Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Warning: Upcoming CAPTCHA change for guest posting.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:  Warning: Upcoming CAPTCHA change for guest posting.
Subject description: It might not be possible to post as guest during this transition. We'll do this move slowly...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In order to change our current CAPTCHA into something a little bit more humanly confortable, we'll slowly tweak our forum software. First of all, we'll change the visual confirmation for guest posting and then, for registering accounts. During this transition, it won't be possible to post as guest... and later, to register.

At the moment, I'm just announcing this move and studying the code required to do it. Once implementation and testing starts, we'll update this topic. I hope that at least, by the next week, guest posting should be using Are you a Human, but I can't make any promises into that.

Sorry for any inconvenience and I hope that your experience in this forum improves in the future.

Note: if during this time, the site goes blank when you make a post, try to refresh your screen and re-send your post. It should work fine once I fix my code #Tongue.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys. In exact 10 minutes from this post. We'll start testing the first changes.

It should be on 14:43 BRT or 17:43 GMT.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, we are starting the tests now. Good luck for everyone #Tongue.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We are almost done with this captcha for guest posting. I just need to make the game display at the Topic page.

But everything else is working fine and guests may post already.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guest posting is fully working again and also, quick reply works for guests.

Now we shall wait 2 days and, if there is no bot guest post, we may advance to replace the registering captcha with this one as well.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Errr... I've changed my plans regarding the captcha for registering accounts.

I'll switch to the new one now, because the text in the old one should be messed up at this moment.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, it's done and it is fully working now.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to point out that, while it is easier to register in the forums now, with the new CAPTCHA system we are using, the amount of bots posting in the forum have increased.

So, I'll implement some kind of trap to slow down the bots, without using the old CAPTCHA system. I'm still thinking about it. Does anyone have any suggestions for it?

Zaaz
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How many people register a day? Mods could approve each new user or smth, if the number is low enough.

Frankly, the old system worked, but it was hard to decipher. Maybe just putting clearer intrustions, with an example, a quick way to refresh the capcha, and provide an email link (maybe to mods) to help people who cant get past it. They'd get their account within 24 hrs at least, which isn't intolerable. No?

*I don't remember, do you need email verification to register?

EDIT: nevermind that.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't you just add an additional logic question in the registration form? Even a simple math question could be enough to keep out the bots that are currently getting through.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I have previously pointed out, a simple semantic question requiring specialized knowledge regarding this forum's subject matter should do the trick.

Something as simple as "please write the 5 large letters in the forum header" could be enough. If you go for something like "What is the name of the prophet of the Brotherhood of Nod?", you should pretty much be set.

If it's a bot, it's coded to solve very particular kinds of machine-solvable problems. Give it something else, and it'll choke.
If it's a human (e.g. a rented Chinese), CAPTCHAs in general will fail. You can only hope that the subject matter of the security question is alien enough to him that the target is not worthwhile.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I'll just add a stupid question asking the abbreviation of the name of this place. (Answer: PPM).

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually don't think everyone will know how to answer that question. It might be better to just ask for the name of the site and accepting both "PPM" and "Project Perfect Mod" as an answer.

Or you could do something more general like "Type the number 5 in letters".

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"the number five"

Why isn't it working?!? Wink

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It could of course be formulated differently, like "Type the following number in letters: 5".

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The far superior solution would be redirecting those giving a stupid answer to a different forum. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!