:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Do you want to advertise at Project Perfect Mod. Find out how to do it HERE.

The time now is Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:55 pm
All times are UTC + 0
 Forum index » PPM Zone » PPM Discussion Zone
All Tile type ID's
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
tomsons26lv
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:  All Tile type ID's Reply with quote

Today i investigated the tile IDs for the ORA RA2 mod and for the TS mod.

The way I checked it is pasted the tile speed settings from rules to a map that only is made of one specific tile.Extracted the tile from the game and pasted in the game folder.

Since the CnCNet version can launch directly without menus it meant i can quickly test it.
I edited the speed settings in map file the exe would be loading and checked what happens when i set say ID 0 which is known to be linked to the [Clear] section to 0%(which resulted in MCV blowing up), then changed the ID in the tile file i'm testing with and went though all the IDs the same way from 0 to 15.

Since this is beneficial for everyone not just ORA so i'm posting it here.
Now we finally know what ID is linked to what. Very Happy

w2dtiletypes.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.68 KB
 Viewed:  2906 Time(s)

w2dtiletypes.png

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice and useful info. thanks
I think this is also the way i coded it in TMP Shop.

It's a shame the game has no TerrainType ID for Tiberium/Weeds/Wall for tiles. It would have given mods more freedom to use new movement patterns for units.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
very nice and useful info. thanks
I think this is also the way i coded it in TMP Shop.

It's a shame the game has no TerrainType ID for Tiberium/Weeds/Wall for tiles. It would have given mods more freedom to use new movement patterns for units.

Well it has a ID for them but i got the impression since 16 and up don't exist as the game crashes with anything else, it could be those ID's are actual names not numbers or maybe hex like(0x##) like FinalSun/FinalAlert represents them.
Could off course be 100 or something absurd like that too. We'll probably never know unless someone from WW tells us or someone reverse engineers the type section in the exe

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, obviously WW only coded for a 1-bit hex value so only 0-F are the only valid options (0-15). Why such a strict restriction, well that's WW.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to disagree with you, 4StarGeneral.

To some degree, yes, WW added some odd restrictions.
On the other hand, maybe this is by design. Think about it, if you need 8 cars, you don't buy 16 because why not.
I believe Westwood made this kind of decisions for some things, too. If you only have 16 terrain types that are used, why build more code?
You don't add an extra wall to a house if it's not going to be used what so ever.

Stuff like the Whiteboy bug is just shitty code, but I think the same could be said for OverlayTypes.
Westwood had far less than 255 types of Overlay, and nearly all of them require specific code to give them unique behavior (walls with gates slamming onto them, bridges, tiberiums etc.).

So yes, some things were probably done by design. Same like Ares does for certain things.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

though 255 = byte or char (8bit)
16 is no data type at all in any programming language that i know. To store this, you still need 1 byte in a file and in any internal data handling routines, since the next smaller data type is boolean which is only 1 bit.

Even from a programmers point of view, a 4 bit data type is bad (e.g. an array of boolean[16]). You still need another 4 empty bits to store this, not to speak of special routines to read/write this.

In the program you also wouldn't restrict yourself when you use Byte while you need only 4 bit. Using Byte is much easier than for example an array Boolean[16].

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data size is left over from RA, where Joe Bostic himself told me they did everything possible to save on memory and file sizes. Don't think too much about trivial things.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
*snip*

Low-level programming is actually pretty good for half-byte handling if you treat it as byte, not as bitarray, (not to mention BCD encoding). Just grab it as byte, do an AND with 0FH or F0H (maybe 3CH if you'd favor that), shift result if needed, use however you'd like to.

Every conversion from string to numbers and back does such a masking, so what.

True that it does not have it's own data handler, but it never really needed one at all - the results are 100% predictable compared to words, where endianness comes in.

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » PPM Zone » PPM Discussion Zone
Jump to:  
Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!