Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:07 am
All times are UTC + 0
The Ares 0.3 testing phase starts
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [72 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject:  The Ares 0.3 testing phase starts Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After the first patch for Ares 0.2 is finished now, it's the fun time of the year where plans are made for the next version. While I write the 0.2p1 announcement, here's the current plan:

In the next few days I'll mark the new features for 0.3, so they will show up on this page. All the items that have a status of "Fix committed" are available for testing already, and -- if all goes well -- every item's page got some information on where to get the files and how to use the features.

If you find bugs or things don't go as planned, you can post there, and you will most likely get a reaction. If you find everything in order, please post there also, because if you confirm features as working, they get a chance to be included in the final 0.3 version (the status is then changed to "Fix released").

0.3 will use DCoder's 0.3 development branch as base, which means the Whiteboy bug is finally fixed (among other things). For now, I implemented custom missiles and cyclic gattling weapons. In the next few days I'll prepare another binary which includes some Tiberian Sun features that were discussed here at PPM.

For now, you can use the cyclic gattling binary or the custom missile binary files. Just replace the files from the 0.2 package and use the new tags. Gattling.Cycle=yes activates cyclic gattlings, while the custom missiles don't have a proper documentation yet, but you'll find a text file that mentions what's new included in the package.

Have fun with this until now. There are more things to come!

Edit: Thanks to Renegade the new branches now appear on the unstable branch page. Links have been updated.

Last edited by AlexB on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, you even added animation handling to custom missiles... I am amazed. Even if this means I indeed have to use the following 4-day weekend to do my part of the development.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speeder requested it. You know him... Laughing Take your time. I still gotta prepare my branch.

Actually, the animation change is also a fix for every default missile, because WW was lame enough to look up the takeoff and trail animation every time a missile was fired (going through the entire animation type list). In case of the trailer anim, they would even do it every third frame for each missile launched...

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well if that kind of thing is the case surely that would partly explain trailer lag besides there simply being lots of anims displayed.

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like gattling cycle and custom missiles.
We should also thank LH_Mouse for the code(assuming you translated it). Dont hesitate to give Ares more codes Very Happy

Anyway, will AE branch go into 0.3 trunk(not fatman) anytime soon? I hate having two branches.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope. There is still a major bug with it which will prevent a merge in the near future. I am taking AE as something like ft-superweapons were treaten. It will get periodical trunk updates, but not vice versa.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
FistOfFire
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
the animation is cached.

Yes! More caches!!! Back when the game was new, people had 32-128mb of ram. Caching was a bad idea. Today, most people have more than 2GB. So I say: cache everything!
Every unit should get its own cache(one for HTNK, one for APOC etc), where all its animations and weapon animations is stored.
If you still have less than 512mb ram, to bad for you.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even back then, WW could have afforded eight bytes. V3TRAIL and V3TAKOFF are used by every missile type, and it doesn't change in-game. So it would be two global fields, 4 bytes each. It's not like I'm reserving half the available RAM here Very Happy

YRM: For the next weeks there will be at least four different branches. If there is nothing obviously wrong (that is, everything has been confirmed as working), I'll create a new v03 branch to merge them into one.

Nikola_Tesla
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If anybody is interested, I have made a Missile Creator application to easily generate code for custom missiles. It isn't that hard to do that manually, but my program makes it easier and saves some copy-and-paste work. It also comes with presets based on the 3 stock missiles (V3, Dreadnought, and Boomer Sub Missile).

MissileCreator.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MissileCreator.zip
 Filesize:  236.13 KB
 Downloaded:  148 Time(s)

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good job

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
ra3free
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a good news!!

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
the animation is cached.

Sorry for dumb guestion.
Does this mean that trail animation will less laggy? Or what?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This means that if the missile trailer lag was noticable (which happened due to the game always going over the Animations list to find it) then yes, that lag is gone.

Also, nice utility, Tesla.

ArvinCool
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will 0.3 include extended cellspread?

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You do the math:
previous_lookups = count_of_missiles_launched_in_game * (average_flying_time_in_frames / 3) * number_of_V3TRAIL_in_AnimTypes_list
new_lookups = count_of_AircraftTypes * number_of_V3TRAIL_in_AnimTypes_list

The number of V3TRAIL is the position in the type list. The average flying time in frames can be estimated by counting the trailing animations and multiplying them by 3.

A "lookup" is like searching for a number in a phone book, but instead of jumping to the right letter, then estimating how many pages you should go forward or backwards, you start at the first page and just go forward until you found the name of the person you want to call. Instead of remembering the number, you do this lookup every time, a hundred times a day.
If every problem could be solved like this...

Extended CellSpread: Nope. There's too much stuff already.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I noticed that a fix was committed for the dropship loadout, which branch is that in for testing?

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dropship changes are in dc03.

FistOfFire
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a question, will 0.3 fix incompleted features such as direct drawn projectiles being able to pass firestorm and solid buildings?

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some incomplete features will be fixed, but most likely not them.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about superweapons? I haven't seen any thing on this. Someone said they won't work with current ARES. I am not worried about bombs or special weapons, I want to create more kinds of paradrops.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All superweapons work properly for me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

um, thanks for that bit of info....

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm I wonder if the hard coded SGRYSMK1 for crashing planes just like V3TRAIL/V3TAKOFF hard coding for spawned missiles has somehow similar laggy execution as it does also lag and draws the trailer quite often and multiple crashing planes becomes performance reducer...

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SGRYSMK1 suffers from the same kind of problem, just worse #Tongue

If an aircraft has red health, it has a 10 percent probability to create a smoke anim (each frame). If the aircraft has a health of 0 (i.e. it's dead), the probability is 80%.

I'll try to come up with a good solution for this. I could even make this customizable per AircraftType.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In Gatling Cycle this basically works like a weapon with FireOnce but the Unit will still keep its Attack Mission right?

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think it is the same. The gattling will spin up, and when the last stage is completed, it is reset to 0 and spins up again. Thus it should be possible for the last stage's weapon to fire more than once.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah that exactly what I'm assuming on how it works... Basically like Fire Once but the unit still keeps the attack mission. But with FireOnce Workaround Units have to retarget.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only the internal gattling stage counter is reset, the target will still be the same. Force fire on the ground and it will only stop if you tell it to.
My understanding of FireOnce is that it should fire only once(, which is not guaranteed by this implementation). I'm confused.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
Only the internal gattling stage counter is reset, the target will still be the same. Force fire on the ground and it will only stop if you tell it to.
My understanding of FireOnce is that it should fire only once(, which is not guaranteed by this implementation). I'm confused.

With the FireOnce Workaround Units would stop attacking on the last stage if the weapon after its initial attack on the last stage. (I.E: If it has 1 burst it'll only shoot that attack once on the final stage)

GattlingCycle keeps the Unit in the attack mission right? As in he will still be targeting the same unit if it is still alive or finishes the last stage.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, Jem, it does what you imply it to do so. Stop being confusing. #Tongue

AlexB wrote:
SGRYSMK1 suffers from the same kind of problem, just worse #Tongue

If an aircraft has red health, it has a 10 percent probability to create a smoke anim (each frame). If the aircraft has a health of 0 (i.e. it's dead), the probability is 80%.

I'll try to come up with a good solution for this. I could even make this customizable per AircraftType.

This would be quite awesome for kamikaze planes. #Tongue

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can see most haven't seen NPext black magic

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The aircraft smoke thing has been fixed. Three new tags allow for customization of the anim as well as the probabilities.

kenosis: Black magic wasn't in the changelog. #Tongue

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Probably explains why those things lagged even when DetailLevel= togged off from drawing while in actual game sense it did perform the tasks apart from visuals.

just leaves question why Trailer= and TrailerAnim= routines are laggy then, and TrailerAnim= being the worst of them notably in debris.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's on the agenda for 0.3? Any features from the DFD?

Steam

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CyclicGattling was one of NPExt black magic

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think we all know that.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Test zee Gattling Cycle boys.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Men I've been waiting for this and you don't know how long I've waited!

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regarding the Dropship Loadout feature.

I fixed the invisible mouse issue in Tiberian Sun Retro.

I can't remember exactly how I did it (it's been almost 10 years!)

However I seem to remember changing the mouse pallette or something

maybe worth a look?

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DCoder's 0.3 development branch contains some fixes for the dropship menu already.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speeder, thats was good!
Did you use SMOKEY2 trailer for that?

PPM Halloween Season 2021

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazing for boss units.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not just boss units, it can even be used for a unit having 3 weapons.

=======================

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or "Charging Up" Weapons like the Wave Force Artillery.

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles: LOL at your signature. "You can call me Jem if my Username is too long." You and me share the same name HAHAHAHAHA. Anyways back on to the topic. Will this version of Ares allows us to add any EVA from any C&C like CABAL or the GDI EVA?

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you mean adding them while the 3 RA2 EVAs still being used then no its not yet here.

If your using the TS EVAs most people just override the RA2 Evas

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are some who does, Alex. And if you have fixed EVA.Tag already, you haven't told us yet. #Tongue

=======================

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DarkVen9109 wrote:
Atomic_Noodles: LOL at your signature. "You can call me Jem if my Username is too long." You and me share the same name HAHAHAHAHA.

Haha, you are Jem too? Very Happy

And that Eva.tag sounds interesting, not just GDI and Cabal Eva's can be added, but Eva's from C&C 3. THat would be hard work but it would be worth.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MasterHaosis wrote:
DarkVen9109 wrote:
Atomic_Noodles: LOL at your signature. "You can call me Jem if my Username is too long." You and me share the same name HAHAHAHAHA.

Haha, you are Jem too? Very Happy

And that Eva.tag sounds interesting, not just GDI and Cabal Eva's can be added, but Eva's from C&C 3. THat would be hard work but it would be worth.

Exactly. My name is Jem too. Anyways, I actually got the inspiration via C&C reloaded. What do you mean by "3 RA2 EVAs still being used then no its not yet here."

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon