Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am
All times are UTC + 0
I can make an installer for TSR
Moderators: SMIFFGIG
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 2 [64 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
SeaMan
Man of the Sea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Owen wrote:

WRONG!
It's fully Win32PE (Windows 23Bit Portable Exectutable)
Fully independant of thw Windows Installer System.
Just because it's in Wizard style doesn't mean it's Windows Installer Mad

It has same UI and graphics as MSI.
AFAIK it is possible to create an EXE from MSI script.

Sure, most of GUI based installers usually are wizard style. Choose a directory to install, choose other options and then let setup copy the files to HD. It doesn't have any relation to a specific program.

I didn't mean to offend you BTW.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think he meant 32 bit... but in my honest opinion, it's just like a windows installer, it doesnt change much. I still think that mods deserves a special treatment as they are not like other programs... actually, mod is not a program Wink...

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Maybe I don't have 22mb disk space to waste?"

1. Hard drives need about 100MB free for Windows Virtual Memory and games doing stuff on the HD. (100MB's is bigger than 22MB)
2. the thing will b downloaded to the harddrive and then applyed any way.(saved in windows temp and then applyed)
3. HELLO u select the file and delete it after use. (using a normal installer with contence, thus no space is wasted.)

In summary you have no point. So i ask again whats the point of an installer without contence. (plz give a decent reply this time)

"Win32PE"
So that means its a normal EXE like every other program? (** Wonders what the point of fancy terms are **)

Questions:
1. Why can't it detect the loaction of TS from the registary?(im guessing it can't)
2. Can it detect mod files that are already installed to ts?
3. Can it back up installed mods?

If not, ZIP's are better.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

I agree

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stucuk wrote:
"Maybe I don't have 22mb disk space to waste?"

1. Hard drives need about 100MB free for Windows Virtual Memory and games doing stuff on the HD. (100MB's is bigger than 22MB)
2. the thing will b downloaded to the harddrive and then applyed any way.(saved in windows temp and then applyed)
3. HELLO u select the file and delete it after use. (using a normal installer with contence, thus no space is wasted.)

In summary you have no point. So i ask again whats the point of an installer without contence. (plz give a decent reply this time)

I didn't mean on MY PC - I meant on my webspace Wink
stucuk wrote:

"Win32PE"
So that means its a normal EXE like every other program? (** Wonders what the point of fancy terms are **)

Yes, I just like fancy terms Wink

/me starts boasting about being a Geek Very Happy
Quote:

Questions:
1. Why can't it detect the loaction of TS from the registary?(im guessing it can't)

It can - I just need to program this Wink
And then look at how to code it
Quote:

2. Can it detect mod files that are already installed to ts?

Yes, and deletes them from the TSR copy
Quote:

3. Can it back up installed mods?

As it isn't removing them from TS, only from TSR, there is no point in this
Quote:

I disagree - I prefer an installer. Knows where to save stuff ect....

Expecialy for Software, not so much for Mods

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SeaMan wrote:
Owen wrote:

WRONG!
It's fully Win32PE (Windows 23Bit Portable Exectutable)
Fully independant of thw Windows Installer System.
Just because it's in Wizard style doesn't mean it's Windows Installer Mad

It has same UI and graphics as MSI.
AFAIK it is possible to create an EXE from MSI script.

Sure, most of GUI based installers usually are wizard style. Choose a directory to install, choose other options and then let setup copy the files to HD. It doesn't have any relation to a specific program.

I didn't mean to offend you BTW.

You didn't offend me

And you can't make an EXE from an MSI script - You can wrap the MSI in an EXE file which checks for Windows Installer... Ect but you can't make the MSI script into an EXE - Only an MSI

I thought you meanr I was using the Windows installer

(BTW: When I use Mad , I tend to mean i'm annoyed, not offended Smile)

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I for one prefer a zip as well. I don't trust installers/uninstallers for 100%.. i mean i once almost lost my entire TSTW (when it was in early stages though) because installed another mod..it just overwrote my files. So i prefer a zip, as i control it myself.

... but SOME people really don't seem to have enough windows explorer knowledge or whatever to properly use zips.

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"It can - I just need to program this
And then look at how to code it "

No it can't. You admited you never programmed it to. (getting reg enterys is simple)

"Yes, and deletes them from the TSR copy "

I asked if it could detect installed mods on TS and remove them, what has removing mods from TSR (which isn't a game but a mod) got to dow ith anything?

"I disagree - I prefer an installer. Knows where to save stuff ect....

Expecialy for Software, not so much for Mods"

We arn't talking about software, we are on about a mod, installers suck for mods. Installers are a pain cos they leave crap in registary, meaning you have to use a stupid installer each time you want to play it after another mod, or you do what i do which is to extract it to a blank dir zip the files n apply manualy.

Having to go through more than 1 dialog to play a mod is crazy. Its like saying, "each time you play our wonderful game, you have to install it!!! won't we b crowned geniouses for that one"

fxsx24
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, Smifgig has NO way of converting so SE2K format.... It would wreck TSR[/quote]

how? ive seen mods that have the ts/fs select screen modified and other stuff in a mod in s2kmm format

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why would he want to RESTRICT the amount of ppl that could use the mod? makign it in a stupid format that means you have to use the application means that TSR would only b able to get to like 1% odd ppl compaired to using the normal format ans a zip/exe.

Forcing ppl ot downlaod some stupid program is bad when creatign mods, freedom is the key.

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stucuk wrote:

No it can't. You admited you never programmed it to. (getting reg enterys is simple)

Theres one problem - The only reg key I have so far found has sun.exe on the end
Quote:

I asked if it could detect installed mods on TS and remove them, what has removing mods from TSR (which isn't a game but a mod) got to dow ith anything?

No - It copies the Tiberian Sun folder and then it installs to the new copy - From which the mods are removed Smile
Quote:

We arn't talking about software, we are on about a mod, installers suck for mods. Installers are a pain cos they leave crap in registary, meaning you have to use a stupid installer each time you want to play it after another mod, or you do what i do which is to extract it to a blank dir zip the files n apply manualy.

Having to go through more than 1 dialog to play a mod is crazy. Its like saying, "each time you play our wonderful game, you have to install it!!! won't we b crowned geniouses for that one"

Read the above - It's an install once, play infinate times with no re-installs.

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Owen wrote:
stucuk wrote:

Theres one problem - The only reg key I have so far found has sun.exe on the end

Its simple, code below from Stu's Mod Manager 4 and Stusworld Mod Launcher(in delphi):

Code:

function TFrmMain.GetTSDir : string;
var regist:
TRegistry;
begin
regist:=TRegistry.Create;
regist.rootkey:=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE;
regist.openkey('SOFTWARE\Westwood\Tiberian Sun',true);

if fileexists(regist.readstring('InstallPath')) then
result:=copy(regist.readstring('InstallPath'),1,length(regist.readstring('InstallPath'))-length('SUN.EXE'))
else
result := '!!ERROR!!';
regist.free;
end;

Owen wrote:

Quote:

No - It copies the Tiberian Sun folder and then it installs to the new copy - From which the mods are removed Smile
Quote:

Read the above - It's an install once, play infinate times with no re-installs.

Why would anyone want 2 copys of TS wasting Harddrive space when you could download a mod manager or do it manualy?

Owen
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good question - Thats just the way I do it Very Happy

(I have a copy for each mod without an activator/deactiivator)

And I can't implement that code:

A: This is an installer, which isn't made from a programming language
B: The installer is written in C++
C: I don't have Delphi, and don't belive in Warze

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's called warez. Razz And yeah, it is illegal.

Not everybody has extra hard disk space for multiple copies of games. Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon