Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am
All times are UTC + 0
FAQ: "I flamed a n00b and my post disappeared!"
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [106 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
VW x frt
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@daTSchikinhed & Morpher: I'm sorry banshee ! Sad
I'm not trying bring that topic back! but that mod was not ripped-off Right?
I credited them i used stuff from! so that was not a rip-off! All right No Rip-off! I'm sorry i'm not trying to make flames Sad

Thanks to LazerAce7 for the kick-@$$ sig and avatar Smile
MSN Name: fridrikur@hotmail.com
People... i need help for TS Flying Blood.. add me at msn if u wan't to help

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If the assets are not from a public resource site (such as PIXELOPS or YR Argentina), you may not use them in your mod (nor derive work from them for your mod) unless the author has granted you permission in advance. As simple as that.
And if you are using other people's resources, you must credit them as the accompanying readme states.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

daTSchikinhed wrote:
Yo bansh.. you an me both know that mod was ripped.. but Im sorry.. this aint against you or nothing but I speak what I want about who I want at any time... I spoke what I thougt would get him to realize that he needs to help himself to his own creations.. not throwing other peoples stuff together in a stolen manner to get credit on what he calls a mod.. Dont call me a "n00b" when I was trying to disconcearn him from using other mods for his own glory.

I'm aware that the mod had many ripped items and I do not enforce anyone to say what I want this person to say. I think everyone is free to say whatever they want, but they'll have to face the consequences of what they say. Freedom with responsability. If you do inconsequent actions, even if the cause is fair, you are wrong. If you act like a n00b, that's what you may end labeling yourself. I believe people can deal with this kind of situation without lowering themselves with flames or any other lower attitude. You don't need to be false, nor rude. Be good, and if someone else isn't being, show them the good path. People who respect others will be respected.

And I don't wanna see this kind flame in PPM, really. If you run a forum, you expect it to be good, not a hell.

Last edited by Banshee on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't want PPM to be a hell.But the next time when
someone just dosn't get the point of what I am saying I will just leave the thread or ask upon the advice of another.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't mind noobs. I just hate the smartass people, who always put you down on all your goals and work. Saying you can't do that, or saying you cheated, or saying "you suck U fuckin n00b!". Little fuckers. Like WTF!? You try your hardesst, and you don't put them down. So WTF?!

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

j4m3sb0nd
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its only a problem when, as Banshee said, flaming occurs for no reason. If a 'noob' has done the wrong thing & used someones stuff without asking permission first, notify people, & tell the person they shouldnt be using it. Dont do it the wrong way & make yourself look bad by flaming, although you may definitely show your concern & frustration; Just dont let it result in something that puts you in the wrong category aswell.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr. Bond, U R totally correct. I couldn't have posted that any better.

j4m3sb0nd
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad you agree. Wink

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:

I'm aware that the mod had many ripped items and I do not enforce anyone to say what I want this person to say. I think everyone is free to say whatever they want, but if they'll have to face the consequences of what they say. Freedom with responsability. If you do inconsequent actions, even if the cause is fair, you are wrong. If you act like a n00b, that's what you may end labeling yourself. I believe people can deal with this kind of situation without lowering themselves with flames or any other lower attitude. You don't need to be false, nor rude. Be good, and if someone else isn't being, show them the good path. People who respect others will be respected.

Smile

You are God.

j4m3sb0nd
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We already knew Banshee was God. #Tongue

Very Happy

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wish I was a God Wink. Final Dawn would be ready by now Laughing.

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

j4m3sb0nd
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hahaha, well, that sort of is true. Wink

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dude, post some screenshots for FD, or somethin man. THIS MOD MUST BE FINISHED!!! I WANT TO COMMAND THOSE DAMMABLE CYBORGS, DAMMIT!!!!! DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Morpher wrote:
Personally argueing with bansh,well..Banshee has said what he thinks,im not going to argue.
From now on when we see a mod we do not like we will not bother with telling the person who made its flaws or bad bits only its good points.
Becuase some people can not take advice which indicates bad work,so why bother with them and get into trouble.

I for one Would hope that if i posted some work that sucks badly,needs work.. etc...That people would be honest about it..but without defremation of character would be a plus

Dethro
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Domonic, this really isn't the place, hell nowhere's the place to ask him that. He'll get around to it one of these years Wink

And Jon, although I fully agree with you there, please there's no need to resurrect old threads.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, guys... I know this is an one year old bump, but some recent events made me think that more people need to read the first post of this topic.

Remember, those who bash n00bs are also n00bs. Do not lower yourself.

bonzy_buddy
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I very much agree with you. It's very rare taht new commers here are welcomed. Indeed, most of them begin with two or three very silly questions but people who waste their time bashing them are just children to me.

Lightstorm
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i found that on other sites the only real noobs are those new to the internet, i have accounts on Tiberiumweb and Cl and OS-tan so i know the deal, i'm new to the forum but i act in in way that makes me seem as experianced if not more then most people, truth is i can't mod to save my life, but i know better then to ask stupid questions, people that ask things like that don't know what their doing, be nice to them, if you don't want to waste time explaining something direct them somewhere else. also one thing that would virtually eliminate all problems would be to just throw a topic together that exlains everything a n00b could possibly want, how to make an avatar, how sigs work, where to get modding programs. stick that somewhere easy to find and it would remove most problems, if someone asks just point them there.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lightstorm
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i see, still if there was a place to send all the n00bs no one would have to constantly tell them. and lol, C&C wiki.

friday-13th
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think some people here need to read this guide on the difrence of newnies and n00bs
http://www.runehq.com/RHQSpecialReportsView.php?id=00554
lol...please ignore the runescape game content but its basicly telling you the difrences and how to mainly act when you encounter newbs or noobs and how to handle with em.

rember,one who calls some one a noob is the nub Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
bonzy_buddy
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

by the way there are often newbies who get flamed and are called n00b in this forum.

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For a reason.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeh, newbs happen, you can't prevent it.
Even though some may deserve it, flaming them for it doesn't help anybody. It makes a bad reputation for the entire community,

The best thing is just to repeat yourself a million times to each and every repetitive newb question that is asked...

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, the best thing is to teach them to RTFM.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like to think that we're good respectable people here, realizing that not everyone is going to be uber leet at modding right off the bat.
For the most part, it's because newbies don't realize exactly how easy C&C modding really is. The ones who know automatically assume the person is too incompitent to understand.

The best thing is to give em a warm welcome and point em in the right direction, then most of the time after that, they'll pretty much learn the rest for themselves.

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well all i have to say in return to this topic is: All of you, where once 'n00b's' / 'newbs' too... Think about it.. Wink

Last edited by Aro on Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I disagree... There's a difference between newbs and n00bs Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, while theres the problem of noob flaming...

We need to also focus on the signatures...like X's name ( Name covered up to protect said persons's I.D. ) used their signature to call Y's Name ( again ) a transvestite, while this might not seem like much...It can open the doorway to a new way to flame people...

To put this in simple terms...

Keep the nasty comments, accusations, and the such to yourself, if you have nothing good to say, then don't post anything.

Also, please, show some bloody intelligence if your going to insult someone over their name changing...For the love of god. >.>

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edited for, Bittah... I see 'n00bs' and 'newbs' as the same meaning..
Simply because they sound the same.. But people get the basic idea of what they both mean...

I'll rephrase what i said above... :

All of you, where once 'newbs' too... And all of us have bumped into the 'n00bs', i'm sure anyone can go without flaming, snapping or bashing them... They are people just like you, and they do not deserve to be flamed at just because they make a mistake... Think about it.. Wink

As the person above me said... If you have nothing nice to say, why bother posting?

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
They are people just like you, and they do not deserve to be flamed at just because they make a mistake... Think about it.. Wink

There are exceptions to this rule. For example, when the n00b is receiving help but ignores it and continues to make mistakes over and over. We've had that happen from time to time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, that is a good point, IcySon... However, some people do abuse this rule... They say things that are just simply uncalled for...

But, lets take Obeliskoflight / Reborn23 / Brotherhood23 as an example...

He receives help... But does not take it in... It's like something goes in the one ear, and comes out the other... Now, even i admit... I have flamed him at one point, but simply because i had gotten so annoyed with trying to help him, i just gave up on him...

So, you are right, IcySon... Frustration tend's to build up quite easily on these forums...

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Yea, guys... I know this is an one year old bump, but some recent events made me think that more people need to read the first post of this topic.

Remember, those who bash n00bs are also n00bs. Do not lower yourself.

I recommend a sticky Banshee, to keep it at the top of the list.

As for the definitions:

newbe = New person who has lack of knowledge, usually results in innocent mistakes.

n00b = A person that is either new and trys to act like he knows everything and stuffs it up or has been around and still acts like a newbe/idiot.

I'm friendly too all people, i dont think ive flammed anyone, no matter how much i may have wanted to Twisted Evil

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stickied.

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Stickied.

took ya 3 years. why?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can change my mind, can't I?

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee can always change his mind Chiel Wink
Even I was once a newbie, I posted topics like "PAVemEnt" and went offtopic all the time, I was taught better slowly, helping them is essential, if they ignore it and start flaming give them warnings, that's my opinion.

Tom Cruise
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some1 send me a message wid a link to dis topic.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's terrible! You should have been sent to this topic!

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just passed by this topic by accident, and noticed that the original post lacks a definiton of "n00b", which is essential.

It fails to recognize that there are two groups of people who are new:

Newbs
Newbs, short for newbies, are people who noticed TS/RA2 are nice games to mod and would like to find out about it.
They usually do a lot of research themselves and often come with an at least basic understanding of things in general (ie IQ > 100). Newbs ask if they really don't get further, mostly due to a lack of experience, rather than stupidity or lack of engagement to do research on their own.

I build that definition on the example of myself, who silently joined YR modding in 2003. I mostly only gathered intel from all kinds of forums, the only question I ever really asked was about the 100 unit limit that was unknown to me, most of the rest I could find out for myself, especially thanks to DeeZire's tutorials and references and later ModEnc.

Newbs should be welcome anytime and should be helped at anytime. They will always appreciate it and eventually contribute.

N00bs
Unfortunately, that's not the kind of people refered to as "n00bs", as Banshee did in the original post.
N00bs are also people who discovered TS/RA2 to be a nice game and easily modable, but do so to boost their own ego or something and use it as an outlet of "power to modify" rather than creativity. At least often it appears to be that way.

They do not ask people in case they encountered a serious problem, they demand help whenever they hit on any problem. It's them who fill forums with questions that have been answered literally 10 years ago, because research is a big no for them.

The worst part is that, after having helped them and likely receiving no thanks but even more idiotic questions, they come up with either nothing or incredibly bad quality mods, often ripfests and compilations of things that do not fit together even a little bit.

[hr]
Summarizing that, they are bad people to talk to, mostly unappreciating and produce crap that helps nobody.
Those people deserve a bashing. Instead of banning people like DCoder who actually do something (and quite something) for the community, essentially keeping it alive much longer that it could have stayed without his work, you should get rid of those that spam this forum everyday with - as already mentioned - questions that DeeZire's guide answered 10 years ago.
Unfortunately, PPM did and does consist of quite some of those people, and if you look at what's transpiring here you see that many experienced modders have turned into trolls thanks to that fact. Stupidity is contageous.

I know you people hate bumping, feel free to ban me for it. Wink
Just thought I should mention it here, maybe the enlightment will fall on PPM after all.

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this topic old.

Problem is some people just get called i nOOb just because they are expected to know all the tutorial sites and other sites for grahpics etc...
Banshee is right some just never learn, ever.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
Well all i have to say in return to this topic is: All of you, where once 'n00b's' / 'newbs' too... Think about it.. Wink

OMG WHAT A NOOB

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro deserves a ban for calling Aro a n00b... wat? o_O

Anyway, nice definition of newb and n00b, pd. It deserves a place in the first post of this topic. Smile

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pd wrote:
Unfortunately, PPM did and does consist of quite some of those people, and if you look at what's transpiring here you see that many experienced modders have turned into trolls thanks to that fact. Stupidity is contageous.

Just to prove my point here: http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=386246

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
(...)This kind of post is an insult... even to the crap forum!(...)

Lol Pd, didn't knew that one lol. #Tongue (no joke lol)

Now really guys, heres its an place for "fun" (to distract and all, not that PPM is like 4 chan, but it can distract people from the stress of an mod and all) but primary we need to hold sometimes, its not everytime fun only lol.

Quote:
I know you people hate bumping, feel free to ban me for it.

I'm sure Banshee and most guys liked what you said, and him would not ban you for anything, i found what you said about PPM and all an "constructive feedback" and he would found that too, no need to ban for silly things. Very Happy

Quote:
(...)Instead of banning people like DCoder who actually do something(...)

Look, i can't really say from more than 3 past years how Dcoder acted and all, i like him and his work, he got my respect, but i remember Dcoder Playing more than helping here (still remember when someone broke the html or something and Dcoder helped in "play" (#Tongue) or something (can't remember, if someone knows, say it . Very Happy

Soo yeah, finishing it: PPM idiot level: OVER 9000%. Surprised and we need to hold some lol. Smile

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Over 9000 is overexaggerating, we do have our share of seasoned/old- I mean experienced members here.

Eldrei
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Who?

Edit: I feel sorry for the guy who locked this topic. Some n00bs are productive and brainy but they still fail at things.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If those n00bs (IDK who) were brainy and productive they'd be newbs and not n00bs, usa.

...well, given the correct circumstances, anyway~

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eldrei wrote:
Who?

Edit: I feel sorry for the guy who locked this topic. Some n00bs are productive and brainy but they still fail at things.

That doesn't give any reason at all for a group of people start acting like they had some sort of mental problems. Really.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [106 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!