Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am
All times are UTC + 0
Impor of GIF leads to overlapping frames
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject:  Impor of GIF leads to overlapping frames Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In short. when I import a gif file the first frame comes good but the later ones are displayed over it like overlapping. Like looking at an infantry unit that looks at the same time in all directions. Tried it with various gif so I guess the gif files are ok.

One advice I got was unchecking shadows. They are unchecked by default and I am quite sure it ain't shadow related since when I add shadows its a different effect. Is the import of GIF files actually supported? To show all frames automatically correct? How do I get the frames to show correctly and not overlapping? Thx in advance.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are two different gif setups out there as far as I'm concerned. One has all the frames on top of each other (like an SHP) and on the other, every frame has a different size and what you see are always the current frame's layer on top of the first frame.

The first one gets imported properly, the latter isn't. Best result you can have is to google out a freeware GIF-> PNG converter or something. Even GIMP needs a lot of mess to fix the latter way.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't you prevent the frames from having a different size by just disabling transparency when you save the gif?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Probably yes, I wasn't the creator of the gifs where I've seen the latter way of saving. And if it's once saved in the latter way, it needs the haywire to get fixed if the loading routine didn't do it... or to hunt one which's loading routine fixes it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always use Photoshop to make and edit animated gifs and there's a checkbox to either enable or disable transparency in the 'Save for web' dialog (it's enabled by default).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey hey just learned something new. So a png can be animated sweet. Will try with png instead.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think there's many programs that can create animated PNGs yet however (FAFAIK Photoshop can't, for one).

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In case of GIF->PNG converters... many of those actually creates a png of every frame.

(GIMP can do APNG IIRC btw)

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am I the first one ever to make SHP by GIF import?!

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Probably. And probably this is why I know better your issue than even yourself.

iow, since you wouldn't get it otherwise: no and I know it as well that it's buggy as hell... you should export it to png frames first with a third-party tool then import that. As I already said.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
As I already said.
yup I got that one and am on it. Well to be honest I am at trying out the third tool and well even that one is crap. Just splits a GIF into nonanimated PNG. Aw well guess I just import the single png files and then make a frame sequence out of them. May try later with other tools.

The Import definitely has potential I hope the devs of OS SHP will iron it out Wink

Thx for the help

ow noes, the new png files don't end with .png in the name... I gotta rename them all.

I share the gif for the unlikely case that anyone else is also up to give it a try as well. Source is mostly Metal Slug and random findings at google search.

expl TS.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  expl TS.zip
 Filesize:  1.18 MB
 Downloaded:  104 Time(s)

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I converted them to PNG for you. I gotta say they graphically don't quite look like they'd fit in TS however...

expl TS.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  expl TS.zip
 Filesize:  1.84 MB
 Downloaded:  108 Time(s)

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To speed up stuff in the future... Total Commander has a Batch Rename option in the File menu which can be very useful sometimes (I use it for sound renaming from crap to understandable or at frame reorg during Civ3 conversions).

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many thanks Bittah Commander they come really in handy.
Made a few tests and released one in the media hut. There is however some issues.

The name has to begin with 0000 for the first frame and there must be no space so when the sequence begins with:
explosion 0001 doesn't work.
explosion0000 explosion0001 explosion0002 does.

On some gif which do not have a white background the shp ingame does have one. Really weird since neither Paint.net nor OS SHP nor any other program of mine shows this background but ingame on some gif its there.

Forgot about Total Commander, got that floating around somewhere.

xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This bug also happens when you try to export a SHP to GIF (File > Export > Frames to image, then choose .gif as filetype).

Here is an exported medi.shp file (RA1) to GIF:

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum