Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Coastal Path (2)
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject:  Coastal Path (2) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Name: Coastal Path
Player: 2
Naval: yes
Size: 96x94

Megamap Preview Warning: 18mb PNG

-despite the few blossom trees, a few special "things" were added to give additional sources of income later in a match
-still working on a few civil triggers and stuff

The map started as a test on the submarine pen, which i just created for fun using the different DTA assets and when it turned out quite nice, i randomly added more and more terrain around it, which in the end became this map.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't hugely like the incidental blue lighting.  If you wanted blue ambiance, couldn't you have just pumped up the map wide lighting?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually there is no blue lightpost except on the blue tibfield.
The map itself even has the blue channel weakened
Red=1.000000
Blue=0.900000
Green=1.100000

The others are negative light posts with the following setting (where blue isn't the main color too)
LightRedTint=-0.8
LightBlueTint=0.2
LightGreenTint=0.2
LightIntensity=-0.2
LightVisibility=3500

Do i assume right, that you basically refer to the bigger forest island in the south?

Public SHPs

Tools

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm basically referring to all the parts of the map with the strong cyan tint.

CoastalPathsml.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  319.29 KB
 Viewed:  4087 Time(s)

CoastalPathsml.jpg

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These areas were just meant to be a bit darker due to dense forests or simply because it looks cool. And for that i didn't want to place only a simple grey-scaled darkening lightpost but a more colorful one.

When viewing the map in the megamap, i also don't find the lighting that prominent. Like it could be simply a more cyan/different colored coast water etc.

Public SHPs

Tools

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, those parts look weird. Otheriwse, the layout of this map looks gorgeous. Good job, Lin! I'm starting to wonder why you never mapped for TI #Tongue (sorry if I'm wrong)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I once started a map for TI, but the huge amount of assets deterred me. I also often had immense trouble to get along with the 3d terrain, meaning a cliff suddenly had no way to blend/end into the next terrain/area. (they need 4 cells/slopes to get a transition, in DTA 0)

TD and DTA is a lot easier in this way. First you draw some water, then some cliffs and basically you're already done, as TD/DTA maps are by default "a bit less detailed" or use a smaller amount of different assets.

I'll see what i can do about the lighting. Do you have any suggestions?
Should i make them the usual (imo boring) grey/black colored darkening lightposts? Or only move them far away enough from water?

I also thought about placing lightposts specifically in water to give the impression of lower and deeper areas. But i guess this is a "no go" too, right?

Public SHPs

Tools

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd just make the cyan slightly less strong (but still keep it as cyan), and make the map slightly darker generally; those tibfields are burning my eyes in their current form. You could also make the cyan light posts more "negative", since the forests don't really look that much darker at the moment.

You surely like huge maps, I would've already added 2 more players if I made a map as large as this one #Tongue

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah, not enough space for more players #Tongue

This any better lighting?
DTA has already many darker than default maps, so i want to keep it a bit brighter (has Ambient=1.25 while most other have 0.95 or lower)
I also think the general higher brightness reduces a lot the blocky lighting. (Could be my slight dyschromatopsia but i don't see any blocky lighting at all here, which i'm quite fond of. Maybe that's why i also don't think the cyan was that prominent in the first place.)

cp_lighting2.png
 Description:
darkening light post
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Viewed:  4050 Time(s)

cp_lighting2.png

cp_lighting.png
 Description:
tibfield lighting
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Viewed:  4050 Time(s)

cp_lighting.png

Public SHPs

Tools

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, it's better now.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the look of that little outpost. The tunnels/bridges on that same screenshot, however, don't look that good. It seems like they are half isometric half top-down (as TD cliffs were).

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that you mention it, i notice it too.
The left exit of the tunnel/bridge is moved 1 cell to the north. This could enhance the wrong perspective effect. I'll see if i can fix that with a different positioning of the cliffs and tunnels.

Public SHPs

Tools

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right-down corner - why are there cliffs over a bridge?!!!

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a tunnel through a cliff, not a bridge with cliffs on top. Wink

Public SHPs

Tools

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a really nice map, the lighting comes across as a bit odd but I can see where you're going, the blue in some ways looks like a different shade of grassy terrain but I still think even in the current revision it looks a little bit too strong as it spills over into the surrounding waters.

Otherwise, nice work!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon