Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:34 am
All times are UTC + 0
Feature showcase: Topology Analysis & Increase Resolution.
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject:  Feature showcase: Topology Analysis & Increase Resolution.
Subject description: Yes, it is possible to get great normals with the new Increase Resolution + Auto Normals.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been adding some features for beta versions of VXLSE III that may aid some of you to obtain excellent normals for your voxel model. Here's a quick demonstration of some of the features. First of all, make sure you have VXLSE III 1.39.140 or a newer version of the program.

Once your voxel is opened and almost finished, go to Tool -> Quality Analysis -> Topology Analysis.

It analyses the face neighbourhood of each voxel to predict which ones will get good normals and which ones will not reflect light to the correct direction.

If your score is low (anything below 75%), leave the topology analysis and go to Section -> Increase Resolution. Then, check the quality of the topology again to check the difference.

The Increase Resolution feature doubles the size of your voxel, but ensures that every voxel will get at least one neighbour face. And it does that keeping the object looking as close as its original shape. That improves the 'behaviour' of the voxels, but it makes the game run a bit slower (the model will be heavier).

Tip of the day: Perfect Normals

Now, test the auto normals after increasing the resolution. Use Cubed Auto-Normals instead of Tangent Plane and keep all other settings untouched. And praise the results. Even your craziest models will look good.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did anyone tried it or nobody bothered?

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried it with voxels from my mod and those just lying around on my HD. Considering it seems to mainly check if voxels have neighbouring voxels (if I am right), filled out (partially or just from the 'edges', so to say) voxel graphics seem to score fairly high, I had hard time finding anything that would score below 90%, and for those which did I was able to guess that it would hand out a lower score before I ran the tool. Oh and I did find atleast one unit voxel in my mod that had perfect 100% (this one) #Tongue.

I think 'Increase resolution' might be useful in certain cases, definitely better than the 'Full resize', which was your only option in the past if you wanted to up-scale your voxel graphics.

I'd say pretty useful tool for identifying certain types of problems with voxel graphics. Altough even with perfect or near-perfect voxel topology & normals you can ruin the whole damn thing with piss poor coloring job.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll run a few .vxl's tonight and post my results.

I have to say, this is looking very impressive so far. Very Happy

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If your model has a lone voxel (a pixel alone, lost, flying in the middle of nowhere), your score is 0, independently of the rest of the model.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not bad for something I made 4 yrs ago Razz

dessert assult vehicle.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.21 KB
 Viewed:  11877 Time(s)

dessert assult vehicle.png

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

O.K. how do I go about fixing these?. I tried like hell for the past 4 hrs trying to get a 100% score and failed. Can you explain a little bit more on how to achieve a 100% score. Attached pic to show what I'm talking about.

and why does the topology tool say there is 29928 vxls and the 3d preview says there is 46410 vxls?

mobile missile launch.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.61 KB
 Viewed:  11842 Time(s)

mobile missile launch.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This score was just a first and quick attempt to rate the quality of the volume shape. Don't take it strictly to heart, because there are some serious mistakes which I'll fix once I manage to tone down my stress.

Anyway, if you use Increase Resolution once, you'll be able to obtain perfect results with Cubed Auto Normals, regardless of not reaching 100% score.

But, if you are curious about the things you've spotlighted in your picture, here we go:

1) Manifold Voxels, 2 Possible Normals: These are voxels that have at least one face neighbour in two axis and no face neighbours in the third axis.

2) Manifold Voxels, Ambiguous Normals: These are voxels that have at least one face neighbour in one axis and no face neighbours in the second and third axis.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So where is the increase resolution thingy? Nevermind I got it. And thanks for clarifying the other things.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for joining relatively late to the party, but I only had opportunity to try out this thing today.

First, Increase Resolution is awesome. It has a tiny issue with aliasing remap red with using brick, I noticed, but it still beats Full Resize hands down.

And yeah, Cubed also works nicely there... all in all, you did an amazing job there.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could Increase Resolution be extended? I think this feature could be golden if it allowed a range of resize options: 25%, 33%, 50%, 100%, 200% and also had a few options regarding the voxel's colors: no blur, blur.

I have a number of small voxels that could use this feature but at 2x become far too big, and I'm not too sold on voxel-bounds resizing.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's complicated to extend it to other sizes, because it is the nature of the algoritm that it uses is to double the size of the model. Maybe, I could let it resize down the voxel after it doubles it, but all its abilities to fix the topology of the model would be gone. And, changing the bounds would provide a much better result than resizing it down, even if it would be a bit heavier in game.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't want resizing downwards, I just want other upsizing options. 25% bigger, 33% bigger, 50% bigger. Double is nice but leaves way too much to work with.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, if you double it and then resize down, you'd get the effects of increasing resolution in 25%, 33%, etc bigger than the current size (before doubling it).

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum