Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:03 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Orbital Command Station [WIP]
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject:  Orbital Command Station [WIP] Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A massive WIP station. Command seat of the Heliopolis Empire's military. This station is just a work in progress, so it still has much needed to be done.. I still have to add defensive weapons, Tiara Dock, and the flight control wing (which sits dead center between the two large bays). I also need to make the OHNI and HDC wing, which sits on the rear portion (unseen from this angle). The docking bays also need large amounts of work.

I just want a few opinions on it. Smile

Backstory: The EVA station (Eridaanis Va'alo Abeni in Helios Native Tongue, translated as City of the Stars) is the single largest (in terms of mass and volume) manmade object in the known galaxy. This station is one of many that orbit the Helios homeworld, and is the home to the Office of Helios Naval Intelligence (OHNI), Helios Artificial Intelligence Core (HAIC), and Helios Defense Command (HDC). EVA Station sits in geosynchronous orbit above the Homeworld's not-so-cleverly-named capitol, Helios City. The station has the ability to connect with the several Tiara Stations (not seen here), the orbital elevator system, to resupply from the planet. The elevator system is cheaper and more efficient than using transport ships from the surface.

EVA station also has several unique abilities. Being home to the Helios Military Command, the station is a high-value target. It is one of only a handful of stations in the galaxy that have the ability to make a Slip-Space jump. This is only possible through the use of the AI Core's significant processing power. Another unique ability is that the EVA station can repair, refit, and even construct the largest ship class in the Helios Navy, the Dakara Class Superdreadnaught. Only one other space-faring facility, the Saraykent Orbital Shipyard, has a bay large enough for this task. EVA station has two of these bays.

Here are some tech specs.

All measurement data is in Galactic Standard Meter [1GSM=2.31 meters], Galactic Standard Tonne [1GST=3.13 metric tonnes], and Galactic Standard hours [1GSH=1.013 Hours]

-Technical Specifications:
Length: 8450GSM
Width: 5018GSM
Hight: 3825GSM
Mass: 1.56 Trillion GST
Power: 2X Antimatter Accelerator Core
-Population Data:
Maximum Population (not including transportation hub): 85000
Average Population (not including transportation hub): 52750
Transportation Hub: ~15000 Transit Daily
Military/Civilian Ratio: 2.35 Military / 1 Civilian
-Ship Capacity
Superdreadnaught Bays: 2 [Note: These bays are primarily used for maintenance on large cargo vessels during peacetime operations]
Civilian Transport Capacity: 2 Runner bays
Runner Bay Capacity: 250 Ships Frigate sized or smaller ships or 100 Cruiser sized ships
Civilian Transport Hub: 304 hard-dock ports per runner bay
Average Dock Clearance Wait: 2.1GSH
Average Hard Dock Time: .83GSH

EVA core.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.47 MB
 Viewed:  5754 Time(s)

EVA core.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
iNs0MNiaC
Medic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As much as I love sci-fi... This looks pretty darn dull..

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sort of agree, but I do so in a more constructive manner.

I like my space stations with a little bit of meat on them, much like Babylon 5. This doesn't look as if it has all the necessary facilities to be self sustaining and safe - electricity supply (on Babylon 5, the solar panels and fusion reactor achieve this), sensory equipment, stabilizing rockets, and in some cases fighter bays (shown in the image on the top, and house dozens of "Star Fury" fighters). Also, for realism, in Babylon 5 the station rotates about itself to achieve the appearance of internal gravity. This has the effect that the fighter bays don't need any sort of launch apparatus and just let the spacecraft go. The craft then fall away from the station as the bay rotates out from under them.

Or there's the lower tech approach, with Niska's Skyplex. This one is a bit more flimsy and functional, with a look of never being totally complete. it's more like a rest stop than a real orbital city.
Niska's skyplex has more than a little in common with The station from 2001: A space odyssey, with the cyclic design. This one also generates its own pseudo-gravity by spinning, which is obvious from said cylindrical layout.

The important thing to remember, in my opinion, is that in space up and down are relative concepts, and so structures and vehicles in space don't need an obvious top or bottom. You can build off in any direction, although some directions will be better used if rotation is the way in which gravity is being generated.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As said, it is very dull. Adding more details to texture and additional external modules would improve it's look.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: WIP Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Um.....WIP??? Work in Progress?? Did you guys miss that??

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This reminds me of the Star Trek spacedocks a bit.

IMO it's already nice.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Give it some biospheres and the likes.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The entire point of this station is that it is extremely heavily armored (henced the dual-armor plating, and dense construction.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the words of MGS Soliders, "Huh, just a box".

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A box that can withstand heavy bombardment, it could be a life saver Very Happy

Looking forward to seeing the final...

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Give it a forceshield and make it look nicer? #Tongue

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:

The cowards! The fools!

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

daTS wrote:
The entire point of this station is that it is extremely heavily armored (henced the dual-armor plating, and dense construction.

Looks like a single well-aimed strike into the hangar would blow it from inside.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doesn't have to be well aimed, since there's such gaping holes in the ends. A carelessly aimed nuclear warhead would turn the thing into slag easily.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
CCHyper wrote:

The cowards! The fools!

Chickenhead, rename the station to "Rhino".

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
Doesn't have to be well aimed, since there's such gaping holes in the ends. A carelessly aimed nuclear warhead would turn the thing into slag easily.

Firstly, it has missile countermeasures, as the point guardian lasers can hit any incoming missile projectile. Secondly, even if the nuclear weapon somehow penetrates the point defenses, the kinetic barriers that guard the bays are activated when a projectile reaches a certain velocity, the missile will strike the barrier shield.

Ships have to enter fairly slowly to keep from activating the barriers shields. All ships are scanned for nuclear and other weapons, and the interior weapons constantly scan for weapons activation and locks. Should a ship activate its weapons, they will have 10 seconds to deactivate or the ship will be obliterated by the MG point lasers. All ship shields are shut down prior to entry as a precaution.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sadly that's all in fluff #Tongue

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It definitely needs a lot small details so you can see the size. Without them there is no reference giving the true size, so it could be 1 meter or 1000.

Right now the pipes at the end are the only way to estimate the size and these look like only a few meters big.
e.g. a small control tower between the 2 hangars could show the size or some small antennas on the side as well as tiny turrets all over the surface.

Some small ships flying next to the station can help making it looking bigger too.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

daTS wrote:
Orac wrote:

Firstly, it has missile countermeasures, as the point guardian lasers can hit any incoming missile projectile. Secondly, even if the nuclear weapon somehow penetrates the point defenses, the kinetic barriers that guard the bays are activated when a projectile reaches a certain velocity, the missile will strike the barrier shield.

Ships have to enter fairly slowly to keep from activating the barriers shields. All ships are scanned for nuclear and other weapons, and the interior weapons constantly scan for weapons activation and locks. Should a ship activate its weapons, they will have 10 seconds to deactivate or the ship will be obliterated by the MG point lasers. All ship shields are shut down prior to entry as a precaution.

I see no sign of these on your metal box? Are they hidden on the immaculately rendered interior, or somewhere on the back?

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the render's not done, you goofs. hence the WIP status. Wink

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nuff said.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love sins.. I'll take a look at the battlestations and see what ideas i can come up with.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon