefully be hosting an event for when we release the beta that will most likely take the form of a tournament or just a drop in session where you fight who ever else turns up! Expect another article in regards to that closer to the time of release.

To finish off, here are some screenshots of the third beta 2 map, Beaker Island!

(btw, you can't see it atm, but since moddb is borked, you may or may not be able to see the last pictures)

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking pretty good. The bridge needs to glow MUCH less and there are some minor cosmetic issues (Recon, Md Tank, Arty, APC), but besides that, things are definitely looking up.

huhnu
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not exactly sure what "cosmetic issues" mean, so it'd be helpful to, oh I dunno. Explain?

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

huhnu wrote:
Not exactly sure what "cosmetic issues" mean, so it'd be helpful to, oh I dunno. Explain?

Of course!

Recon- The vehicle should be taller and windshields should be single pieces of glass, not doubles. The gun should also resemble a machine-gun, not a mini-gun.
Medium Tank- The front of the turret should be swept back, like in the Abrams Tank. The turret should also create a small overhang near the rear.
APC- Is missing the second infantry compartment closer to the rear of the vehicle. The headlights should be higher up on the hull, as in the original.
AA- Doesn't need the return rollers (the wheels that are above the larger main ones)
Rocket- Should probably have 4 rockets in the launcher, not 8.
Artillery- The hatch on the side of the superstructure is missing. The return rollers also should be removed. In addition, the super-structure should be a bit taller.

I'd also suggest cleaner and more-washed out faction colors. Not necessarily AW-style solid-color, but (Red) Orange Star shouldn't be THAT red. The renders shown on this thread look better and more true to the originals than what is shown on ModDB.

Also, will Kanbei dominate the universe as he did in AW2? WTB 130/130 Medium tanks

huhnu
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Look, nit-picking is not going to make you look smart. None of those things matter. At all. They look better in RA3 with those non-game-changing changes. I'm sure you can live with an extra piece of geometry or 2.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No need to be rude. I was offering my suggestions for the vehicles to look better.

Not the best way to keep people interested.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this is more a "happy and dedicated fan trying to help" than "pretencious nitpicking" take it as a good thing. Still so far everything looks great, so keep it up and good luck!

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

huhnu wrote:
Look, nit-picking is not going to make you look smart.

You asked for specifics. You got them. Be happy.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice work so far, looking forward to more, especially the funky lookin mega tanks #Tongue

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cooling down some of the tension here...

I made the models while looking at the sprites though I didn't want to do a 100% remake of them. As for the glass panels we don't have any custom infantry yet so it'd just look empty and strange. As for the MGs, they're absolutely.

About the units being too red, you can change team colour in Red Alert 3, we've used red for demonstration, you can a range of colours from green orange star to orange orange star.

SighNapse
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^
and that was me, just signed up and verified. didn't realise it would auto log me out once verified.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anonymous wrote:
Cooling down some of the tension here...

I made the models while looking at the sprites though I didn't want to do a 100% remake of them. As for the glass panels we don't have any custom infantry yet so it'd just look empty and strange. As for the MGs, they're absolutely.

About the units being too red, you can change team colour in Red Alert 3, we've used red for demonstration, you can a range of colours from green orange star to orange orange star.
Well I don't know if Huhnu interpreted my remarks as being something negative, let me tell you, I only listed what I did because it's what I felt stopped them from looking perfect. They're damn good now, but they could be even better relatively easily.

It's totally fine that you don't want to do 100% remakes. The things I listed were what struck me, as a hopeless fanatic of the AW series (600+ hours) as being the most visually jarring. Just consider tweaking the Medium and the Recon if not anything else. Medium looks a little too much like an up-scaled Tank and the Recon just seems a bit too modern with the double-panes of glass and low profile.

And while I'd love to see these get fixed, it wouldn't kill the mod for me. TBQH I'm anxious to see the Yellow Comet stuff, especially their KV-2 Medium Tank.

SighNapse
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As soon as we have ourselves some custom infantry we're going to have a go at putting them into the recon and possibly the battle copter like in the original AW games, it might work out well and it might not but it can't hurt to try!

SighNapse
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Tournament Interest Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interested in taking part in a tournament and ladder?

With our work on beta 2 reaching completion, we have started to think about how we can make this beta succeed where beta 1 failed. Naturally the first 2 thoughts were, ladder system and tournament. We are more than happy to arrange both of these and have streams covering the events, but before we can fully plan a tournament, we need to know roughly how many people would be interested in participating in one.

If we receive enough interest, we will later publish more details on the rules, bracket system, rules, date and time. If we do not receive that much interest then we can still find alternate methods to rally a small community together although it will be far less interesting!

So if you're interested in a ladder & tournament for Frontline, then post here http://www.moddb.com/mods/advance-wars-frontline/forum/thread/091-tournament-interest ! We don't need a username for RA3 just yet as we're only interested in the numbers at the moment! If you're reading this and do not have a moddb account, please send us an e-mail at admin@sighnapse.net!

Don't forget to spread the word, beta 2 is coming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tournaments, Ladder System & Events
With this mini-mod we're going all out on making an active community through tournaments at least once a month and a coherent ladder system, [color="#FF0000"]if you're interested in taking part of spectating,read this thread![/color] Remember there's currently no active AI in Frontline, so don't miss out on this matchmaking opportunity!

We have currently scheduled one small tournament to get us going, but stay tuned for future announcements!

What this mod DOES HAVE

- Playable Orange Star forces.
- Working game play mechanic inducing cities, production buildings, HQs and property capturing
- Balanced units (from internal testing)
- 5 remade skirmish maps from Advance Wars!
- Custom loading screen.
- Unit/building descriptions, <span>temporary</span> icons and portraits.

What the beta doesn't have!
- The Neotank and any AWDS units and structures.
- Custom menus & music.
- Custom infantry, mech and vehicle pilot art (<span><strong>the units are functional using RA3 assets!</strong></span>)
- Terrain effects, bonuses and mini-cannons.
- Fully animated helicopter blades, the current animation needs fixing. Yes we are aware of this and yes we will fix it for the next beta/patch.

Youtube Channel, game lobby & steam group
We recently launched a new youtube channel, where we hope to post community and tournament replays along side important mod updates so go and subscribe! Don't forget that we also have a <a>steam group</a> from our first beta.

For matchmaking outside of tournaments, we advise using our moddb forum, steam group or just dropping by casual 16.

Don't forget, as always you can follow us directly and see <a>sneak peaks</a> of content we have yet to post on moddb!

Installing Frontline:
To install the mod, drag the "Frontline" folder into the "Mods" folder found in "C:\Users\-USERNAME-\Documents\Red Alert 3\Mods", if the "Mods" folder does not exist, create it.

Launching Frontline:
To launch the Frontline, open the Red Alert 3 Control Centre, select "Game Browser" then open the "Mods" tab, select Frontline and press "Launch Game".

In the event of the skirmish screen not allowing you to select a map, army or team colour, delete the "skirmish.ini" file from "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Red Alert 3\Profiles\PROFILE NAME" then relaunch the mod, this should fix the problem, though we advise that you create a profile specifically for AW: Frontline use to prevent this from reoccurring!
[color="#FF0000"]
To close I would like to stress how important it is that you take part in events, give us balance feedback and submit your replays! It's the only way we can improve the mod![/color]

See you on the battlefield!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VwRl4msJWo&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Please remove the captcha for posting, it's annoying as all hell.

huhnu
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, guest posted. >_> Nevermind the last remark.

Shakar
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks awesome thus far. Really reminded me of the originals in a new perspective. ^_^

SighNapse
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Update! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum