Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am
All times are UTC + 0
[8] Tiberium Rig
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:  [8] Tiberium Rig
Subject description: By Rampastring
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A new map to be included in DTA 1.15.

tiberium_rig.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  821.85 KB
 Viewed:  3044 Time(s)

tiberium_rig.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

interesting layout
I like that there is no fast way on top of the platform.
Is building allowed on the platform? Might be good to disallow it there.

Is it naval?

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Making the platform unbuildable sounds like a good suggestion. At least right now it's possible to build on the platform, but in matches between human players it'll likely result in everyone base-rushing towards the center right away. Making the platform unbuildable would make the corners more important. On the other hand there's that the platform should also look visually unbuildable if it is made unbuildable..

It's not naval, the river route is too narrow and I didn't consider making it bigger. When I originally made this map I wasn't aware that it's possible to bypass the 64-tunnel limitation, so in the design phase there simply wasn't enough tunnels for a naval route.

Also, if it was naval, it would probably look a bit too much like Dante's Desert #Tongue

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If all platforms are unbuildable, it would be distinctive enough imo. After all it's different to the normal grass ground.
Though then the tiberium in the center might need a higher value, making it worth to harvest there with the long routes from the corners.
Some capturable civilian outposts at the corners might be good too, so you can build refs there without moving the mcv. The long routes would still make the harvs on them quite vulnerable, making an early corner capture not a 100% safe investment.

Maybe as the next bigger terrain project, some kind of metal grid high platform would be good (like the metal gangways in starcraft 1 space platform maps). Something that looks strong enough to carry tanks but too weak for buildings.

^Rampastein wrote:
When I originally made this map I wasn't aware that it's possible to bypass the 64-tunnel limitation

you can bypass it? how?

Public SHPs

Tools

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
^Rampastein wrote:
When I originally made this map I wasn't aware that it's possible to bypass the 64-tunnel limitation

you can bypass it? how?

Well, it's not a complete "bypass", but a partial one.

While making this map I noticed that tunnels have to be at least 3 cells wide, or pathfinding through them won't work consistently. It was very problematic on this map, because those 64 tunnels weren't enough for having 3-cell wide tunnel routes everywhere on this map.

Now, as you likely know, you can add more than 64 tunnels into the map. The extra tunnels will just be broken; units can move through them, but they'll turn invisible and crash the game when doing certain actions (like when an invisible harvester tries to unload to a refinery).

As a fix for this, it is possible to place broken tunnels next to working tunnels, and then block them with invisible structures. This way pathfinding will still work, but units will always enter the working tunnel. This map has some 1-cell-wide tunnels that are actually 3-cell-wide, but the 2 extra tunnels are actually broken and blocked.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh. On my tests in the past, i thought the game simply skips the tunnels after index 127. Didn't notice that they are actually there but broken.

Public SHPs

Tools

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The limitation itself actually can't be bypassed, but I did figure out a way to get narrow tunnels to work. Normally units refuse to enter tunnels that aren't at least 3 cells wide when they lead to an enclosed area and having to make all tunnels this wide easily took this map's total number of tunnels over 64.

Right now most tunnels (aside from those between the players/ore) are actually 2 cells wide now and to make that work I added additional tunnel entrance overlay next to all existing ones and and made another tunnel. As you'd expect, most of these new tunnels have indexes that go over 127 and thus are "broken" (units that try to enter them just turn invisible and get stuck).
So I then blocked the entrances of all of these new (mostly broken) tunnels with an invisible structure so that units can't enter them and this still allowed the remaining 2 cells of the tunnel to work perfectly.
The tunnel entrance (overlay in this case) does need to be present for this to work and the invisible structure you use to block it with needs to be turned invisible via Image=none (I consistently got crashes with InvisibleInGame=yes and I also got one with Invisible=yes once).

Edit: ninja'd Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon