Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am
All times are UTC + 0
Unofficial Red Alert 2 mod (image heavy)
Moderators: Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [131 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fair enough, you are right, my assumptions were faulty and I apologise.

I have to ask then, why do some people seem to be pushing for modders to adopt OpenRA as the platform for their mods now. As you say, the engine is under heavy development which will only increase the development overhead on a mod team even if it will lead to greater flexibilty in the directions the mods can go in down the road. Surely it is better for them to stick with the existing engines that have known limitations for now and then look at porting when the TS like mod features have stablised?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The further you go, the tougher it'll be to convert IMO.

The conversion is already slow and tedious, and it'll get bigger with every playtest coming by.

Maintaining a mod against playtests alone is easier in the long term than waiting it to catch up "WW platform X" where it's not just the current X amount of features need to be converted, but X+Y additional ones.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For mods that are in the initial phases maybe, but even there, there are additional efforts needed if they are planning to use developing features where the API's might not be settled or the features may not end up finished. People who targeted ares features in development such as bounty logic or chrono prison were left with incomplete features in just the same way.

You say its easier, but assuming some porting tools are developed to speed up the translation process, it might be a safer bet waiting and in the mean time, you have a stable platform to develop against and constrain your ambition.

Anyhow, its a call modders will have to make individually, but I don't think jumping ship to OpenRA being the easiest course is a clear cut as you make out. There is also the increased load of whiny modders making demands of the OpenRA dev team to consider too if a bunch jump ship Wink

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blade wrote:
I have to ask then, why do some people seem to be pushing for modders to adopt OpenRA as the platform for their mods now. As you say, the engine is under heavy development which will only increase the development overhead on a mod team even if it will lead to greater flexibilty in the directions the mods can go in down the road. Surely it is better for them to stick with the existing engines that have known limitations for now and then look at porting when the TS like mod features have stablised?

I can't explain or justify other people's motivations, but I can give my own opinion (which is often controversial): I agree completely.  I think that big total-conversion style mods with teams that don't want to become actively involved in OpenRA development should steer clear of it for the immediate future.

We have utility rules that automate many of the rules changes as we adapt traits, and these are mostly adequate for smaller scale mods (i.e. those that build off one of our main mods, and add new units, factions, missions, etc).  These mods are still going to need to invest a few hours each new release (every few months) to adapt to the new changes, however.  There have been several mods like this that have survived for a couple of releases before dying off due to lack of time or enthusiasm.

We can say all we want about flexibility and yada yada, but the fact is that if the engine doesn't yet offer them what they need, and if they aren't willing to adapt or able to contribute towards making those features happen, then it is a waste of everybody's time for them to convert to OpenRA now.  There is no telling how long they might need to wait and keep maintaining their non-releasable mod.  That's just silly.

The benefits of converting to OpenRA come when you're either willing to adapt to the new engine (which means giving up some things you might be used to from the original engines, but gaining a giant bunch of new possibilities in return) or able to help implement the missing feature that you need.  "help" doesn't even need to be code: A well written feature request that precisely defines the expected behaviour would be fantastic and greatly improves the chances of someone else implementing it.

As an example (from the DTA thread) "Add meteors" is not a well written feature request. We don't know the implementation details of the original meteor code, and it usually takes significantly more effort to research details like that than it does to implement the actual code.  If somebody can describe exactly what they want from a feature, then we can implement it or explain how they no longer need to abuse that feature to do something completely different (all too common in C&C mods) which we can support in a better way.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pchote wrote:
As an example (from the DTA thread) "Add meteors" is not a well written feature request. We don't know the implementation details of the original meteor code, and it usually takes significantly more effort to research details like that than it does to implement the actual code.  If somebody can describe exactly what they want from a feature, then we can implement it or explain how they no longer need to abuse that feature to do something completely different (all too common in C&C mods) which we can support in a better way.

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/7874
Quote:
Meteors

I wasn't the original writer of that feature request Wink

Overall, that's a great and honest post, and one that is nice to see from the OpenRA lead developer (?) despite all the marketing. As an example, a lot of people keep asking us for a OpenRA version of DTA, but right now the engine simply doesn't do what we need it to do. Nor do we want to constantly fix features that get broken with new playtests. We'd rather focus those resources on making our project better and then switch when (if?) the OpenRA engine has matured enough. OpenRA is a promising project and we're keeping our eye on it, but currently it's just not suitable for our purposes.

penev
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to interject that some people are apparently greatly underestimating the hoops we jump through and the time and effort we spend on not breaking features in new playtests.
And pchote sold the automatic YAML upgrading short, IMO - it is perfectly capable of upgrading a mod (size is irrelevant, complexity might be a factor) from one release to another. We also sometimes spend more time on that than is actually beneficial to the project, but we do it so that we ensure thirdparty maps (and mods) can upgrade as easily as possible.

That said, it's your choice to sit and wait and not switch, but let's not move the argument from the DTA thread here.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Running the utility is one thing. It converts simple trait renamings well, but if one trait got replaced by 2 or 3 to become more modular or even got replaced with the very dynamic https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Actor-Upgrades system things aren't easily converted. Most of the recent refactors were done synchronously on all supported mods with automation to do the grunt work, but manual tweaking afterwards often improving quality and maintainability. Regressions were quickly identified and fixed. To me the only chance to stay up to date is to keep track of the https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Changelog even look at the diffs yourself https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/commits/bleed to see what changed and in what way.

Solely running automated tools on a weekly basis without any further touch up and breakage will occur. I am not sure if https://github.com/Phrohdoh/OpenRA is more broken than it was before or if the RA2 mod never really was fully set up. Sadly the git history was erased during rebasing with large squashings. I noticed turret rendering problems and also related crashes. They can be easily fixed though. However they aren't. When I last had a look a single person was directly committing and leaving the master in a known to be broken state. For example skirmish matches will crash instantly. It is even documented in https://github.com/Phrohdoh/OpenRA/issues although the fix is a trivial one liner. However no effort is made to upstream fixes or to keep the master stable.

RA2 is the next step so I am surprised the core team didn't want to embrace it and help. A missed opportunity and also a bad signal towards RA2 mods which will now stay away instead of joining the community as new developers and testers. An unmaintained one-man show RA2 mod will stay a death birth and give a wrong impression on how well the isometric engine support already matured. There was a reason I invested a lot of time into boring static rule analysis "lint" features and even maintain two continuous integration systems as well as set up static code analysis and quality metrics. Also the recent addition of unit tests will help keep the engine stable without rejecting contributions and innovation.

Last edited by Matthias M. on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M. wrote:
RA2 is the next step so I am surprised the core team didn't want to embrace it and help.

As mentioned before, the problem is mostly in the added pull request review & update overhead this would create (and I suspect we'd get lots of yaml and logic contribution PRs specifically for RA2 and would break the 100 open PRs barrier in no time). We're struggling enough in that regard with the shipping mods + TS.

Matthias M. wrote:
However no effort is made to upstream fixes or to keep the master stable.

I have just completed applying the fixes from your PR to my local master which already had all yaml bugs squashed yesterday. Can be found on my OpenRA repo now. Much easier and faster if nobody has to review it.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I agree. The very formal, delayed and nit-picky review process can be a pain, but more eyeballs and testers usually also find more problems and sometimes even have better ideas on how to solve them. Also the automated tests running for every change there should assist.

Is https://github.com/reaperrr/openra/tree/ra2%23master the new place where external community development should take place?

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M. wrote:
Is https://github.com/reaperrr/openra/tree/ra2%23master the new place where external community development should take place?

No. This is (or was...) just meant to be PR'd to Phrohdoh's branch later.

I just updated it because I've become rather good at fixing yaml regressions one by one and felt like helping out with that.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

People are getting more and more confused by it, but so far the current place for development, even posting bugs is https://github.com/Phrohdoh/OpenRA

There are lot's of issues and most of them are simple yaml misconfigurations and bit rot. I guess the project could need a helping hand. Contributing to it might be a nice way to jump into OpenRA modding.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Proudly presenting the work of xanax for the Red Alert 2 mod!

There are some slight adjustments to be made in yaml and a bit of work ahead (the observer UI has yet to be completed), but he has done a fantastic job so far!

It is with a sad heart that I tell you all I am stepping down from my role as the RA2 maintainer (admittedly I did a terrible job) and have arranged to hand the project's leadership over to another member of the OpenRA development team.

The contributions existing on my repo will be assessed and hopefully merged before the reins are officially handed over.
Of course the issues are still open and usable, feel free to comment or open new ones!

I had fun watching the mod grow from OmegaBolt's humble beginnings into something with many contributors.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking forward to play this!

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How are things going so far with this project?

MustaphaTR
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When i look to lastest SSs, i can say we have done very much things so far. But still lots of other things to do. I was planning to record a video yesterday but it runs on too low FPS for it on my computer.

Generals Alpha: http://www.moddb.com/mods/generals-alpha
Romanov's Vengeange: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

TaShadan
Medic

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MustaphaTR wrote:
When i look to lastest SSs, i can say we have done very much things so far. But still lots of other things to do. I was planning to record a video yesterday but it runs on too low FPS for it on my computer.

I could record for you. Is there a playable version already?

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some people published recordings on YouTube:

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm atm trying to get a new AS internal out but I guess after that's done, I hop back to tackling some of the missing features.

ATM I assume that won't happen 'til late-May (2 weeks from today on) though at best.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice progress. but the icons of allied seems a bit bright maybe you have to remake them. I would love to contribute but unlike C++ i am weak at C#

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phrohdoh wrote:
Proudly presenting the work of xanax for the Red Alert 2 mod!

There are some slight adjustments to be made in yaml and a bit of work ahead (the observer UI has yet to be completed), but he has done a fantastic job so far!

It is with a sad heart that I tell you all I am stepping down from my role as the RA2 maintainer (admittedly I did a terrible job) and have arranged to hand the project's leadership over to another member of the OpenRA development team.

The contributions existing on my repo will be assessed and hopefully merged before the reins are officially handed over.
Of course the issues are still open and usable, feel free to comment or open new ones!

I had fun watching the mod grow from OmegaBolt's humble beginnings into something with many contributors.

The radar offline images of allied and soviets are the same ones as in Mental Omega 3.0 BR2 radar offline images of factions. See Speeders' "On Mental" edited BR1 Gameplays.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They look similar, they're not the same. It's just a standard logo on a higher quality background. Maybe Tomsons made both sets of them. So what?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AFAIK xanax made the sidebars entirely, without help.

Besides, the OpenRA radaroffline images are bigger than their YR counterparts, the fact they don't have any upsize blurring tells they are made from scratch from what's available.

=======================

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The radar offline images of allied and soviets are the same ones as in Mental Omega 3.0 BR2 radar offline images of factions. See Speeders' "On Mental" edited BR1 Gameplays.

oh that great help for the community, oh great great... --

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
AFAIK xanax made the sidebars entirely, without help.

Sometimes your knowledge is quite questionable.

Speeder wrote:
They look similar, they're not the same. It's just a standard logo on a higher quality background. Maybe Tomsons made both sets of them. So what?

Well they are pretty much the same, its the same asset, it wasn't made EXCLUSIVELY FOR MO, it was made just to remake the radar images.
Of course I did. I couldn't let the heresy of uber shitly upscaled images stand.
I even went as far as making the whole UI,even remaking the pieces that looked bad(and then figured out how WW did certain things and continued on remaking even more pieces), no clue how much of my version xanax used tho.

Graion Dilach wrote:
Besides, the OpenRA radaroffline images are bigger than their YR counterparts, the fact they don't have any upsize blurring tells they are made from scratch from what's available.

Yes! "from what's available", thats it, thats exactly it

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone.

Let me clarify some points.

*I* made this (openra) RA2 UI by re-using some elements from the original UI and by creating new elements from scratch (the production & order buttons, among other things).

Here is the original UI (that I used):

Here is Tomsons26's mockup UI:

I couldn't reuse Tomsons26's mockup because his Soviets production buttons didn't match the Allies' production buttons dimensions.
OpenRA can have different UIs, one for each faction but there is only one ingame-player.yaml file (which is used to declare buttons dimensions for the two factions).
I am not saying Tomsons26's mockup was bad but because of this OpenRA limitation, I had to make sure same buttons of the two factions are the same dimensions.
Plus, I am not a fan of the Allies' production buttons (that's why I created new ones).

The OpenRA project has a Github repository to upload art files in: https://github.com/OpenRA/ArtSrc
But I wait for the RA2 mod to become more complete to upload my PSD file (for the RA2 UI). Because, atm, it's not 100% clear (to me at least), if we keep the three buttons or two buttons at the top.  See https://github.com/OpenRA/ra2/pull/95

The two faction logos were indeed made by Tomsons26, and if I forgot to credit him, I am sincerely sorry (I respect him as well as his art skills). But to be honest, I planned to do it later, once my PSD file is on /OpenRA/ArtSrc

Last edited by xanax on Sat May 28, 2016 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The retraces look so good, I couldn't distinguish them from the original.

Phrohdoh wrote:

In fact they hide a lot of limitations: the missing ore spawn and the lighting effect. Both problems are fixed in current OpenRA/ra2 master already.

arrakis_sun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xanax wrote:
Hello everyone.

Let me clarify some points.

*I* made this (openra) RA2 UI by re-using some elements from the original UI and by creating new elements from scratch (the production & order buttons, among other things).

Here is the original UI (that I used):

Here is Tomsons26's mockup UI:

I couldn't reuse Tomsons26's mockup because his Soviets production buttons didn't match the Allies' production buttons dimensions.
OpenRA can have different UIs, one for each faction but there is only one ingame-player.yaml file (which is used to declare buttons dimensions for the two factions).
I am not saying Tomsons26's mockup was bad but because of this OpenRA limitation, I had to make sure same buttons of the two factions are the same dimensions.
Plus, I am not a fan of the Allies' production buttons (that's why I created new ones).

The OpenRA project has a Github repository to upload art files in: https://github.com/OpenRA/ArtSrc
But I wait for the RA2 mod to become more complete to upload my PSD file (for the RA2 UI). Because, atm, it's not 100% clear (to me at least), if we keep the three buttons or two buttons at the top.  See https://github.com/OpenRA/ra2/pull/95

The two faction logos were indeed made by Tomsons26, and if I forgot to credit him, I am sincerely sorry (I respect him as well as his art skills). But to be honest, I planned to do it later, once my PSD file is on /OpenRA/ArtSrc

Looks is wery cool work)

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it me, or does the ingame UI look brighter than both the original and mockup? Palette restrictions?

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's just Apple's shitty "hurdurhur we never use standards" color space garbage.

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 3 of 3 [131 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum