Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am
All times are UTC + 0
keep chosen palette
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject:  keep chosen palette Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I open an SHP, then select the palette.
If i open another SHP, the palette changes for this new SHP back to the default unittem.pal.

When modding you usually keep working with the same palette, so it would be very convenient if i don't have to select the palette every single time i open an SHP.

It could imo even store the last used palette in an ini and load it by default next time i open shp builder.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Zaaz
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree, it's a task that's unnecessarily time-consuming.

I was also thinking about transforming the label displaying the palette filename in a combobox or a mini menu
from which you can select your palette. That would remove 1 or 2 clicks.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The program was designed to guess what kind of SHP file you are trying to edit and, consequently, the palette to use (according to the ones set in the Preferences). Maybe I could add a quick option (under Optons) to allow it to just use the previous SHP Type and Palette.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The "guessing" can't really work, as there are anim.pal, iso*.pal and unit*.pal very frequently used for SHPs and there is no way to tell only by looking at the SHP which palette this uses (nor the game of the SHP). So the "guessing" can be only wrong imo. And now with mods using their own palettes (with Ares even for single objects) this can't work anymore.
When the modding community was young and user usually only took the original files and changed them a bit, it might have worked, but not today.

Maybe you can even change it so it works like my TMPShop when looking for palettes.
This simply looks in the Palettes folder (if present) and adds for each Subfolder a submenu and palette files as menuitems accordingly to each submenu.
(e.g. i would remove RA1, RA2, YR folders and palettes since i never use them and instead rather see my folders TI and DTA)

I usually only mod TI and DTA, both have folders in the Palettes folder, but don't appear in the editor because it only has TD,TS,RA1,RA2,YR and User hardcoded.
And the single "User" folder isn't really useful when you have multiple mods.

Last edited by Lin Kuei Ominae on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then do it like I do, move all the TS-YR pals to RA1 or YR, put TI into RA2, and put DTA into TS. #Tongue

Because I'm overusing Ares's custompals a lot, I don't really have a subfolder within that palettes menu where only the originals are there. xD TD ended up being a buildingspal container, RA1 ended up Apollo's animpals, TS got the RA1 pals next to the default, and some variations of it's own anim.pal, RA2 has YR pals and variations of it's own anim.pal and YR ended up yet another bunch of Apollo's palettes.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That works, but i find that a rather confusing/inconvenient solution. I like it more "userfriendly" where i can adjust the program to my needs and not vice versa Smile

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't say it's the most logical solution neither but this is still more friendlier than how XCC Mixer's palettes are set up.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XCC Mixer is ok, since it can be easyly changed to suit my needs.
e.g. since i have no games "installed" (no registry crap) but only on the hdd, the mixer can't find any palettes. Thus i created a custom mix file with all palettes inside in submixes. In the settings i set the default TD path to this mix so Mixer can find it.

now i have all palettes in a nicely sorted way available in the Mixer.

The bottom infobar now also shows in a nice short way, which game and palette i'm using, because the submixes are named according to the name of the game.

mixerpals.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.32 KB
 Viewed:  5965 Time(s)

mixerpals.png

Public SHPs

Tools

Last edited by Lin Kuei Ominae on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't call remixing every time when I decide to use a new palette better at all.

=======================

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well yeah, if you use for every new SHP a custom palette, this system doesn't works well anymore. But having custom pals for every single SHP quite contradicts the whole logic behind using palettes in the first place (you know, saving space for the colors stored in each picture and instead use only a single palette to which all pictures refer to)

In cases like TI and DTA, the pals haven't changed for months/years and i only added 2 or 3 new ones which i use for conversion (palettes which have remap red replaced with a purple gradient, glowing colors removed etc)

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know, recently I started going with using a pack of SHPs sharing a palette then hue/brightness/colorshifting said palette, and with that, I can simply just use Image along with the old SHPs.

I would duplicate the pal first, that's smaller. #Tongue

=======================

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Revision 33 should include this feature, although I've only implemented it for the File -> Open. I admit I need to add it for File -> New and maybe cameo generator and few others. I'm not sure if I'll make it for cameo generator, import and other features.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The latest SVN version is only 3.37 Beta 16. Where can i get Beta 33? (assuming that "Revision 33" is the same as 3.37 Beta 33)
Also, using the latest SHP Builder, i randomly get the attached error message when i start it.
If i click "ok", the program starts just fine anyway. Next time i start the exe, the error is sometimes gone sometimes it appears again.

SHPBuilderError.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.76 KB
 Viewed:  5887 Time(s)

SHPBuilderError.png

Public SHPs

Tools

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Errr.. revision number and beta identification are different things.

Revision number is related to the number of committs done in the SVN.

The beta number is decided by me and it increases everytime there is a feature that will somehow affect the user in a considerable way.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got the latest version 338beta6
The palette is still always reset. Sad

-File->Open test.shp
-Palette->Load: SHPBuilder\Palettes\TI\isotem.pal
-next loaded SHP has TS isotem.pal again

Public SHPs

Tools

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you disabled Options -> Auto Select SHP Type?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

of course not Embarassed silly me
thanks, it works fine now. Smile

on a different note:
the pasted area is 1 pixel in width/height smaller than the copied one. Just constantly ctrl+c, ctrl+v and you see how the pasted area gets smaller on each copy/paste cycle.

another thing:
i'm using a laptop with only max 768 pixel height. SHP builder starts by default with exactly that height (or a little bigger) and thus parts are behind the taskbar.
So the first steps i always have to do is to make the window smaller and move the area behind the taskbar up.
Would be nice if SHP builder takes the "working space" (in c# Screen.WorkingArea) and not the "desktop space". Not sure if Delphi has these different areas as public constants available like .NET.

Public SHPs

Tools

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll see what I can do, although I must admit that SHP Builder's priority is low at the moment (I'm desperate with my thesis).

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't worry. There's no hurry. Both are no big issues.

Public SHPs

Tools

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AutoSelect SHP Type is off, yet it now resets the palette again. Confused

These are the steps i did, iirc
-opened file fonae07.tem (It's an SHP with .tem extension)
-loaded palette SHPBuilder\Palettes\TI\isotemConvert.pal
-created with Pal Editor new palette isotemConvert2.pal
-closed file fonae07.tem
-opened file fonae08.tem
-loaded palette SHPBuilder\Palettes\TI\isotemConvert2.pal
-did a few PNG imports from clipboard
-loaded palette SHPBuilder\Palettes\TI\isotemConvert.pal
-deleted isotemConvert2.pal
-opened file fonae02.tem and got message "isotemConvert2.pal couldn't be found"
-got that missing pal message now every time i opened an SHP

restarted SHP Builder
-now even with "AutoSelect SHP Type" off it always resets to default unittem.pal

I think it somehow got confused when i loaded and switched between different palettes and also removed one of them.

Public SHPs

Tools

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum