Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Commander unit
Moderators: SuperJoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject:  Commander unit Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a fun little idea I've been thinking of adding to the mod. Since I've done away with starting units (required for 3rd side), I tweaked some things to make you always start with the MCV and exactly one infantry unit. This infantry is a special commander unit. Basically it's supposed to represent YOU on the battlefield. It wouldn't have a massive gameplay role, only being slightly tougher than regular infantry. But it would add a little fun factor into the skirmish / multiplayer. You could try to keep your commander alive through the match, while trying to eliminate the enemy commanders. Killing the enemy commander instantly promotes any unit to elite, and gives you alot of points for the end score. And vs. humans it could piss them off Smile  Once the commander is dead, he's dead, you can't rebuild it.

When you are about to lose, it could be funny trying to escape into an ally's base with the commander. Or bring him along for the final attack against the enemy, just to rub it in. To further add some personality to the commander, you would randomly get one of four different commanders. Atm they only look different, but could possibly tweak their stats to be unique too, though it would need to be balanced. A unique voice would be cool as well.

commander1.png
 Description:
One of four Nod commanders
 Filesize:  194.91 KB
 Viewed:  9838 Time(s)

commander1.png

commander2.png
 Description:
A GDI commander
 Filesize:  113.92 KB
 Viewed:  9838 Time(s)

commander2.png

ImP_RuLz
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

another addition to the game modes. kill the commander, kill the player #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice idea Smile are they well armed ?

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neat Idea.

I propose for Nod an underslung grenade launcher with a slightly higher range than his rifle so he fires once then closes into rifle range. For GDI a web grenade that can web 3 inf standing on one cell.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SuperJoe wrote:
Killing the enemy commander instantly promotes any unit to elite, and gives you alot of points for the end score.

I think I would kill my own commander with the first strong/expensive unit I have, to get this one to elite instead of keeping a rather weak commander.

A strong elite unit early in the game can be surely deadly when used right away to attack the enemy. (except the elite abilities aren't that useful)
e.g. an elite Titan with
VeteranAbilities=FASTER,STRONGER
EliteAbilities=SELF_HEAL,FIREPOWER
would own even 3-4 normal enemy titans.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ImP_RuLz wrote:
another addition to the game modes. kill the commander, kill the player #Tongue

Unfortunately can't be done. Even then, the AI would be pretty easy to kill off in this kind of mode  Laughing

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
I think I would kill my own commander with the first strong/expensive unit I have, to get this one to elite instead of keeping a rather weak commander.

Could be done, but then again one elite unit won't change the outcome of the match. The veterancy upgrades aren't THAT huge in Reform, e.g. Titan only gets a bigger weapon at elite (+50% damage). The player would be free to do what they want with the commander, either play straightforward max performance style and kill it for an elite unit, or "roleplay" and keep him alive (for fun factor). I have also given the commanders a few special abilities to make them more useful. Here are the concepts for 3 commanders:

Commander Quaritch:

Don't let his age fool you, this guy has survived on the front lines for decades for a reason. He leaves all morals behind and focuses strictly on the job at hand. When he runs out of ammo, he's going to kill you with his bare hands.

Stats: Extra health
Special ability: Can kill enemy infantry instantly with his bare hands

Commander Hassan:

Before being captured and forced into secretly working for GDI, Hassan was a bright young officer in Nod, commanding much respect. His courage was only matched by his fairness, and... - Wait, who am I kidding, Hassan was always a coward and incompetent fool, who rose to power after the previous Nod commander slipped in the shower and broke his neck. Hassan doesn't like to get his hands dirty, so he let's his men do the fighting.

Stats: Lower health
Special ability: Fires special webs to incapacitate enemy infantry (no other weapon)

Commander Vega:

When not busy abusing illegal substances in his base, Vega likes to take secret high tech alien spacecraft for a joy ride. Kane is said to be suffering from high blood pressure and has had a mild stroke after Vega rose to power, though some say this is purely a coincidence. Vega charges into battle stoned and completely unaware of what's going on around him. He is completely reckless yes, but that can also make him dangerous (to enemies and friendlies alike).

Stats: Armed with a powerful chaingun
Special Ability: Being under the effects of drugs can have a serious effect on his aim (watch out friendlies!)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SuperJoe wrote:
The veterancy upgrades aren't THAT huge in Reform, e.g. Titan only gets a bigger weapon at elite (+50% damage).

Sad That doesn't makes it very important to keep units alive if the veteran abilities are that insignificant.

Really nice commanders you have there.
Though Vega could use a more fitting weapon imo. Something based on drugs and chemicals like a tiberium based mutator weapon which creates visceroids.
Too bad you can't have something like the starcraft stimpacks as a weapon, so this unit can shoot on friendly units to raise temporarily their damage and speed while sacrificing a bit of their lifetime/health.
You could also think about giving Vega the VehicleThief ability as he likes to steal alien aircraft and other vehicles.

Hassan the coward could also go with a more unique weapon like mines.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been thinking of returning this feature to the mod. Here's a preview of some work on the Forgotten commanders.

Unlike GDI and Nod commanders who wear the same uniform the Forgotten commanders are a bit more mixed bunch. Going to need some thinking how to make each of them special gameplay wise. For the blondie guy I don't have any ideas yet. The flamethrower rebel is pretty self-explanatory. She will probably be slowed down (Speed 3 or 4) to balance the more powerful weapon. For the western hat guy I was thinking of giving a powerful magnum which would be great against infantry but poor vs. armor. Not sure what to make of the big gun guy either. Any ideas are welcome.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So the Forgotten get Rambo & the Man with no name? Laughing

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reminds of me of WC3 hero units. Perhaps being mutants, one is like an uber-support, with a crazy healing ability, guess thats it, since sadly no aura buffs like "AttachEffects". I would imagine they would act like a "shaman" like unit,  similiar like Tratos and Mortimer from that veinhole cult...perhaps a latter inspiration can spawn mini vein holes or summon the classic meteor weapons ;P

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ickus wrote:
Reminds of me of WC3 hero units. Perhaps being mutants, one is like an uber-support, with a crazy healing ability, guess thats it, since sadly no aura buffs like "AttachEffects". I would imagine they would act like a "shaman" like unit,  similiar like Tratos and Mortimer from that veinhole cult...perhaps a latter inspiration can spawn mini vein holes or summon the classic meteor weapons ;P

A Tratos style healing commander does sound unique. Just worried what the AI would do with him since they can't handle medics. Then again, even if they bug out with him it's just one unit that they will never replace. Could give another Forgotten commander some sort of tiberium based weapon, possibly that visceroid mutator weapon LKO mentioned before. Though the commander units aren't supposed to be overly powerful, so would need to balance it carefully.

To make room for the Tratos healing guy here's an attempt to combine The Man With No Name (yeah that's what it was based on Razz) with the Ghost Stalker edit. Meet the crazy ass hunter dude. He likes to collect animal (and human) skulls as trophies, and has a spot on the top shelf reserved for Kane's skull.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, maybe you could replace the shoulder remap with white to look like he's attached skulls there, and in compensation change the green to remap?

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anim of the hunter:

Crimsonum wrote:
Heh, maybe you could replace the shoulder remap with white to look like he's attached skulls there, and in compensation change the green to remap?

A quick color swap test didn't end with very good results, the details would need to be put in by hand. I think it would be easier to create a unique idle anim with him admiring a skull or something.

Been thinking of giving the hunter a dart gun that fires 2 types of high tech darts, web-darts and EMP-darts that disable a single infantry or vehicle target. The effect wouldn't last horribly long and he would have a long reload time to keep it all balanced. Another idea would be poison darts against infantry that give damage over time, but don't think it would be possible to attach the damage effect to the target.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SuperJoe wrote:
I think it would be easier to create a unique idle anim with him admiring a skull or something.

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rims at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SHP work mostly done with the Forgotten commanders. Here are their profiles. Once I have all the GDI and Nod commanders thought out and finished, will create a separate topic for all the commander profiles.

Commander Winston:

An incredible marksman, an inventor, a poet and a true gentleman. Winston is all of these things. He also collects the skulls of his defeated adversaries, and has reserved a spot on the top shelf for Kane's skull. Some of his men think he might be absolutely and utterly insane, but none have had the guts to speak about it out loud. Winston carries a special high powered dart gun that he has invented and built himself. it is quite a beauty. It can fire all sorts of special darts, though Winston typically carries EMP and web darts for incapacitating his enemies.

+ Armed with an EMP / Web dart gun
- Slower movement
- High reload time on the dart gun

Commander Charles:

In the old world, before everything went to hell, Charles used to be a surgeon and a well respected politician. After losing everyone he loved and getting infected by tiberium, things have not been looking up for Charles. In his darkest hour, he found a new meaning for life. Other infected mutants seemed to always turn to him for guidance and soon he had a large following. Charles hates violence and will never pick up a gun himself, but he has had to admit the reality of the world they live in.

+ Powerful healing skills
- Lower health
- Slower movement

Commander Hellfire:

Yes, her name is Hellfire. If someone asks the story behind her Name, she replies with a stream of fire from her flamethrower. She believes that the mutants need to rid the world of every non-mutant. After this is accomplished, she thinks the remaining mutants need to turn on each other and fight it out until only one is standing. I mean, why the hell not?

+ Armed with a flamethrower
- Slower movement
- Cannot go prone

Commander Willard:

I want you to think the coolest person you have ever known. Ok. Well, Willard is at least twice as cool as that person. He's too cool to even look at you. Willard is armed with his cool rapid firing pulse pistols that never seem to run out ammo. Once he has opened fire on someone, it can only end in the death of the target or Willard, because Willard is too cool to run away from a fight. Actually, Willard is too cool to die either.

+ Armed with rapid firing pulse pistols
+ Twice as cool as the coolest person you know

Last edited by SuperJoe on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does Willard know Hellfire's name? What happens, when he asks that info?

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Does Willard know Hellfire's name? What happens, when he asks that info?

If he was to ask, I would presume Hellfire responds in her typical manner and tries to burn Willard alive. Willard would do an epic dodge manoeuvre, barely escaping the flames. After this they would stare each other in the eyes, readying for the battle of the century. Nobody can tell who would win, but needless to say the outcome would affect the entire world.

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love this. But the weapons could be better.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a new Nod commander armed with a chemical sprayer finished. Will be replacing Hassan and Vega with original new commanders. The chemical commander will have limited ammo after which he will need to go reload at a tiberium field.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love this idea. I hope you make them actually effect battle. It would be a neat choice to have the player choose their commander at the beginning of the game, like subfactions.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nod commanders finished.

Commander Alistair:

Nobody knows what sort of sadistic face is smirking behind that mask, but commander Alistair is known for his weapons research programs that violate every human right. Biological weapons, chemical weapons, nuclear weapons. He deals with them all. The more twisted the concept the better. He currently ranks #4 on GDI's most wanted list (with Kane being #1). Alistair has armed himself with a tiberium based chemical sprayer that can turn its victims into horrific tiberium lifeforms.

+ Armed with a chemical sprayer that can turn enemies into visceroids
- Weapon has limited ammo and needs to be reloaded on tiberium fields
- Cannot go prone
* Leaves behind chemical gas clouds after he dies

Commander Gazaro:

This ruthless and charismatic man is the undeniable leader of the tiberium infested Africa. He deals in illegal narcotics, for which the demand has gone skyhigh in the current state of the world, especially in the red and yellow zones. GDI has been able to do very little to interfere with his operations. At the current state of things, even Kane seems to be unable to control him. Gazaro has been known to use his own products. Infact most of the time he is completely stoned, which can make him unpredictable. He charges into the battle with his powerful chaingun, not caring who or what he is shooting at, as long as it goes down with a satisfying impact.

+ Armed with a powerful chaingun
- Being under the effects of drugs can have a serious effect on his aim (watch out friendlies!)

Commander Mikhail:

When Nod first started working on cyborg technology, Mikhail was initially intrigued, then fascinated and finally completely obsessed. He began requesting modifications to be done to his body. Few years later he looks like a plastic surgery gone horribly wrong. But it doesn't matter what on the outside, it's what's inside - a cybernetically enchanced internal system that allows him to survive getting cut in half. The laser rifle that he is armed with is actually built into and powered by his own body. One question remains though - just what the hell is that thing attached to his head???

+ Armed with a laser rifle
+ Can survive any single attack, no matter how powerful (can get cut in half though)
+ More health
+ Cannot be crushed and immune to webs
- Vulnerable to EMP based attacks
- Cannot go prone
* Explodes violently upon death, dealing damage to anyone nearby

Commander X:

Very little is known about this man, even among his own followers. Simply referred to as X, one distinguishing feature are the sunglasses he wears at all times. Even at night. He is able to keep it cool even under intense firefights, calmly picking off enemies with his trusty shotgun.

+ Armed with a shotgun (with incendiary ammo)
+ Small fires lit up at the impact zone of the weapon, dealing area damage.

Here's an animation of the cyborg commander (those crawling frames sure were a pain in the ass):

Also a preview of one of the upcoming GDI commanders. Meet Commander "Bear" Brooks, a big man with a big mouth (standing next to a normal sized man). In addition to having extra health and other buffs, he can taunt enemies to focus their fire on him (using Veinhole=yes) Razz.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SuperJoe wrote:
...he can taunt enemies to focus their fire on him...

You say that like it's a skill that'll work work to his advantage. When a group of enemy units attacks you and there's a commando or any kind of other "hero" unit among them, you'd normally wanna focus all your weapons on that hero unit to begin to take him out ASAP, considering he'll do the most damage.

With that in mind though, it indeed is a good idea to make the AI automatically always focus on the hero unit when dealing with a group of enemy units, but it might be a bit too much help if this also affects units that belong to human players.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
You say that like it's a skill that'll work work to his advantage. When a group of enemy units attacks you and there's a commando or any kind of other "hero" unit among them, you'd normally wanna focus all your weapons on that hero unit to begin to take him out ASAP, considering he'll do the most damage.

With that in mind though, it indeed is a good idea to make the AI automatically always focus on the hero unit when dealing with a group of enemy units, but it might be a bit too much help if this also affects units that belong to human players.

He will have a lot more health and can't be crushed etc, but he will also have a relatively weak weapon. It would make more sense to prioritize weak targets to reduce the damage than one strong target that isn't doing damage all too fast. But this is all down to balancing, which I haven't really done for any of the commanders yet.

OmegaBolt wrote:
I love this idea. I hope you make them actually effect battle. It would be a neat choice to have the player choose their commander at the beginning of the game, like subfactions.

Choosing commander would be nice indeed, but it would require some hacky workarounds that probably aren't worth it. I'm still figuring out just how powerful the commanders should be. Can't make them commando unit powerful because you start with one immediately, which could lead to players rushing the enemy base with them. One thing I've been considering as well is giving commanders Sight=0 and MoveToShroud=no so you couldn't use them as early game scouts, which again could be a balance issue since some of them are faster than others. But I'm not sure it's such a huge issue anyway.

One stat that commanders should have fairly high is HP, that doesn't really make them more of a threat to bases early on, but it allows them to be used in battles without the risk of losing them right away. All the commanders will be self-healing and Nod and Forgotten commanders will be able to heal at tiberium fields.

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Commander X...

Is that... Duke Nukem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon