Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Beta Testing? How would be the best way?
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject:  Beta Testing? How would be the best way? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

People, I need your input here. What would be the best way to do the beta testing. I've got 3 suggestions here, just point me out the best, or if you have another, post here as well...

[1]: Public Beta Testing through "Release Candidate versions" ->I would post the nearly over versions here, so everyone would be able to use it, but I won't: offer direct support, be responsible for any shp file getting fucked up, be able to assure you that RC candidates are bug less. And sometimes, some features wouldnt be finished as well, until the final version.

[2]: Private Beta Testing when features are done -> The original idea that Stucuk and I had is that when things are done, we would get up to 10 beta testers to aid us to find the stealth bugs...

[3]: Take your time and release when it's really done -> I'd work on it until everything is fully working and it's fully tested... So, the final version would be quite reliable, but it would take some time...

[1], [2] or [3]? Or other? Post here.... I am aware some of you cant wait any longer for this...

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would say option 1, clearly state that it's BETA, and don't distribute it on sites.

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I say 2 to keep idiots from putting it on sites even though we tell them not to.

Maybe we can have more than 10 testers?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

maybe we can...

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Fremen5
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd choose 2...

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1 is stupid, b4 i did beta testing with vxlse i released builds that had some bad bugs in them, and in programming u never want to release without the pogram being FULLY(by several ppl) tested.

3 is pointless too, 1 person can't fully test a program, i checked VXLSE very well, yet other ppl still found bugs n errors.

2 is the only logical choice, it keeps the versions clean, with the least bugs being passed to the public, it is also a VERY good process for getting ideas on improvements and extra features, i proberly got more ideas from ppl who were in the beta test, when they were in it then when there was no beta test.

I would suggest u make a "mode" in BS SHP Builder which can b turned on and off, and a test build version constant, when the testbuidl mode is on all the things that show the version would have for example TB v1.0 on the end of them so u can keep precise track of the exact version ppl who beta test have (increasing each TB each time u give ANYONE a version (thats different to the last)).

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think stucuk is right, 1) and 3) wouldn't work.

NW4ever
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I say that you should release it as a "PUBLIC Beta Testing" when the features are done and have something like a TRIAL version. Make it after 30 days or somethin' not to work. The BEST solution for the BEST program Smile

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trials are what u do with comercial software, so ppl can try ur product b4 buying them............ there isn't a point to trials with free software.

NW4ever
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You got it all wrong. I mean make it a trial version when it's a beta test. If u can't do this then I vote for option [2]

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i know what im on about, trials are only good as evaluations. Making BS SHP Builder have a trial would take more time to develop a decent trial system, and whats the point? beta tests could take weeks, so how long do u make the trial? whats the point making more work with a trial ver?

If ur "worried" abotu leaks then the simple solution is a messagebox liek the VXLSE trials had, and a message in the install program. Not that leaks would do much, since its free community software.

NW4ever
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, thanks for your time.
The thing is that I want to be a beta tester for this program... Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum