Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:26 am
All times are UTC + 0
C&C Online: The Replacement for GameSpy!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject:  C&C Online: The Replacement for GameSpy!
Subject description: Generals, ZH, Tiberium Wars, KW and Red Alert 3 online gaming lives in death!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ladies and gentlemen, as you know, the official online multiplayer support for Command & Conquer Generals, Zero Hour, Tiberium Wars, Kane's Wrath and Red Alert 3 provided by GameSpy will end by June 30th. We've got together with the guys from Revora, GameReplays and other C&C community sites to solve this problem for once for all.

The service is called C&C Online and it should emulate GameSpy in the same server that host this site and many others. Here's the official announcement:

Quote:

Hello everyone! We are proud to present to you C&C:Online, the community-driven GameSpy replacement!
Below you will find all the information we currently have to share.

WHAT IS C&C:ONLINE?

C&C:Online is a GameSpy emulating server for modern Command & Conquer, created and hosted by Revora.

It's based on our T3A:Online project for BFME, adapted to work for all the Command & Conquer games affected by the GameSpy closure (Generals, Zero Hour, C&C 3, Kane's Wrath, Red Alert 3).

GameReplays.org will be working with Revora in managing, developing and promoting the new online service.

C&C:Online lets you use the game's native online interface, exactly like you are used to now (no LAN). It works by using a simple launcher that redirects traffic to our server. In order to participate in the new service, you will need to download the C&C:Online launcher for your game(s), and create an account at Revora. Your Revora account name is then synchronised to be your new "EA" account name. Don't worry, you will still be able to choose different nicknames.

While we cannot realistically expect everybody that is currently using the official online service to move to C&C:Online with us, we hope that our service can convince a sizeable number of users. We have every reason to look forward to a bright future for our games and communities.

C&C:Online is supported by:

WHEN WILL IT BE RELEASED?

Very soon. Make sure to keep an eye on the C&C:Online Facebook page.
Once it is released, we will post links to the new C&C:Online website, from which you will be able to download the C&C:Online clients, as well as find installation instructions and links to support and community forums at Revora.

HOW MUCH IS DONE?

We are confident that we can release C&C:Online for all five affected C&C titles (Generals, Zero Hour, C&C 3, Kane's Wrath, and Red Alert 3) simultaneously, in time for the GameSpy shutdown.

The first release will contain the following features for all titles:

- Playing games
- Hosting and joining games
- Chat functions
- Buddy systems

The server is still under heavy development at the moment in order to make it by June 30th. The basics (login, chat, buddy system) for all games are working, but the listing of Generals and Zero Hour games in the lobby is still somewhat problematic. We're doing our best not to let you guys down!

WHAT WILL BE DONE LATER?

After the initial release, we will continue development to add more features.
We will be working on:

- Statistics
- Ranking
- Automatch systems

Together with GameReplays we are looking into a method to verify users that want to keep their old nicknames (to prevent impersonation), and to link these to existing statistics and rankings.

WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?

We need this news to be spread as far across the global C&C community as possible, so help us spread the word!

We could also really use some donations! Revora is a non-profit association, and so all proceeds go towards server costs and improving our infrastructure.

In the same vein, if you happen to own a VPS hosting company and have a spare server, we would really appreciate the support. We will host C&C:Online on Revora's dedicated server for now, but with so many players this is probably not a viable long-term solution.

As soon as this project goes live, we will provide additional support for it here, information about it and more. Revora already supports other GameSpy multiplayer games such as Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 at T3A:Online, an initiative that PPM also supports.

Last edited by Banshee on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 5 times in total

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

God damn it! I don't know why are these images looking so awful in the main site. I have no idea how to fix it.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the main site's theme is applying the a white background to the images; you should be able to fix it by editing the CSS.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, but I can't find out what, in the css file, is doing that. I'm trying to inspect the image with a lot of browsers and none of them are showing me anything useful.

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damnit, I was just about to post that #Tongue I the page to my desktop and then suddenly noticed that the images that were saved weren't transparent, even though the ones I saved directly from this topic earlier were.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I see. I'll fix it soon. Thanks. Smile

Edit: Fixed.

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Objective 1 - Completed!

Objective 2 - Keep the base network online and functioning until new game mods arrives. Do not fail me, Commander.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shouldn't CnCNet have some affiliation with C&C:Online? Both are doing essentially the same thing for different C&C titles.

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shouldn't by that logic CnCNet have some affiliation with XWIS? Both are doing essentially the same thing for the same titles.
Well they don't, case closed.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The relationship (or lack thereof) of XWIS and CNCNet is hardly the same as both have been around for a good while (and there's probably more to it), whereas C&C:Online has just been announced. Hence if XWIS and CNCNet wanted to come together they would have done it already. And what's with the attitude against cooperation? No wonder the C&C community feels vague at best when there's no association between different parties.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course cooperation would be better IMO. They shouldn't be the same community but definitely they should be 'trading players'. I'm sure people who play pre-Generals titles would be interested in playing post-Gen titles in a nice tight-knit community and vice versa. Both of those communities can link into the modding community too, like the holy trinity of C&C. #Tongue

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CnCNet links rather heavily to the modding community, not only openly supporting mods (DTA, TI, MO, C&C Reloaded) but also asking modders for bugfixes to WW games (C&C95, RA1 and TS).

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
And what's with the attitude against cooperation?

It's not about anything against cooperation, it's about this "this looks similar, why is there no partnership" as if it's an requirement. I'm not saying anything against cooperation, but demanding from two parties with unrelated goals while two other parties with the same goal don't have it is useless, imo.

Also it's not like I don't want people to work together. I already voiced my thoughts about calling "C&C Online" a community project while it's excluding most of the community (at the thread in the official forums).

Plokite_Wolf
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CnCNet and XWIS do not quite do the same.

XWIS emulates the WOL server in a somewhat stripped-down version, but was (or still is?) sponsored by EA.

CnCNet emulates LAN. Its coders specialize in the classics, but I think most of them haven't played anything that was released after Westwood's closure.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldnt say CNCNet5 emulates LAN. It adds more multiplayer features than even XWIS has to all the games it supports.

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CnCnet 4 uses the LAN interface to provide internet play. CnCnet 5 is pretty much equivalent to Westwood Chat. External chat + multiplayer client. It also patches in the spawner system used by Wchat for C&C1 and RA1

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As previously said CnCNet 5 doesn't emulate LAN.

As for partnerships CnCNet is always open to help anyone.

Plokite_Wolf
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The account takeover time has come! To claim a multiplayer account as yours, register on the Revora forums if you haven't already and make a thread in the new Fair Play and Member Management section. Here is a guide on how your application should look like. It might take time to verify your account as more people apply.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!