Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:26 am
All times are UTC + 0
Ares 0.A? Still Ares 0.9?
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
mteechan
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:  Ares 0.A? Still Ares 0.9? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I extract the Ares 0.A files into the game directory to cover old 0.9 files, then launch the game. In the loading screen, it says version 0.A. However under the menu it's still 0.9. And I check the "loaded truck gives no crate" bug, find it still exist. So what's the problem?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check that you extracted all the files correctly, your virus scanner may be blocking/deleting some of the files.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
mteechan
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Check that you extracted all the files correctly, your virus scanner may be blocking/deleting some of the files.

I'm pretty sure I've extracted all the files correctly. I tested a few 0.A features and they all worked well. So I suppose that incorrect version number might be a typo, or developer forgets to change it from the older version. But the "loaded truck gives no crate" bug still confuses me.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just rechecked. The dll in the ares_0.A.zip is the correct file. It has the version number 16.1.1010 and identifies as Ares 0.A in the file properties and the game's loading screen and menu.

I also suspect that the virus scanner might be involved. Maybe the files are extracted into a temporary folder and before they are moved to the correct location, the anti virus blocks or deletes it, preventing the file to replace the old Ares.dll.

You can try to delete Ares.dll from the game's folder, and extract the archive again. If afterwards there is no Ares.dll, then this most likely is the reason.

Another reason could be that Windows compatibility functions make you believe the file was replaced, but silently the dll is written to another place. This happens on Windows 7 when you copy files into Program Files folders as normal users. If you then run the game as admin, the original files will be used, not the ones a normal user tried to copy. Though, if you run the game as normal user, you should see your copied files as if the copy was successful. It's complicated.

mteechan
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
I just rechecked. The dll in the ares_0.A.zip is the correct file. It has the version number 16.1.1010 and identifies as Ares 0.A in the file properties and the game's loading screen and menu.

I also suspect that the virus scanner might be involved. Maybe the files are extracted into a temporary folder and before they are moved to the correct location, the anti virus blocks or deletes it, preventing the file to replace the old Ares.dll.

You can try to delete Ares.dll from the game's folder, and extract the archive again. If afterwards there is no Ares.dll, then this most likely is the reason.

Another reason could be that Windows compatibility functions make you believe the file was replaced, but silently the dll is written to another place. This happens on Windows 7 when you copy files into Program Files folders as normal users. If you then run the game as admin, the original files will be used, not the ones a normal user tried to copy. Though, if you run the game as normal user, you should see your copied files as if the copy was successful. It's complicated.

I don't know what's going on with my game.

First I have both win8.1 and win7 installed on my computer. I run the game under win7 (because this game is problematic with win8+). The game folder is in neither system partition and I have no virus scanner installed on win7. I had ares 0.9 installed before, and had tweaking around with the ini files a lot. But overall the game was quite stable. Then I stopped playing the game for about half a year, which means I also didn't start the win7 for that time.

Now, 6 months from my last running the game, I extracted the ares 0.a files into a folder. Then copy the files to the game folder to replace old ares 0.9 files. Now there are some problems. First as I mentioned before, some bugs still exist and there is "ares 0.9" under game menu. But some new features also function well. Second, which is the most weird, I get *IE* whenever I deploy my MCV. I then restored the 0.9 files and found that the IE still happened. The message box says something about "bad cameo count".

I really don't know what to do now. Maybe I'll reinstall the game next time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon