Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:54 am
All times are UTC + 0
PPM Announces: PPM Market Zone!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [48 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject:  PPM Announces: PPM Market Zone!
Subject description: This topic will be sold by $1.30 US dollars in 10 days. Read it while it's free!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ladies and gentlemen! Today we have a special announcement in PPM that will change the way you view and treat the hobby of modding as a whole.

In the next days, we'll implement the PPM Market Zone. It's a feature in our forums that will allow users to sell digital content of any kind, as long as it is an attached file in the forums. You'll be able to collect money with your own efforts and, if you are skilled enough, you might be able to make it become your real job. It works in a very simple way:

1) Attach the file you wanna sell in a post.
2) Setup the price you wanna sell it. Note that there will be an additional $0.30 US dollars fee per transaction destinated to keep the server running.
3) Attach the bbcode [sell="YY.YY"]XXXXX[/sell], where XXXXX is the attachment ID and YY.YY is the cost in US dollars.
4) Publish the topic.

In order to activate this service, you'll need to fill an upcoming field in your profile called Paypal account. You must have a business account there.

Users will be able to pay you for your content using credit/debit cards, paypal and etc. Bear in mind that once a product is bought, there will be no refund. However, moderators and administrators of the forum you post your content will be able to download it for free, so we'll be able to banish products that violates copyrights, damage users or doesn't credit authors.

You'll be able to sell any item smaller than 8mb. You'll be able to sell voxels, 3d models, SHPs, maps, tools, musics and even tutorial codes. However, we'll not allow users to sell mods from non-freeware games, due to the end user liscense agreement. You'll also be able to update your existing attachments into comercial products, as well as attach free content like we always did here. The current free content will remain free until the author adds the sell bbcode into it. Once a product becomes comercialized, we'll ban who distributes it for free in our forums and outside it, as long as there is a link proving the crime.

We recommend setting low cost for most products, since most visitors may not spend several dollars in resources. One dollar for most resources is more than enough, unless you have made a real master piece. Also, make sure you have a good preview of your item when you post it here.

Be aware that this feature will be under testing stages and we may perfect it as soon as we gain more experience. I hope you enjoy it. The market should be opened in about 10 days or less. For more information, you can read the rules HERE.

Key Words: #News #PPMMarketZone #April1stBelieveItOrNot 

Last edited by Banshee on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

- Voxels
- 2D graphics, cameos, icons, etc

Sell.

Seriously?

EDIT: Oh wait. ICWUDT.

Last edited by Speeder on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seriously, although I'm not sure how many people would actually buy it. It might be easier to sell something else.

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hrmm i understand putting it up for the sake of helping pay server costs but well...i just dont like the idea. I personally did all my mapping because it was fun and people could just download it...and that's how i'm going to continue if i ever finish more stuff. And in all seriousness if stuff starts to require me to pay even $0.50USD to download...i'll probably even stop logging into here and i certainly won't be downloading anything if that becomes the case.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You'll still be able to publish content for free (and free content will not pay the server fee). Just don't use the upcoming sell bbcode in your posts.

Ordosherrscher
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my honest opinion, it isn't a very good idea :-/
There are several aspects - first one:
-the maximal filesize is limited to 8 MB. It may be sufficient for a litte map/shp/voxel/... pack, but in the main case, it wont be enough for something actually useful, like a new tool.
-Through the fee, no one would buy single parts, since the fee may even double the prize. Additional it may be too complicated to buy it anyway ...
-I doubt that many would sell their work anyway. I would bet, that most user did it for fun and to contribute something to the community (like I tried, even though I completely failed^^).
-the possible content is limited to:
TS/TD/RA/DuneII(?) and self-written tools. Like I said before, the filesize limitation may be problematic for the program. ...
-In all honesty - I doubt that the whole comminity will be completely honest, and this is a prerequeresite for that project. Even if the admins/moderators may be able to download it for free, you will never be able to check everything, IMO. And since you can't get your money back, you will be very careful and won't risk much.
Then again, if Moderators are allowed to download it for free, no one will publice anything really valuable, and thus the prize won't breach a certain limit anyway.

Sorry Ban, but IMO its a bad idea :-/

Think of me as Nordos, 'cause Banshee wouldn't rename me

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't see the point in selling voxels, 2D graphics and maps for games that are 12+ years old.

No one will buy them.

CL4ymOr3
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I totally don´t like the idea at all..
If this happens i will stop logging in the forums..

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
-the maximal filesize is limited to 8 MB. It may be sufficient for a litte map/shp/voxel/... pack, but in the main case, it wont be enough for something actually useful, like a new tool.

That's a server limit that I cannot raise. But you'd still be able to sell tools. All you need to sell is the executable and, once the user runs it, it should be able to download the remaining parts inside the program. If you do that, you can sell it well within 8mb. VXLSE III latest beta does that automatically for free and it wasn't hard to code it at all. Most programs posted in this community are smaller than 8mb, including VXLSE III, which is about 5mb.

Quote:
-I doubt that many would sell their work anyway. I would bet, that most user did it for fun and to contribute something to the community (like I tried, even though I completely failed^^).

PPM Market Zone is not expected to be sucessfull in a low term. People will need to learn and get used to the system.

Quote:
-In all honesty - I doubt that the whole comminity will be completely honest, and this is a prerequeresite for that project. Even if the admins/moderators may be able to download it for free, you will never be able to check everything, IMO. And since you can't get your money back, you will be very careful and won't risk much.

That's something we'll have to learn how it works and improve the system as soon as things happens. At the moment we can ban creatures and cut all their downloads. So, getting an account banned will be more expensive for the problematic member. We'll also be able to ban paypal accounts, so the person will need to create another paypal account as well. Other than that, we'll have to figure out other ideas to improve moderation.

Quote:
Then again, if Moderators are allowed to download it for free, no one will publice anything really valuable, and thus the prize won't breach a certain limit anyway.

We are not expecting expensive items here and the number of moderators is quite low in almost every section here.

Quote:
I don't see the point in selling voxels, 2D graphics and maps for games that are 12+ years old.

No one will buy them.

Who said that your target needs to be restricted to these games? You can create graphics that are worth using in multiples maps. But I know that voxels and maps have its limits. They can be sold in packages. Voxels will soon be ported to newer games as well, as 3D models, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by Volgin on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee, what the hell?
I hope this says enough.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not comercializing anything. Those who produce these assets will have the option of comercializing it or not. We'll still promote the submission of free resources here, although we'll let people use this forum to comercialize them and, to use this service, their clients will pay $0.30 per transaction.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could foresee some of those 'tards wanting to sell their mods and stuff trying this, eh...

Oh yeah Banshee, what happened to the [center][/center] BBCode? Is it borked or what?

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use <center> and </center> Destiny Wink

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee, fail. Your a day early.

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can I just donate whenever I got a few extra caps?

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Von Kriplespac wrote:

good point. semi-bad grammar.

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This better be a preemptive April Fools strike.

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ixith wrote:

good point. semi-bad grammar.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Timezones, man. It's already April 1st here.

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But not in Brazil....unless if its April 1st there everyday.

MT
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Magnificant Idea Banshee. So, how much profit will PPM administration skim off of every transaction? I think we're on the road to success with this, let me give you my card.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If this had a poll I'd vote no.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steam

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed FQ, indeed.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MT wrote:
Magnificant Idea Banshee. So, how much profit will PPM administration skim off of every transaction? I think we're on the road to success with this, let me give you my card.

PPM administration would 'skim off' about 27 cents per transaction or something like that, since PayPal would also charge for it. Considering that there wouldn't be much transactions if you take into account the amount of submissions that this community receives monthly and how many people would be willing to pay for downloaded content, I believe that it would simply reduce the costs a bit and instead of paying $50 per month to keep the PPM's space in the server, I'd still pay over 49 dollars on most months.

Quote:

It seems that you are not aware of something called internet. In internet, a day starts in Kirimati, at Christmas Islands (GMT +14) and ends in Howland Island (GMT -12). I don't need to follow my own timezone and posts made in april 1st on my timezone are not necessarily in april 1st in other regions... and even if I post something in april 1st at the timezone of any region does not necessarily mean I'm lying.

Quote:
If this had a poll I'd vote no.

Why?

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: PPM Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait.....so when I post up my road templates and people want them they will have to pay for them?

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No. They won't have to pay for them unless you take the initiative to add a sell bbcode to your post.

If you simply post am attachment in a message, people will download it for free in the same way it is done right now.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: PPM Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a post, but it disappeared.....anyway

Ok, cool.....I figured with all the tools created so far maybe my templates could help others make their own. As long as they like the way I created mine. I figured with all the help I got from the RA2 community I could try and give something back.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Why?

Because selling a voxel or a map makes you a self-absorbed asshole and even suggesting the idea of selling resources that should be free makes you a bigger one. I really hope, for your sake, that this is a gigantic April Fools Joke. If it's not, and you're actually serious, I'll make damn sure everyone boycotts the fuck out of /ppm/.

Steam

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: ppm Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol.....funny video

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the land of, errr... using your own expression here: 'self-absorbed assholes'.

There are many of them, in internet. Some even sell their own virginity and, compared to that, you must agree that selling a voxel or map is not bizarre. Anyway I agree that selling a voxel alone or a map is stupid, but the sell bbcode would allow people to try to sell any kind of item, even screenshots of mods or signatures (which would be even more stupid). Perhaps, in a future, a voxel will be more useful because it will be converted to a proper 3d model, but a map is indeed stupid.

@SaneDisruption:
If you like to generalize countries (which is something I don't agree with), check this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpw_9FFhfHI

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gettin' trolled again by Banshee.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee, it's not 1st April here, so it can't be 1st of April in Brazil, unless someone would waste their time to prove me wrong.

WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?! I DEMAND A CUT!

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Welcome to the land of, errr... using your own expression here: 'self-absorbed assholes'.

I know this is nothing but moronic trolling, but selling assets made for nothing in particular is not an issue. Selling assets for a commercial game, however, is an issue. Mostly because it's... you know... illegal.

Steam

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: PPM Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:

That's all for now, and for more information check PPM Modding Software Solutions site.

Think its April Fool joke from this link.

FurryQueen wrote:
Banshee wrote:

I know this is nothing but moronic trolling, but selling assets made for nothing in particular is not an issue. Selling assets for a commercial game, however, is an issue. Mostly because it's... you know... illegal.

Is it illegal to sell something you created? I mean, you use 3d max to make a tank, you use textures to give the tank color, you use the vxl maker to make it game format, you might even you Photoshop for some reason. That would be like me going to the art story and buying paint, a canvas, brushes, easel, cleaners and painting a picture of a house, then turning around and selling it.......isn't it the same concept? I'm not a lawyer but that would be the same thing, right?

In any case it doesn't effect me..... (though if I did want to sell something I made I would, let them try and sue)......thought I would give my 2 cents worth....nice joke if it is........get the masses in an uproar, lol

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ALL tools for RA2 are derived through Westwood's formats so anything made for them using the tools are derivative works from a commercial source. I mean, you're already breaking the EULA by modding so selling assets made specifically for the game is just illegal based upon the EULA we all agreed upon when installing the game.

Steam

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Banshee is taking this http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25258&highlight= thread idea into account.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong when it comes to selling creative artwork in form of a PSD, AI, and proprietary 3D file formats likeTurboSquid does. It would be interesting to sell Royalty Free content purely meant for game design like low-high poly models, textures, etc. whether the asset is for Game or 3D Cinematic s here at PPM.

But the filesize limited to 8MB makes this whole idea a prank + with the fact that how is PPM going to attract artists to a site purely meant for modding? I'm guessing April Fools from the start of seeing this topic and what EVA-251 pointing out the previous prank of course #Tongue

Quote:
Everybody knows a mod that doesn't update every ten seconds is dead.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After talking to you last night Banshee, I now hate you #Tongue

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
you use 3d max to make a tank, you use textures to give the tank color, you use the vxl maker to make it game format, you might even you Photoshop for some reason

Because you own a legitimate license to produce commercial products from those programs?

Also, just because you can snatch textures off of a google image search doesn't mean you can use them for commercial purposes either. A vast majority of the entire modding community of games is composed of pirated software and using assets which are not owned by the individual producing the mod content.

If this is an April Fool's joke: K
If not: K

@the Amuricanos are dumb: All these videos don't have much of a point besides creating contention. People are dumb, that's been established a long time ago.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The fact that so many veteran/longtime members of the community took the bait is quite amusing.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
ALL tools for RA2 are derived through Westwood's formats so anything made for them using the tools are derivative works from a commercial source. I mean, you're already breaking the EULA by modding so selling assets made specifically for the game is just illegal based upon the EULA we all agreed upon when installing the game.

You are overreacting here. If you use a third party tool that imitates the file type used in a specific comercial game and you create your own resource from scratch, you are not doing anything illegal.

If you use a tool from the game and create a resource for the game, then you are creating a derivative work. This is why we are not accepting maps from Red Alert 2 and newer games for sale, since Final Alert 2 was bought by Westwood.

Another reason for accepting resources from older games is that they are now freeware. So, if you go to EA site and download them, you no longer need to agree with the EULA of these games to play them.

Quote:
But the filesize limited to 8MB makes this whole idea a prank + with the fact that how is PPM going to attract artists to a site purely meant for modding?

The limit is 8mb per file, but not 8mb for all files. Considering that most graphics are still smaller than 8mb, specially when zipped, it's still attractive.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well this was a good april fools joke. Too bad you didn't release final dawn, nobody'd believe it. :V

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Was I the only person here that would litteraly not give a shit regardless? Its the damn internet. You can steal the stuff for free... :/

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure you'd have a different opinion if you were the one interested in selling content.

Anyway guys, yes, this is an april's fools prank and I hope you've enjoyed it.

I'll post another news about this topic soon and, this time, we'll have a proper discussion about it.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow guys, you really know how to blow things out of proportions Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [48 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!