Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm
All times are UTC + 0
OpenRA Blog
Moderators: Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 4 [178 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy_Master wrote:
I wonder how flexible of this feature you design.
- Can I change the look of building after upgrade?
- Did it allow me to upgrade for multiply level [upgrade level 1-2-3]?
- Did it also apply to use by unit?
- Can I make player choose only 1 upgrade from many different kind of upgrade on the list?

This.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This type of upgrade is NOT like in TS. You don't place it on your building, it's more like StarCraft. You build it, it complete's, you get the global effect permanently. I don't know if TS style upgrades are in already but I imagine they will be at some point for their TS mod.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When come to upgrade or general system i prefer research tree like Supcom2 than other game. :p

since it very flexible IMO.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope you will be able to sell upgrades on a building too.
This was originally planned for TS but for some reason was scrapped for release.

Would allow you to switch and change component tower functionality on the fly for instance.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We've made some big leaps forward on TS (and RA2) terrain/art support over the last couple of weeks.
I have recently rewritten the way we handle tileset-specific actor art, and have PRs open for terrain variants, and fixing the input issue that stops units from going where you tell them to on maps with cliffs/slopes.

Here's a screenshot of our new (old) TS snow tileset:

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it weren't for the money being shown on the Harvester, I couldn't say if this was OpenRA or TS at a first look.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OpenRA's voxel rendering still amazes me, even when it's not the star of the show.

All this development is gorgeous.

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Omg, Im looking foward to mod in this new engine, please keep up the good.work.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yiss!  Smile

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The next set of upgrades are cooking:

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, how many variations of ground tiles are there in these games to prevent the appearance of a repetitive tiled ground?

This project is tremendously exciting and a dream come true for many people, I'm quite sure.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to enable a WaterPaletteRotation for ts tileset?

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

too bad Tiberium now doesn't seem to cause green light around it. but like everyone can't wait to play it.  Very Happy

Disruptor beam effect is something i really want to see.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If they wanted to, they could do lighting better than the official game did it. It looked quite blocky when the official game did it because the light amount was per tile, while here it could be per pixel or at least per tile which is then interpolated.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Technically I did get around to programming a sonic beam effect, or at least how to draw it since I couldn't figure out how to do ambient damage properly. It would need to be modified if you wanted YR-style magnetic beams with the reverse draw, but it could work for sonic beams. I may push my code to my repository later if anyone wants to take a look at it; it's a pretty simple modification of the laser code though.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Darkstorm wrote:
Technically I did get around to programming a sonic beam effect, or at least how to draw it since I couldn't figure out how to do ambient damage properly. It would need to be modified if you wanted YR-style magnetic beams with the reverse draw, but it could work for sonic beams. I may push my code to my repository later if anyone wants to take a look at it; it's a pretty simple modification of the laser code though.

I certainly want to, and I guess a few others as well Smile

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We now have a prototype (which will need some performance refinements before merging) for working TS-style shroud.  This gives us a half-respectable looking TS mod Smile

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the progress you're doing! Smile

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aye, awesome job there.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@pchote, Do you guys also support alphaimages now given shroud?

As believe it or not but the shroud is an alphaimage thus why it darkens the terrain area to solid blacks and reversed does opposite.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good work that. Can it supported multiframed shp for animating/facing?

I think you guys could consider implement alpha channels same way to control what is opaque and what isn't in an artwork. 0=transparent fully, 255=opaque. 127=background (if need? frankly 0  would do too)

Since you can make 8 bit png with alpha channels, this would allow to do transparent 'glows' via alpha channel.

I realise OpenRA has alpha blending for effects but not sure it can be used any other way.

Once you can utilize both types of alpha layers ( WW & AC) you could surely make amazing buildings and else.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That should work. I don't see technical problems. We just need to create appropriate render traits that adapt to the unit orientation similar to muzzle flashes.

Just did some quick experiments to test our new OpenGL blend modes to see what is possible. Vehicle/Building lights came to our mind:

and we did some tests with larger SHPs (courtesy of the Rewire project) for cloud effects:

which ran fine with no noticeable impact on rendering performance.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Everything looks brilliant.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would it be possible to generate clouds similar to shroud, to cover the whole map without using large but fixed-sized SHP/PNG? Also, they won't really resemble clouds unless they are constantly moving, appearing and dissipating.

Dasfonia
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well what can always be done is once the engine receives more graphical features such as lighting, they could always implement some sort of shader system to actually have real clouds and not workarounds with SHPs.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After a couple of months ironing out kinks we have finally merged the heightmap-shroud support that I showed off above.

Here's some clips from a 2v2 match we played while testing this:

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn, that looks a lot nicer than you described in the PR. Very Happy

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking good! Is there any ETA on the TS mod? Or is it to soon to say.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thx

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is another (albeit not as action-packed) showing of proper shroud:

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trees casting shadows on infantry!

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phrohdoh wrote:
Here is another (albeit not as action-packed) showing of proper shroud:
IMAGE.gif

About time. This should have been done long ago. RA1 has a triger to do this. It was used for It came from ra! 4: exterminate! and Let's Make a Steal that are indoor maps and it acted like lights

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also we introduced support for lighting effects which will be featured in the next release:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ai-MeYDx5c&ab_channel=OpenRA[/youtube]

and overlays for snow and rain etc. are work in progress:

which play quite nicely together.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it appears infantry doesn't use the few frames they have for transitioning between upright stance and prone, and vice versa. Rather, the transition seems instant.

Other than that detail, amazing progress as usual. I especially like the weather effects.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Allen, what exactly should have been done long ago?

@Crimsonum, correct. It is being researched currently.

Last edited by Phrohdoh on Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love you guys.

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow just wow, good job Smile

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I've started building a prototype original game on ORA. There is plenty left to be decided about the mod itself, but the things I have so far:

1) Set in space, on space platforms and asteroids etc. Much inspired by my lunar terrain expansion and also of course StarCraft.

2) One faction that can adapt to new technologies. Everyone plays the same "faction" (a random space mining corporation) but gets to choose their technology ingame, while sharing a generic set of units that can also be adapted through upgrades.

3) Map control. I hate the campiness C&C gameplay can bring so I want to force players onto the battlefield. So far I'm thinking of doing it in two ways:
a) In order to advance tiers you need to build an extractor on a natural gas point on the map. These will mostly be in central positions of control, so get out there and grab 'em.
b) Finite economy. The minerals will run out however you can build mining drills on 'spigots' in the ground that will then start pumping out more minerals to collect. These spigots will only exist outside the starting position and therefore as the game goes on, fighting over resources should increase.

4) Three unit types and factories:
a) Light units - infantry and also small buggies, scouts and vehicle transports. Infantry can exclusively move across ROCK terrain.
b) Heavy units - tanks. Treaded (probably all heavy units) or hover vehicles can exclusively move across ICE terrain.
c) Spacecraft - jumpjet aircraft basically that can move wherever the hell they want.

5) Cool tech tree. I want to try make an interesting, dynamic, tech tree full of multiple options at any point with upgrades that can change the use of units, and technology choices that are irreversible. For instance one idea I have at the moment is an upgrade for the barracks that allows it to build light units such as buggies and scout vehicles.

6) Supply cap. ORA doesn't have a specific supply logic however units can also use POWER. So I'm going to reinterpret the power logic as a soft supply cap... you can go over but of course your production slows down to a grind and perhaps buildings will also go offline too, depending on how I do it. Of course it also means both buildings and units require supply, and IMO that is a really cool element of this. You'll need to balance between base building and how many units you want on the battlefield, and in mod all about map control that should prove rather interesting.

The overall gameplay will probably be heavy on infantry and light units, as unlike TS and RA2 five units will be able to occupy each cell. Tanks will be slow, heavy, expensive, powerful units. I could add neutral walls on maps that block line of fire.

The first thing I did was begin to set up the terrain, which is nice and easy.

As you can see, you can define terrain types as you like. You define each tile as a template here, which does mean a lot of code but also a lot of customisability. One cool thing is the game can use SHPs as terrain too.

Trying out some more interesting building foundations. As you might be able to see, the refinery actually as an X path through it that miners can use and they dump minerals in the middle. This of course gets rid of the imbalance fixed facing refineries had in C&C.

Random image of some infantry using placeholder RA2 art. #Tongue The tiles are 120x60.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

those tile is really huge...

for map control thingy while I think this function might not be problem for ORA dev to make but bigger problem should be how to write AI to play follow your rules this's same reason why I still design my mod base on classic C&C mechanic while truly I'm more like to use same function to Generals or at least Ra 3.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to say the idea has some nice points/concepts Omega.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy_Master wrote:
those tile is really huge...

I think it feels pretty good ingame, but this is something that can be worked out when playtesting starts. It allows a nice scale difference between infantry and vehicles.

Quote:
for map control thingy while I think this function might not be problem for ORA dev to make but bigger problem should be how to write AI to play follow your rules this's same reason why I still design my mod base on classic C&C mechanic while truly I'm more like to use same function to Generals or at least Ra 3.

Currently I'm only using features already in ORA, not gonna rely on anyone coding anything extra for me. I'm also never going to limit it for AI. RTS is most fun when played with other people so that's entirely what I'm going for.

A clever AI that properly expands and so on should totally be thought about way down the line, if this project goes anywhere and proves fun to play. Limiting myself at this point to what the dumbass AI can do is just stupidity IMO.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah but also all your game play test will need to rely with other people which IMO it's not flexible for development [at least for me].

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can't rely on AI to do real gameplay tests in C&C mods either. People don't usually just stick to one base and spam units like crazy (and if they do that's a problem with the mod design IMO #Tongue). The AI of C&C was never able to do the same stuff as a player.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can do a lot of basic gameplay tests with the AI. For balance testing and such fine-tuning you need other humans.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We now have support for very configurable weather particle effects:

in the latest development version thanks to a BSc. gamedev student final assignment. It will ship with the next but one stable release.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this feature. Does it cause any impact on performance?

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm really liking these weather effects.

Oh and btw, I published the code I had for sonic beams. I totally forgot about it and with life issues I kind of stepped away from development. Anyhow, it's incomplete missing ambient damage but it renders properly to the best of my knowledge. I haven't tested it since I last worked on it. I guess I'll send reaperr a pm about it since he's the one that wanted to look at it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 4 [178 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum