Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Force AI to fire SW on its own group of units?
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Frank123
Medic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject:  Force AI to fire SW on its own group of units? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to force AI to fire a super weapon on its own group of units... So I add these tags:
SW.AITargeting=PsychicDominator
SW.AIRequiresHouse=owner
I also tried to add SW.AIRequiresTarget=units
But AI sometimes doesn't fire it or just fires it on a single unit randomly..
Any advices?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not possible to make the AI specifically group units together & fire a super weapon at them, like the Chrono Sphere or Iron Curtain etc. The most reliable way of making the AI target it's own units that I have found tho is by using SW.AITargeting=Base. Which generally hits the pool of units the AI is gathering in the middle of their base before attacking. Of course that might not be suitable depending on what type of super weapon you are making.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
XxpeddyxX
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Add designators to the superweapon so the AI only fires at those specific units.

ayylmao on Discord

Frank123
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for replying!
As mentioned in Ares documentation, SW.AITargeting=PsychicDominator will select a large group of unit to fire on. In my case, there are many large groups of unit in AI base or in the battlefield but I don't know why AI does not choose them to fire its SW.
In short, I want AI to fire it SW on its own units just like it uses Psychic dominator special on enemies (Because my SW will increase units' speed and damage).

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the Ares documentation:
    PsychicDominator
    Selects the valid target that has the most enemy units in Cell Spread range 3 nearby that can be permanently mind-controlled.

Note that it states it only works on enemy units that can be mind-controlled. The AI's own units don't meet either of this criteria, thus it wont use the super weapon as you want.

Nearly all of the super weapon types are specifically designed to be used offensively by the AI & the few that aren't are special cases. As such there is no way to reliably make the AI target it's own units. As I suggested SW.AITargeting=Base will make the AI fire the super weapon at the center of it's own base where it usually gathers units before attack. XxpeddyxX's suggested of using Designators should help in making the AI fire the super weapon at or around their units too, I haven't personally tried that yet tho so I cant comment on it's effectiveness tho.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your way of thinking with those settings is good but there are combinations more reliable than the others. For example, for a support power that buffs your infantry, this one is a very reliable setting.

SW.AITargeting=GeneticMutator
SW.AIRequiresTarget=infantry
SW.AIRequiresHouse=team

The AI will most likely use this power on team's infantry whenever there's enemy infantry nearby, so it's used half-properly. It's still used to buff its or ally's infantry but mostly in combat situations. I think Psychic Dominator AITargeting type is less reliable than GeneticMutator though. This is one set that I have which uses it:

SW.AITargeting=PsychicDominator
SW.AIRequiresTarget=buildings
SW.AIRequiresHouse=team

This is used for a rapid structure repair support power. I have noticed that the AI uses this one quite effectively, be it on its own base during an attack or its ally buildings.

My guess is that with the current settings available there's only a bunch of situations that the AI would properly use its SWs in and they mostly rely on enemy presence.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The AI will hold off firing superweapons until the a valid designator is in range of its intended target (in this case, the center of base). Therefore, with a bit of smart AI editing, you can make the AI (sort of) reliably fire a psychic dominator on friendly units that gather around its base only when the units are in range.

1. You need one unit in a group to be the designator. Say, a tesla trooper.

2. have the unit be the penultimate, or perhaps third or fourth from last, unit in an AI taskforce.

3. SW that targets Base center, designator being SHK, with a small deferment.

What will happen is that the AI will fire the SW when a shock trooper is in range of the base center (which will happen when the TF is being built). The deferment may give time for the unit to actually reach the base center in time for the SW.

As I said before, setting a designator won't make the AI change its targeting priorities. It'll still only fire when a valid target is found, but the designator will limit that to only valid targets within the designator's range, thus stopping it from firing when the base center is empty, for instance.

EDIT, I notice Speeder's post.

I suggest testing that configuration with an infantry designator. It should theoretically work.

Frank123
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My SW only buffs vehicles, not infantry, so I think I can't use the Genetic Mutator targeting type as Speeder said. Anyway, thank you for replying!

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Frank123 wrote:
My SW only buffs vehicles, not infantry, so I think I can't use the Genetic Mutator targeting type as Speeder said. Anyway, thank you for replying!

So do this instead:

SW.AITargeting=GeneticMutator
SW.AIRequiresTarget=units
SW.AIRequiresHouse=team

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GeneticMutator targeting type does not consider vehicles as targets tho. You'd need to try using PsychicDominator or something else, even if it's going to be less reliable.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon