Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 am
All times are UTC + 0
Stargate and Rings [WIP]
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [46 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject:  Stargate and Rings [WIP] Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished the Stargate TV show and decided to make it.

I have a ripple modifier linked to the water part right now, but its giving me problems when the loop restarts because the animation ends differently than it begins. Any suggestions?

Edit: Started working on the activation animation though I don't know how useful it would be in YR.

Rings_Transporter.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  240.54 KB
 Viewed:  17797 Time(s)

Rings_Transporter.gif

Activate.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  448.26 KB
 Viewed:  17803 Time(s)

Activate.gif

stargate_unlit.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.49 KB
 Viewed:  17843 Time(s)

stargate_unlit.png

stargate_in.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.54 KB

stargate_in.png

stargate_lit.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.05 KB

stargate_lit.png

FistOfFire
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first animation looks great.
How it could be used(probably other ways to), you split the animation into to parts, when the first part is done, the second animation start(Next=) and also contain code for spawning infantry(NP/Ares).

Could you make(on the animation), so you can see the rings from the sky fall down? something like this:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1354/falll.gif

Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Made some accidents when animating it because I'm tired. I'll make the Ori transporter pad tomorrow and have the rings come out of that as well.

How should they start off at the top? Should they just appear from nowhere or start visible or maybe even something else?

Suggestions on the timing of the rings? I'm not sure if they should stay closer when going down or maybe even farther.

New Rings.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  368.49 KB
 Viewed:  17774 Time(s)

New Rings.gif

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The rings falling from the sky only happened in the show, when a ship was involved flying low above the ground, e.g. Alkesh or Transporter.
In all other situations, they came from the ground, rose up, did the beam and then went back down in the ground.

Sometimes either the top most ring was even with the ground when off, or an additional hatch opened before the first ring appeared.

So imo you should completely avoid making them fall from the sky, as it looks strange if they appear out of nowhere.

Other than that, they look really nice. Good job.
Can't wait to see your kawoosh effect.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't think they looked all the great from the sky either. I'll a platform for the normal rings later.

I have the Ori's platform using the normal rings right now but I'll make the Ori ones after I finish the Stargate's animations.

Platform.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.08 KB
 Viewed:  17715 Time(s)

Platform.gif

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great man. any plans for a realease after it's done?

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A stargate mod using graphics like these would be awesome. Do you have any intention of making more like this?

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Cranium
Yes.

@Bittah Commander
I'll do a few more things like the landed Ori ship and Puddle Jumper.

Very very WIP version of the Kawooosh effect. The effect definitely goes too far out and its shape is off a bit. Still looks cool at least.

Kawoosh2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  351.16 KB
 Viewed:  17680 Time(s)

Kawoosh2.gif

u6795
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe some kind of flash effect when it reaches the climax of the *vwoosh animation? It was always pretty spectacular in the show.

Excellent work, though. All of this is really beautiful haha, kind of reinvigorated my interest in Stargate. I'd be really interested to see whatever else you'll make.

ruptioner
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These animations look pretty sick! are you going to include a ramp with the stargate ring or a piece of terrain that looks like the stargate ramp?

Madin
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks great!

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the end of the whoosh the surface looks oddly static, but apart from that this is awesome.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's because there's no movement inside the ring itself.

All in all, though, it looks beautiful.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Orac
I haven't put the two together yet. I'll add the ripples back in once the Kawoosh is finished.

Updated Kawoosh. Better? and a ramp.
First one doesn't have the normal ripple anim. The second one does but I forgot two Omni Lights for its center.

Edit: There we go. Combined them together.

ActivateGate.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  766.61 KB
 Viewed:  17584 Time(s)

ActivateGate.gif

Ramp.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.25 KB
 Viewed:  17632 Time(s)

Ramp.png

Last edited by Edge on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

FistOfFire
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Please, double that size, and I will use it in my mod, if I am allowed to.
I play in 1920x1080 Cool

Untrue
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to see another Stargate Atlantis fan here. Very Happy

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know absolutely nothing about Stargate or anything similar, but this is excellent quality work. Great job.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edge wrote:
Updated Kawoosh. Better? and a ramp.

The shape of new kawoosh is a bit too smooth. On the old one it was more frayed on the end which looked cooler. Also the fact that the old one was first with a medium diameter and then suddenly changed to a bigger diameter was cool.

So imo the best would be the old one using frames 17-36, though a lot closer to the ring (without the long thin part) and combined with the brightness/texture of the new one (though keep some of the darker more blue spots and don't make the whole kawoosh white/bright blue).

The ramp is a bit strange, since it shows steps which are angular too. Either make a flat angular ramp or a staircase, but not both in one. The height of the ramp could be also 2-3 steps lower. Remember, the instable vortex of the kawoosh would disintegrate the molecules of the ramp that are inside the ring, so the ramp should actually end close before the event horizon and don't go through it. And the ramp should be of course low enough, so it doesn't gets in contact with the kawoosh effect.

Public SHPs

Tools

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This stuff is "Stellar", No pun intended Very Happy

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Aro and @Cranium
Thank you.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
So imo the best would be the old one using frames 17-36, though a lot closer to the ring (without the long thin part) and combined with the brightness/texture of the new one (though keep some of the darker more blue spots and don't make the whole kawoosh white/bright blue).

Thanks. I didn't even notice.
Edit: I forgot to change the texture specular level back down. I was toying around with its specular level earlier and must've saved by accident.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
The ramp is a bit strange, since it shows steps which are angular too. Either make a flat angular ramp or a staircase, but not both in one. The height of the ramp could be also 2-3 steps lower. Remember, the instable vortex of the kawoosh would disintegrate the molecules of the ramp that are inside the ring, so the ramp should actually end close before the event horizon and don't go through it. And the ramp should be of course low enough, so it doesn't gets in contact with the kawoosh effect.

I did have doubts about the bumps on the ramp because they look incorrect from the render. Definitely will change the height of the ramp, looks a little too high. It was based off one of the newer series's ramps:
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/nup_135093_0406x.jpg

New.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  267.46 KB
 Viewed:  17481 Time(s)

New.gif

Cantdrawbutmod
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found this:

Like I thought,what I found weird in your kawoosh is that it open at the end (like a dune sandworm mouth).

edit: also,for the rings teleport,instead of a platform,you could use an anim like the dig anim of TS,to hide when the rings appear and disappear,to allow it to be used anywhere.

Last edited by Cantdrawbutmod on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The last kawoosh is really the best so far.
To make it perfect it would just need to be a tad bigger in its diameter when it's at its zenith imo.
Also try to make the 1. frame of the kawoosh blend better into the final frame of the closing event horizon. There is a too much visible step from one anim to the other. (a bright light flash could do the job to hide the jump from one to the other anim; this is also shown in Cantdrawbutmods' anim at the start and end of the kawoosh)
In addition a tad more inner movements would be nice (twists and turns in the surface). For that i would suggest you use the movie as reference since it has the best kawoosh imo. The series kawoosh looks too much like the "stone thrown in water" animation, while the movies kawoosh is more frayed out with small particles even flying away iirc.

For that you could use your last one as the main centre anim and create another one which you put ingame over the base anim, though with a 50% transparency. So you get an opaque inner part with a nice transparent corona. (e.g. look at the TI Nod Nuke firing anim for a combined animation of 3 SHPs playing at the same time with one opaque, one 50%Translucency and one with 75%Translucency)

Public SHPs

Tools

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: stargate Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice, its pretty good

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ Cantdrawbutmod
Thank you, thats been very useful. I've was using YouTube videos before.
I'll try that when I get the chance.

@ Lin Kuei Ominae
I've added the flash and changed the Kawoosh part a bit. I haven't had the time to adjust the ripples at the end but that shouldn't take too long. Once I change fix the displacement and do what you suggested, the ripples will turn out better.

Edit: I'm going to start the whole animation from scratch. I think I figured out a easier way to make it than what I have currently.

Edit: New version, I just need to make a better transition, change the Kawoosh color and get rid of the parts that go a little crazy.

Stargate NEw.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.78 KB
 Viewed:  17263 Time(s)

Stargate NEw.gif

Tower.gif
 Description:
Also, here is something kinda funny, the ring transporter animation was totally screwed up and ended up with this.
 Filesize:  157.58 KB
 Viewed:  17323 Time(s)

Tower.gif

Last edited by Edge on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total

iNs0MNiaC
Medic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keep the original animation for the gate opening ''wooshing'' but add the start and the end from the new one. Then it will be perfect in my oppinion.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: SG-1 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

like it all, might be something to use at a later time

Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I finally have the beginning and the Kawoosh. I have a new ending that looks much better. Not sure how to make the ripples fit in.

Edit: Worked a little on the Puddle Jumper.

Puddle(WIP).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.52 KB
 Viewed:  17160 Time(s)

Puddle(WIP).png

sg.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.93 KB
 Viewed:  17167 Time(s)

sg.gif

Stargate5.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  254.46 KB
 Viewed:  17176 Time(s)

Stargate5.gif

iNs0MNiaC
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Epic!

Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In-game. Looks kinda weird just floating, I'll rework the base for it.

Laughing

SGate.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.44 KB
 Viewed:  17087 Time(s)

SGate.jpg

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Need the Ramp + animation. Though I could see the rings from the sky as a potential chronosphere device.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The reason it looks weird when floating is just because it lacks a shadow. All of your stuff seems to lack shadows on the ground.

Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They definitely do lack shadows. Its just the gate doesn't look right without the ramp imo. Even with the shadow, it still looks weird.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it was buried slightly up the the inner edge it would probably look fine.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: stargate Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edge wrote:
They definitely do lack shadows. Its just the gate doesn't look right without the ramp imo. Even with the shadow, it still looks weird.

I can agree with this. If the gates are for show but functional then make the ramp a terrain piece, so they will actually walk down the ramp like in the show.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An early frame has some of the blue outside the ring.

stargate.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.61 KB
 Viewed:  16926 Time(s)

stargate.png

Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Taking a break from the Stargate and going to try making some people.

I don't know too well about how infantry work in YR.
Is there a limit to the amount of frames each animation can be?

Walking.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.7 KB
 Viewed:  16844 Time(s)

Walking.gif

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: wip Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not bad, something that might help you. the videos were designed for 3d max, but some of the info in them can be used for any 3d program.

Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I've seen them all awhile ago.

Update.

Walking.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.42 KB
 Viewed:  16813 Time(s)

Walking.gif

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yr infantry as 6 walk frames and attackframes for each direction...
if you are doing complete new infantry and replace all existing i would go for 12 walkframes and attackframes

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: wip Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can you make your new one bit bigger? The preview image, just so we can see bit better

daviperdragon
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you do a Pegasus galaxy stargate too?

Edge
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes after this school quarter is finished. I don't have time at the moment.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

raminator wrote:
i would go for 12 walkframes and attackframes

I wouldn't make too many frames, because
a) the animation speed can't be raised/adjusted via ini keys
b) the longer animation take more time to play and thus the slower animation might not fit anymore the ingame movement speed, which would give infantry the ice-skating look.

Thus the amount of walk frames depends on the size of the unit and the size of each step. The bigger or slower the unit, the more frames it can have.

Public SHPs

Tools

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this was a topic is dead 3 years, but I contacted the original poster of the topic, but in case he is no longer around I found this might be something I could use.

I am curious the the Stargate rings...... It has been a long time since I used the ChronoSphere. I have taken all the IMO worthless junk from the game, but after watching an episode of SG1 on DVD I need to know if the Stargate rings could replace the chronosphere animation. Sorry if this hard to understand Ive been up almost 2 days. And also the Stargate. This could be used like the tunnel system correct? make a 2 by 1 cell terrain tile that looks like the gate without the animation

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2 cell wide tunnels do not wwork good IIRC so you would have to get an embiggened version + I think if you mke the stargate be the tunnel units might just go though the gate and go forward as if they were going though a regular tunnel so you would probably have to make some kind of a "tube" or a flow.

And I also don't think it would be great for a chronosphere animation.

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it is higly the tunnel would not  have no animation, unless there is a code within the game to play an animation when entering a cell. I dont know I have not looked into it

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [46 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon