Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:52 pm
All times are UTC + 0
TiberiumWeb is browsable yet again.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject:  TiberiumWeb is browsable yet again.
Subject description: We are waiting the DNS change, if it ever happens.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In order to browse TiberiumWeb again add the following code to the file called 'hosts', located at Windows/system32/Drivers/etc:

Code:
46.165.192.213   tiberiumweb.com
46.165.192.213   www.tiberiumweb.com
46.165.192.213   sun.tiberiumweb.com
46.165.192.213   wars.tiberiumweb.com
46.165.192.213   dawn.tiberiumweb.com

Save the file and go to http://www.tiberiumweb.com

Have fun!

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get a "Defualt Website Page" message...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's really weird.

I'm unable to recreate your problem here.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The same thing happens for me when I enter 46.165.192.213 directly into the browser (which should give the same result as entering it in the hosts file).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do not enter the IP directly in your browser. That doesn't work at all. You'd need to go to:

46.165.192.213/~tiberium/

The problem is that TiberiumWeb has a index.html that redirects to tiberiumweb.com/main.php which requires your DNS to be updated.

If you try to go to 46.165.192.213/~tiberium/main.php, you get error 500.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems you're right. After editing the hosts file it worked perfectly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: TiberiumWeb is browsable yet again. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
In order to browse TiberiumWeb again add the following code to the file called 'hosts', located at Windows/system32/Drivers/etc:

[...]

On proper operating systems, this file is at /etc/hosts.

Bittah Commander wrote:
The same thing happens for me when I enter 46.165.192.213 directly into the browser (which should give the same result as entering it in the hosts file).

While this is a reasonable approach as part of debugging the issue, expecting the call to the IP to result in the same as a call to a domain is wrong.

@Banshee && CCHyper: Does the problem still occur? This could've been a problem resulting from cached DNS data as well as improperly/not yet configured vhosts on the server. (e.g. if the account was set up for www.tiberiumweb.com, and Hyper tried the naked domain.)

Also, have you considered just killing that redirect?
I mean, from renaming the main.php over editing the redirect to moving the redirect to .htaccess or mod_rewriting everything into main.php, there are so many ways to deal with this that don't require you to have a hardcoded URL in there...

I am looking at the index.html right now: There is nothing special in there, it should be easily removable. What's more critical are the hardcoded URLs in the page links, but those could be corrected on the client side with a tiny JavaScript, once you attached alternative domains to the account.

Edit: By the way, there's Google Analytics code in the page. If that's not yours/PPM's, you might wanna remove it, lest other people get a chance to analyze your visitors.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just restored the page with the backup The DvD has provided. My efforts so far were to make it work again. I'm currently only hosting the site here. I'll only run it if I am authorized to do it.

I do have a lot of plans for it, including the changes you suggested Renegade.

I think TiberiumWeb could be an interesting site to actually approach the non-modding part of some tiberium C&C games, since Project Perfect Mod itself is too much linked to modding. I wouldn't kill the modding part of Tiberium Web, nor the forums, although my focus would be the non-modding content.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting and really nice idea.
Tibweb might be especially used for things like mapping, that don't belong by 100% to modding, too.

It could be also enhanced with something like an online playing arrangement system, that would allow players to easier organize times and games/mods that they want to play.
Right now you have to know people and contact them via several different ways to organize a match.
A central place that does that would surely allow easier and faster contacts to other players.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys. It's been a while since I've sent a PM to The DvD requesting him to change the DNS settings from tiberiumweb.com, so we could have it running it on Dobby. I don't know what happened to him, but he has not read my PM yet (it's still in the Outbox).

In the meanwhile, I've got it running in this server and even bought a secondary domain for it (tiberiumweb.org) in order to keep it accessible, doing a minimum of code changes and keeping tiberiumweb.com as the official address to the site code and forum code.

So.. should I start tweaking the code to make tiberiumweb.org the main url? Or should I wait?

So far, I'm waiting, since the site is not mine. What do you guys think?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would say wait (e.g. max till end of January). We're in no hurry and the new url might only confuse/block more visitors. (it might be also quite hard/a lot of work to scan the whole ppm forums and replace the old .com links into the .org links in every post)

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder... Could it be somehow possible to make TibWeb share its users database with PPM's so that members only have to be registered at PPM to be able to post at TibWeb?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's complicated, since the forum engines are totally different.

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
[...]
So.. should I start tweaking the code to make tiberiumweb.org the main url? Or should I wait?

So far, I'm waiting, since the site is not mine. What do you guys think?

Do the change through client-side JS in a separate .js file, conditional on the used domain.

That way, you can quickly roll out the fix for those coming in through the .org, and you can remove it just as quickly once the original domain comes through.

It's adding one script call to the global template rather than digging in the innards of the site.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!