Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:54 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Why I should never be allowed near a Voxel Creation Tool.
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Sir Shockwave
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject:  Why I should never be allowed near a Voxel Creation Tool. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread speaks for itself.

The product of around two hours of work. Inspired by:

which were both inspired by a failed russian experiment with ship design.

OH SWEET MERCIFUL GODS THIS VOXEL IS HIDEOUS! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

novograd.vxl
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  novograd.vxl
 Filesize:  3.52 KB
 Downloaded:  56 Time(s)

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one? First of all, your trying to do something way too complex for beginners... Try something more simpler. Try to start first on more simpler stuff like Trucks or Cars... then bit by bit try and do more complex vehicles.

Just keep practicing. After some time you eventually get to grasp how to voxel. For starters you could try touching up the in-game ones.

Voxeling is basically pixel art in 3D plane.

X defines the Left & Right...
Y defines the Up & Down
Z defines the Front & Back.

Just like SHPs Palette 0 is always rendered invisible in-game.

Sir Shockwave
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took Noodle's advice and designed a simpler ship - with turret!

...Remind me never to pick up a copy of Minecraft.

I'll stick up an ingame soon. I think this one took about three hours.

EDIT - Um...wow O__O

• The ship is TINY! (Mouse cursor to scale!)
  • You probably can't tell, but it drives itself BACKWARDS somehow. Despite having VXL Editor editing from the front.

...What is this heresy?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're doing a small voxel. I could have tell you that, a usual RA2 voxel is around 40x40x80. TS is 30x30x60. I think. This also means that a single wheel should be at least 6 voxel wide, (a wheel in a track can be 4) and so on.

I usually check the voxel in VXL Viewer first, it loads the voxel with it's front face first, so it does show out if I mess up that... tho it happened only on my first voxels.

Also you're doing it totally wrong. IMO first lay down an outline, like a huge onecolored box and then carve out the actual exact look. Maybe even look into some Orac-Azri voxels.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also... When drawing Voxels. When in Top View... The Voxel is facing to the right. So make sure the Front Part should be on the right side.

Sir Shockwave
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, we're getting somewhere...I think.

It needs a little more detail, and the turret could be smaller (it also needs to have it's turret offset), but otherwise we're getting there. I think. We used Noodle's Stingray conversion for reference.

Also, fun fact - the star's the best I could get it, taking up most of the hour and a half running time this one took to make. It's also non-remappable, contrary to photograph.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

.......................nothing to say

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bottom Pieces if you want it to blend well is to use the darkest allied grey. (95)

Try using Gradient and aliasing on the sides of the vehicle to give it more details.

Sir Shockwave
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis wrote:
.......................nothing to say

Then why post here? X3

Atomic_Noodles wrote:
Bottom Pieces if you want it to blend well is to use the darkest allied grey. (95)

Try using Gradient and aliasing on the sides of the vehicle to give it more details.

So those other guys doing it weren't using Blue?

I'll think about it some more after the infomercial.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue is used more often for glass or drawing up an Allied Eagle.

Most often if your making Light you use the brightest allied colors 80-84 along with Red and Orange.

Check out Azri's Stuff... they have excellent examples of usage on Gradient and Aliasing.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still better than my first voxel was. #Tongue

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The most important thing is... even if you're checking other's work, only check the points of their style, allow yourself to build up your own. Experiment and don't give up.

I know that I'm also sucking in voxels mostly, tho yea, I took my time to actually care about those voxels, I remember, I took ~5 hours with taht old Allied Mobile Factory I released both old and new version.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I start making vox, I usually get an existing unit that is about the size I want my vox to be, and make a few changes as I go.

I made a few vids on youtube of me making voxels, you might find some helpful techniques. (full screen is best)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHrhQSt00YU]Old TI flame tank[/youtube]

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just work voxel by voxel, I try avoiding mirroring because it fucks up the normals.

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not everyone starts out a master just sit there making things over a few weeks. go to the voxel section and learn how others make voxels the spotlight forum. And seriously look at voxel bounds work in HVA incase you voxel is too big you can adjust with the Hva bounds so no worries.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shrunken voxels don't always look that good, actually. Depending on how much you shrunk (I assume more than 20%), detail will get lost. It's best if you manage to make your voxel the right size from the start, though shrinking is the second-best option.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crim, IMO Cubed AutoNormals provides good results in about 90% of the voxels.

=======================

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And hand-drawn normals provide good results in about 100% of the voxels (assumed they are drawn by someone who knows what he's doing).

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Considering that everyone who does nornmals by hand uuses TS normal, which are usually look wonky.... yea, definitely.

=======================

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I just work voxel by voxel, I try avoiding mirroring because it fucks up the normals.

Mirroring is a great resource. I usually do autonormals until the model is done, then I do any manual normal painting that needs to be done

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Sir Shockwave
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First of all, thanks to everyone for their help and advice. It's a bit much to read and pick up on everything, but I'll get though it all eventually X3

Second off, I'm not sure if you can tell but I added a little extra detail to the frigate, AND found a way to miniaturize the turret so it's not dominating over half the hull.

The turret however still needs it's Voxel offset, which we'll figure out eventually.

Corsair
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a bit of a problem making my voxels a little too small starting out, too. As others have said, a good way to go is to edit pre-existing voxels to get a better idea of how the textures and details work. I can't give any better advice, I did most of my voxeling in TibSun but I imagine it's not much different in RA. I have noticed that RA voxels are noticeably larger than TibSun so just keep in mind that you should make it larger than you're probably anticipating. Some people also have issues with textures but there is a large library of amazing ones to pick from on this site to study.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon