Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:03 pm
All times are UTC + 0
ModEnc shutting down?
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [53 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject:  ModEnc shutting down? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I looked at some Ares stuff on ModEnc this morning, and what I saw at the top of the page disturbed me a bit:

ModEnc wrote:
ModEnc is looking for a Maintainer
ModEnc is looking for someone to assume responsibility for the continuous and complete maintainance of ModEnc. This includes daily administration (fixing templates, combating spam, upholding policies), timely software upgrades (MediaWiki and extensions) and responsiveness to user issues.

Should no maintainer be found until 31.10.2012, the site will be shut down.
If you are interested, contact Renegade through IRC or the forums.

I admit that I don't visit the place that often, but it is a handy site for quick reference of small modding things, and it would be shame if it would die. Is this new information or am I being a Slowpoke here?

EDIT: now I'm looking more clearly: the news posts on the main page are also broken as hell. Emoticons and related are missing.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Time for a offline dump of ModEnc and someone to make a downloadable PDF.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ModEnc is indeed usable for quick reference. It will be very sad if it will be shut down.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
Time for a offline dump of ModEnc and someone to make a downloadable PDF.

Indeed. Even I still peek there for quick references on info i sometimes forget.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I noticed that yesterday. It writes on any single page in ini flags you open.
Seems that Renegade is serious.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am currently dumping the whole site to a directory. So I will create a torrent or something once completed.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aye, many thanks Hyper Smile

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shouldn't PPM's server be able to handle it?

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pd wrote:

Dunno, that is something we should ask Banshee about. That, and does Renegade allow it? It's still his site after all (afaik).

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pd wrote:

Yea, to be honest, I think it should be moved here too...

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I contacted Banshee. Hopefully he will come here and give answer if he can do that.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was watching this topic silently.

Anyway, PPM's webspace always welcomes initiatives like ModEnc. We've even tried to host a TS wiki in the past. The main question is... would Renegade allow it?

Last edited by Banshee on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do have to admit if ModEnc was part of PPM it would at least be updated more. Hell, it looks like PPM is becoming the hub of old C&C (TS/RA2) modding #Tongue
But yeah, the question is indeed if Renegade would allow it. I can only assume the reason that ModEnc is looking for a new admin is that he is sick and tired of the C&C community after the Ares debacle Confused

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
I was watching this topic silently.

Anyway, PPM's webspace always welcomes initiatives like ModEnc. We've even tried to host a TS wiki in the past. The main question is... would Renegade allow it?

TS Wiki failed because of the lack of time at that moment in time, to execute it right.

And there is no reason why we can not start our own. Its not like that the information on ModEnc is copyright, its public knowledge. And the technical stuff is pretty much easy to work out if you have the time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why don't we create a new forum in the Modding Central section and call it [name of TS & RA2 engine] Encyclopedia.
Inside, every tag get its own thread. The threads information is copied from modenc(if Renegade allow) or Deezires INI guide.
Tags is not the only thing that should be found there, information about IEs, AI etc should be there too.
Yes there would be a lot of threads, but there is a search function!
The advantage with this is that people can extend it with missing information, discuss it and ask questions.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And who gets the job of turning every article into a thread?

That's a lot of work mate.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea it certainly needs to stay as a wiki
turning every article into a thread on a forum is a massive step backwards and wouldnt work

Would likely be alot of work, but it would be nice if the wiki was in some way integrated with the forum
allowing posts following wiki entries and stuff (would work well for tutorials too)

certainly not necessary though, just a thought

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
The main question is... would Renegade allow it?

Well, back then he took most info from DeeZire (with permission) and last time I checked (long time ago though), there were still many pages that had a note about that. It'd be quite hypocritical if he didn't allow anybody else to take over now. After all, he's offering that.

Simply send him a PM here or on his forum or ask him on IRC, I guess.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What pd said.

I personally while I'd see it saved, I won't be the one doing it. I'm not a webdeveloper and I know nothing beyond HTML and pure forumadministrating.

And I don't have time for it to learn right now neither, sorry guys.

btw, Dutchy, it's out since Friday or Saturday IIRC.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ModEnc is shutting down over Ares? nah i think its more to do with reallife. hey we all have lifes outside CnC.
Ares is by far the hotest topic and mod exender in years since rockpatch and then the small but successfull Npatch.

I really doub't that was the reason over the shut down.

Some of it was bullying, but th major player here was that its not the whole story.
Renegade has said over and over that he is over stressed with workloads, i think banshee, having more free time could just take over (with premissions of course)

With Alex B having a heavy workload i doub't i would ask him and PD has had enough time helping with Ares teething problems.
As for Dcoder as much as the man has talent and heaps of enuthuism of Cnc. was banned form PPM (assuming you all still want Modenc here in PPM.) just a while ago and i don't think he personally wants to be anywhere near the project perfect Mod site for a while, (he may or may not come back but that is up to banshee to make.)

there are a few more coders to keep the tutorials up and runny like brittah commander and a few others but i don't think they have the talent that Renegade can trust other than Alex B and the questionable VK, where ever VK went to these days is also questionable dew to fanboy bullies.

so we have a Impasse on this situation, don't we?, ether we don't have enough talent or the talented are too busy or gone M.I.A.

PS: My money is on PD since the ever so good, rockpatch ,which spawned more mods than i can count. This my best bet for adminstive site of ModEnc or a added part of PPM (assuming renegade will ever talk or hand over power its all in his hands i just hope that nothing bad ends up happening) at this time.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
i think banshee, having more free time could just take over (with premissions of course)

ROFLMAO!!!!

What is free time?

Last edited by Banshee on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dubzac, what are you talking about?
Man I like you.
This is your best sentence in that wall of text
,,Some of it was bullying, but th major player here was that its not the whole story."
Hahahaha!
Kill me if I understand what it means.
But I did not know that Dcoder is banned from PPM. Hmm...
And Dubzac, that rock patch had more mods than Ares because people back then were modding more than now. How many active mods at all did you see then, and how many now?
its still success for Ares.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just been to ModEnc to read this shutting down threat from Renegade with my own eyes and, definitely, I will not contact Renegade about hosting ModEnc here.

That's not his purpose and he has no problem to host it. He needs help from someone else to keep the site updated and he's taking desesperate measures to find someone interested on it.

That's all. If there is someone interested on maintining, it will remain online at RenegadeProjects.com.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
I've just been to ModEnc to read this shutting down threat from Renegade with my own eyes and, definitely, I will not contact Renegade about hosting ModEnc here.

That's not his purpose and he has no problem to host it. He needs help from someone else to keep the site updated and he's taking desesperate measures to find someone interested on it.

That's all. If there is someone interested on maintining, it will remain online at RenegadeProjects.com.

And if not, it dies? Well that is something to look forward to...

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
Banshee wrote:

And if not, it dies? Well that is something to look forward to...

Meh... its banshee he is the boss...Obey!!! , of course i was just making theory of what might happen. Reality is allways less glamorous. Sad

I'm sure Renegade has a plan he always does. Laughing
I'm sure fans, there is nothing to worry about. besides like CChyper said he has a backup. so really isn't a big deal, yeah?. lets not lose and more hair about it. shall we?.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a dump of the site (used wget). Though it would need heavy editing, you can access every page on its own.

Actually, I might take it over...

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:

Banshee, two question for you.
First. Do you know that only you and me were active around 5 AM, what the hell did you do in that time? People usually sleep.

Second. Do you realize that Renegade will close site after all, not matter what caused it?
Its not matter now if he is desperate or he got breakdown, or he felt in love and girl abandoned him, or he got kid or whatever. In this case is matter result. And result is that site will be closed, so no more modding encyclopedy, no more looking into ini flags.
Its only real question if he is dead serious about it, or he is just trying to collect someone to work on it, but with no real aim to shut down site.
I can't blame Renegade either. Fair play for the guy all those years. He just got tired of this all, and can't work on it anymore. he already did lot.
But what is matter now that he may for really close it, and as you noticed he is desperate and is capable of doing unpredictable things like this one.
So, I think that its very wise to have ModEnc on other place. Renegade just needs rest perhaps. Physically and psychically. Its not much matter how, either move it here or another place, but just not to stay there until 31.10.2012 when he is going to shut up site if noone assigns to job.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee is on another time zone...

Also, adding the ModEnc to here, you could link PPM accounts to the database, and only allow >100 post members to edit information on there, thus removing a lot of the spam issues.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHYper has a valid point. If it's done, I could improve the RA2/YR map section

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
Banshee is on another time zone...

,,Location: Brazil"
Good damn it says in his profile! And I gorfot.
Its really question what I did in 5AM here only Very Happy

CCHyper wrote:

Also, adding the ModEnc to here, you could link PPM accounts to the database, and only allow >100 post members to edit information on there, thus removing a lot of the spam issues.

Well he can code it to ,,Supreme Banshee system" and allow only certain trusted people from here to be able to edit page. Well from both TS and RA fan bases Very Happy

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MasterHaosis wrote:

Banshee, two question for you.
First. Do you know that only you and me were active around 5 AM, what the hell did you do in that time? People usually sleep.

It was 1AM here. And I usually sleep late and I don't give a damn about it.

Quote:
Second. Do you realize that Renegade will close site after all, not matter what caused it?
Its not matter now if he is desperate or he got breakdown, or he felt in love and girl abandoned him, or he got kid or whatever. In this case is matter result. And result is that site will be closed, so no more modding encyclopedy, no more looking into ini flags.
Its only real question if he is dead serious about it, or he is just trying to collect someone to work on it, but with no real aim to shut down site.
I can't blame Renegade either. Fair play for the guy all those years. He just got tired of this all, and can't work on it anymore. he already did lot.
But what is matter now that he may for really close it, and as you noticed he is desperate and is capable of doing unpredictable things like this one.
So, I think that its very wise to have ModEnc on other place. Renegade just needs rest perhaps. Physically and psychically. Its not much matter how, either move it here or another place, but just not to stay there until 31.10.2012 when he is going to shut up site if noone assigns to job.

What made you take such conclusion?

Because, from his words, it's clear that the site will survive if someone becomes the maintainer there.

Renegade wrote:
ModEnc is looking for someone to assume responsibility for the continuous and complete maintainance of ModEnc. This includes daily administration (fixing templates, combating spam, upholding policies), timely software upgrades (MediaWiki and extensions) and responsiveness to user issues.

Should no maintainer be found until 31.10.2012, the site will be shut down.
If you are interested, contact Renegade through IRC or the forums.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:

It was 1AM here. And I usually sleep late and I don't give a damn about it.

haha thats not so late as my timing Very Happy

Banshee wrote:

What made you take such conclusion?

Well this one:
Banshee wrote:

Because, from his words, it's clear that the site will survive if someone becomes the maintainer there.

What if he do not get maintainer, whats going to happen?

We all know how did he behave for Ares because of no testers.
So if promises come from him, I take them kinda serious.
Well I praise god that I am wrong. Its better if I am wrong because of sake of modenc.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I expect no one to take over, so then ModEnc would be lost. Luckily we now have a backup via Hyper, so if ModEnc dies, we can still continue with it if necessary.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be honest, the main reason I started the TS-Wiki (with Creagor) was because we felt it could be executed better, and ModEnc at that time was very RA2 biased.

I still think it can be done better.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's still mostly RA2 based afaik. But maybe my memory is bugged, but I don't remember anything about a TS wiki Confused

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use ModEnc alot, it's always been very useful. It's clearly made with RA2 in mind, but most of the stuff holds true for TS as well. And I can't really complain about it since I never bothered to correct or add in information about some keys functionality in TS. I really hope someone keeps the site going, it was extremely useful source of information for me when I was starting to mod TS, and I still use it frequently.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
It's still mostly RA2 based afaik. But maybe my memory is bugged, but I don't remember anything about a TS wiki Confused

It never went live, it was being worked on by me and Creagor for about a year, even Bittah and pd helped us.

www.tswiki.ppmsite.com redirects to the main PPM page now.

It was pretty much a TS based modding and executable database wiki. With the sole purpose of making my database information public too.

@MasterHaosis: That wiki is not aimed at modders.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whats all this talk of ModEnc being made with RA2 in mind? Most of the articles are RA2 centric because primarily RA2 modders wrote them but nothing stopped anyone with more experience adding relevant TS information though.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We understand that and its true, not enough TS modders add to the articles.

But it was a statement acknowledged that fact, not knocking ModEnc itself.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CChyper, yeah, there are many of codes in TS/FS which are not explained in ModEnc. I havent played TS for year, not have it either, but read all time articles in wikipedias and such. However I have some of TS ini files, but do not know some of codes what are for, especially because I can't find them on ModEnc. perhaps thats why because no much TS modders cared to upload codes and explanations in past. However its good thing that TS and RA2 are not so distinct from each other, they are close, based on same engines and share most of codes. So its not all matter of being specifically ,,TS modder" or ,,Ra2 Modder" for that.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uhh just a small bump here, but has anyone done anything about this, like talk to Renegade about it?

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just for a bump too is there any news about modEnc, its too quite there. like Eire and that is not a normal thing for ModEnc usually its busy with hives of activity reguarding news, like totally worried now, before i wasn't but now... not so sure.

Maybe rengade was right and it is shutting down Confused

amitakartok
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Three days left till the deadline; if anyone's got an idea, now's the time to say it.

And CCHyper, are you going to wait until the site shuts down for real to release that wget dump?

UPDATE - looks like ModEnc isn't going anywhere after all (for now)! New banner on the site:

Quote:
Since the now-ended five week period of looking for a maintainer for ModEnc has -yet again- confirmed the community's devastating apathy and refusal to work for anything, ModEnc, as it is now, can no longer exist.

The preparations for its closure have, however, reminded me how much work the few in the community who aren't lazy fucks have invested in it, and I am reluctant to destroy that work because of the failings of the majority.
This, combined with the fact that DCoder's integration of a new CAPTCHA is pretty effective at keeping the spammers at bay and a number of actually constructive edits by Starkku and Mevitar has convinced me to transform ModEnc, rather than taking it down completely.
It will be downsized, streamlined and economized.
This will, inevitably, mean a loss of function, scope and support in several areas, but since the community denies ModEnc the care it needs, it will have to be adapted to run on the little amount of care it receives.

For the moment, consider ModEnc in maintenance mode.
I am leaving it accessible out of courtesy, but I will transform parts of it whenever I find the time, without advance notice or care of what breaks or vanishes in the process.
Since the entire point of this exercise was that I don't actually have the time for this, this condition will likely persist for a while, and I cannot predict when it will end.

Yay! Very Happy

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to see this saved, but with my past run ins with Renegade I don't think he would listen to me. I can probably get some server space because I have a friend that deals in renting server space. What can I do to help?

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pretty sure we're posting on server space now, so that isn't the problem. The problem for Renegade it seems is lack of time to maintain it, so we need someone with that and the ability to do so. We also need (probably the most difficult part) Renegade's permission. I would guess though that he'd prefer not to give away the site, rather get more support to maintain it where it is (which is exactly the ztyping problem).

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Server space is no problem, because we could host it in PPM if the situation gets even more desesperate. What is really needed is someone who can update and maintain the wiki.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Again, moving support to PPM and allowing the registered users with 200> post count, i still think is the best move.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, can you explain what kind of skill is needed to maintain this....

Like I said I could prob get a dedicated server....and time is something I have enough of...

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It only needs a damned one who takes time to understand MediaWiki well enough to admin it.

Who have bespoken with Ren? Neither of you. One single PM could have answered all of the questions popped on this topic.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!