Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:30 am
All times are UTC + 0
Any chance for a long-smooth option?
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject:  Any chance for a long-smooth option?
Subject description: (like for hull/fuselage curvature)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VXLSE's auto-normals do pretty well when there are small features, or face transitions of 1-2 pixels, but not when the transition is over 3+ pixels.

Since computation power is relatively free, can we add another auto-normals option based on whichever makes most sense, but biases gradual transitions across 5-7 or so pixels on a layer (perhaps allow us to choose threshold and target smoothness).

Then repeat that process once for each axis. If we could even choose which of the 3 axes to smooth this way, we could specify the slices to be from the TOP for a large vessel, since we would have no need to smooth from the SIDE, and we could choose a more aggressive smoother from FRONT. I think this could go a long way to bridging the quality gap to converted 3d models.

I think it makes the most sense to do the calculations as individual layers, smoothing the direction of normals to prevent jaggies in arcs.

The settings I envision are much like the convo we had ages ago about vxl->3d rendering, using a threshold to determine what counts as a feature vs a slope. Either a threshold of dots to include, or a threshold for transition depth...

Thoughts?

charty.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.48 KB
 Viewed:  3369 Time(s)

charty.jpg

chartybee.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.29 KB
 Viewed:  3369 Time(s)

chartybee.jpg

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You need the knowledge of context to do it in a proper way. This is part of my PhD thesis and I'll still take a long time to finish it.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well this is why I suggest the threshold setting for the user to play with, and using it on a single layer. Then the context is whatever the user decides works best.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum