Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Command Line Arguments
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:  Command Line Arguments Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm am unable to get any of the Ares Command Line Arguments to work, I've tried multiple methods, combinations & versions of Ares (0.1-0.9) without any success. I'm able to get the CLAs for other programs to work without any problems tho. I think maybe my old WinXP system just doesn't like the way Ares launches via Syringe & gets confused about what to do with the CLA.

Is anyone one else having similar issues?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
MustaphaTR
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm using -LOG -LOG-CSF and -SPEED-CONTROL(That's Orginal not ares) always with no problem. I also use -AI-CONTROL sometimes are you should you didn't do a typo at aywhere. I'm also using XP. Here is my RunAres.bat.

Code:
Syringe "gamemd.exe" -LOG -LOG-CSF -SPEEDCONTROL %*

Generals Alpha: http://www.moddb.com/mods/generals-alpha
Romanov's Vengeange: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've tried:

Upper case
    Lower case
    Both with & without dashes
    Putting them at the beginning, middle & end of the file
    Putting them in quotation marks
    Specifying each one with %1, %2, %3, etc
    Tried different versions of Ares between 0.1 & 0.A
    All of the above via the address bar, batch file & short cut to the batch file
    Trying various compatibility modes on the related files
    Tried most of the above with different installations of RA2 on different drives.

Nothing works... Removing Ares & using NPatch's CLAs does work tho.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use
Code:
Syringe "gamemd.exe" -log -cd -nologo -win %*

well there is a lot of ways to use CLA
you can make a shortcut of syringe.exe,
then move it to your desktop,
right click on it then choose properties from the menu,  
a properties window should open ,
choose "shortcut" tab (it should be selected by default)
in target textbox there is the destination of syringe.exe
example from my mod

"E:\Mods\War Of The World\Beta 1\Syringe.exe"

add the arguments next to this as

"E:\Mods\War Of The World\Beta 1\Syringe.exe" "gamemd.exe" -log -cd -nologo -win

be sure to add "gamemd.exe" to the target then your mod should fire up with ares.

----------------------
win xp is the most suitable windows to make & run mods without issues. your problem isn't with your windows, you may did something wrong.
----------------------
you may need to specify the problem that you are facing.
if the game doesn't work with ares "ares immediately close after launch" then you are using a hacked version.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Mig - Possibly try an older syringe?
(Yes I do have an archive)

Syringe.zip
 Description:
From 2008.

Download
 Filename:  Syringe.zip
 Filesize:  75.48 KB
 Downloaded:  1 Time(s)

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could it be administrator priveleges, anti-virus software?
Seems to be a specific issue to Syringe, and because it does do some 'not standard' stuff, it could be releated to that.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater: Can you run it again, passing the command line arguments as you always do, then look into syringe.log? It should tell you what command line arguments it received, and which it passed to the game.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

try to place in your bat
cd /d %0\..
as command before you run the syringe line
e.g.
Code:
cd /d %0\..
Syringe "gamemd.exe" CLAs bla bla

when using "run as admin", bat files can lose the information about the current folder and instead are somewhere located in windows system folders.
Maybe due to this it also loses the info about the CLAs.
With that line added, it first goes back to the current folder and then runs the command from there as usual.

Though the more i think about it, it then shouldn't start in the first place.
Hmm, very strange.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@4StarGeneral: Thx but I already tried with older versions of Ares/syringe.

@RP/LKO: I'm using Windows XP which doesn't have separate admin options #Tongue

@AlexB: The log shows;
WinMain: lpCmdLine = ""gamemd.exe" -CD -LOG -LOG-CSF "
WinMain: SyringeDebugger::Run(" -CD -LOG -LOG-CSF ");

mevitar
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What exactly happens? What is the prompt you get? Does anything pop-up at all?

Command line arguments seem fine, so it has to be something else (even though you seem to have an empty space after -LOG-CSF, i doubt it's causing any problems #Tongue ).

BTW, are you sure you have all the necessary files in the folder for the game to run with no-CD mode?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With the CLAs being passed along, i can only assume that Ares has trouble to write the log files. Do you use UNC paths which Ares might not understand?

Though you wrote the log shows you the passed along CLAs, so what exactly isn't working?
From what i've read, LOG-CSF shouldn't do anything if all your labels exist in your CSF
and the other 2 options shouldn't do anything instantly visible too.
Do you still have to insert the CD even when you use the CD argument?

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-LOG enables debug.log writing. If that's not instantly visible then I dunno what is. -LOG-CSF can't even work without it I suppose.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I've managed to get it working by adding a random character before -CD!?

It seams the game was ignoring the first CLA, so if I use "-CD -LOG -LOG-CSF" the game couldn't find the CD & if I used "-LOG -LOG-CSF" I wouldn't get a log file. But I noticed that if I used "-CD -LOG -LOG-CSF" with the CD in the drive the log worked!

Realising that I tried "-WORKGODDAMMOFOCLA -CD -LOG -LOG-CSF" which worked Very Happy further testing showed that any single random character would also work, as long as there is a space between it & -CD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon