Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 am
All times are UTC + 0
About Ares 0.3 and Scaling Down
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject:  About Ares 0.3 and Scaling Down Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happy New Year, everyone!

As you might have noticed, I haven't been that active in the last few days, and there were very little news on Ares. Of course, there are reasons for it, but they really aren't important for the future. One thing is that I was maintaining the Ares related code to work with the new compilers. This also includes updating the build process to actually support the new VC++ 2012 compiler. Interesting stuff.

I created a new v03 branch, called Ares 0.3 Testing Branch, and, like v02 became Ares 0.2 eventually, this will be the main branch for Ares 0.3. To check whether it actually works well together with Yuri's Revenge and the Ares code, the new binary is build with the new compiler, which is tremendously faster than the old one. It would be great if this binary still runs on Windows XP and later, and I hope that someone could test this. If it doesn't work, I can adjust some things. If that also fails, I'll have to go back to the old compiler.

Right now, v03 contains all the Ares 0.2 code, DCoder's Whiteboy bug fix plus some more, and the Cyclic Gattling feature. All the features received some testing already and they seem to be reasonably stable.

If there's no good reason not to, we as the Ares coders would like to say: This is it. Ares 0.3 is feature-complete, meaning it only needs some more bugfixing, testing and documentation. No more new features will be added. Probably the Custom Missiles feature should also be included, and of course Graion also has some stuff ready and waiting. Ares 0.3 would be a smaller update, but it could be out in weeks and not months.

The alternative would be going big, like last time. Including all there is, like the Tiberian Sun features and many more I haven't even mentioned yet. More features require more testing, of course. And more branches, which means it gets harder to test all new features at the same time.

Stopping here would also fit the shorter release cycle we promised, as some of you might remember. The remaining features will be hold back for 0.4, and work on that could start right after 0.3 is out.

TL; DR: Ares 0.3 will become an intermediate release rather than a full-blown release. Thoughts? And does the v03 binary work for everybody?

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smaller release sounds fine, but do add Custom Missiles and AttachEffect. AE is big and revolutionary enough to carry the update. Mix it with Cycle's multiple weapons and it's a big leap.

Seems to work on x32 XP.

Last edited by Speeder on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AE is also buggy enough to ruin the update. If I can't fix it around the deadline, then it won't get there.

I won't postpone a release date with something which I know has more issues than anything Ares atm has.

EDIT (since Speed posted and deleted his post -_-): Right now there is no deadline, but when that line gets laid, and I don't see AE enough matured to go into stable, then it won't go into it.

Yes, I have decided this, back when 0.2 came out.

gd03 will hit 0.3 that's certain, I even stop developing that one, to be sure that one is OK.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tested a few features, everything looks normal in Win7 x64.
I also agree with Speeder, small release is the best choice.
Custom Missiles should definitely be included, it is well tested and verified working.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm with speeder, finish up Custom Missiles and AttachEffect & then make v0.4 more focused on the TS stuff etc.

BTW what ever happened to the bounty logic? I tested that for awhile & really liked it, I haven't seen it mention in ages tho :/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Attach Effect to my knowledge took priority over Bounty, as Graion was working on both and as a developer chose the one he was more interested in, to my knowledge. I too would love to see testing of bounty again, the tags are still in my mods rules..

Preplaced Neutral buildings.
Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bounty was in my plans to be restored on December, but some personal issues kicked in.

Either way, it still has a higher change to get done because of the less bugs and the fact that I know how to fix all of them.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No outrage, no screaming; looks like a consensus. So be it.
The custom missiles feature has been included in the new v03 branch binary.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, not point in massive releases IMO. A stream (more or less) of fixes and new features is a lot better IMO, just means modders need to ensure their players are using the right version.

Also great work for keeping this alive, btw.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon