Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Reichstag (wip)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 4 [166 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No apology needed as I think even a bump map might be useless #Tongue At RA2 scale most of the details are so small I don't think it will make much of a difference. For the damaged version tho bump maps will be helpful to add depth to dents & craters etc.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
206UE
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You and 4stargeneral are crazy people. Making buildings like this. I would die halfway through the project.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just hope the building gets some spectacular explosion/destruction anim. Something like the Ion Cannon destroying the White House, just ingame. Cool

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm familiar with FumeFX but I've never done any destruction anims before, any suggestions for plugins &/or tutorials would be appreciated.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
ImP_RuLz
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there are two ways:
1) if you're using 3ds max 2012 or higher then you can use MassFX to make a realistic collapsing of the building
or
2) if you're using 3ds max 2011 or below then you can use reactor for the same effects
both methods will require you to cut the building in many pieces and then you can add FumeFX just for the explosions

im also attaching a free tool called "FractureVoronoi". this tool can divide a model/mesh into as many parts as you want and it doesnt screw up the texture.

also, this video shows blowing stuff up with MassFX

FractureVoronoi.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  FractureVoronoi.rar
 Filesize:  3.36 KB
 Downloaded:  51 Time(s)

Last edited by ImP_RuLz on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:45 am; edited 3 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ImP_RuLz wrote:

EDIT: why isnt the youtube player thingy working?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Z9QWY_O2g[/youtube]

HTTPS isn't supported I think.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tool & link. I'm using 3ds max 2010 atm but I plan to get 2013 once I've finished this project tho, so I can try out both.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way Mig, you're my hero. I will buy you all the beer you can drink one of these days. You have to provide your own transport to Birmingham though. Very Happy

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The feeling is mutual Aro #Tongue

The roof is nearing completion, there are a few small details tho that I'm questioning if I should model or just add to the roof texture.

& here is the render of the front that was asked for.

Madin
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ImP_RuLz wrote:
there are two ways:
1) if you're using 3ds max 2012 or higher then you can use MassFX to make a realistic collapsing of the building
or
2) if you're using 3ds max 2011 or below then you can use reactor for the same effects
both methods will require you to cut the building in many pieces and then you can add FumeFX just for the explosions

im also attaching a free tool called "FractureVoronoi". this tool can divide a model/mesh into as many parts as you want and it doesnt screw up the texture.

also, this video shows blowing stuff up with MassFX

Another one click solution that could have saved me 100's of hours.... sigh!

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my computer is very bad..... Sad

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Entirely off-topic, but ok.

Anyway, Rayfire does a better job of destruction, though it isn't free, you may want to try that. Only problem is that it permanently disassembles used objects. But I'm sure you must be saving duplicates of your project anyway, so it wouldn't matter.

Entire building is looking beautiful though, a very nice portfolio piece, even if the detail isn't visible ingame.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
*front pic*

I have no words.

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Mig Eater wrote:
*front pic*

I have no words.

I have two: Holy shit.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The "grooves" are iron bars & are individually modeled. Or do you mean the bricks above the windows..? Which are part of the texture.

I made the textures myself, the pillar tops & moldings etc are edited from photos tho.

Last edited by Mig Eater on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can only imagine you will use this in some kind of portfolio. God damn this looks good (and professional as well).

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

O_O

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The monotony of the beige brick work has been broken with the weathered patina of the copper roof.  

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greeeat, I'd say. Only the middle top remains.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With the 3D printer technology people have developed, it would be fantastic to make a scale model out of this. Too bad plastic is such a horribly unsustainable material...

Also, what's with this strange copper area at the back of the building? Is it really supposed to be assymmetric like that?

strange_tiles.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.17 KB
 Viewed:  12313 Time(s)

strange_tiles.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

amazing work.

Just the roof texture needs a bit more work.
If you look next to the bottom right tower, you can see that the roof shingles aren't in a running bond like yours, but in stack bond.

In addition are the shingles bigger, with only 6 rows filling one side of the roof.

The patina of the copper roof also shouldn't be that green imo. I think a more turquoise grey would be better, maybe even have it still have some copper red in it.

Finally the roof texture should get a slightly stronger glossiness, so you can see some sun reflections in it.
Maybe even add a dummy sky to your scene and let the roof reflect that sky, so the colors aren't that plain and you might even see some cloud formations if you look closely.

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tanks for the tips LKO, I can't believe I missed the size/layout of the tiles XP

I only have only a few low res pics of the back of the roof
& as far as I can see that's what it's meant to be like. I'd be grateful if someone can find some clearer pic(s) to show if it's correct or not.

BTW I calculated that I've spent over 300 hours working on this so far #Tongue

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found a color picture of the old Reichstag  Surprised

hope it helps
It's a colour print from "Paul Wallot from 1896", the architect of the building.

more from Paul Wallot found on wikipedia

click image to view in high res (3.498 x 2.580 Pixel). (high res FTW)

a big one in black/white, though i don't think there is anything new visible on this one
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Academy_Architecture_1895_Deutsches_Reichstagsgebäude_Berlin_Geheimrath_Prof_Paul_Wallot_Architect_Dresden_002.jpg

the destroyed one around 1945, which you might use as reference for the later damage frames

a colored picture of the old building

Note the dark turquoise roof color (even if the colors here seem to be quite exaggerated by the artist)
The website has a lot more colored gems like this

note the golden dome

another colored picture

looking at these, i think you have to brighten up your general wall texture to a more bright beige.
Some more different colors need to be applied to the model
-the base with the big bricks should be bright grey colored
-the columns all around the building in white chalk or marble
-the building itself in a bright yellow/beige
-the roof in dark turquoise
-the 4 figures in the corners on top of each of the 4 towers in a dark gold/grey
-the dome in gold

btw, most if not all pictures miss the text "dem deutschen Volke" as this wasn't added until 1916, 20 years after its construction was finish and the pictures were made before 1916.

Public SHPs

Tools

Last edited by Lin Kuei Ominae on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:59 am; edited 5 times in total

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huh, I had no idea the top was covered in gold paint.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The frieze above the entrance looks too dark, imo.  It's on the sunward side of the building, so it should be lighter.

Cool looking roof.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks LKO but I've got all of those pictures already #Tongue

Most of those pics are hand coloured black & white photos (I have the originals of a few of them), the colours are pretty washed out & very inconsistent, so they're not the best source for colour references IMO.

They also depict the build as it was built in 1894, whereas my model is based on the building in the 1933, So you have to take 39 years of weathering into account. For example the patina on the copper roof would take about 15-20 years to mature, so by the 1930's it would be pretty green. The same goes for the whiteness of the bricks, 39 years of smoke & dirt from an industrial city would have darkened it somewhat.

Edit: I've redone the roof now with extra shinyness #Tongue

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The grooves in the pic,. I have a building that has a similar feature I am thinking of making the building have the groove rather then the texture.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The new roof looks excellent.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The ledge at the top is big enough for someone to stand on so I modeled it. Where as the bricks at the top of the window are just millimeters deep so it's simply part of the texture.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

really nice and the color is much better, though i still think the shingles are too small

attached is a cut showing the shingles and how big they are and a bit editing to fill the bright areas with copies of the right part where you can see them.
you have about 7 shingles (6 full and 1/2 at the bottom and 1/2 at the top)
while the picture shows only about 5 and a half. let there be a small part behind the ledge, so you get 6 full shingles.

roof.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.68 KB
 Viewed:  12074 Time(s)

roof.png

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The dome is done, complete with thousands of tiny glass windows... >.>

I'll redo the roof once I've finished everything else, I spent so long working on it I just want to do other stuff now XP

0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Almost there, mig.

It's looking great so far.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very impressive

Chronosheep
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe not thousands... but more than I care to count. They are so small they end up just getting blurred together in most photos (in my render too!)

You can see them more clearly here

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smoothing groups.  You should make use of them on the dome.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thx I forgot about that XP

\LKO Edit: post text added and double post removed
modding power FTW

Double post FTW #Tongue

It's nearly done, just 21 statues left to do now...

I'm relocating this weekend so it will be a few days before the next update.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, this truly looks spectacular.

Public SHPs

Tools

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All hail the Miggy, bringer of all things... Mig.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go back to this post.....

Quote:
Crimsonum

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:12    Post subject:

With the 3D printer technology people have developed, it would be fantastic to make a scale model out of this. Too bad plastic is such a horribly unsustainable material...

Also, what's with this strange copper area at the back of the building? Is it really supposed to be assymmetric like that?

the image shows a part not proper. but wow....simply amazing

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh shiiiii like skilled Italian artist #monalisa !

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd reduce the reflection made by the metal, but otherwise, ace work.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deformat wrote:
I'd reduce the reflection made by the metal, but otherwise, ace work.

no. but it need bump map and some sky reflection.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It already has a sky reflection, it's mostly noticeable on roof sections angled towards the front. I also tried out a bump map but it looked really messy at RA2 scale, I plan to try again once I've done everything else tho.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
It already has a sky reflection, it's mostly noticeable on roof sections angled towards the front. I also tried out a bump map but it looked really messy at RA2 scale, I plan to try again once I've done everything else tho.

yes i know, awesome work btw. but I've meant this golden thingly on top

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah... I see, I'll add some reflection to the dome & see how it looks.

I'm having some problems tho. As I mentioned earlier I changed my location & thus also changed computer, which for some reason doesn't like this model. When I open it here one of the sections is corrupted, the vertexes are all over the place & it's lost the UVW mapping.

The same files still work correctly on the PC I was previously using tho, but I wont have accesses to that machine for another month. So do I either wait the month or spend a day or two remaking the effected part..?

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there is a way through chrome that you can access your computer. I had a friend show me. It works kinda like teamview program. work off any computer accessing your own, you can edit the model  and still be saving on your other computer

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to wait until I'm back in the Netherlands before I continue work on this. I started working on some other things while I was thinking about what to do & now I'm busy with them instead #Tongue

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whats the idea in modelling all the rooms and stuff... just for fun?
or for the ruined stage or something?

great work btw, must have taken some time!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 4 [166 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon