Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:41 am
All times are UTC + 0
Messing around with C&C archetypes (engineer and agent)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject:  Messing around with C&C archetypes (engineer and agent)
Subject description: Not so much about .ini monkeying
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I have a concept kicking around, but I'm running into some (realism) plotholes with two of our beloved C&C (RA) units, the engineer and the spy.

So say the whole world gets nuked back into the stone age. And group A and group B loses all technological knowledge, and group X keeps all technological knowledge.
An engineer or spy from group A or B won't be able to make sense of group X's technology, and an engineer or spy from group X doesn't even bother with the technology of group A or B.

"Gee, what's the use of a nu-klee-aar boo-mb? It looks way too heavy to use as a club..."
"...oh, they know how to make flintlock firearms. Our cyborg forces will surely become veterans thanks to this knowledge."

I like engineers, I like spies. But I also like (a bit of) realism. And I want to keep things balanced - somewhat.

I have a few ideas in my head, but I want to get some outsider ideas on things before I start ripping the heart out of ancient C&C traditions like I'm an EA executive.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how do you lose the knowledge? why allow one to keep? that would start one side with extreme advantage

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

WoRmINaToR
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He's talking in the context of lore. Obviously the gameplay would be balanced somehow, but that's up to his mod.

On Topic, I can't imagine anything like this being possible without additional Ares logic being coded in, unless you used negative damage weapons on the engineers with an array of custom armor types. Suicide=yes might, in theory, allow you to maintain the logic that the engineer is consumed in the process. It could also screw it up even worse #Tongue

As for the spies, I'm not current with all the snazzy new spy logic available, but I don't believe there's anything that restricts entry by unit type or owner. Someone with a little more spy logic knowledge could come by and correct me on that, though.

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In terms of engineers, I can just make (faction) buildings uncapturable, so engineers are only used for bridge repairs and tech buildings.
Maybe use funky Ares stuff to make some kind of structure hacker that uses "mindcontrol".

As for the spies... The only problem really is the infiltration of tech centers, since that actually grants technology. That can be solved by just being creative with units that are stolen technology.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon