Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 pm
All times are UTC + 0
3-D Modelling Practice
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:  3-D Modelling Practice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So uh... I finally learned how to 3-D Modelling.

This is the first human model, no texture, it is just for practicing.

Now that I have to come with things in my mind, would it be worth putting extra details on the hands and feets? (such as giving it 5 fingers and 5 toes, which probably won't be seen in-game since it is super tiny)

Also what kind of lighting should I be using to render infantry to SHP?

Another question, how do I make certain things remappable in 3-D model so that the SHP can read it and convert it to remappable as well too?

FirstModel.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.4 KB
 Viewed:  2698 Time(s)

FirstModel.png

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regarding remap: it's part of the default texture. You grab a color gradient you certain won't use (by default red, tho IMO green or pink is better, and custompalettes are your friend) and make sure that gradient will be at color 17-32 after imported to SHP.

Because colors 17-32 will get remapped.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not bad for a first attempt. though you should work on the proportions. (legs look short and the finger too long)
DaVinci's Vitruvian man put on a plane behind the model as a reference can help.

The detail is indeed enough for the tiny SHP result. Just add some cloth details so you don't have a nude girl running around (except that's what you want Smile )

Remap: i suggest using pink/purple like GD mentioned (green is still quite often used on chemical/tiberium textures). take the original unittem.pal, then open it with OS PAL Editor and change the red remap gradient into a pink/purple gradient.
Then take in 3ds max a material and use a pink/purple texture. e.g. a simple Noise map with pink/purple colors.
Then texture the model, put the remap material where you want.

Then use one of the available camera/light setups (like this) so you can render the model in the right perspective and lighting.

Animate the model (using bones and skin modifier) and render the frames.

Finally convert the frames into SHP using SHP Builder and your custom palette.

You can also take a look in the tutorial: how to create SHP units with 3dsmax

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not bad for a 1st model, and one thing I do see is that model seems very dense in polys.
I am not sure if its just meshsmooth type of modifier applied to it, but you'd want to keep your polycounts low or just to what you need. Pre-render stuff can slide but really its a good habit of practice to get into, especially later on once you start up the rigging process and UV mapping. It will save for some headaches later Wink  

agreeing LKO said and draw up model sheets front view, back, side views, and import them into planes to use as reference and build your model there.
Basically subdivision modeling, adding in edges to get the curves you need for bending and the like.

I would add, It is best to plan it out before you start modeling, and how it will be rigged up, etc.  Only then using the necessary amount of polys to convey the basic shape.

As for hands and feet, only if it is worth the effort. Although often used as staple challenge for practicing of course. Making a convincing realistic human that doesn't fall into too deeply into uncanny valley is a major milestone of 3d modeling. Not too different than an artist trying to capture a realistic scene or portrait.

Although for common modeling, you can take short cuts or stylize proportions. Since flat mitten like hands can be hidden with hand textures painted on them..

For RA2 infantry though, if you haven't seen the Official WW infantry thread may check that also. They are just modeled out parts or sections, not unlike Ball-jointed dolls or action figures. Very low poly, but worked out for them.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is blender.

Hecthor Doomhammer
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

boobs need to be bigger :p

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks.

More progress on making this infantry, which is WIP Archangel for Japan.

Archangel.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.25 KB
 Viewed:  2489 Time(s)

Archangel.png

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

your scale seems to be off. measure your forearm, bicep, head, neck to waist, etc and work some kind of scale from there because from what I see the arms could be way to long.... but then again it could be the angle your image is taken from

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also IMO too much detail is wasted as well as it bloats up the poly's. Look at the Models tomson found that WW used. Some don't even have much in terms of texturing and the limbs have no digits at all. Try to go for details that would be easy to notice and seen easily. (I.E: The Conscript's Bandolier, GI's Body Armor,etc.)

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol, looks vaguely similar to something I never finished.

Poly count doesn't really matter for making these infantry, and any really small details do go to waste, but I would suggest tuning down the divisions of the arms and legs though as arms really only need to be about 1/100th as many polys as you have now, but all that would be for naught if you don't know how to rig it, which I would suggest learning how to do before you go too far as weights and bones are an annoyingly long process.

It is a nice start though, you should definitely read more into body proportions as the torso and chest is pretty strange. I'd provide some tutorials but of course the best course of action is to just keep practicing and to use a plane with a body image behind the model until it starts becoming 2nd nature to make a human body, you already seem to have a nice start on that as the scaling for the arms and legs aren't too far off. It's pretty hard to model organics in stuff like blender or max, so that's understandable too. I use ZBrush for any and all organics myself, so I can't really offer any advice to modeling in blender aside from trying to keep it simple as the more polys you have, the easier it is for it all to go wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon