Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Poor pathfinding ruining campaigns
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
thehx
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject:  Poor pathfinding ruining campaigns Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On maps containing narrow passages (e.g. soviet campaign 2,3, Nod mission "Eradicating the Red"), packs of units easily get stuck on bridges or in narrow passages, the next instance of the corresponding teamtype tailing them shortly after, the line grows...

This usually makes the campaign easier: in "Eradicating the red", the northwest route to my base got blocked almost since the mission start, so first I took out all six factories w/ termites, then I accurately prepared an invasion to the central soviet base, engies, stealth-gen, tech-up for soviets (hello mammoths, hello second nuke, hello v2s) and then ("kaboom? kabooom?") the task became easier.

The problem is, my fairly good laptop shown me around 5 or 10 fps the whole game. That is, because the whole route was filled with stuck mammoths, v2s, ...
Then I built a MAD tank and brought it near that swarm. Thus, the "Storm in the bottle" operation began ("...yes we go kaboom" ©)

I don't even know what could be done to prevent this, as pathfinding is not something you can easily replace or change. At the very least, perhaps, the bridges can be made bigger?

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't seen it personally on Creeping Destruction missions 2 and 3, and those are fairly short missions anyway so I doubt it's a serious issue there.

I got it on Eradicating the Red as well, although it wasn't that severe (some few dozen tanks got stuck on some forests, but I still got swarmed with plenty of units - and the map ran at normal speed). I guess I could try to remove some trees and other obstacles on the map to widen the passages and make the map lighter for the pathfinding algorithm.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are these the default AI attack scripts or some custom ones made in the map?
Because the units getting stuck usually happens if a hit AI unit retreats and then moves against the flow of attacking units,
it could help to have them follow a Suicide taskforce until near the players base and then switch to the more clever hit&run behaviour.
This way they wouldn't try to retreat when inside the narrow passage.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

thehx
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here, check out the attachments!

sweet.png
 Description:
Sweet, isn't it? ^_^
 Filesize:  1.47 MB
 Viewed:  1619 Time(s)

sweet.png

SAVE1796.SAV
 Description:
And you can check out the savegame too!

Download
 Filename:  SAVE1796.SAV
 Filesize:  1.62 MB
 Downloaded:  5 Time(s)

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uhh, that's fairly extreme. I'll have to check out the savegame and figure out how to make it less likely.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there an invisible barrier to the left?
Those mammoths facing south, with turrets facing south east seem to be blocked there without anything visible in their way.

In TD it helped a lot to give every 200 timeunits an "All to Hunt" command on all AI units on the map. It made them all move towards the player and thus dissolve any blocked, standing or sleeping units.
Maybe something like this could be done here too. A general Hunt command using the highest priority and fired every few hundred frames.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum