Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 pm
All times are UTC + 0
What lead to your need to mod?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject:  What lead to your need to mod? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I find it interesting to know why people started modding. It would be cool to find out why or how people started modding. What game it started with. Also who got them involved.

iNs0MNiaC
Medic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Red alert 2 in 2003 I started making maps then discovered ini modifing and here I am.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2007 - Orac decides to start modding
2008 - Orac realises that he can't actually code, map, music, or hackityhack, so starts voxelling
2011 - Present day

I dunno, I just got bored and started modding... because I could, I guess.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After playing TS offline for a while, I finally started playing online and after playing a couple mod maps I wanted to try and make my own.
While looking for a map editor, I finally ran into Wagnerma.de, where I downloaded FinalSun, and these are also the first forums I registered to back in 2003.

After making a couple symetrical looking maps, I downloaded the ini files for Tiberian Sun and started figuring out how mess with the rules and art. After that I actually ended up spending more time making mods for maps, than actually designing the maps themselves.
A little while after that I registered to TiberiumSun.com's forums (I visited the site frequently, but somehow I didn't it also had forums until much later #Tongue) and around that time I started working on a an actual (private) mod (using a lot of public assets) instead of making mod maps.

I mostly learned by editing existing stuff and was actually quicker to look at examples from different existing stuff (like original coding from Westwood or mods I'd downloaded) to figure things out than to ask questions.

When I got fed up with my private public asset mod, I started working on a different private mod using graphics from TD, slowly died after a while, after which I restarted it a while later and eventually it became DTA.

I mostly lost track of specific years however.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

~2000-2001: I've been downloading maps (and making crappy primitive ones) for Quake for some time, then I had started to download mods. Basically, I wanted to make my own too, out of curiosity and part to develop my skills, so I could put out works like the legendary Nehahra mod (holy shit, downloading a 50+ MB mod took forever on 56k). I never got that far, but hey, it was still fun. IIRC my first mod was simply opening some monster QCs in QuArK and tweaking some HP and damage values. It took awhile before I added my first new monster, the classic fridgebot Defender.

When I picked up on RTSs (RA2) in late 2004, it was basically a continuation of that previous desire to modify the game.

I started Star Strike for YR basically to link into my Star Strike for Quake mod, which at this point now have no resemblance to each other in the slightest.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because I had some funny ideas. Like making a flying destroyer than spins and explodes like a demo truck which parachutes a GI when it goes kaboom.

My first game was RA2. Then RA1. Then TS, and YR somewhat, eventually TFD. and C&C3. and RA3.

Untrue
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Started modding Ra2/YR in mid 2004 because I was fascinated at the buildings from Sleipnir's Stuff and Savage War. I love adding stuff on the game too. Ra2 was my first stepping stone to programming.

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tiberian Sun started my love of modding, and it will always be a game I mod Very Happy

Ordosherrscher
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

started with Tib Sun - even though I cant be called as 'modder'. My skills were, and are, very basic, but it was fun, tweaking mods, trying to create something new (even though I never made a mod, or anything like that for that matter) and experimentating. Funnily enough, I discovered Mod maps later, creating my own ones (which had too man changes, and at the same time not enough, confusing the players), especially so called 'visceroid maps'.

ATM I try to help where I can (mostly TS limited since I just did some very basic things in RA2), playing mods and so on.
But I have to admit - I can't map, nor voxels, shp's, or anything useful for that matter. Well, whatever #Tongue

Think of me as Nordos, 'cause Banshee wouldn't rename me

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to make RA maps when I got the the game in 2001, then tinkered with Tiberian Sun for a while and then moved on to RA2 when I played a lot of Deezire 4.0. And it sort of developed from there.

Steam

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Been mapping a bit before discovering real modding. Downloaded the CnC Holland mod and wanted to mod Generals then. Failed miserably and fell back to TS modding. Crawled up to RA2 modding, and continued to Generals and a little bit TW #Tongue

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon