Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:23 am
All times are UTC + 0
PPM Fall 2010 SHP Building Contest Results
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject:  PPM Fall 2010 SHP Building Contest Results Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are the results and downloads of the 2010 SHP Building Contest:

===Cranium===

Game: RA2/YR
Animated: yes
Cameo: yes
Buildup: yes
Snow version: yes

Looks like a remake of the Allied Airforce Command, or the RA2 Allied Radar.

Originality: 22/25 points

Remakes of the Allied Airforce Command are rather common, but a completely new design is rare.

Functionality: 25/25 points

Looks like this one has everything: buildup anims, active anims, and a cameo.

Cohesion: 20/25 points

While it has textures, it has a seperate theme, that fails to fit with any of the existing armies. A nice addition for a TC mod, but I don't think it would fit in the original game.

Aesthetics: 25/25 points

This entry is really detailed, and has everything. It is also the only entry with a snow version, which is pretty rare for custom-created structures to have.

Total: 92/100

Screenshot:

Download:
click

===4stargeneral===

Game: RA2/YR
Cameo: no
Snow version: no

Some kind of Grand Cannon remake.

Originality: 15/25 points

Base defence remakes are common, but I haven't seen many 2x2 defence remakes.

Functionality: 15/25 points

I ain't sure if the firing anim would work the way you intended. Still, coders can use the generic turret if the firing anim fails. I also fail to notice what the active anim actually does. I see some kind of shadow movement at the bottom, but not much more.

Cohesion: 5/25 points

The lack of textures makes it hard to fit in with any of the current
factions.

Aesthetics: 5/25 points

It seems to be lacking textures. I ain't sure if this is intentional or not. Because of this, it looks really bland, and doesn't fit in with any of the
excisting armies. The buildup anim isn't that spectacular either, but it is
there.

Total: 40/100

Screenshot:

Download:
click

===Joshy===

Game: TS/FS
Buildup: no

A remake of the Firestorm Generator.

Originality: 25/25 points

The Firestorm Generator is not a structure I'd see someone remake soon.

As it uses the same anims as the TS Firestorm Generator, you don't need to fiddle around with ini files to get it to work.

Cohesion: 25/25 points

It would fit in with the other GDI structures from TS.

Aesthetics: 15/25 points

It looks really good. For me, this is the best-looking structure in the whole
competition. It's a real shame you didn't include any real buildup anim,
or made a snow version.

Total: 90/100

Screenshot:

Download:
click

===LKO===

Game: TS/FS

An alternative Nod Tiberium Silo from the looks of it.

Originality: 22/25 points

A Tiberium Silo remake is not done much. It also has a similar style as the Nod structures in TS, compared to the normal TS Silo.

As with Cranium's entry, this one has everything: buildup anims, active anims, and a cameo.

This can fit in with the global Nod theme in TS with no problems.

Aesthetics: 20/25 points

While it has everything needed to be used with no problems, the design looks odd to me. For some reason, it looks really fragile, with the small beams and glass. I do like the remappable glass, and the glowing logo. As with Joshy, shame it didn't include a snow version.

Total: 92/100

Screenshot:

Download:
click

Note: PPM nor the Authors nor Dutchygamer is responsible for what happens when you use these SHP's. This includes incorrect coding, invisible structures, epic ownage by AI, Rapture, spontaneous combustion of PC and/or user, or invasion by the Shyborg Commander

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mine is so embarrassing when compared to the rest. Forgot textures and for some reason ultrabright. But eh, it was worth it to at least have this contest happen.

Love the Firestorm Generator, can tell whats going on in it more than WW's.

Very nice glass effect on the small Pyramid structure.

Thanks for posting this Dutchy.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why in the hell does Joshy's entry have full points on 'Functionality' with buildup practically absent? Oh well, not that it does matter much anyways.

In regards to entries, my personal favourite is probably LKO's pyramid silo. Good usage of translucency to create glass effect and interesting, altough as has been stated, slightly fragile looking design for a tiberium silo.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
An alternative Nod Tiberium Silo from the looks of it.

Actually a Nod Tib Silo and not an alternative. Wink Since the vanilla TS tibsilo is more in GDI style, i wanted to give Nod its own silo.
It was also planned and made for the small buildings contest (which was then changed to this bigger contest), which had the rule to fit into the original TS/RA2 buildings. So i wanted to make something useful (instead of another base defense or building replacement), and the double owned silo screamed imo for a side specific Nod silo. Wink
That just as explanation for those who are interested, why i did this.

Judging by the pictures (havent downloaded them yet) i would say from the others is Craniums the best.
Joshys second though i wouldn't have given that much points in originality, as it is just a remake and not a complete new design and i think it could also do with some better textures. It looks like it uses only different colors for different parts and i don't see any textures except the damage scorch marks.
4stargeneral's design looks interesting, though it isn't my taste of design. For me it looks too unrealistic and the base is quite undetailed. However i like the amount of detail put in the barrel and the rotation mechanism. And as already said it could do with some textures.

All in all i would say this was a successful contest, as the submissions are of high quality and only the other judges results should be finished, so a final result can be announced.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great job to everyone. They all look nice.

I've always liked LKO's glass work that he does. Razz

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joshy's Firestrom Generator stands out from the rest. I really like how the solar panels are arrayed around the firestorm.

LKO's Tiberium Silo looks more like a church, no offense dude #Tongue

Quote:
Everybody knows a mod that doesn't update every ten seconds is dead.

deltapilot
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LKO's does kinda look like a church, but i like that because nod is religious. it could be used in some nod shrine/sanctuary or something but nice work especially
joshy and LKO. Smile

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30346

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The contest would of been better if it were actually organized properly. In future, someone who plans on entering the contest should not host it. Confused
I was supposed to judge the entries in the competition, but I have a serious free-time shortage, and I wouldn't of been of much use since the laptop I am currently using doesn't even have a disc-drive, therefore I'd be unable to run RA2/YR properly to test the SHP's.

Just a note by the way: 4StarGeneral's entry is an AQUATIC Grand Cannon, that is why it is shaped how it is, though some ripple effects around the support cylinder would of done wonders to give off a better feel to that image and, of course, some good textures wouldn't of hurt.

I don't know if it's just me, but Joshy's score seems to be greatly biased. There is no doubt about it that it's an excellent model, but it still has loads of room for improvement. I'm not attacking either Joshy or Dutchy, but the overall score of the Firestorm Generator remake (Originality?) should be drastically rethought.

Quote:

As it uses the same anims as the TS Firestorm Generator, you don't need to fiddle around with ini files to get it to work.

It doesn't have a Build-Up or Snow Frames nor does it use new fitting animations, I fail to see how it can have perfect functionality...

Quote:

It would fit in with the other GDI structures from TS.

It really doesn't. It stands out far too much from that of Tiberian Sun's current structures, but that is because the quality of this remake is fairly high. The only place I can think of that this would fit in is a total conversion mod.

Quote:
It's a real shame you didn't include any real buildup anim,
or made a snow version.

A Damage frame that wasn't made in SHP builder in less than 30 seconds would of been nice too.

Overall: Nice job though, to all of you. Hopefully the next PPM competition won't be so horrendously organized.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh, I hardly call it prejudged, more that I don't fully understand the meaning of some of the words for this contest. I blame my imperfect knowledge of English.
I tried to judge it by my best feelings, and this is my result. If there where other judges (or better said, if the other judges would had their results), the results would probably be different.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice buildings. LKO's looks almost like it could be a scrin design

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure LKO's really looks like a Nod structure, or even a TibSun structure for that matter. It's a nice idea but it's way too unconventional to suit vanilla TS. Based on usability Cranium's is the best IMO (though considering he has the 3D models the cameo could have been loads better #Tongue).

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my defense, I tried to make some ripple effects on the base (thus the active anim I forgot I made), and failed miserably considering I couldn't get the shadows to look correct with the wave effect.

LKO's does fit with the pyramid that was included in vanilla FS, not to mention the stained glass on the temple of Nod.

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it me or do they all look incomplete?

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
LKO's does fit with the pyramid that was included in vanilla FS, not to mention the stained glass on the temple of Nod.
It would if only the top section was made of glass, but currently it's only glass and the metal frame which is too shiny for TS IMO.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4stargeneral your model is great, but the missing texture is making it look bad. Can you make a version 2 of it?

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm flabbergasted at the fact that a building with no snow or buildup frames makes such high marks. The judging and organization is a joke for this competition. The only good thing that came out were the assets.

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Volgin wrote:
I'm flabbergasted at the fact that a building with no snow or buildup frames makes such high marks. The judging and organization is a joke for this competition. The only good thing that came out were the assets.

Actually, i have to agree with Volgin, some of the score was in wrong places, as each factor is different and should not misunderstood from each other, also the organization...IMHO...failed, i mean, you guys some moments in the competition topic couldn't agree with something like who was or not judging, and who had the assets. =/

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of you guys take shit way to seriously, It's just a damn friendly and fun competition FFS! I know it's the last one I'll ever enter. Seems to be a waste of time anymore anyway.

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, cut your bitching about my judging will you guys? As said, if the other judges did their jobs, the results would most likely be different. Also, consider this my first and last time as judge if I keep getting feedback like this Rolling Eyes
I'm requesting a locky before this turns into a full-blown bash -and flamefest.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yay, congrats all.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: ppm 2010 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well 4StarGeneral, why don't you post up a pic of how it was suppose to look. Maybe there is someone out there who could use it.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, i'm not critizing, i'm tellingwhat i tough about that from what i saw, and yeah i dunno, i was expecting what i aready said previously, and no, i don't think theres an reason to lock this, no flame or anything, you know, just opinions. Rolling Eyes

Anyways, good work for everyone who got into the competition, all stuff is great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!