Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:06 am
All times are UTC + 0
Can someone help me with this problem?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

Also Known As: martx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:  Can someone help me with this problem?
Subject description: Time keeps stopping every shutdown, check latest post please...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For now, I haven't encountered one yet, but tell me, what is it like to have a HDD Crash? Does it erase Windows with it? Or does it just wipe off the data and files in the HDD without you knowing? I'm still unaware of how these get triggered, so I'll ask people who encountered it first hand Smile

NEW POST:

Okay, Topic change, can someone tell me why my computer's clock stops after shutdown and continues after power on? I only use it offline, since I can't buy Win8/10, and I don't have a prepared anti-virus software [It's such a pain in the arse], I had to format my HDD after I got attacked by a virus that turned everything to useless files, it infected my whole computer, my one and only last resort was to format my HDD, so syncing it with the online time server is not an option, as to me not installing the damn wireless network drivers after knowing that viruses can infect your computer anytime even when you're not using the internet, sure, changing the date and time is one thing, but I have to change it every ztyping day >_<, anyone know how to stop this from happening? I turn off my AVR after use everytime, maybe the lack of power is the problem, my PC used to be not plugged to an AVR, and it never stops the time, any advice would be greatly appreciated Smile

Last edited by NucleiSplitter on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I encountered a crash similar to that, blue screen of death, But HDD, never encountered it before.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hard drive crashes are normally caused by the head becoming unaligned due to warping from overheating. The head will then not be able to correctly read data from the platter. A hard drive will also eventually to succumb to general usage over time too with the moving parts wearing down. In such cases the data is still on the drive but you will be unable to access it by normal means.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When my laptop drive failed back in 2009/2010, it become evident with horrifically long load times for games and eventually, simple windows tasks. I played World of Tanks at the time, and I'd sometimes load in 4-5 minutes after the match started, for instance.

Then one day, my laptop froze and the subsequent reboot made me aware it couldn't find a HDD on the system.

Depending on the nature of the failure, you can recover data. In my case, the freezer method worked.

Froze the drive for several hours, took it out, put it on an HDD dock. During it time it took for the drive to thaw out, I was able to move files off the drive. Repeated that until I moved everything I needed off of it.

(and when I last checked, the drive is still sitting in a bag in my parent's freezer #Tongue)

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can check your disk health with CrystalDiskInfo:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

If there are pending sector counts, it means there are some bad sectors
which can be reallocated. Doing a full disk format (not quick format)
in Win7 or above will fix those if there are spare locations available.

Do proper windows shutdown, keep the disk cool, have good SMPS
to avoid power spikes. These will help in keeping the disk healthier.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
You can check your disk health with CrystalDiskInfo:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

If there are pending sector counts, it means there are some bad sectors
which can be reallocated. Doing a full disk format (not quick format)
in Win7 or above will fix those if there are spare locations available.

Do proper windows shutdown, keep the disk cool, have good SMPS
to avoid power spikes. These will help in keeping the disk healthier.

You can also use IOBit's ASC Pro (maybe pro only) to scan for disk optimization & errors.

NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure my HDD is still in great condition (I bought one last year for secondary use in my computer, and I only store Music, Pictures, Notes, Essays, etc. in it)

I might need that freezing method along the way, thanks EVA-251 Very Happy

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Freezing the disk can also cause irreparable damage to it as it'll create condensation on the disk when it warms up. You'd be better off running the drive in a refrigerated environment. If the disk is clicking when you run it, you could fix the head if you feel like making an anaerobic chamber (one of those boxes you connect gloves to), but that's worst case scenario.
It's most likely the board is burnt out and you can replace it with a new one, plenty of places sell them. PCB can sometimes be repaired with carefully placed soldering or a conductive ink pen. (best thing since sliced bread btw)

Also, don't put the disk in the ztyping oven, no idea where people heard that's a solution. Using a heat gun on a removed PCB can temporarily return the connectors to the board, but that's a rare problem.

EDIT: if the disk isn't spinning, it's the motor. Again, clean room to replace it. Which for most people, it's fucked.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Freezing a disk is harmless if you put it in a bag first. It's not a bulletproof solution for data retrieval but it is safe to do as a last resort.

Steam

NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, Topic change, can someone tell me why my computer's clock stops after shutdown and continues after power on? I only use it offline, since I can't buy Win8/10, and I don't have a prepared anti-virus software [It's such a pain in the arse], I had to format my HDD after I got attacked by a virus that turned everything to useless files, it infected my whole computer, my one and only last resort was to format my HDD, so syncing it with the online time server is not an option, as to me not installing the damn wireless network drivers after knowing that viruses can infect your computer anytime even when you're not using the internet, sure, changing the date and time is one thing, but I have to change it every ztyping day >_<, anyone know how to stop this from happening? I turn off my AVR after use everytime, maybe the lack of power is the problem, my PC used to be not plugged to an AVR, and it never stops the time, any advice would be greatly appreciated Smile

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took apart two laptops one day and found this: A small battery connected to the Motherboard that could fit into a watch. It could be what's needed to keep track of time by continuously ''counting" seconds. I'm guessing the PC turns to it after it has no other power sources. If it's empty, two things could happen:
1) (got this one myself after ALL the batteries died over time) time is reset to factory-time (00:00:00 01/01/2002) AFTER booting (as opposed to plugged-in) OR
2) (dunno about this, but it's what Fission got), the time 'counted' so far is stored internally at all times. No power simply means stop. Counting is resumed after getting power back (or PC is booted again)

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The small battery on the motherboard is used for the internal clock. But it is also used for saving the computer's BIOS setting & when it runs out your computer wont be able to boot up.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Replace the 3V battery. It would reset your BIOS, so check settings.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
The small battery on the motherboard is used for the internal clock. But it is also used for saving the computer's BIOS setting & when it runs out your computer wont be able to boot up.

Even when plugged-in?
'Cause I'm pretty sure mine died (if time resets are any indication)...

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had several run out over the years & it always resulted in the computer being unable to boot up. I guess it depends on the type of  BIOS, if you have multiple hard drives & the jumper configuration of the hard drives.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then yer sockets suckz #Tongue

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NucleiSplitter wrote:
I had to format my HDD after I got attacked by a virus that turned everything to useless files, it infected my whole computer, my one and only last resort was to format my HDD

You mean Ransomware?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could be WannaCry. Went viral less than a month ago (I think)

NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bumping this topic (IDK, it's my topic anyway)

What is WannaCry and what does it do? If it does match the virus I encountered a few years ago (2 Years to be exact), then I would need to get Windows 8.1 so I could connect to the internet and use it without worries thanks to Windows Defender, I'm still unequipped with an anti-virus for now since I'm in Win7, and most viruses damage Win7 systems (I think)

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NucleiSplitter wrote:
Bumping this topic (IDK, it's my topic anyway)

What is WannaCry and what does it do? If it does match the virus I encountered a few years ago (2 Years to be exact), then I would need to get Windows 8.1 so I could connect to the internet and use it without worries thanks to Windows Defender, I'm still unequipped with an anti-virus for now since I'm in Win7, and most viruses damage Win7 systems (I think)

WannaCry/WannaCrypt0r/WannaDecrypt0r is a ransomware than requests for 200 bitcoins or more, if you are too late, the files will be deleted forever, there are 2 ways to remove.

1. Anti-Ransomware Programs, i recommend IOBit's malware fighter PRO, its anti ransomware engine was designed to take down eternalblue and wannacry.

2. Technical Way, Open your PC in safe mode, and find the ransomware to delete permanently, it's very recommended to delete the executable itself too, with its other encryption files that are in C:/Windows/System32 or similar, i found that way on YouTube before.

NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...nope, not the virus I encountered 2 years ago, WannaCry went viral a few months ago right? Then it must've been created right now in 2017, I'm still curious though, what the heck is the irus I encountered?! The files got converted by Windows as a Fail-Safe so that the virus can't harm the files, but it harmed the system resulting to me formatting my HDD.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NucleiSplitter wrote:
...nope, not the virus I encountered 2 years ago, WannaCry went viral a few months ago right? Then it must've been created right now in 2017, I'm still curious though, what the heck is the irus I encountered?! The files got converted by Windows as a Fail-Safe so that the virus can't harm the files, but it harmed the system resulting to me formatting my HDD.

It might be a chinese (even if it was not a chinese) trojan horse, there is a media player that is chinese and it infected my PC 2 years ago, i avoided it using force delete by malware fighter, no need for PRO version to do that, rarely facebook gameroom can be infected too, i deleted it today because its source is unknown, even itunes for windows32 can be rarely infected, if none of them you had, then tell me the list of programs you downloaded even if you removed it or not using remove a program list, it may leave suspicious files after you remove the program with the regular uninstallation, i had ultimate downloader before but when i removed it i still had the red installer xyz pop up, then i removed it using task scheduler, if anything IS SUSPICIOUS like pop up to untrusted sites.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon