Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 pm
All times are UTC + 0
TS logics in Ares
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 4 [153 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
OK, now I have another question.

Why all of you mentions Rewire as the gate between TS and YR? There's also Reloaded. And it's definitely older than Rewire.

Because Reloaded looks like a mish mash mod, with upscaled buidlings which are blurry and pixelated and all sorts of oddities (no disrespect to FS-21, he has done well with what he's accomplished)

Rewire looks like a polished game, a game I would buy and how TS should look. Every building, piece of terrain and unit has been completely remade too look perfect in the RA2 engine.

Don't take my word for it, check out the screenshots here or at moddb
Rewire
http://www.moddb.com/mods/command-and-conquer-rewire/images/
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/index.php?f=163

Reloaded
http://forums.revora.net/topic/20887-beta-screenshots/page__st__20

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hear from Reloaded the first time, because it's not hosted on PPM and revora is imo one very unclear forum. #Tongue

Just checked some screenshots of Reloaded and agree with SMIFFGIG.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reload is ancient, I'm surprised someone even brought it up.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally, I disagree with you. It's ancient but for me more polished, more fluid than Rewire. Also, LKO, Reloaded is even older than Revora itself! #Tongue

But it's not ancient, FS-21 still maintains it and that provided us with some Ares feedback regarding TS-YR mixing (carryalls).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Personally, I disagree with you. It's ancient but for me more polished, more fluid than Rewire.

I what what more polished and fluid?
Gameplay? Well personal opinions aside but rewire is pre-alpha
Graphics? Well if you prefer resized pixelated graphics to properly rendered ones then I guess that is a personal choice and you like a more 8bit theme going on in your RTS games.

Really though, I don't get where you are coming from

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What the serious ztype

FS-21
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm with Regulus, can you guys stop the offtopic? I loved following the development of this topic until the ridiculous "perfectionism" debate started.

Gangster made the incredible work for re-creating all TS graphics in Rewire due to the objective of the project, C&C:Reloaded objective never was (& is, & will be) the same: is to use original graphics to get the original feeling I got when I was young playing one of my favorite RTS games, not to use fan-made graphics (well, in this case we are talking about incredible HD graphics Tongue , congratulations Gangster). This doesn't mean that I resized the original graphics & forgot the pixelation problem (hell no! is something too visible to forget it, at least until you play HD screen resolutions Laughing).
If you forget the 7-years-gap between my last 2 mayor releases of my mod periodically I fix some TS graphics in each public release to fix the classic pixelation problem every one know when you resize a bitmap image (the reason of this OFFTOPIC) so I don't see the problem with the graphics I'm using for the mod because I always said that my mod is at a permanent "work in progress" so at the same time I'm improving the balance of the 2 TS factions & converting maps to the RA2 universe I'll continue fixing pixelated graphics (TS terrain, some big building animations other remaining small graphics... too many SHPs frames/tilesets for only one person in a short period of time) in every release until the year 20## or until EA is declared bankrupt... but is true that is impossible compare it with HD graphics! Laughing

Because God kills a cat everytime someone creates an offtopic in an interesting topic, please get back to the original topic: "TS logics in Ares".

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reloaded vs Rewire stuff needs to be split

Regulus wrote:
What the serious ztype

It's called 'Off Topic' Regulus as you knlow and it sometimes happens in discussion. A moderator/admin will come along and split the topic so that this thread will become on topic again.
Chill out please

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMIFFGIG wrote:
Reloaded vs Rewire stuff needs to be split

Nah. I like Reloaded. I ve started my TC (before it was named Rewire) because i was jealous Very Happy I dont think we should compete with FS-21, since we see "our tiberium future" differently. I am in love of TS, and I want update my favorite game somehow. He is doing cross-universe mod.
I guess both of us will find a use of any TS logic in Ares.

But speaking of new addition I have to admit I think pd is right. There is no need of just copying TS code. For example adding healing\damaging ability to overlays will not just improve Tiberium but also will become a good start for Veins.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could do a lot more with just adding damage to the AttachEffect and giving Overlays (and anything else anyone could imagine) a way to utilize it. you would effectively create tiberium healing/damaging, veins in a way, and of course a myriad of other useful and unique game functions.

Just my two cents though. I think this entire thread is a good read, despite all the agitation I see the community uniting under one singular idea.

EDIT: In regards to these features everyone is worried about (very fast loading times and smooth performance, the option of being stand-alone etc.), Ares 0.2 has increased the speed of loading screens in YR that are close to TS/RA2 levels (for me at least), has improved graphical control to tweak performance for your own system, and I know of quite a few mods that have been standalone on the YR engine without considerable size in comparison to the original game.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here, here, M7.

When the code is very controllable by the modder a myriad of new modding possibilities become open, far more than anyone pushing for the code could possibly imagine.

Having an overlay that could grow and have warheads attached to it is a really interesting idea that could have several potential uses.
I can think of a few off the top of my head, no use for any of them that I know of, but here's a possibilities list:

Oil Spills, slowing an enemy down and creating an ambiance effect

Tiberium Mold/Crystal Goop.

Acid spills, same thing, different look. If it grew like tiberium did it could slowly fill an area, making for some interesting map/mission ideas.

Veins kinda sorta

IDK just thinking out loud, but it has many many uses.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exclamation Long text ahead. If you don't like background, skip below the first line. If you don't like shattered expectations, skip below the second line.

Some insight into the state of certain TS-features that are not working in YR:
Broken features like the VehicleThief/Thief/Agent problem are most likely just glitches. The code is there, but it doesn't do the correct thing in some locations. Easy to fix, once the reason is found.

The tiberium explosion logic is almost there. It sums up all the values, calculates the damage and whatnot, but the final step of delivering the damage has been removed. This is a very smart move of WW, because you get the performance penalty but not the effect... but it can be fixed. (Actually, TiberiumExplosive should be off by default, which doesn't apply the logic. In this light they had even less reason to deactivate the feature in code.)

Features like the tiberium heal look like they have been replaced, in this case by the Radiation feature. It is a negative heal on certain cells that are radiated at the moment instead of cells that contain tiberium. The logic has to be recoded from scratch. Same for Ion Storms. They became the Lightning Storm SW, with heavy editing. Because of this, related logics like LightningRod won't work like in TS.

Then there are the hard cases. Ice, terrain deformation, super weapons.... The code is gone (or crippled), even though the INI tags are still parsed. This does not mean anything, but it appears it makes people think this can't be hard work any more, because the logic seemingly is still there. Most likely removing the features was done to speed up the game (code that isn't there is very fast). Features like this have to be recoded entirely. Most of the missing TS features and all of the FS ones belong to this category.

Thus, it is not just flipping a few bits, poking the game here and there to get back to the original TS feeling. For that, a good measure of insight into TS as well as YR is needed. Putting it in easy words like "re-enabling something" and "fixing a broken logic" is ignoring the fact that this will be week-long work and research to "restore" something out of nothing. Safe for getting it right.

From words like "Reenabling TS logic to the fullest extent would perhaps[...]" I can deduce that it would never be enough as long as YR isn't almost compatible to TS to the last bit. It would be months, most likely years of work. This goal can't be reached, and this is a path that leads directly to frustration. No way I'm gonna even try to do this. You should scale back your expectations and demands; this is not gonna happen. You are putting the entire burden to save the community, the universe and everything on the Ares team here.

"I'm fairly certain most of the storage logic was simply overwritten or modified to bypass it. I think a majority of it is still there, [...]." It's a bunch fragments. Some calculations are performed, but the values that would trigger them aren't set (tiberium isn't put into the buildings, so you can't lose it when they are destroyed). The EVA event code is there, it runs, but playing the EVA message is removed. If I put tiberium into the buildings, it might just work or some loose ends in the code start to crash. And then, the logic still has to be updated for YR's systems, like income multipliers. Both logics don't work at the same time, because you could get money by selling your silos (harvester dumps -> put in silo with income multiplier -> silo sold -> game finds new silo to put the tiberium -> multiplier is applied again).

Now for something different. I've been working on some new features over the last month, and even though some matters slowed me down, Ares-related things are looking good. I could not find the reason for the SensorArray issues yet, but some tiberium related features are done already (the easy ones :p). Heal, Damage, and Explosive, each can be enabled separately. Aside from the original rules tags, the former two also support the EliteAbilities TIBERIUM_HEAL and TIBERIUM_PROOF. Harvesters can be made to spread tiberium when destroyed. There's not much to customize yet. Except for the last one, all work like in TS (spread requires a new warhead).

More of this will follow soon, when I come up with a plan how all this stuff can be tested xD.

If you want to know about my stance to the "TS/YR is the best" issue: I have fond memories of TS, but when I start to replay it I am reminded of why it wasn't that great. Random hunter seeker targeting, for example. Mile-deep craters. It had a great atmosphere, cool movies, some unique and fun features. TI is a mod whose creators got a great eye for details and a sense for style. YR is more polished in general and gameplay feels smoother, but I don't hate TS because of this.

Sorry for this wall of text.

PS: This text was written two days ago, which is the reason the last comments after pd's aren't considered here. While doing the reserch I found the reason for two SensorArray problems (fixing them can lead to crashes). I also found what is missing for Storage to work (Only the money limit. There might be other issues that arise from this.) This means, Storage could be in 0.3.

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I was thinking of another possible application. With attach effect possible on a overlay you could also recreate ice.

As some of you may know, if you manually place tiberium on water in fa2 it becomes passable by normal tanks until "destroyed or harvested." If a new overlay of ice was made, and spawned itself via an animation on a attached animation it could be spreadable ice.
"Though I'm not sure if it's possible to make an ovelray spawn on water via warhead."

It would spread and need to be destroyed as well. To recreate the "breaking ice, you could simply add an attached animation to all tanks which would "destroy the ice overlay in theory."
"I'm not clear how damage destroys tiberium."

Of course multiple attached animation on a single techno class would have to be available, is this even possible, or askign way too much of Ares coders?" Graion never stated any possibility of an attached animation working on overlay. I just think it would be the best way to cut development time, which might not truly be the case".

Preplaced Neutral buildings.
Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post scriptum time!

Not all logics are perfect at the moment, and some more customization has to be added. And there are some decisions to make. Storage should be disabled by default (obviously, it could break the original game). But should it be enabled globally or per side? Per side would be better, but how would that work? If you got any more possible problems of this kind, please post here.

Graion: Sorry if you lost time due to me not telling you I was working on this Embarassed

LKO: At the moment Storage works like in TS: First building gets filled, then the next, ... until all tiberium is stored or all buildings are full. If a building with Storage is destroyed, it's tiberium is removed and the same distribution logic is used to find better places for it, so you won't lose it. Building and aborting won't magically enlarge storage, same way as in TS.

Regulus: All these logics are implemented the same way as in TS. I looked at the Assembler code of TS and YR to find the locations where the logics were supposed to be. In Ares, this is done by adding so called hooks, that redirect from the game to Ares, where the feature will then be implemented in C++ then. Thus, you need Assembler skills to know what point in memory to change at what time (or use an existing hook).

Ixonoclast: "the invincible sensor-that-remains-after-death" was one of the SensorArray bugs I found. It was because WW didn't update the logic correctly. When they add the sensor, they use SensorsSight, but when they remove it, they used the old CloakRadiusInCells. If you make them the same, the bug should be gone even without Ares.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Disabled by default is fine. Global for all sides the same is fine too. No need to have one side having no storage and the other one having storage. Of course per side would allow more customization, but if it makes too much work, better skip it. (or add a key, TransferStorageToGlobalAccount=bool, which you can give refinerys so they instantly transfer the storage to the global account)

I think it would be better if the storage is released when a building is destroyed (ie the tiberium is spawned again), instead of a magical instant distribution on other storage buildings. Then it's worth it to destroy a storage building.

Thank you very much for implementing this feature Smile

Public SHPs

Tools

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
Ixonoclast: "the invincible sensor-that-remains-after-death" was one of the SensorArray bugs I found. It was because WW didn't update the logic correctly. When they add the sensor, they use SensorsSight, but when they remove it, they used the old CloakRadiusInCells. If you make them the same, the bug should be gone even without Ares.

Does this apply to TS? Because no one has mentioned this to me...

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LKO: I think a new tag on the refinery would be the best solution. It would make it possible to capture other sides' buildings and then being bound to their rules. Or to create a tech refinery that converts tiberium to money without the need of storage.

Hyper: Nope, it uses CloakRangeInCells for both.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
Actually, TiberiumExplosive should be off by default, which doesn't apply the logic.

I don't think TiberiumExplosive=no even works in Tiberian Sun however...
AlexB wrote:
If a building with Storage is destroyed, it's tiberium is removed and the same distribution logic is used to find better places for it, so you won't lose it.

Like LKO said, it would be better if you'd lose the credits that are stored by a building when that building is destroyed, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose. The way I see it, the whole point of storage is to give players a way to take away credits away from one another by either just destroying the building or by capturing it (and capturing it should of course transfer the credits that are stored by the building to the player that captured it).
Only selling a storage building should transfer the credits it contains to other storage buildings.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazing, Alex! Thanks for this research and nice reading.

Quote:
Then there are the hard cases. Ice, terrain deformation, super weapons.... The code is gone (or crippled), even though the INI tags are still parsed.

Is Veins logic also a hard case? I remember in NPAE VK have manage to get it particaly working (it can be put on map, it grows, plays veinatak anim, harvestable by Weeder). Is it broken or VK ve coded it from scratch?

FS-21
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
LKO: I think a new tag on the refinery would be the best solution. It would make it possible to capture other sides' buildings and then being bound to their rules.

Makes sense that way, one side can be limited by this limitation until refineries from other factions are stolen/built. This remembers me the Tiberium Wars storage limitation for GDI/Nod and the unlimited tiberium storage by Scrin refineries.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
RP
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Everyone's yanking about TS stuff in YR, but how are you going to put certain features in a map when FinalAlert doesn't even support it, like Veinholes?
A lot of code of FinalSun is most likely overwritten by YR code.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

ArvinCool
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can someone explain the following:
veinhole
terrain deformation
tiberium Heal, Damage, and Explosive

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ArvinCool wrote:
terrain deformation

I think I can vouch for almost everyone and say no one is going to miss this. Even the developers said in an interview (Joe Bostic or Brett Sperry i think) said that this simply did not work the way it was implemented and was just a nuisance.
Curiously they also said this about subterranean units too, although i'm wondering off topic

Anyway I think its great you guys (AlexB and GD) are implementing tiberium heal/damage and considering storage logic for 0.3 Smile

RP wrote:
Everyone's yanking about TS stuff in YR, but how are you going to put certain features in a map when FinalAlert doesn't even support it, like Veinholes?

I wonder if the community asked Matze to release the source code and turn it into and Open Source project?
Of course even if that did happen it still begs the question of who would or could program the new features necessary?
Going this route might also allow bug fixes or features that people currently want in FA which are unrelated to Ares. I'm not sure how important this is as I havent used much of FA but im sure RA2 map makers would have a better opinion on this.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sent him an email a while ago, regarding the missing Yuri's Revenge AI scripts, such as 'Enter Bio Reactor'. He replied:

Quote:

Hi RP,

it's been 10 years so I don't remember exactly, but the YR AI triggers had been added to FA2YR. Are you sure you've got FinalAlert 2 Yuri's Revenge?

Bye,
Matthias

I replied with the question if there was any way he could add those, never got a response from him. I suppose I could sent another email asking for the source code, which would make modding on my end a lot easier as well.

I'll be in touch regarding this email.

/ppm/'s stupidity

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He can not release it, and i doubt he would even so...

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ArvinCool wrote:
Can someone explain the following:
veinhole
terrain deformation
tiberium Heal, Damage, and Explosive

Veinhole is "tiberium", in the form of tentacles that damages vehicles, and has a big central "tiberium tree", a veinhole monster, that spews out tiberium gas when attacked. Its tentacles can be harvested in TS by the Weeder to create the Chemical missile.

Terrain deformation is why bombing enemy units in TS turns the ground into Belgium during the First World War. Craters so deep that it'll take your tanks a while to get out, and shoot at the artillery shooting them.
All while the crater gets larger. Hahahahha.

Tiberium heal, damage and explosive are easy. Just imagine if ores healed people, did damage and was explosive.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP wrote:

Afaik FinalSun was derived from FinalAlert2. FinalAlert 2 was made as an unofficial mapper, and then Matze made a TS version out of it. Might be wrong on this though.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Hi RP,

I haven't noticed that project, but it's quite cool that the YR modding community is still so active.
I've sold the rights to the FA2 and FA2YR source code to Westwood/EA a long time ago, so I'd require you to get their (written) approval, sorry :/.
Especially since parts of the YR code are incorporated into FA2YR.

If you can organize their approval, I'll go and search for the code.

Kind regards,
Matthias

So... Who's gonna write a letter? #Tongue

/ppm/'s stupidity

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
RP wrote:

Afaik FinalSun was derived from FinalAlert2. FinalAlert 2 was made as an unofficial mapper, and then Matze made a TS version out of it. Might be wrong on this though.

Don't think you are right

I remember FinalSun being around, and then FinalAlert which was then followed by FinalAlert 2 (which had WW's help/input in some way) and then the final version of FinalAlert 2 which included Tunnels (and prob some other stuff) was not official in anyway as Tunnels are/were not supported by WW.

RP wrote:
So... Who's gonna write a letter? #Tongue

As for writting a letter RP. Im away for nearly 2 weeks tomo. But i'd be happy to write one up after that. Although maybe it would be better to have a seperate topic about it and have various members of the community have there input?

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whether Sun was before Alert, it doesn't matter. FinalSun's Code =/= FinalAlert's Code

Let's go back on-topic now.

/ppm/'s stupidity

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your best path is through EA_CIRE, anyone else will not have a clue what you are on about.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP wrote:

Well true that, we must find way for it, but voinhole building can be placed itself very easily. It will generate veins over time, but problem maybe would be how to place veins in map already. Someone will think something regarding this. First we must get this to work, then take care of it.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

ArvinCool
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ixonoclast wrote:
Terrain deformation is why bombing enemy units in TS turns the ground into Belgium during the First World War. Craters so deep that it'll take your tanks a while to get out, and shoot at the artillery shooting them.
All while the crater gets larger. Hahahahha.

Sounds interesting. A pic of the "deep" crater??

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Which word would describe best that refineries put tiberium on the map when destroyed? I used the word "spill" for harvesters already, but does this make a good tag name? At the moment it's [General]TiberiumSpill= and [BuildingType]Refinery.CanSpill=, but I'm thinking about unifying it into [TechnoType]TiberiumSpill= for both. Is spill a good word?

As long as there's no way to actually make use of ice or veins, I won't touch them, because it would be pointless.

And a general note: If anybody got general questions that might be interesting for everybody, please ask them here instead of sending a PM. The tiberium features will be released when I'm confident that they work so testing can start. First I got some management stuff to do, like splitting the big stuff into separate branches that can be tested independently. And of course, I gotta write the documentation, so you know what's new. I hope to get storage done in a minute, and I will start with the other work right after that.

ArvinCool: Try your favourite image search engine? This isn't the Tiberium 101 thread.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps a seperate topic should be made regarding the implementation of Ares features in FinalAlert.

I'll try to add everything to the fixed FinalAlert I'm creating, along with the unannounced extended map validator.

/ppm/'s stupidity

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
As long as there's no way to actually make use of ice or veins, I won't touch them, because it would be pointless.

Although ice isn't really a mandatory (I don't think many TS players cared about it either), veins could serve other purposes besides just acting TS' veins.

Besides growing and being harvestable like tiberium, veins are basically just an overlay type which plays an animation as soon as a (certain) unit moves over it.
This animation damages units, although it doesn't necessarily have to; it could instead for example look like tall moving grass, dust that flies up, something like water ripples for swamplands, smoke/steam which appears when you move through something like acid or lava (which would also damage units) and so on...

So rather than adding actual veins, making the normal overlay more customizable might be more interesting. For the examples I gave above, adding a key which specifies which animation will be played when a unit moves over the overlay would work (it might be nice if this key could even be applied to regular ground types, but that's probably trickier to achieve).

As for the veins' other properties; if it's already possible to add new tiberium types in YR/Ares (if not, it should be made possible), then the main things that's still needed are for starters either a key for overlay types that specifies which harvesters can harvest it or (and this would probably be more convenient) a key for harvesters that specifies which overlay types it can harvest and finally there needs to be a way to make the storage charge the chemical missile... For which you could possibly add a key like StorageCharges=(specify SuperWeaponType).

That only leaves the veinhole monster itself, but if it's too difficult to make it exactly like in TS, it could possibly just be made into a regular tiberium tree with a 3x3 foundation (I don't know whether it's already possible to give terrain objects bigger foundations than 1x1 in YR/Ares or not).

tl;dr:
if my suggestions from above would be implemented you'd be able to have several possibly harvestable overlay types, that can be harvested by different (or the same) harvesters (or can't be harvested at all), to either just increase your funds or to charge a specific SW and these overlay types would be able to play an animation whenever a unit moves over it, which could potentially damage the unit. This way it'd be able to serve plenty of purposes, aside form just replicating TS' veins.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Additional Tiberium types can't be added that easily, because the data structure is included in other data structures, thus it can't be expanded. It would be like enlarging a room from the inside, which can't be done without breaking a wall to another room.

First I'd have to look to see what parts of the veins need to be rewritten. I doubt the system would get that customizable, if it veins are to be implemented.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

certain overlays already have the code for displaying anims when units come close. take for example the gates, maybe look at the code for that to apply anims for other overlays?

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cranium wrote:
certain overlays already have the code for displaying anims when units come close. take for example the gates, maybe look at the code for that to apply anims for other overlays?

Gates are BuildingTypes.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Call me out if I'm incorrect, but isn't concrete overlay too?

If so, I can see a VERY GOOD use of a key for endless spreading and temporary spreading overlay, aside from veins and ice.

Spreading concrete.

Like you build a powerplant, and it automatically begins to spawn concrete around it.

It certainly would help out people that hate concrete as well as people that hate subterranean units popping up where they don´t belong.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Gate= key is what i was refering too, sorry.

Been awhile since ive had my rules and art open #Silly

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ixonoclast wrote:
Call me out if I'm incorrect, but isn't concrete overlay too?

If so, I can see a VERY GOOD use of a key for endless spreading and temporary spreading overlay, aside from veins and ice.

Spreading concrete.

Like you build a powerplant, and it automatically begins to spawn concrete around it.

It certainly would help out people that hate concrete as well as people that hate subterranean units popping up where they don´t belong.

Concrete is not an overlay, but actual terrain pieces (in TS case: the concrete used in cities). You build and place it as a structure, but it is immediately converted to the concrete terrain pieces.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

concerning veins: maybe it's easier to make the ToOverlay key work on animations and not only buildings in art.ini. Or expand the art.ini keys
TiberiumRadius= (given it's still in YR; not sure, but i hope so)
TiberiumSpawnType= (given it's still in YR; not sure, but i hope so)
with a key TiberiumExactOverlay=yes, so it doesn't spawns randomly between the assigned overlay and the next 4 overlays in the overlaytypes list. But instead the new key makes sure that it spawns exactly the defined overlay.

With all the other new Ares functions for Overlays it should be easy to create a self-replicating overlay, that also does damage.

Veinhole monster is easy. 3x3 building with Selectable=no, Guardrange=0, a weapon with
Damage=0
UseSparkParticles=yes
AttachedParticleSystem=gascloudsys.
Then it won't fire alone but when it retaliates it spawns the gasclouds. The ROF will the control the speed at which clouds are spawned.
(Too bad that Ares seems to make modders less unconventional/imaginative and expect everything to be done for them Sad )
To spawn veins is easy too. Just a dummy activeanim using art.ini debris with the aforementioned keys to spawn an overlay.

Public SHPs

Tools

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How are these branches going?

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Veinholes were just a bunch of overlays, with the monster having special logic attached. You can place the graphics (if you convert them and add them to the overlay list) in FA2 by enabling some of the debug options in the latest build. However I don't believe the graphics appeared correctly in the editor though they did work in game in the last VK patch as previously mentioned.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The TS features are in one branch, which will hopefully make testing easier once released. The branch itself is well.

I haven't looked at veinholes yet, thus I don't know how much more work they'll need. I'll ignore them for now, as well as veins, ice and deformable terrain. Otherwise the branch gets overloaded completely.

NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the graphics of Reloaded more, because the Rewire ones... don't "feel" the same way the old game did; they are too small for the engine, the ambient looks bleak. Not to disrespect, because it does have nice renders and definition, it is technically very good but flavor-wise it doesn't seem to nail it.

And, won't ares develop slowly now that only alex is directly on it?

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you even Tiberian Sun?

PePsiCola
Cyborg Specialist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^^lmao Regulus you're using that right

Anyway if the veinhole logic was activated would it be restricted to Temperate climate (especially if you ported the logic from the TS engine itself), or could we have the other climates like Snow? Desert's the only other that would make sense though.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The veinhole monster isn't restricted to the temperate theater in Tiberian Sun to begin with.

The ice logic might be restricted to the snow theater, although I have to admit I've never tried implementing it in the temperate theater. I imagine it could nicely function as a swamp or quicksand on temperate maps...
Regulus wrote:
Do you even Tiberian Sun?

I second that question.
I don't like RA2's graphical style at all and I started playing TS the same month it came out, but if Rewire would actually be finished (provided all necessary logics are made available), I'm quite sure I'd end up liking it more than TS itself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 4 [153 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon