Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am
All times are UTC + 0
My first attempt at 3d Modelling
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject:  My first attempt at 3d Modelling
Subject description: I suck tho :P
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FOR NVH:So NVH, you said that you do the 3d modelling stuff so you couldn't do the voxeling thing. Now, I tried my hand at 3d modelling, and I'm fully aware of the fact that this model is absolute shit, however, you now have absolutely no reason for you not to try voxeling. It's all yours Very Happy.

FOR EVERYONE ELSE: Do you think this is okay? what do you think needs to be changed/added/removed?

Last edited by gistop on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Updated title, it's more fitting I guess...

BySc
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good Work Gistop.

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, but I still think that it needs a lot of work.

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually this is really good man, keep it up!

3ds Topic
Clicky

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really? People think this is good? I didn't think I would get this good of a response from my first ever 3D model... As for software if anyone is wondering, it's Maya LT (I'm using Student Edition btw)

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not bad, can you give a different view?

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nikademis, did you read what I wrote for you?

And On Topic: Yeah, but I live at 2 separate houses, and one of them has a crappy computer (The one that I'm at currently at) and the other has a beast of a computer... I'll post some more views on Saturday.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That ain't bad. Some people here can't even model a single box.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's indeed a good start.
Though i have some suggestions.

a) you seem to align/place the models by free hand, meaning some sides are not mirror perfect but made a bit different (e.g. the base trapezoids have different distances to the center point). Maya surely has like 3dsmax some powerful mirroring/duplicating tools. Those make sure that they all look the same.
b) avoid simple primitives as cones, cylinder and boxes. Those stick out too much. You can use them as base but then should go into polygon editing and change the polygon to have more detail (e.g. chamfer edges of boxes, extrude/intrude parts etc)
c) i don't know about maya, but 3dsmax has many more complex default models like dampers, railings, ladders etc which you could use. (e.g. use a standard damper instead of the box on the base) Using these instantly raises the detail level without any effort.
d) the barrel seems to have a few "broken" pieces with bad looking ends. Like point a), first create a good barrel, then use the mirror and duplicate tools to create several of them in a perfect circle alignment. 3dsmax has the option to create instances and if maya has it too, you should use this when creating copies/duplicates. This way changes on one of the models also changes all other models that are instanced copies of it.

However for a SHP even the current model could work already if it's textured. The small ingame SHP size hides many of the detail-flaws of the 3d-model.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would personally like to suggest you learn Blender too.

3ds Topic
Clicky

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would recommend at least getting 3DS max to render models you make as Maya doesn't have the options to render without AA against a background, despite having a better rendering system.

Everything LKO said + you should enable the grid and snaps to help. Also, I would recommend learning the autosmooth alot or just not using it as it tends to massacre models pretty easily.

Unsure if you're learning this in a school environment or not, but from what I can tell on the barrel of it, avoid triangles (3 point polys) at all cost, as they easily screw up normals and are generally frowned upon by modelers.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the base. See if you can get some textures on it. Whatever you do, do continue, as I like what I'm seeing here Smile

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
I would recommend at least getting 3DS max to render models you make as Maya doesn't have the options to render without AA against a background, despite having a better rendering system.

Or Blender : http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36965  Wink

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

or NOT blender... I personally use Maya LT because the interface is easy as hell, and I hate blender (sorry!). I also dislike 3dsmax because interface is confusing and I'm too lazy to learn it D:

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3DS Max is almost like the Photoshop of 3D Programs though so its definitely worth a try to learn there.

Blender?... eh idk it kinda feels like the Gimp equivalent for me with how its window isn't locked in place. and weird hotkeying...

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And Maya LT is the Paint.net of 3d modelling... also known as easy as hell #Tongue

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well while you like Maya, my point still stands that there isn't a proper way to render for TS/RA2 for it, which is why you'll still need to learn 3DSmax or Blender if you want to make SHPs.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have some warped normals because you are trying to let there be normals smoothing when the triangles are joined at extreme angles. There is a way in 3dsmax to automatically break that smoothing in such cases. However that causes sharp unnatural looking edges to appear which look unnatural because light never glints along those edges. Most of your edges already look like that.

Unfortunately my website died so I can't show you what I'm talking about.

By the way, because of the way the barrel appears connected to the turret, it looks like the barrel should not be able to pitch.

I don't understand what 4StarGeneral is talking about with the triangles because I thought everything would ultimately become triangles anyway.

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They do, regardless of how you make it, everything is triangles.

Also, I don't know why you would need to use 3dsmax for rendering purposes. afaik MAYA LT doesn't use Mental Ray, and the one that it does use doesn't use anti-aliasing... Also, I can adjust the camera so that it renders orthographically, and I can also add a light in the right position, so idk what you're talking about...

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another shitty thing:

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OOTopic: watched all of your pics on HMA, imgur blocked by Indonesia Goverment

InTopic: nice one the first one, but like a crap for the last one Sad

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

last one was done in 3dsmax and I suck at 3dsmax so....

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Define 'suck'. What is sucky about it?

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

he said "he sucked at using it" not that 3dmax sucked, lol

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@gistop: I wouldn't say that you suck at it, you just don't have enough practice. Tutorials are your best friends with 3d modelling. Smile

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gistop, on your second picture, you need to render that with ambient occlusion or with lots of shadows because otherwise it looks extremely confusing.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the first one has some potential

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon