Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:02 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Chrono Hazard & Map editor & map renderer
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [51 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject:  Chrono Hazard & Map editor & map renderer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(I don't know if it's the right place to ask this...)

I try to make a coop map but I have some difficulty with some things :

- I try to change the color of the ennemy, both of them must have the orange color, so i think i must add "Colors=x,x" but what is the "x" number for orange color ? (by the way, it is possible to have the white color ?)

- In my map preview, the starting location of the 2 players is far away of their true starting location, I try to change the "x" number in "StartingLocations=x,x" but I think it's for the ennemy. What should I do ?

- When i want to test my map, the game crash during the loading screen, any clue of what can do this ? (My starting location problem maybe ?)

- For the map preview, I think you use the "Map Render" tool right ? But what settings do you use for this ? I try to use it but my refinery, SAM site and tank are invisible unlike the other official map preview and my PNG file is heavy.

- What tool do you use for blur the map preview ? Photoshop ? What setting for the blur tool ?

- In my 2 players coop mission, if I want the player 1 have a unit, I must add "owner : spawn1", for player 2 "owner : spawn2", for AI1 "owner : spawn3", etc... ?

- In coop map, it is possible to make a 2players vs 2 AI vs 2 AI ?

- It is possible to add a custom name to a building like the Nod's research facility ?

- Why the Nod's Apache is invisible in the map editor ?

- Some maps like "the experiment lab coop" can't be open, why ?

- My english skill is bad, can I ask someone in this forum to check my map for find translation errors ? (Briefing, dialogue, etc...)

Thank you.  Smile

Last edited by Sombracier on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Map editor & map render Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:
- I try to change the color of the ennemy, both of them must have the orange color, so i think i must add "Colors=x,x" but what is the "x" number for orange color ? (by the way, it is possible to have the white color ?)

Orange should be color index 4. White is color index 15.

Sombracier wrote:
- In my map preview, the starting location of the 2 players is far away of their true starting location, I try to change the "x" number in "StartingLocations=x,x" but I think it's for the ennemy. What should I do ?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the starting locations of the first 2 human players are always locations 0 and 1 in co-op missions.

Sombracier wrote:
- When i want to test my map, the game crash during the loading screen, any clue of what can do this ? (My starting location problem maybe ?)

No clue. You could upload your map and related INI files here and we could check them out.

Sombracier wrote:
- In my 2 players coop mission, if I want the player 1 have a unit, I must add "owner : spawn1", for player 2 "owner : spawn2", for AI1 "owner : spawn3", etc... ?

Yes, this is correct.

Sombracier wrote:

Nope, all enemy AIs are on the same side.

Sombracier wrote:
- It is possible to add a custom name to a building like the Nod's research facility ?

Yes, by adding the building's INI section into the map with a text editor (like Wordpad) and giving it the Name= key. See INI\\Rules.ini for the building list.

Sombracier wrote:
- Some maps like "the experiment lab coop" can't be open, why ?

They're protected against modification so you can't cheat. Although we were planning to only protect singleplayer missions; the Experiment Lab Co-Op being protected must be an accidental mistake. It'll be fixed in the next version of DTA.

Quote:
- My english skill is bad, can I ask someone in this forum to check my map for find translation errors ? (Briefing, dialogue, etc...)

If you upload the files here, someone could be kind enough for that.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Map editor & map render Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:
- For the map preview, I think you use the "Map Render" tool right ? But what settings do you use for this ? I try to use it but my refinery, SAM site and tank are invisible unlike the other official map preview and my PNG file if heavy.

The Map Renderer can indeed be used to create the preview, although I usually create them by making screenshots of the map ingame and then merging those screenshots together (this gives a slightly more accurate result and I can also add better looking starting location indicators this way, although you won't need those).
Either way, I'd first save a full-size image of the map and then manually resize it in photoshop (the maximum size for the preview is 800x500).
After resizing you need to apply the "Smart Sharpen" filter (enable "Use Legacy" if you're using Photoshop CC), set Radius to 0,3 px and set Amount to something that something that looks right to you; 500% often looks good, but for some maps a little lower can be better, while for certain very large map applying the "Smart Sharpen" filter twice (once with 500% and once with a lower percentage) will look better.
Sombracier wrote:
- What tool do you use for blur the map preview ? Photoshop ? What setting for the blur tool ?

The "blurring" is indeed also applied in photoshop, using the "Mosaic" filter.
To do this I first select the lasso tool, enable  Anti-alias" and set the value for "Feather" to 5 px or lower depending on how smooth I want the edges to be. I then use the lasso tool to draw around the area I intend to pixelerate, then right-click on the selection and click "Layer Via Copy".
Now go to: Filter > Pixelerate > Mosaic...
Set the Cell Size to 10, click OK and you're done.
Sombracier wrote:

If you want there to be an uncontrollable faction present that also attacks the enemy AI, you can only use the Neutral house for this. Mind that you can't make it build anything then however (unless you wanna get into some messy work-arounds).
Sombracier wrote:
- Why the Nod's Apache is invisible in the map editor ?

Voxels aren't displayed in the map editor without a custom (SHP) image and it seems I forgot to add such an image for the Apache. I'll do that soon; thanks for pointing it out.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the starting locations of the first 2 human players are always locations 0 and 1 in co-op missions.

Screen deleted to prevent spoil

Maybe it's not a waypoint for starting location, but if I select Players locations option on the left, he give me waypoint 98 & 99. Or it's something else ?

Thank Bittah for your tutorial for Photoshop, I will try tomorow.   Smile

In the MPMaps.ini file what "LocalSize=3,9,94,86 ;8084" and "Waypoint0=128037" do ?

Last edited by Sombracier on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:
In the MPMaps.ini file what "LocalSize=3,9,94,86 ;8084" and "Waypoint0=128037" do ?

They're used to tell the client where starting locations should be drawn. You can copy LocalSize= from the map file, and waypoint coordinates are also found from the [Waypoints] section of the map file.

Btw, I like the looks of that map Smile

Last edited by ^Rampastein on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The LocalSize=value in MPMaps.ini needs to be copied from your map itself (open your map in a text editor like wordpad to see the code). It indicates which part of the map is actually visible ingame and is used for calculating the positions of waypoints.
The same thing goes for Waypoint#=; you get their values from the map under the [Waypoints] section and the values are then used for displaying the starting locations on top of the map preview in the client.
You can either only include the waypoints for the player starting locations or also include those for the AI enemies (or enemy) as well depending on how much you want the player to know (take a look at the Co-Op versions of Tunnel Train-ing and Radial Range to see how this looks).

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to you, I managed to fix my problem of start location.  Smile
But my launch issue remains, and I don't know why... So I've upload my map, if someone can help me. (My map is not finish, i must add reinforcements and I think there is some translation error).
Because I can't launch my map, I think there is many triggers error, so don't hit me if you see many of them.  Razz

Download deleted (outdated version)

Last edited by Sombracier on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I went over the map and here's some of the problems I noticed:
  • The house of the triggers always has to be set to Neutral for multiplayer maps and this includes Co-Op maps (and because of how they were implemented, it's never valid to set the house of a trigger to any of the Spawn houses in the first place).

• A grenadier and 2 minigunners in between the 2 guard towers near the bottom-left corner of the map are owned by GDI. This will cause the game to crash if no GDI player is present on the map (which is obviously always the case, since you made all human players start as Allies, while making all enemy AI players start as Nod).
    You'll have to change their owners to Spawn3.

• Several triggers use the "Entered by" event with one of the Spawn houses as the parameter, but unfortunately events can never use Spawn houses as their parameter. Fortunately the human players are always Allies, so you should be able to just specify Allies as the parameter instead (I've seen this work with capturing structures, but I'm not sure whether or not this also works well with celltags).

• Your win trigger, uses "Destroyed, Buildings, All..." as its events and Spawn3 and Spawn4 as parameters. While the game will just ignore this since the parameter is invalid, the trigger is also unnecessary because it's still a multiplayer map and the game will end when the 2 enemy AI players are defeated anyhow (and you already forced on Short Game, meaning that players to have to destroy the structures to begin with).
    I noticed that in its current state, your win trigger is causing an instant Game Over for some reason though...

Mind that having a win trigger does have the benefit of displaying the "Mission Accomplished" text at the end (before displaying the scores), but you'll have to adjust the events if you wanna do that.
    You should also know that when you use win and lose triggers on multiplayer maps, it affects all players in the game. This means that regardless of which house you selected, it'll make all players in the game win or lose and it's even possible for the losing enemy AI player to place higher in the score screen than a human player if it wasn't actually destroyed.

• Your "Take Chronosphere" triggers both use the "All Change House" action with Spawn5 and Spawn6 as their parameters.
    First of all, there aren't that many players on the map (so Spawn5 and Spawn6 never exist).
    Second, you have to use the "Multi-Player" houses instead of the Spawn houses for trigger actions. Use "50 Multi-Player" instead of Spawn1, "51 Multi-Player" instead of Spawn2 and so on.

A good number of structures also use Spawn5 and Spawn6 as their owners. Since these players never exist, the buildings that have these owners specified will then also not appear on the map.

• Another thing that's causing the map to crash is that you cross-linked triggers. You for example attach the "Start P2" trigger to "Start P1" and then also attach "Start P1" to "Start P2".
    Either attach P1 to P2 or P2 to P1; don't do both.

• In chronohazard.ini you specified StartingLocations=98,99. This needs to be changed to the starting locations that come right after those of the human player's (0 and 1), meaning that in this case you need to change it to StartingLocations=2,3.
    For your information, this directly ties to the Spawn houses. The player that spawns at waypoint 0 will be Spawn1, the player at waypoint 1 will be Spawn2 and so on and with StartingLocations=98,99 the enemy AI players were supposed to be Spawn99 and Spawn100, which is impossible for a good number of reasons.

• The red and blue rectangles overlap at the bottom of the map, which causes the bottom 3 cells to be cut off (meaning that the MCVs won't even be visible on the map). At the bottom of the map, there should always be a distance of at least 3 cells in between the red and blue lines, so you'll have to resize the map to fix this.
    To do this, go to Edit, then Map and click on the "Change" button under "Map size". Change Height to 63 and change Top back to 0 (it'll automatically have changed to 1).
    Then click OK (and Yes in the warning window) and then on the "Change" button under "Visible area" to restore the blue rectangle back to its original size (it automatically gets resized as well when you change the map size, but since the "Visible map" values remain the same its original size can instantly be restored by just clicking the Change button once).

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It work now !  Surprised
Well...Not at 100% yet but now I can launch my map and make some test.

Thanks a lot Bittah.  Very Happy

For some reason, AAgun are invisible and all flying unit disappear.

I fail to change owner of buildings in the research facility, I try some things, but nothing.
For now, the trigger should work like this (for player 1):
-Event : Discovered by player
-Action : Change house (Parameter value : 50 Multi-Player)
And buildings have the tag for this trigger, so what wrong ?

When I try to destroy a building from the research facility (like the gate), the game crash, why ? (If i try to destroy enemy building, the game don't crash)

How can I change the camera position in the begining ? (He's far away of my starting location)

Here, the new version of my map
For an easy test, I give you a stealth tank and there is a trigger for reveal all the map, you have just to enable it

Last edited by Sombracier on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have time to look into the map right now (I'll do so later), but to change the camera position you can simply add a trigger with "8 Any Event" and action "48 Center Camera at Waypoint..." with Speed set to 4 and waypoint set to 0, 1 or 6.

The crash is related to the "Take Chronosphere P1" trigger, but I'll have to look into the exact cause later on.

Edit:
The "Discovered by player" event that you're using for the "Take Chronosphere" triggers doesn't work well on multiplayer maps and it's currently causing the trigger to only fire when the attached structure is destroyed (this explains why the trigger causes the game to crash when one of the research facility structures is destroyed).

First of all, to make the "Take Chronosphere" triggers fire at the correct time, you're best off to use "8 Any Event" and then disabling the triggers, so that you can then turn them on via another trigger.
Using celltags with an attached trigger with the "Entered by" or "Discovered by player" events didn't seem to work in this case, so I think that the best idea is to create a trigger with event "34 Comes near waypoint..." and Waypoint 10 as the paremeter (with 2 actions to enable triggers "Take Chronosphere P1" and "Take Chronosphere P2") and then attaching this trigger to all of the starting units.
This way the the "Take Chronosphere" triggers will be fired as soon as any of either player's starting units make it to the far left gate of the research facility (you could also add more events to specify the waypoints that are next to the other gates as well).

Now onto the reason why the "Take Chronosphere" triggers cause the game to crash:
The problem is the reinforcement action or more accurately, the team specified as the reinforcements. Teams "Harvester P1" and "Harvester P2" don't have a script specified; simply create a new script (even a script with no actions at all is fine, although I doubt you'll be satisfied with the behavior it causes) and then select this script for both teams.
Sombracier wrote:
For some reason, AAgun are invisible and all flying unit disappear.

It seems that the AA Guns will be invisible if their health is set to less than 50%, even though they won't become invisible if they have more health and get damaged to less than 50% health later in the game and I have no idea why.
You'll have to increase their health to fix this issue, although you could add a trigger to damage them later in the game if you really want them to look damaged.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
It seems that the AA Guns will be invisible if their health is set to less than 50%, even though they won't become invisible if they have more health and get damaged to less than 50% health later in the game and I have no idea why.

surely because only RAAGUN_A is listed in [Animations] list, but not RAAGUN_AD. Thus RAAGUN_AD is not loaded during map loading.
RAAGUN_AD might get reloaded ingame in case of a damage stage change.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems so. I'll fix this for the next update.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to you the triggers work, now players can have the research facility. I change some thing in my map, now it's easier to play with an AI and it's fully playable (but not challenging yet, there is no reinforcement).
But there is new problems now :

- When players take the chronosphere, if one player is a AI, he sell all buildings in the research facility. (I think it's because buildings are damaged)

- The chronosphere give me a new power : I can summon chrono tanks.  Razz (These Chrono tanks can't teleport) Can I disable this power ?

- I locked tech level to 3, I can't build advanced power plant but my AI allies can build this building and he can build medium tank without tech center (tech center is not available in tech level 3).

- The research facility give us helipad but we can't build helicopters because of the tech level, there is a way to lock/unlock technology without decrease/increase the tech level ? (I want helicopters, helipad, AAgun and sensor array but I don't want medium tank and chrono tank)

- If I play with AI, he want to destroy all walls of the research facility, why ? (Allies's turrets auto attack walls too)

- What should I do if I want enemy to train units ? (Look like he do nothing.)

By the way Bittah, what do you think of my map for now ? Smile

New version of my map :
I have enable the trigger to see all the map and the stealth tank still here for easy test

Last edited by Sombracier on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:
When players take the chronosphere, if one player is a AI, he sell all buildings in the research facility. (I think it's because buildings are damaged)

This is an engine issue, although it's solvable if I add some new code to art.ini and add some code to your map as well that'll effectively turn the buildings unsellable (this goes for human players as well, although buildings you'll build yourself will then still be sellable).
I'll apply the code to your map when the next DTA update is released (which'll also include the new art.ini code).
Sombracier wrote:
The chronosphere give me a new power : I can summon chrono tanks.  Razz (These Chrono tanks can't teleport) Can I disable this power ?

This is a leftover from an older DTA build where the Chronosphere was buildable. To disable the support power, simply open your map with a text editor and add this code:
Code:
[RAPDOX]
SuperWeapon=none

Sombracier wrote:
I locked tech level to 3, I can't build advanced power plant but my AI allies can build this building and he can build medium tank without tech center (tech center is not available in tech level 3).

While the AI power plants have also been coded to only be available at tech level 4 and higher, the AI's hardcoded power management system makes it ignore certain restrictions and I can't do anything about this.
The AI ignores prerequisites when building units and this can't be helped. The Medium Tank happens to be part of an AI taskforce that the AI also happens to be able to produce on lower tech levels, although this won't really give the AI any advantage (the financial benefit that building Medium Tanks instead of Light Tanks gives, really only makes enough of a difference for human players).

If having the AI building medium tanks and advanced power plants really bothers you, you could make the medium tanks look and behave like light tanks and also make the advanced power plants look like regular power plants and provide less power. To do this, add the following code to the map:
Code:
[AI2TNK]
Image=1TNK
Name=Light Tank
Primary=75mmRA
Strength=300
Armor=heavy
Sight=5
Speed=7
ROT=15
Points=6
AccelerationFactor=0.05
ThreatPosed=25
Elite=75mmERA

[RAAPWR_AI]
Image=RAPOWR
Strength=500
Armor=wood
Cost=187
Points=3
Power=100

Sombracier wrote:
The research facility give us helipad but we can't build helicopters because of the tech level, there is a way to lock/unlock technology without decrease/increase the tech level ? (I want helicopters, helipad, AAgun and sensor array but I don't want medium tank and chrono tank)

Open Rules.ini to figure out the IDs of the objects you want to make buildable and then add ID to your map along with TechLevel=3.
For example add...
Code:
[HELI]
TechLevel=3

...to make the Allied Longbow attack helicopter buildable at Tech Level 3. Alternatively you could also raise the mission's tech level and instead make certain objects unbuildable by adding their ID  to your map along with TechLevel=-1
Sombracier wrote:
If I play with AI, he want to destroy all walls of the research facility, why ? (Allies's turrets auto attack walls too)

The AIs will either try to destroy all walls it doesn't own (or is allied to) or it will destroy none at all. Unfortunately there's no way to get the AI to own or be allied to pre-placed walls on multiplayer, so your only option is to make AI players not destroy walls at all if you really want to prevent this. Mind that the downside is that the enemy AI players then won't do this either, which will allow human players to simply create an impenetrable barrier of walls to easily keep the AI players out (unless of course the walls are made unbuildable).

To make AI players not attack walls, add this code to your map:
Code:
[Easy]
DestroyWalls=no

[Normal]
DestroyWalls=no

[Difficult]
DestroyWalls=no

Sombracier wrote:
What should I do if I want enemy to train units ? (Look like he do nothing.)

The problem is that the AI doesn't realize it actually owns pre-placed structures (or units) on multiplayer maps. To get the AI to properly start producing things, you'll have to remove the AI's construction yards and instead spawn MCVs in their places as reinforcements.
When you do this, there's another problem however: since the AI doesn't realize it owns any of the structures in its base already, it will try to build all of them again. This means you're probably best off removing all of the enemy AI's structures, aside from the defenses, the structures it can't build (ones that require a higher tech level than 3) and the silos (it normally doesn't build these either).

This basically means you'll only have to remove the Barracks/Hand of Nod, War Factory/Airfield, Radar, refineries and regular power plants.
Sombracier wrote:
By the way Bittah, what do you think of my map for now ? Smile

I haven't had the chance to properly play it beyond debugging it yet and I don't know how challenging you intend to make it, but it definitely looks like it has potential.
Visually it also looks quite good: the layout is nice and the terrain is well detailed. It's hard to believe it's your first map for DTA (or maybe you made more and I just haven't seen them).

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
The AIs will either try to destroy all walls it doesn't own (or is allied to) or it will destroy none at all. Unfortunately there's no way to get the AI to own or be allied to pre-placed walls on multiplayer, ...

There is a way; placing the walls on the map as buildings. See Freezing Offensive (the DTA co-op mission).

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That unfortunately doesn't work either because of the way the Spawn houses are implemented in the spawner. If any structure that's owned by a Spawn house is pre-placed on the map, all walls on the map will then be owned by the first spawn house that owns structures, being Spawn3 in this case.

This always happens and it doesn't matter whether the walls are placed as overlay or as structures (on Freezing Offensive it's just a coincidence that only the enemy AI players had pre-placed structures on the map, meaning that all walls automatically belonged to one of those enemy AI players arleady).

Edit:
After some tests I found that the owner of the walls depends on the proximity of the closest structure that's owned by a Spawn house.
So this means that if you at the very least change the owner of the gates to one of the Spawn houses, the walls will then also be owned by that spawn house, while the walls around the enemy AI base will still belong to the enemy AI (since pre-placed structures that are owned by that enemy AI are closest to it).

Mind that the Pill Boxes will attack the gates if you change their house, so you'll have to change the house of the Pill Boxes to Special to prevent this.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
There is a way; placing the walls on the map as buildings. See Freezing Offensive (the DTA co-op mission).

I try this way (so many tag to add... X_X ), AI destroy less walls (just 3), I think it's good, walls will stay like that. People can play with AI on this map, they won't complain for just 3 walls missing.  Razz

I have found a new problem : The chronosphere have already a tag for change his owner, but player must defend the chronosphere so I must add a tag for "if the chronosphere is destroyed then players lose", how can I do that ?

Quote:
I haven't had the chance to properly play it beyond debugging it yet and I don't know how challenging you intend to make it, but it definitely looks like it has potential.
Visually it also looks quite good: the layout is nice and the terrain is well detailed. It's hard to believe it's your first map for DTA (or maybe you made more and I just haven't seen them).

Thank you , from you (and from Rampastein and Lin Kuei Ominae too) that means a lot to me. It's indeed my first map on DTA, but it's not my first map editor, I started with the red alert map editor when I was a child, then Dark Reign, Age of empire 1 & 2, Warcraft 2 & 3, Starcraft 1 & 2 and not only for RTS, I use RPG maker XP/VX/VX ace and super mario bros X (fan game on PC with a very good editor) too.

Quote:
[AI2TNK]
Image=1TNK
Name=Light Tank
Primary=75mmRA
Strength=300
Armor=heavy
Sight=5
Speed=7
ROT=15
Points=6
AccelerationFactor=0.05
ThreatPosed=25
Elite=75mmERA

Very interesting, with this i can modify (or create ?) any units in the game ? I mean, if I want for my next map a stealth mammoth tank who can fire like an obelisk of light, it's possible ? I ask this because I plan to make challenge maps (Chrono Hazard is just to know how the map editor work), each maps come with a specialty, a system to be more precise. One of these maps confront 6 players (maybe 8 players) against the "blacksmith system", his speciality : "prototype units", so at the begining I plan to use only units who can't be train, but if I can create new units, it can be very...very...interesting  Twisted Evil
For now, I plan 3 system :
- Blacksmith System: Prototype units
- Angel System : Chrono reinforcement & camouflaged units (Thanks Rampastein for telling me the white color, in the snow it will be beautiful ^^ )
- Cerberus system : Overwhelming power

Some missions in red alert are in a building (like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsELYCObssk ), do you plan to add these sprite too ? I ask this because I would like to make a map where Nod try to escape from a GDI's prison, if you plan to add these sprite I will wait for it.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Very interesting, with this i can modify (or create ?) any units in the game ? I mean, if I want for my next map a stealth mammoth tank who can fire like an obelisk of light, it's possible ?

Yes, you can edit all existing units, and it is perfectly possible to make a stealth mammoth tank that fires like an Obelisk. You can even create new units, but you need to be very careful when doing so due to engine limitations (specifically, if the unit is owned by any playable house, the AI will start spamming it like hell). However, DTA has two extra units for each faction that you can edit freely, GDI/NOD/ALL/SOVUNIT1/2 (for example, see [GDIUNIT1]).

You also can't create new graphics for the units, but using the Image= key you can give the units the graphics of already existing units.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:
Quote:

I try this way (so many tag to add... X_X ), AI destroy less walls (just 3), I think it's good, walls will stay like that. People can play with AI on this map, they won't complain for just 3 walls missing.  Razz

It looks like you missed my last post. It makes no difference whether the walls are placed as structures or overlay as all: the owner of the walls depends on the nearest structure that's owned by a Spawn house. So like I mentioned in my previous post, simply changing the owner of the gates to Spawn1 or Spawn2 will make the walls belong to the players and will prevent an allied AI player from attacking them.
Sombracier wrote:
I have found a new problem : The chronosphere have already a tag for change his owner, but player must defend the chronosphere so I must add a tag for "if the chronosphere is destroyed then players lose", how can I do that ?

The easiest way to do this would be by simply making the Chronosphere owned by Spawn1 or Spawn2 from the start. You can then prevent it from revealing shroud before you get to the base by simply adding this code:
Code:
[RAPDOX]
Sight=0

Sombracier wrote:
Thank you , from you (and from Rampastein and Lin Kuei Ominae too) that means a lot to me. It's indeed my first map on DTA, but it's not my first map editor, I started with the red alert map editor when I was a child, then Dark Reign, Age of empire 1 & 2, Warcraft 2 & 3, Starcraft 1 & 2 and not only for RTS, I use RPG maker XP/VX/VX ace and super mario bros X (fan game on PC with a very good editor) too.

Every map editor works very differently and DTA's is a bit more complicated than Red Alert's (since it has more features), so it's still impressive.
Sombracier wrote:
Quote:
[AI2TNK]
Image=1TNK
Name=Light Tank
Primary=75mmRA
Strength=300
Armor=heavy
Sight=5
Speed=7
ROT=15
Points=6
AccelerationFactor=0.05
ThreatPosed=25
Elite=75mmERA

Very interesting, with this i can modify (or create ?) any units in the game ? I mean, if I want for my next map a stealth mammoth tank who can fire like an obelisk of light, it's possible ?

That's indeed possible. To add entirely new units, you can either modify the existing GDIUNIT1, GDIUNIT2, NODUNIT1, etc. units that were added for this purpose, or you could add entirely new IDs by including [VehicleTypes] in your map's code an then adding the new ID there (along with all necessary code that the new unit requires).
Sombracier wrote:
I ask this because I plan to make challenge maps (Chrono Hazard is just to know how the map editor work), each maps come with a specialty, a system to be more precise. One of these maps confront 6 players (maybe 8 players) against the "blacksmith system", his speciality : "prototype units", so at the begining I plan to use only units who can't be train, but if I can create new units, it can be very...very...interesting  Twisted Evil
For now, I plan 3 system :
- Blacksmith System: Prototype units
- Angel System : Chrono reinforcement & camouflaged units (Thanks Rampastein for telling me the white color, in the snow it will be beautiful ^^ )
- Cerberus system : Overwhelming power

Sounds interesting. Mind that the only way to make a Co-Op mission work for 8 human players at the same time is by using the Neutral house as the enemy. This is because only 8 players can be in a game at the same time and this includes the enemy AIs in Co-Op missions, but not the Neutral and Special houses.
In case you weren't already aware, the Netural house is allied to no-one, while the Special house is allied to everyone.
Sombracier wrote:
Some missions in red alert are in a building (like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsELYCObssk ), do you plan to add these sprite too ? I ask this because I would like to make a map where Nod try to escape from a GDI's prison, if you plan to add these sprite I will wait for it.

This has indeed be on my mind for quite a while already, but it'll be a lot of work to pull it off. I might do it eventually, but there's an amount of other things that I'll have to finish before starting on that.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You also can't create new graphics for the units, but using the Image= key you can give the units the graphics of already existing units.

And what about new graphics for map ? (custom tree, cliff, ruined buildings etc...)

And...custom tiberium ?   Very Happy
(If I can make custom tiberium, I make a new map, right now I just had a super idea)

Quote:
It looks like you missed my last post.

No, it's just I have already test the Rampastein's idea before your post. ^^'
But I'll try your idea too.

Quote:
changing the owner of the gates to Spawn1 or Spawn2 will make the walls belong to the players

Each players have two gates, so who have the walls ?

Quote:
Mind that the only way to make a Co-Op mission work for 8 human players at the same time is by using the Neutral house as the enemy. This is because only 8 players can be in a game at the same time and this includes the enemy AIs in Co-Op missions, but not the Neutral and Special houses.

If 8 players play together, the game think there is no enemy so players win when the game start, no ?

Quote:
In case you weren't already aware, the Neutral house is allied to no-one, while the Special house is allied to everyone.

I wasn't aware for the special house, it will be useful for the intro of the angel system, thanks.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no new graphics can be added by a map.
a map can only use the already existing graphics and exchange them (using the Image= key).

to be precise:
A map can do everything rules.ini can do. (and thus override things or create new objects using already existing graphics)
A map can not do any art.ini changes.
Check out these 2 ini files to see what they can do. Wink

You can also read The newbie guide in modding for more info about the inis.

Sombracier wrote:
(If I can make custom tiberium, I make a new map, right now I just had a super idea)

you can change the value and growing speed. you can also change it with some other already in the mod existing image.
But you can not give it a completely new image in a map.

However, if you create some new graphics, and if they are good looking enough, Bittah could add them as a new graphic to the mod (adding it to the mix files and coding it into art.ini) and thus allow you to use it in your map via the Image key.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:

Like LKO said, if any you make any graphics that look fitting enough, I can add them to the mod so that they can be used on maps via the Image= key.
Sombracier wrote:
Bittah Commander wrote:
changing the owner of the gates to Spawn1 or Spawn2 will make the walls belong to the players

Each players have two gates, so who have the walls ?

The wall pieces that are closest to the gate owned by Spawn1 will also belong to Spawn1 and those closest to the gate owned by Spawn2 will belong to Spawn2.
Sombracier wrote:
If 8 players play together, the game think there is no enemy so players win when the game start, no ?

No, that won't happen. You can even play Skirmish with just 1 player and the game won't instantly end.
However, if all players in the game are allied to one another, the game will end as soon as just one of the players is defeated and the only way to win the game would be via a win trigger.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You can also read The newbie guide in modding for more info about the inis.

Already read, but I think I should read it again.  Wink

Quote:
Like LKO said, if any you make any graphics that look fitting enough, I can add them to the mod so that they can be used on maps via the Image= key.

Sound interesting, I think I will try to make red and violet tiberium.  Smile

Quote:
However, if all players in the game are allied to one another, the game will end as soon as just one of the players is defeated and the only way to win the game would be via a win trigger.

If one of these players leave the game, what's happen ?

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:
If one of these players leave the game, what's happen ?

That's actually a good question. If a player leaves without surrendering, I'd expect him to just become an allied AI player, but it's indeed very well possible that this would also cause the game to end (it depends on when the game checks which players are still alive, which it normally does when any player is defeated).
It'll have to be tested some time, but until then it's probably safest to have at least one Spawn house as the enemy AI.

By the way, another thing you should know is that the Neutral house is never able to produce anything at all, which means that it'd need to receive all of its units solely as reinforcements.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a way to ask for the AI to build a building to a specific location ?

I try to delete the construction yard and add a MCV for the AI but he don't want to deploy (I use script like allies MCV who can deploy), I think it's an overlay problem (road or wall, I don't know) because if I change the waypoint, AI MCV can deploy.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You need to spawn the MCV as a reinforcement to make the AI deploy it.
Mind that the MCVs won't deploy if you spawn them in the positions of the current Construction Yards however: the top MCV wouldn't have enough space to deploy (because the top 3 cells of a map are always inaccessible and the top cell of the top Construction Yard is currently on one of those inaccessible cells), although I'm unsure why the bottom MCV refuses to deploy in the spot of the current bottom Construction Yard. You'll have to move the waypoints on which you'll make the MCVs spawn around a bit to check where the MCVs do properly deploy.

I recommend that you use a disabled trigger with "8 Any Event" and that you enable this trigger at the same time as when the player's MCVs are spawned; this way the AI won't start building units before the players are able to build a base.

If you notice that the AI builds structures in spots you don't want it to, you can also place a few "Deny Building Placement" overlays there.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound like I'll have to rework the entire enemy base...they will never build the weapons factory and airfield at this location...  Crying or Very sad (and there is a way to prevent them to build additional defences ?)

I begin to add reinforcement, for my first test, A10 wartogs destroyed the chronosphere, and I have "you are victorious !" but the trigger is configured for lose (Action 0 : 2-loser is... Spawn1).

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Multiplayer maps were never meant to work like singleplayer missions, so creating Co-Op maps unfortunately has its restrictions and it can be tricky to get everything to work the way you want to. It's not always possible to do everything you have in mind, but most of the time it's possible to get it done via work-arounds or to at least get very close to what you intended.

The make it a little easier to test and see where the AI builds its structures (and which structures it builds), you can speed up the process by adding the following code:
Code:
[GDI]
Cost=.01
BuildTime=.01

[Nod]
Cost=.01
BuildTime=.01

But make sure to remove the code again after you finish testing, of course.
Sombracier wrote:
Sound like I'll have to rework the entire enemy base...they will never build the weapons factory and airfield at this location...  Crying or Very sad (and there is a way to prevent them to build additional defences ?)

The AI is a bit random when placing structures, although like I mentioned before, you can prevent it from building structures in certain places by placing "Deny Building Placement" overlays on those spots.

It is possible to make the AI not build any more defensive structures, but if any of the existing ones are destroyed, they won't be rebuilt.
To do this, add the following code:
Code:
[TWR]
Prerequisite=AFACT,GFACT,PYLE

[TWR_AI]
TechLevel=11

[TWR1_AI]
TechLevel=11

[GUN_AI]
TechLevel=11

[GUN1_AI]
TechLevel=11

This basically raises the required tech level for the guard towers and gun turrets that the AI builds to 11 (4 would've been fine already, but I use 11 out of habit), which prevents the AI from building them. This was necessary because the "AIBuildThis=" key is ignored for defensive structures.
I gave [TWR] the Allied Construction Yard as its prerequisite to prevent the AI from building it and at the same time still make it available for the player if he captures the GDI Construction Yard.
Sombracier wrote:
I begin to add reinforcement, for my first test, A10 wartogs destroyed the chronosphere, and I have "you are victorious !" but the trigger is configured for lose (Action 0 : 2-loser is... Spawn1).

It looks like the lose trigger doesn't work the way it should for multiplayer maps.
There's other ways to go about it however, although it takes a bit more effort:
  1. One option Is to give every single structure the player can own Insignificant=yes in the map's code and then placing a single structure for which you didn't add Insignificant=yes for each player outside of the visible area of the map, which you'll blow up as soon as the Chronosphere is destroyed. Since Short Game is on, the game will consider the players to have nomore structures at that point and all other remaining structures and units will then instantly blow up.
  2. Another option is to use meteors or modified lightning (or both) to quickly blow up all of the players' structures, although this will blow up the enemy AI bases as well.
  3. And the last option is to use invisible (or visible, if you prefer) Hunter Seekers which are spawned as reinforcements and owned by the Spawn3 and/or Spawn4 so that they'll only blow up the player structures. This method is actually used in the "Freezingly Desperate Grip" Co-Op mission.
Of course there's more options if you're feeling creative, but these are just the ones I thought of.

Agent Z
AA Infantry

Location: LocationNotFoundException at RealLife.Location.find() at line: -1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:

Sombracier wrote:

It looks like the lose trigger doesn't work the way it should for multiplayer maps.
There's other ways to go about it however, although it takes a bit more effort:
  1. One option Is to give every single structure the player can own Insignificant=yes in the map's code and then placing a single structure for which you didn't add Insignificant=yes for each player outside of the visible area of the map, which you'll blow up as soon as the Chronosphere is destroyed. Since Short Game is on, the game will consider the players to have nomore structures at that point and all other remaining structures and units will then instantly blow up.
  2. Another option is to use meteors or modified lightning (or both) to quickly blow up all of the players' structures, although this will blow up the enemy AI bases as well.
  3. And the last option is to use invisible (or visible, if you prefer) Hunter Seekers which are spawned as reinforcements and owned by the Spawn3 and/or Spawn4 so that they'll only blow up the player structures. This method is actually used in the "Freezingly Desperate Grip" Co-Op mission.
Of course there's more options if you're feeling creative, but these are just the ones I thought of.

If I remember right from when I made multiplayer-cooperative-missions or hybrid-multiplayer/singleplayer-maps for a single player some years ago for YR, one could also set a win trigger to lose, if the lose trigger makes you win. I have lost those maps long ago, and cannot confirm it works(and maybe TS works differently).

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
One option Is to give every single structure the player can own Insignificant=yes in the map's code and then placing a single structure for which you didn't add Insignificant=yes for each player outside of the visible area of the map, which you'll blow up as soon as the Chronosphere is destroyed. Since Short Game is on, the game will consider the players to have nomore structures at that point and all other remaining structures and units will then instantly blow up.

I wouldn't recommend this. It'll break several things, harvesters/refineries for example. Harvesters won't harvest anything anymore and they refuse to enter refineries. The Hunter-Seeker method works well and is easy to implement.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found something interesting, if I launch DTA with the option in the final sun DTA editor and then launch my map :

- There is no enemy anymore
- MCV on my starting location (they should begin at the research facility)
- I begin at random side (GDI, NOD, Soviet)
- Buildings cost 7-14$

By the way "Deny Building Placement" option look like dirt on the radar, there is a way to disable it ? I must use many Deny building placement because AI want to build anywhere on the map because of turret and SAM.

I try to add
Quote:
[NUK2_AI]
TechLevel=11

For disable AI adv. power plant because they want to build too many of them. But it don't work, what should I do ?

Edit :
Now I have a crash but I don't know why, after I take the research facility, enemy begin to build (RA power plant) and after the game crash.

New version of my map :
Trigger for the map, enemy fast build and stealth tank are still here for test

Last edited by Sombracier on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:
I found something interesting, if I launch DTA with the option in the final sun DTA editor and then launch my map

Strange. It seems that when the client is started like this, it's somehow unable to locate chronohazard.ini and thus doesn't apply the necessary settings.
Sombracier wrote:
By the way "Deny Building Placement" option look like dirt on the radar, there is a way to disable it ?

Unfortunately this is hardcoded within the (invisible) SHP of the "Deny Building Placement" overlay itself and it currently uses a color that's somewhat fitting among all kinds of terrain (grass, snow, dirt, cliffs, etc.).

I noticed that you placed some of the "Deny Building Placement" overlay on top of the cliffs by the way: this should be avoided, since it will allow units to move on top of these cliffs.
Sombracier wrote:
I must use many Deny building placement because AI want to build anywhere on the map because of turret and SAM.

I think it would be a better idea to add an extra AI enemy and then changing all of the structures on the map that are not in the main base to that (Spawn5). Simply don't give this AI player an MCV so that it won't be able to build anything and you'll then only have to worry about the building placement within the main base.
Make sure that you do give this new enemy AI player some power plants to power its structures around the map.
Sombracier wrote:

I try to add
Quote:
[NUK2_AI]
TechLevel=11

For disable AI adv. power plant because they want to build too many of them. But it don't work, what should I do ?

Because of an engine limitation and a necessary work-around I had to do to get 4 factions to work, the Nod AI has many Advanced Power Plant clones: NUK2A_AI, NUK2B_AI, NUK2C_AI and so on, going all the way up to NUK2J_AI.
You can disable a number of them (starting with the highest letters), but if you disable too many and the Nod AI runs out of power, it'll cause it to build Red Alert power plants instead.

I also recommend that you leave [NUK2_AI] enabled, since it's the first Advanced Power Plant that the AI normally builds and not building it might cause the AI to run out of power early on (and thus build RA Power Plants).
Sombracier wrote:
Now I have a crash but I don't know why, after I take the research facility, enemy begin to build (RA power plant)

The reason why the AI builds RA Power Plants in this case is because it owns a very large number of power demanding structures from the start and there's too few power plants available to supply them all. This will be a smaller issue after you've changed the house of most of these structures to Spawn5 like I suggested above, although you'll still need to add more power plants to supply the rest of the structures that Spawn3 (Nod) still owns with power.
Sombracier wrote:
and after the game crash.

When 2 structures overlap one another, the game will crash as soon as one of those structures is destroyed. In this case the 2 power plants you placed outside of the visible map area are overlapping and thus cause the game to crash as soon as the "Delete power plant" trigger (which destroys them) is activated.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If I remember right from when I made multiplayer-cooperative-missions or hybrid-multiplayer/singleplayer-maps for a single player some years ago for YR, one could also set a win trigger to lose, if the lose trigger makes you win. I have lost those maps long ago, and cannot confirm it works(and maybe TS works differently).

You're right, the win trigger is for lose and the lose trigger is for win, thanks Agent Z.  Smile

Quote:
I noticed that you placed some of the "Deny Building Placement" overlay on top of the cliffs by the way: this should be avoided, since it will allow units to move on top of these cliffs.

It's good to know for my next maps.

Quote:
I think it would be a better idea to add an extra AI enemy and then changing all of the structures on the map that are not in the main base to that (Spawn5). Simply don't give this AI player an MCV so that it won't be able to build anything and you'll then only have to worry about the building placement within the main base.

A far better idea indeed, thanks.

Quote:
Because of an engine limitation and a necessary work-around I had to do to get 4 factions to work, the Nod AI has many Advanced Power Plant clones: NUK2A_AI, NUK2B_AI, NUK2C_AI and so on, going all the way up to NUK2J_AI.

Ha, that's why there were so many. I didn't dare to ask.

Thanks to you, the buildings placement in the base are ok now. Next I begin reinforcement, look like reinforcement on the north have problem, they are far away of their waypoint, some tips to know about that ?

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The top 3 cells of maps are always impassable, so this might be be causing the reinforcements to instantly jump towards the first passable cell.

Which trigger action are you using for the reinforcements?
If you're using action 80, try using action 7 instead (and vice-versa), although I wouldn't recommend using action 7 near the south-side of the map since the reinforcements then often won't appear at all.

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a way t make the player not see these first three cells?

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isaac_The_Madd wrote:
Is there a way t make the player not see these first three cells?

No.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm close to finish my map, I have just one problem :

I add :
Quote:
[BRIK]
Owner=Allies
TechLevel=3

But I can't build concrete wall, then I try to upgrade the tech level of the game and I can build them.
Look like concrete wall can be build only in tech level 7 even if we add Techlevel=3.

I finish Chrono Hazard on hard with one AI (hard) in 1 hour but I forgot to delete the "AI fast build" for my test ! XD
So I supose it's less than an hour now but I don't know if it's challenging enough for players...

download deleted (outdated version)

Last edited by Sombracier on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not all of the code is in Rules.ini: things that are different from Classic mode in Enhanced mode are coded in Enhance.ini, where [BRIK] also has been made unbuildable to Allies.
In Enhanced mode Allies and Soviet build RABRIK instead, so you'll simply have to change [BRIK] to [RABRIK] in the code you added to make it work.

I'll give the mission a try when I get the chance.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried the mission on my own on Fastest (Medium Difficulty with a Medium AI ally). It took about 48 minutes, although it could've been much quicker with a different approach; I mainly didn't expect all those AI reinforcements from directions where the AI couldn't possibly send its units to from its base, causing me to lose my economy (which wasn't hard to recover from, since there's quite an abundance of tiberium and gems around the base) and then having to spend a lot of time building defenses before being able to safely attack the AI base.
The lack of defenses forced me to pull back to base several times when I was just moving in to attack, which extended the mission's duration quite a bit.

For one player it's takes a bit of effort, but it's still fairly easy if you just know to build defenses on all of the base's sides and build plenty of refineries.
I expect this mission to be even easier with a human ally however, since you can both build defenses then and thus attack much earlier (and at the same time).

So all in all, it's a fairly easy mission and it'll only take a bit longer the first time when you can still get surprised by AI attacks from unexpected directions (I don't think it's possible for the Demo Truck to surprise anyone by the time it arrives however), but it can be slightly challenging to get our units to your base at the start if you're playing on your own (if you lose those units it's over, since the AI is not going to move).

The only thing I'd really recommend to change is to make the Harvesters that you receive as reinforcements start harvesting automatically via their script.

I'll include whichever version you consider final with DTA's next update.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
you'll simply have to change [BRIK] to [RABRIK] in the code you added to make it work.

I add
[RABRIK]
Owner=Allies
TechLevel=3
But it don't work.

Quote:
So all in all, it's a fairly easy mission

Heck, I lost all my motivation. XD

I'm a little disappointed, I was hoping that the campaign would offer you a bit of difficulty. And I'm confused too because some friends tell me the map is too chalenging (mainly because of mammoth tanks and there is not enough tiberium after a while), so I change some things :

- 3 mammoth tanks on the south instead of 4
- 2 mammoth tanks and 2 medium tanks on the north instead of 4 mammoth tanks
- 3 A10 on north-west instead of 6
- North and south mammoth reinforcement spawn less often

Quote:
I don't think it's possible for the Demo Truck to surprise anyone by the time it arrives however

They are 3 now, hope it's enough. Otherwise , I added two more.

Quote:
The only thing I'd really recommend to change is to make the Harvesters that you receive as reinforcements start harvesting automatically via their script.

I would like too, but I don't see an harvest order in the script.

Quote:

Thank you , but it seems that I have to make many improvements before you really appreciate my map.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:
I'm a little disappointed, I was hoping that the campaign would offer you a bit of difficulty. And I'm confused too because some friends tell me the map is too chalenging...

There's a reason why the current co-op missions in DTA have separate Easy, Medium and Hard versions. You could make the Easy version very easy, the Hard version very hard (mind that Bittah is one of the best DTA players, so missions need to be quite hard to be difficult for him), and Medium somewhere in-between. Making 3 different versions of the same mission does of course add work, but it's worth it.

Btw, your mission looks quite promising, I'll check it out soon.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:
Bittah Commander wrote:
you'll simply have to change [BRIK] to [RABRIK] in the code you added to make it work.

I add
[RABRIK]
Owner=Allies
TechLevel=3
But it don't work.

That's because you added Owner=Allies. Remove that line and it'll work.
Because of how the engine works and because of the work-around I had to do to get 4 factions to work (since TS actually only supports having 2 factions in the game), all structures require to have 2 owners to show up on the sidebar.
It already has 2 owners specified in Enhance.ini and there's no reason to prevent Soviet from building these walls on your map (there's no way to play as Soviet after all), so there's no reason to change the owners.
Sombracier wrote:
Bittah Commander wrote:
So all in all, it's a fairly easy mission

Heck, I lost all my motivation. XD

I'm a little disappointed, I was hoping that the campaign would offer you a bit of difficulty.

The fact it was easy doesn't mean it was bad though. It just meant that was never a time when I was afraid I might lose or had to lower the game speed to keep up.
Sombracier wrote:
And I'm confused too because some friends tell me the map is too chalenging (mainly because of mammoth tanks and there is not enough tiberium after a while)

I'm not sure how you and your friends play the mission exactly, but I find it a bit hard to imagine that you can run out of tiberium unless you only harvest from the 3 tiberium trees towards the north-east.
There's 4 tiberium trees with a huge tiberium field directly to the west of your base, so I just expanded towards the north-west a bit, built 2 reinferies and a good amount of turrets, after which the money just kept coming in.
Sombracier wrote:
Bittah Commander wrote:
I don't think it's possible for the Demo Truck to surprise anyone by the time it arrives however

They are 3 now, hope it's enough. Otherwise , I added two more.

The amount is not really the problem. The main problem is that many enemy reinforcements already arrive from the south-east corner to begin with and since that that corner is practically right in your base, it's not only urgent to place defenses there, but also very easy.
By the time the Demo Trucks arrive, a good number of other enemy units have already made the player very aware that it's an important spot to look out for and the player will have placed plenty of defenses there. So since Demo Trucks are very fragile, they'll most likely end up doing far less damage than the Mammoth Tanks that came before them did.

I personally think it'd be a better idea if you didn't make any enemy units spawn from there until after the demo trucks have spawned there, so that the demo trucks are more likely to surprise a player and thus do a lot of damage.
Sombracier wrote:
Bittah Commander wrote:

I would like too, but I don't see an harvest order in the script.

Simply make the harvester spawn directly on the tiberium when it appears as a reinforcement and it'll start harvesting automatically.
Sombracier wrote:
Bittah Commander wrote:

Thank you , but it seems that I have to make many improvements before you really appreciate my map.

Just tell me whenever you think it's done. I'll also make it impossible to sell the Chronosphere when I add it, since that's not possible in the public version of DTA yet.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
There's a reason why the current co-op missions in DTA have separate Easy, Medium and Hard versions. You could make the Easy version very easy, the Hard version very hard (mind that Bittah is one of the best DTA players, so missions need to be quite hard to be difficult for him), and Medium somewhere in-between. Making 3 different versions of the same mission does of course add work, but it's worth it.

It seems I must do this for hard version because I think my map is a medium difficulty for now (I modify the map again, so Chrono hazard 0.9 is outdated), so I will add a swarm of mammoth tanks for Bittah modify some reinforcement for hard version. Razz
Some advice for the hard version ? It's a little difficult for me to test in hard with an AI allies so I can't know if my map in hard will be challenging and I want to avoid a punishing map.

Quote:
Btw, your mission looks quite promising, I'll check it out soon.

Thanks, I'll wait for your feedback before modify my map. I think it will be very helpfull.

Quote:
I personally think it'd be a better idea if you didn't make any enemy units spawn from there until after the demo trucks have spawned there, so that the demo trucks are more likely to surprise a player and thus do a lot of damage.

I'll try this idea.

Quote:
I'll also make it impossible to sell the Chronosphere when I add it, since that's not possible in the public version of DTA yet.

It's possible to make the AI allies can't sell her buildings too ?

Quote:
I'm not sure how you and your friends play the mission exactly, but I find it a bit hard to imagine that you can run out of tiberium unless you only harvest from the 3 tiberium trees towards the north-east.
There's 4 tiberium trees with a huge tiberium field directly to the west of your base, so I just expanded towards the north-west a bit, built 2 reinferies and a good amount of turrets, after which the money just kept coming in.

We don't build outside of the research facility (except for turret and pill box of course) so we only harvest on the north-east, the center have too many enemy's tanks to go, so we lost too many tanks to defend harvesters and our tanks are not always here because of mammoth tanks on the north and south. Maybe we should expand like you say.
But it's just a report of my friend, not me. By the way, he say the north gate of the research facility is a problem for harvester and defenses, what do you think of this ?

For my next map I have 2 questions :
- The sprite and sounds of the spy have been added to DTA ? (I don't want his ability and I know you can't add the spy unit)
- It is possible for special side to have an another color than gold ?

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:
Some advice for the hard version ? It's a little difficult for me to test in hard with an AI allies so I can't know if my map in hard will be challenging and I want to avoid a punishing map.

I did play the mission on medium difficulty, so I can't say for sure how much more challenging it will be on hard.
One thing I noticed was that there were fairly few aircraft attacks and just one termite attack. You could add some scripted ORCA/Apache reinforcements to attack the players and adding a couple scripted reinforcements could add a good challenge as well (it might be necessary to make the Mobile Sensor Array buildable then however).
Sombracier wrote:
It's possible to make the AI allies can't sell her buildings too ?

That was the idea when I brought up the Chronosphere. This is done by adding a clone of the structure in Art.ini that doesn't have a buildup animation, which is the only way to also prevent AI players from being able to sell a structure.

My intention was to only make the Chronosphere unsellable, but it is possible to do the same thing for all other structures in the base. I'm not sure if this is a good idea however, since you might wanna be able to sell those structures when you're low on cash or one is about to be destroyed.
Sombracier wrote:
We don't build outside of the research facility (except for turret and pill box of course) so we only harvest on the north-east, the center have too many enemy's tanks to go, so we lost too many tanks to defend harvesters and our tanks are not always here because of mammoth tanks on the north and south. Maybe we should expand like you say.

The space towards the north of the gate is a bit tight (I only manage to squeeze 2 refineries in there), although it is possible to build one in the tiberium field as well by force-firing on a few tiberium patches with a tank to make space for it.
Just make sure you build a good number of turrets nearby so that you're able to take care of enemy units, even when you don't have any units of your own nearby.
Sombracier wrote:
By the way, he say the north gate of the research facility is a problem for harvester and defenses, what do you think of this ?

What exactly do you mean by this? If you mean that harvesters often move towards the enemy's defenses, that's indeed something that often happened to me as well.
The cause of this is most likely that when the tiberium towards the north-east runs out, the blue tiberium next to the enemy base is closest and your harvesters constantly try to get to it.
Sombracier wrote:
The sprite and sounds of the spy have been added to DTA ? (I don't want his ability and I know you can't add the spy unit)

Yes, they've been added: you can simply change the TechLevel for [SPY] to enable the unit.
Unless you plan to use it as an enemy unit however, it's best if you add Disguised=no to it or the AI won't be able to detect it at all.
Sombracier wrote:
It is possible for special side to have an another color than gold ?

There is a way to trick the game into changing the color for the Neutral/Special house (Neutral and Special will always share the same color however), but the client currently doesn't allow this. Maybe Rampastring will add this feature to the client in the future if you ask real nicely #Tongue

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by this? If you mean that harvesters often move towards the enemy's defenses, that's indeed something that often happened to me as well.
The cause of this is most likely that when the tiberium towards the north-east runs out, the blue tiberium next to the enemy base is closest and your harvesters constantly try to get to it.

Well...it's difficult to explain it in english...
My friend think the harvester lost many time to go to the north gate for tiberium and prefer to detroy some walls near of the refinery. He think I should move the north gate for a better defense too.

Quote:
One thing I noticed was that there were fairly few aircraft attacks and just one termite attack

The termite attack is not from reinforcement, but it's not a bad idea.

Quote:
There is a way to trick the game into changing the color for the Neutral/Special house (Neutral and Special will always share the same color however), but the client currently doesn't allow this. Maybe Rampastring will add this feature to the client in the future if you ask real nicely #Tongue

http://nsa38.casimages.com/img/2015/08/11/150811031123590115.png

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just played through the mission. Sorry for being late, I got captured by Touhou 15. Anyway, notes:

Generic / positive feedback:
- I found the mission easy, it definitely wasn't too hard even on Hard difficulty. As it is, it'd probably be the easiest DTA co-op mission. That's completely fine though, since DTA's current co-op missions are fairly difficult.
- The small airbases under stealth generators were a very nice touch. I never noticed them before I had destroyed the main enemy base.
- Terrain detailing was good, great especially considering it's your first DTA map. It's definitely within DTA's quality standards Smile
- Use of the map's space was great. The map didn't feel too small, and every place of the map was utilized by the mission.
- Usage of light posts was nice.

Suggestions / things to improve:
- At first, you should have a repeating text trigger that tells the player to head east towards the old base. On my first attempt I ran straight to north and got killed by some Mammoth tanks and Rocket launchers sitting on the enemy base.
- You should gain control of the base sooner than you do right now. It's confusing how you currently see the player-owned gate before getting the entire base on your control.
- The briefing and tutorial lines shouldn't mention GDI and Nod; as an Allied commander in the RA timeline, you don't know what GDI and Nod even are. I suggest replacing GDI and Nod with "unknown hostile forces" or something like that. The player should be able to figure out the rest. If you want to, I could revise the briefing and tutorial lines for you (it's necessary anyway because of your grammar; no offense meant).
- You should disable the enemy reinforcement triggers after they lose their Construction yards. It was a bit silly how the enemy kept receiving reinforcements after I destroyed their base; the reinforcements alone kept the enemy alive for a while.
(- As a note for possible future missions if you make more: While I generally dislike enemy reinforcements thrown right on your base (from the bottom-right corner), they were subtle enough on this mission to be nice. They didn't feel unfair as you could destroy them as long as you had any forces in your base. However, generally you should avoid it as it feels unfair to suddenly get hit by reinforcements that spawn very close to your base, it makes the mission more memorization-heavy than skill-based.)

Overally, the mission was fun, it's very well done and it'd be a great addition to DTA's list of co-op missions Smile

About that kitten, it's cute. I'll have to see, maybe I can code the feature in around September (I'm currently on vacation and don't have the client's source code with me).

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I just played through the mission. Sorry for being late, I got captured by Touhou 15.

You should try "Refrain Prism memories", "Diadra empty" and "Revolver360 reactor", these are my favorites.  Razz

Quote:
I found the mission easy

2 Hits ! Combo partner Bittah !
Quote:
it'd probably be the easiest DTA co-op mission

14 Hits ! Chain skill !
"Finish him !" (Maybe Lin Kuei Ominae for the final blow ? XD )

Joking aside, don't worry for being late, during this time I make a new present for you.

It's a new coop campaign, strongly inspired from the third red alert soviet mission, this time you will command dogs together. Because of the nature of this map, we can't play with an AI.
The map will be available soon with update of chrono hazard.

Quote:
- The small airbases under stealth generators were a very nice touch. I never noticed them before I had destroyed the main enemy base.

Thanks, if you capture the runway you can build A 10 (his price was reduced) and for helipad on the west, there is one NOD helipad and one GDI helipad, so you can have both helicopters.

Quote:
At first, you should have a repeating text trigger that tells the player to head east towards the old base. On my first attempt I ran straight to north and got killed by some Mammoth tanks and Rocket launchers sitting on the enemy base.

The briefing before launch the map say it's on the east, there is an unblurred path to the east on the map preview, when you launch the game the briefing say again it's on the east, there is a dirt road to help players, tiberium for prevent infantry to go north and mammoth to discourage players (You're a barbarian for attacking the mammoth ! XD).
I'll add the repeating text trigger, time 900 is enough ? (every 5min at 45 FPS)

Quote:
- You should gain control of the base sooner than you do right now. It's confusing how you currently see the player-owned gate before getting the entire base on your control.

Thanks, i'll move the celltags.

Quote:
- The briefing and tutorial lines shouldn't mention GDI and Nod; as an Allied commander in the RA timeline, you don't know what GDI and Nod even are.

So, what timeline is the singleplayer NOD mission "Eradicating the red " ?
I follow this timeline because GDI and soviet work together, so I assumed each sides know other sides and allies know GDI and NOD can't work together, so they understand it's because of the chronopshere.

Quote:
If you want to, I could revise the briefing and tutorial lines for you

You can modify all you want on my map (You should wait for the next update of my map), I just want two things :
- I want all my map remain unprotected (even if it's singleplayer), I want other players can see and learn how to make a map with more examples.
- I want players can turn on the "Rapid Resource Regrowth" option, because sometime it's fun to play a map at brain-less mode.  Razz (By the way, you should enable this option for the coop campaign "The experiment lab", the lack of tiberium is punishing on this map, 3 of my friends don't want to play on this map anymore because of this)

Quote:
it's necessary anyway because of your grammar; no offense meant

Yes I know, my english skill is bad, I just hope all of you can forgive me for that.

Quote:
You should disable the enemy reinforcement triggers after they lose their Construction yards.

With the event "7 Destroyed by any house" ? If player capture MCV the triggers for reinforcements aren't disable, right ?

Quote:
While I generally dislike enemy reinforcements thrown right on your base

You will hate Angel system...  Twisted Evil

Quote:
However, generally you should avoid it as it feels unfair to suddenly get hit by reinforcements that spawn very close to your base, it makes the mission more memorization-heavy than skill-based.

For this map, Bittah advise me to remove the South-East reinforcement, so don't worry, you will just have to say hello to 3 demo truck instead. Razz

Thanks for your feedback, it's usefull as expected.

PS : Tonight, I've heard command & conquer generals's menu theme on the TV (discovery channel).

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sombracier wrote:

Yes I know, my english skill is bad, I just hope all of you can forgive me for that.

You shouldn't feel bad about it, we all start somewhere Smile Besides your English is well understandable. I'd even say you've improved since your first post here #Tongue

Lurky lurker out.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You should try "Refrain Prism memories", "Diadra empty" and "Revolver360 reactor", these are my favorites. Razz

Maybe I should. I usually prefer my danmaku games simple though  Wink

Quote:
- I want all my map remain unprotected (even if it's singleplayer), I want other players can see and learn how to make a map with more examples.

Don't worry, all of our Co-op missions are unprotected anyway.

Quote:
- I want players can turn on the "Rapid Resource Regrowth" option, because sometime it's fun to play a map at brain-less mode.

It's your mission, so you're free to choose which options to leave available.

Quote:
I'll add the repeating text trigger, time 900 is enough ? (every 5min at 45 FPS)

I'd probably use 500 in-game seconds, considering that part of the mission is fairly short.

Quote:
With the event "7 Destroyed by any house" ? If player capture MCV the triggers for reinforcements aren't disable, right ?

I'd use event 48. To attach the event to the MCVs that you spawn, you'll need to attach the Tag of the trigger to the MCV team in the FinalSun Edit -> Teams view.

Quote:
..and mammoth to discourage players (You're a barbarian for attacking the mammoth ! XD).

Actually, the Mammoth tank attacked me before I even got to see it. Its (AI) guard range exceeds the sight range of all your starting units.

Quote:
So, what timeline is the singleplayer NOD mission "Eradicating the red " ?
I follow this timeline because GDI and soviet work together, so I assumed each sides know other sides and allies know GDI and NOD can't work together, so they understand it's because of the chronopshere.

Eradicating the Red happens in an undefined time frame, although probably around the same time as TD (or just a bit after it, considering Nod's Enhanced mode technology). The thing is that Allies won the war in Red Alert and formed GDI afterwards, so with GDI there's no Allies (unless your mission happens right at the time while GDI is being formed). While the defeated Soviet Union was also mixed into GDI, I thought that it'd be natural for the Soviet Union to retain some of its old bases (still watched and supplied by GDI) since it's a huge country. GDI and Nod are also newer than Allies and the Soviet Union, meaning that in Eradicating the Red, Nod know the SU from history, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Quote:
It's a new coop campaign, strongly inspired from the third red alert soviet mission, this time you will command dogs together. Because of the nature of this map, we can't play with an AI.
The map will be available soon with update of chrono hazard.

Looks interesting. We'll likely wait for your next update of Chrono Hazard, then put it in-game and release a new public update. You'll be credited for the mission, of course Smile

I changed the topic title btw.

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Was the Brotherhood of Nod not around for centuries and came out of hiding when tiberium arrived, or do you mean as faction.

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum