Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 am
All times are UTC + 0
Miggy's Workbench
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 5 [215 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject:  Miggy's Workbench Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've made a new type of terrain tile that can self LAT to any other terrain!

For those that dont know LAT tiles are used to connect the basic grass tiles to the four other types of terrain (rough grass, dark grass, sand & pavement, etc). The game/FA2 will automatically place the LAT tiles between the different types of terrain creating a smooth transition. Any new terrain and LAT tiles you add tho will have to be manually placed, which can take an agonisingly long time. This new tile design does away with the standard LAT system tho & replaces it with an incredibly simple design that I'm sure many have thought about in the past, but AFAIK I'm the first to implement.

So what did I do? Well instead of using the standard diamond/square tile shape I made some tiles like this:  

Which when put ingame:

While not as smooth looking as the standard LAT system it can be used to make multiple easy to use variants in minutes. I will be using this in D-day to make light & dark variants of the main grass, mud, sand & pavement terrain, maybe more.

If anyone is interested in making similar tiles for their mod? I'll write a tutorial with samples tiles.

Last edited by Mig Eater on Sun May 01, 2016 8:25 am; edited 3 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn, now this looks cool.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

excellent work.

Do you noticed any issues with the render layers? Since they use extra graphics (i assume) to go beyond the cell foundation, do they still work fine with objects behind them?
e.g. a big flat building (like Bib) that is to be shown on the lowest render layer might have these tiles shown through the building on some places

Do you set the z-data manually for these tiles?
One idea i have for quite some time is creating a special high grass tile, with custom z-data, so some of the higher grass culms are on a higher render layer and thus rendered in front of units (like cliffs are rendered in front of units too). Thus giving the impression of the units actually moving through the grass and not only on top of it.

Since TerrainTypes like trees can cause some lag if a lot are used (e.g. a big forest map), it might be also an idea to create trees with tiles.
Like cliffs, they would also cover objects behind them, but i assume they wouldn't stress the engine that much.
Instead of loading the tiles tmp, then the trees SHP + the trees shadow, the game would have to load the tmp only.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a lot of problems the layering, it took me several days of trial & error to fix them. In the end I had to make custom Z-data for the new ties as well as the original grass. I found the size of the extra image had to be limited or it would render over bibs too.

The only issue I couldn't fix is that the edge of tiles sometimes renders on top of a buildings shadow, mainly if the building is using a large anim with a shadow (a huge radar dish etc). I did actually find a fix but it caused worse layering problems tho. It's just a few pixels on a few buildings, which I can personally live with.

My first test ended with some of the grass rendered over units, it looked very cool but the grass also rendered on top of buildings too so it wasn't really usable.

Using tmp for trees is plausible and would need some testing but IMO it restricts where you can place them. You could also attach the trees to a tile as an anim, you wouldn't need to do any graphical work as you can code it to use the original tree gfx.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it extends more than the diamond shape, it may or may not be fit for TS, as it has in-game deformation.

If you deform in FA2, how does it behave? Does it look extended over the edge?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When they are placed at the top of an elevation the extra image goes over the edge, if they are next to the bottom the ramp get rendered on top of the extra image.

In TS this could cause problems but it could be used for non-deformable terrain such as pavement or water. In RA2 it's just a mater of not placing the tiles directly next to elevations.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's an interesting idea, but it might be overkill if it's only a solution to make mapping easier.

For DTA I also added more LATs, but when using them, I just edit the theater INI files and replace an existing LAT with the one I want to use under the [General] section to make FinalSun's own AutoLAT system do the work. I'd expect that this works for FinalAlert2 as well.

Edit:
You could also rename the LAT-related keys under [General] in FA2's EXE to something else with a HEX editor. This way the original LAT keys only use the game's own AutoLAT system (meaning that they'll look blocky in FA2, but they'll still look correct ingame) and you'll have a set of new keys for LATs that'll instead only use FA2's own AutoLAT system. This effectively doubles the amount of LATs you can use in the mod, without requiring mappers to edit the theater INI files every time want to use the new LATs (unless of course you create too many LATs).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a bit like when you started to give DTA non-LAT pavement
and i suggested using extra graphics to make the border less sharp with random pixel

or use a teeth shape border

I think such a LAT has quite some advantages over the normal LAT.
Mainly you could use it for an additional buildable LAT, while all others are already used

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dark pavement test.

lat3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  777.44 KB
 Viewed:  11456 Time(s)

lat3.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

blends in very nice. Approved!

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm actually really surprised how well they blend together, I was expecting it to look really pixely.

lat4.png
 Description:
Light & dark mud...
 Filesize:  417.23 KB
 Viewed:  11431 Time(s)

lat4.png

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks excellent on flat ground without buildings on the edges like you say, but with the weird artifacts as described, this could make a compelling water LAT system when meeting shores...?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had some more layering issues, this time with overlays. I worked on the Z-data some more & managed to fix the overlays & also the issues with building shadows that I mentioned earlier. I've now tested this with all map elements & cant find any more layering problems. In order to get this to fully work tho I need to modify the Z-data of every tile in D-day...

@G-E: I plan to use this to make light & dark water tiles to simulate depth but it's not detailed enough to be used as beach/shore LAT system.  

I'm thinking about moving this topic to the media hut & changing it to a general Miggy's work thread, thoughts?

Edit: Added some more tiles & tested them along with some water.

lat5.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.21 MB
 Viewed:  11385 Time(s)

lat5.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, can be moved to media hut imo.

With water it looks ok, but not really nice. The bright brown pixel are too visible.
Maybe the other way round with a water tile with random extra graphic pixel works better. Then don't use too many single random pixel on the water tile and instead a more smooth border with random tiny puddles of water the size of 2-7 pixel. Those small puddles would blend in fine in water and along shores create a more natural transition from water to land.

Attached a simple sketch. Border still needs to be more random and detailed.

watertile_example.png
 Description:
a simple sketch how the water tile border could be
 Filesize:  790 Bytes
 Viewed:  11380 Time(s)

watertile_example.png

Public SHPs

Tools

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I brought up water because I've been pondering for some time now to create something like a continental shelf, where shore tiles and some basic water tiles appear as shallows, and a whole new set of deep water tiles.

Show us an example of the Z-data if you don't mind Smile

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's amazing that after so many years of modding, we're still making neat discoveries and improving an aging engine so much. Incredible work MiG.

XxpeddyxX
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this looks really good actually. Also can I just say that I love D-Day, really nice on the eyes.

ayylmao on Discord

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@LKO: I might make some muddy swamp tiles using your suggestion, for the normal water tho I prefer to use the standard shore type tiles.

@G-E: Z-data... Left is the main tile, every tile that will interact with these new LATs needs to use this Z-data, Right is the extra image. Regarding the size/shape, if I made the extra image go more then 3 pixels above the main tile the extra lines would be rendered over bibs, overlays & shadows, the width & bottom can be made larger tho. Also of note is that the red colour isn't used as the typical "transparent" colour but its instead used for the bottom layer.

lat_z.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.64 KB
 Viewed:  11318 Time(s)

lat_z.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, with the water changed in the suggested way, you can still use the normal shores. but this would also offer better looking direct water/ground transitions without shores.

Also consider: when using such water, you could create water areas ingame via triggered ToTile buildings.
Would surely look great if a destroyed dam suddenly widens the river at the bottom by 5 cells on each side.
Or you create a map with heavy rain (map wide anim) and then spawn randomly water areas.

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Intresting idea Smile Well I guess there is no harm in making them, might be handy later on.

Here is something else I made recently, a correctly scaled football field!

football.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Viewed:  11283 Time(s)

football.png

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Awesome

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That football pitch looks really nice, can see a battle taking place there. The middle line makes me think I'm seeing double though, it's a bit too blurry I think.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
@G-E: Z-data... Left is the main tile, every tile that will interact with these new LATs needs to use this Z-data, Right is the extra image. Regarding the size/shape, if I made the extra image go more then 3 pixels above the main tile the extra lines would be rendered over bibs, overlays & shadows, the width & bottom can be made larger tho. Also of note is that the red colour isn't used as the typical "transparent" colour but its instead used for the bottom layer.

That's what I was thinking you'd do, but I'm surprised by how you use the gradient on the main tile...

Excellent work (on the field too) I must say Smile

How does it affect shadows?

Nooze
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very interesting!

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
How does it affect shadows?

I presume you mean the extra image? It gets rendered on top of the shadow, so it doesn't get darkened etc.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is really neat! Curious whats the process involved ^^.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks great , and closer to how games like Sudden Strike and Blitzkrieg draw their terrain.

I hope something like this is implemented for OpenRA

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something like what? Pretty certain this can be implemented as-is, maybe without the TMP zdata tricks even.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blitzkrieg is my largest source of inspiration for D-day & the bar for which I generally aim for.

As Graion said I'm pretty sure this can easily be done in OpenRA.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Incredible. Looking forward to the tutorial.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are several sets of overlays I've been working on, they contain: small & large supply boxes, ammunition crates, barrels, sacks, various construction equipment, misc urban objects, animal houses, grave stones, temple shrine/monuments, misc debris & military barriers.

I'm also working on several sets of: tall grass, flowers, building rubble, lamp posts & road signs.

I made these specifically for D-day's WW2 theme in mind but I have also offered them to the Twisted Insurrection team. So expect to see some of them in everyone's favourite wasteland simulator in the near future. Note to LKO: I made the barrels, sacks & cable drums smaller as per your suggestion.

overlay03.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.5 KB
 Viewed:  10970 Time(s)

overlay03.png

Last edited by Mig Eater on Wed May 04, 2016 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you Smile

they all look great. Approved!

Public SHPs

Tools

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha veg gardens and chicken coops nice!

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent terrain and doodads  /me does a little dance

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I added a set of oil drums & jerry cans, more tank traps/barricades & larger debris fields.

I've run out of ideas & space, so I'll stop & convert them to shp now #Tongue

overlay04.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  397.56 KB
 Viewed:  10825 Time(s)

overlay04.png

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really good stuff.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Continuing on with terrain here are is a set of ground level & over head industrial pipes. I actually made these about 6 months ago & then forgot about them XD

pipetrain.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1000.66 KB
 Viewed:  10666 Time(s)

pipetrain.png

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For some reason the layout of that Preview reminds me of Sledge's Area in Borderlands 1...  Laughing  Nice work though.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn I've been thinking of doing exactly this since I started my terrain expansion...

Are you using overlays for any of this? I had the idea that overlays would work nicely with some terrain pieces for cliff or hill transitions?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The ground level pipes are a wall overlay, the high ones are terrain objects.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Double post for more new D-day terrainess, with modular garrisonable trenches.

I will be putting these to use in a new WW1 style map featuring a network of trenches on a muddy cratered battlefield.

trench.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  708.96 KB
 Viewed:  10586 Time(s)

trench.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

these are some fine atmospheric additions
nice job

i think the only thing left is some barbed wire Wink

Public SHPs

Tools

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The wood slats should protrude above ground level with more sandbags on the outside for the trenches to be more authentic no?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@LKO:I made some barbedwire many years ago but it's not very good & I plan to replace it (& many other walls) in the near future.

@G-E:There are many variables that decide the size, layout & materials used in a trench, as such there is no one single historically accurate design.

I did add sandbags to the garrison frames tho, however the tag IsPassable=yes disables their usage.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could use terrain movement types to allow tanks to cross but not infantry (or wheeled vehicles) can't you?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The trenches are garrisonable buildings so no...

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is a garrisonable building with Bib=yes passable for vehicles?

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bibs dont work with 1x1 buildings, they dont use garrison frames either. I also tried NumberImpassableRows=0 without any luck.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this different in RA2?

In TS i created a 1x1 building, gave it Bib=yes and the whole thing was passable. Bib=yes tells the game to make the most south east row of cells passable of a building, regardless of the foundations size.
So 1x1, 1x2, 1x3 can be all made completely passable for vehicles with Bib=yes.

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

According to the ModEnc page it doesn't work but I just tested it myself & it does :/

Anyway, further testing has show that the tag IsTrench was the problem & not IsPassable. So garrison frames are working now but trench to trench movement isn't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 5 [215 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon