Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Arrakis Reborn
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [72 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject:  Arrakis Reborn
Subject description: A HD remake of Dune 2000
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Took a while to announce this project, so as you can see it's quite much related to Dune universe. The plan is to recreate Dune 2000 as HD with some enhanced gameplay and stuff. I'm open for suggestions since it's not a 'game' project for myself, it's for the community and enthusiasts.

Main features:
-High resolution buildings, units and FXs
-OpenRA engine
-2xTS tile scale.
-Pseudo cliffs -> flat ground
-Open source -> all assets (including source files) will be available under CC BY-NC 4.0 license

Currently there's only me doing this, so if you want to help you can do following:
-Coding
-Concept art
-3d modelling/animating

arrakis_main_menu_04_720p.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  905.06 KB
 Viewed:  17027 Time(s)

arrakis_main_menu_04_720p.png

Last edited by DonutArnold on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A Dune project? Do keep us posted if so #Tongue

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really want to play Dune2000 since I have never looked into the series, but after finally researching the gameplay, it looks like something I would definitely enjoy. The only problem is that it doesn't work for Windows 8 and I can't seem to find any patches or 'fixed' versions. Fu.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very secret there, Donut. #Tongue

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

:O, mmmm..... command and conquer rewire?.... :3
gggg.....
nice..... project :O

TaShadan
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome. Is there any news about this? I am a huge Dune universe fan and i am working on a Mod for OpenRA. Looking forward to this mod!

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shame, I've been toying with the idea of making a Dune mod myself for a very long time.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
TaShadan
Medic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Shame, I've been toying with the idea of making a Dune mod myself for a very long time.

Why not team up? :p

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you guys need hosting or a forum for internal discussion, PPM is at your disposal #Tongue.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was working on the Hark structures, but my course load has been so high that I haven't really worked with them in months.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And I would like to try my hand at some more terrain styles. It looks like a small team is at the ready, if you're still up for it. Smile

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right now I'm too busy to start anything new. Maybe later in the year when I have my personal stuff sorted (my computer is still in a different time zone to me) & next version of D-day is finished. Then I'll have time to start a Dune mod or contribute to a preexisting one.

BTW I actually started a Dune mod, I think about 5 years ago now. I'd just started giving D-day a big overhaul tho & it didn't get past a rough alpha with public assets.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They asked & got turned down, so we don't ask! #Tongue

Last edited by Mig Eater on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So far no C&D for the Dune2k port to OpenRA.

Plokite_Wolf
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I read and understood correctly, they asked permission for making a GAME, not a mod. No wonder they got turned down.

Also, nobody complained on the Battle For Dune: War Of Assassins mod for Renegade.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
TaShadan
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would offer my help aswell. I am no pro but i have a little bit experience with the YAML code and i am good at mapping and balancing. I am also able to create some low poly models, i suck at texturing though.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
And I would like to try my hand at some more terrain styles.

Sand, sand and more sand? #Tongue

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the feeling EA does not hold rights for the Dune franchise anymore, because you currently can't buy Dune 2000 or Emperor: Battle for Dune anywhere.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

TaShadan
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M. wrote:
I have the feeling EA does not hold rights for the Dune franchise anymore, because you currently can't buy Dune 2000 or Emperor: Battle for Dune anywhere.

Yes they do not hold them anymore. As far as i know its Frank Herberts son (Brian Herbert) has the rights.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello people, are you still interested about this project? #Tongue

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might need to tease with some WIP shots. Smile

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold wrote:

sure, but please update the image and remove the "stars" (pixel) that are in front of the right planets side Wink

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Indeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!  #Mad  #Mad  #Mad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad

xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold wrote:

Of course we are.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back then when I started to work this project I didn't manage to do much because another game project came and I pretty much spent my time to work with that.

I always wanted to make a HD remake of Dune 2000 because I haven't seen anyone else doing that (and I don't mean 3d remakes). It'll use OpenRA and have 2xTS cell size because it's HD, of course.

After some time and now being free from any IRL projects here I am trying this once again. I just started working with this today and I hope I'll keep working with this. Smile

Attached a WIP image of cliffs and currently I'm thinking of sticking with pseudo cliffs unless someone has a good opinion against that.

cliff01_02x.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  294.24 KB
 Viewed:  14834 Time(s)

cliff01_02x.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold wrote:
currently I'm thinking of sticking with pseudo cliffs

you mean they are still flat terrain wise? (like the cliffs in TD and RA1)
Since you follow the isometric view and have them already match pretty well the size and height of real isometric cliffs, why not make them isometric?
It's always nice to see objects hide behind them ingame, giving the game a lot more visual depth than just a flat map.

Anyway, shape and texture look really good, matching well the Dune style.

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Depth sprites/isometric Z-buffer does not require true cliffs or height logic. You can have flat maps with depth logic and it stioll gives benefits at fixing building overlapping and stuff like that.

However indeed, the OpenRA depth system uses arbitrary values, undocumented and probably will end up broken on that tilesize (since it's limited to 255 values due to being a sprite).

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The primary advantage I see in pseudo-cliffs would be that you can use rendered sprites rather than voxels for vehicles (though tbf, OpenRA doesn't yet support voxel tilting anyway).

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Visually it looks good, I'd reserve judgment until I see how the game works... one of the reasons Dune and the early C&C's could get away with flat maps is the perspective, height is less visually obvious than in TS/RA2 engines.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd keep it 2D, I rather like it for gameplay clarity (despite lacking height bonuses but a system could be coded for that in 2D), mostly because I hate the hidden cells behind far cliffs. It feels far cleaner when the cliffs are exactly the same width visually at any angle. That said, you've not done that here. #Tongue  The originals manipulated the angle for back cliffs to make them the same size, which I would suggest too.

It also makes mapping far more fun and quick too IMO, something worth considering since you'll need all original maps.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
However indeed, the OpenRA depth system uses arbitrary values, undocumented and probably will end up broken on that tilesize (since it's limited to 255 values due to being a sprite).

All the documentation from the system in the original game can be applied to OpenRA Wink

Why do you think this would break? 2 x TS is still far below the 255x255 px limit.

Reaperrr wrote:
The primary advantage I see in pseudo-cliffs would be that you can use rendered sprites rather than voxels for vehicles

He could use rendered sprites with heightmap/depth-enabled terrain too.  The two aren't really related.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can't fit bigger footprints than 5x5 on an 510x510 canvas with the 2*TS tilesize. That's quite small.

And I'm applying the knowledge of the original system here.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

5x5 is quite small?  The largest building footprint in d2k is 3x3.
If there are special show-piece buildings that need extra-large footprints then they could be constructed from multiple sprites on the one actor.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And the largest building in TS is 6x4 which doesn't fit to the canvas already. And i didn't even thought of Ares CustomFoundation.

=======================

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually 6x4 would still only be 240px deep, so would be fine.

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

will this mod contain any extra units not found in the original dune 2000, perhaps taking concepts from the books? i love dune 2000, especially after the patch that gave harkonnen Sankara troops, was like a free mini expansion, but overall  the unit composition is pretty stale in dune 2000. battle for dune fixes the unit composition issue but made it 3d which i personally didnt like.

either way it will be great to see infantry only terrain.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pchote wrote:
If there are special show-piece buildings that need extra-large footprints then they could be constructed from multiple sprites on the one actor.

couldn't OpenRA do this automatically?
e.g. if i create a 6x6 building as a single big SHP, OpenRA is then splitting the SHP up into 4 3x3 parts. Since it's one big building, even small depth issues along the seams should stay unnoticed, since they are completely inside the building.
Me as an SHP creator wouldn't do anything else than splitting it up into 4 3x3 parts and then put them together again, so i think this could be also done automatically by the engine.

The only problem could be activeanims for one big building. Having them automatically split up and then still played perfectly synchronized might be a problem.

Public SHPs

Tools

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moved to Public Project Announcements

I also edited the first post.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
[...]

The issue isn't with actual art, but only with the depth sprite. Come to think of it, I doubt many will go and create custom depth sprites, so tiling the depthsprite could be an option - with each tile having it's own base z-offset and center being 0.

This ofcourse is only possible if the center of the depthsprite can be unlinked from the actual sprite art, notsure if there are tags for that.

=======================

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@LKO: I'll recreate the teaser pic because it was partly made with 3ds max which I no longer use. And thanks, the current cliff is my 5th version Very Happy

@malius123: It won't be 1:1 HD remake, it'll have improved gameplay and something extra to make more division between sides.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So the interest would not be gone so quickly here's some more stuff:

concrete01_01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.22 KB
 Viewed:  14314 Time(s)

concrete01_01.png

windtrap01_01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.56 KB
 Viewed:  14314 Time(s)

windtrap01_01.png

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What do you think of concrete slab's functionality? Is it useless or useful?

What do you want/expect from this project?

Anyway, here's today's progress:

refinery01_01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.61 KB
 Viewed:  14241 Time(s)

refinery01_01.png

Merophage
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this project. Good luck with it.

Has everyone kind of agreed that TSx2 is the "HD" resolution? Is there a hidden logic behind that?

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To state more clearly what I meant with concrete slab. It's current function is to prevent damage caused by ground. Is it necessary gameplay wise to have that evil ground to cause damage and concrete slabs to prevent it?

@Merophage: Thanks!

Currently I haven't seen any mods using higher than TSx2 tiles and Rewire is  the only another one using that tile scale. I think that making the scale go up by x2 makes it enough big to look enough good for monitors with FullHD resolution (1920x1080) and bigger would make them look too big (like C&C in MS-DOS scale) and that way causes to decrease the gameplay experience, but that's just my opinion.

refinery01_02.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.65 KB
 Viewed:  14183 Time(s)

refinery01_02.png

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

=======================

Merophage
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The massing looks great, I like the silhouette.

I don't mean to derail the topic, but my thinking is the standard resolution back in the day when RA2/YR was released was 1024x768, so 2x YR size is still less that what you would get if you simply divide today's standard of 1920x1080 by that. I worry that 2X TS might still be too small. The driving factor behind all of this being unit size, since you can't have units that are larger than 1x1 without overlapping issues. All of that is moot of course if OpenRA has some kind of zoom function that I'm not aware of.

I think that's an interesting discussion to have. It would be good to establish a kind of standard/guideline for people who want mod OpenRA and make "HD" mods.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Merophage wrote:
the standard resolution back in the day when RA2/YR was released was 1024x768

The YR menu got hardcoded to 800x600, so I'd say that was the intended resolution of the gen2 games.

Merophage wrote:
2x YR size is still less that what you would get if you simply divide today's standard of 1920x1080 by that.

Wouldn't call 1920x1080 the standard, because laptop gaming also gained ground and those usually don't have bigger screens than 1600x900.

Merophage wrote:
I worry that 2X TS might still be too small. The driving factor behind all of this being unit size, since you can't have units that are larger than 1x1 without overlapping issues.

This is actually a valid issue, albeit I'd say TS infantry is the size where it still is a borderline problem, and going above that will be fine. I carried over RA2 sizes to OpenRA (this includes infantry as well, not relying on the common "to-75(which would be TS size)/87% downscaling" and while I do play windowed mode in my 1920x1080 (previously 1680x1050) screen, it's moreso due to my playstyle and not because the sizes (I rely on edge scrolling and playing on fullscreen would mean a lot of mouse movement to scroll).

Merophage wrote:
All of that is moot of course if OpenRA has some kind of zoom function that I'm not aware of.

There's Pixel Doubling, which is literally a 2x zoom and quite handy at TD/RA IMO.

Merophage wrote:
establish a kind of standard/guideline for people who want mod OpenRA and make "HD" mods.

Doubt there should be a standard on sizes. OpenRA can use SHPs besides the old TMP format (where all of our tools are basically hacked for >RA2 cellsizes) for terrain and IMO that's what should be encouraged alone (since nothing from the TMP besides actual artwork is used). All of the TMP specific properties (ramptype, terrain, dimension, etc) are exported to the yaml even during gen2 terrain import. In SHP, each frame image is a cell image.

=======================

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon