Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:06 am
All times are UTC + 0
Brutal Doom
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [31 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject:  Brutal Doom Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If there are any other Doom fans out here, you should check out the Brutal Doom mod. It adds tons of new violence and gore, hitboxes on enemies so you can shoot their heads or limbs off, makes the weapons more powerful and satisfying, the enemies deal more damage and are faster and have new attacks, you can perform fatalities and quick kicks (duke style), etc. You can even rescue captured fellow marines who will help you kill the monsters (and they are quite good at it). After Brutal Doom I can't play the original anymore, it just feels so... lacking in comparison. One of the best mods I've ever seen.

Heres the ModBD page: Brutal Doom

You should get Zandronum to run the mod: Zandronum v1.0

The latest version trailer: Brutal Doom v0.17 trailer

Here's gameplay on a map the author of the mod made, just shows how skilled the guy is: After the Holocaust

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice gore for sure but else it is just as disgustingly ugly as original game with no improved textures apart from effects which does bring it down.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got Brutal installed few weeks ago. It owns. But it didn't replace original Doom, I still play it just for the Shotgun to mow down them bitches, thats just unreached.
BTW the BGF Edition is trash, worse visuals than the Windows DOOM and lagging with no chance to assign keys or play MP.
LOL Ugly, foolish.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, got it yesterday and I bloody love it. One of the best mods I've ever played IMO, so much fun!

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen it, been tempted to use it. I guess I HAVE to now.

After I finish this megamap I'm working on, that is.

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and suddenly I find myself playing it for 4 hours straight....'go ztype yourself'

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I lied when I said I was going to try to finish the last parts of my map...

I'm going to redownload Hell Revealed 2 and find some other extremely hard MegaWADs to test.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, just wow.

That really is brutal.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol, awesome. The way Doom should have been.

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good idea, bad implementation.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elaborate, man! My god, you've got to elaborate!

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After having played Crysis 3 for nearly 200 hours I just can't go back to playing something that looks like Doom Razz

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definitely anti-aggression therapy on a whole new level Cool

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
After having played Crysis 3 for nearly 200 hours I just can't go back to playing something that looks like Doom Razz

says it and mods a 90's game Razz

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RTS games don't look dated quite as easily as FPS games.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe. I like the way Doom looks. It's not supposed to be photorealistic.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Maybe. I like the way Doom looks. It's not supposed to be photorealistic.

Gameplay > graphics #Tongue

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always disliked having to aim with the keyboard in Doom though.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eh? You don't have to... even without look up/down and you can still turn with the mouse like any other FPS.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Eh? You don't have to... even without look up/down and you can still turn with the mouse like any other FPS.

Not in the original. Was added with the source ports (ZDoom, etc).

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, well I guess I only played Final Doom on PS1 back then. #Tongue  Well, later in the 90s. I was 1 when Doom was first released.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
OmegaBolt wrote:

I'm pretty sure there was mouse turning in the originals. I remember I used to play with keyboard only and then got totally massacred by a guy in multiplayer who used the mouse, so then I adopted mouse controls as well, but in those days there was no pitch up or down, not even scroll up or down like in some of the rival extruded 2D games, so mouse forward and backward would make you run forward and backward instead as far as I remember.

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No way, there was no free look in Doom 1&2, mouse was usable only for movement and turning around.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using the mouse to turn around is basically aiming if you use A and D to strafe.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ViPr wrote:
Dutchygamer wrote:
OmegaBolt wrote:

I'm pretty sure there was mouse turning in the originals. I remember I used to play with keyboard only and then got totally massacred by a guy in multiplayer who used the mouse, so then I adopted mouse controls as well, but in those days there was no pitch up or down, not even scroll up or down like in some of the rival extruded 2D games, so mouse forward and backward would make you run forward and backward instead as far as I remember.

Also very well possible. I only played the source ports (as I only discovered this game a couple of years ago), and from what I read they added mouse aiming. My assumption was that the original game lacked this.
Doesn't matter how it is: the game is much better when you can use your mouse to aim instead of turning with the keyboard #Tongue

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
ViPr wrote:
Dutchygamer wrote:
OmegaBolt wrote:

Also very well possible. I only played the source ports (as I only discovered this game a couple of years ago), and from what I read they added mouse aiming. My assumption was that the original game lacked this.
Doesn't matter how it is: the game is much better when you can use your mouse to aim instead of turning with the keyboard #Tongue

What the source ports have probably done is add looking up and down either through rotation or scrolling, and removed the vertical auto-aim to make the aiming fully manual, because in the original, the player aimed horizontally only and the vertical aiming was completely done automatically by the computer, but the vertical aiming was completely invisible except by noticing where the projectiles went.

In case you don't know, many of these early first person view games used 3D that was actually just 2D that was extruded up and down. There were no slopes in Doom 1 & 2. Rival games that were similar ended up having a few slopes in some games, and even had looking up and down, but it was done by scrolling the render up and down rather than rotating the camera up and down. The reasons for the limitations were that they allowed for optimized algorithms that used much less processing power.

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW. new video

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ViPr wrote:
Dutchygamer wrote:
ViPr wrote:
Dutchygamer wrote:
OmegaBolt wrote:

What the source ports have probably done is add looking up and down either through rotation or scrolling, and removed the vertical auto-aim to make the aiming fully manual, because in the original, the player aimed horizontally only and the vertical aiming was completely done automatically by the computer, but the vertical aiming was completely invisible except by noticing where the projectiles went.

In case you don't know, many of these early first person view games used 3D that was actually just 2D that was extruded up and down. There were no slopes in Doom 1 & 2. Rival games that were similar ended up having a few slopes in some games, and even had looking up and down, but it was done by scrolling the render up and down rather than rotating the camera up and down. The reasons for the limitations were that they allowed for optimized algorithms that used much less processing power.

I know the latter part, although adding of vertical aiming in Doom is new for me. Never seen it, nor played it that way.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [31 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum