Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Ra2/YR WAV files formats
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject:  Ra2/YR WAV files formats Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am sure this question has been asked before but... I will go ahead and ask again since searches here do not help.

So, I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with unit voice WAV files... I now that seems odd... But nothing seems clear to me about it.

The problem I am having is, at times there can be a split second pause right before an audio wav file plays. So, I am thinking its has to do with my format... But I am not sure what to do about this.

When I try to "Copy as WAV" I get two options IMA ADPCM, and PCM. What is the difference? I am not looking for anything technical or in depth, simply which is better for game play.

Also, why is PCM file size so much better? is that good or bad? I am guessing its less compress, so it loads play faster? Is this correct?

Also, I was looking in the audio.bag file and noticed all the sounds have a sample rate of around 22050, is that better for game performance and how do I get my audio files to match? My files are normaly around 45000 the "Copy to WAV" does not seem to change that. And/or should I care what the sample rate is?

fileSize.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.4 KB
 Viewed:  1724 Time(s)

fileSize.png

sampRate.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.26 KB

sampRate.png

wavType.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.24 KB

wavType.png

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PCM is uncompressed, IMA is a lossy compression, the bag container contains IMA compressed wav's mostly, the fact that you managed to stuff a PCM high frequency wav there is pretty amazing. Yes the higher the frequency the larger the load of the game.
The game ironically seems to have a lesser sound engine than RA, afik RA2's doesn't support stereo properly(RA's supports up to PCM 48k Stereo) and likely won't like high frequency wav's properly im suprised 48k plays at all.

You need to edit the wavs in something like Audacity, Adobe Audition or something, resave them at 22050, 44100 could work but no clue how the game will react to it.

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup that is exactly the explanation I was looking for. Is that stated clearly some where that I missed?

But I will say you can get 48000 samples in YR, I have no idea if Ra2 can do it. But it does cause performance problems, and that was why I asked about this, when those 48000 WAV files played it would cause a stutter.

And thankfully Audacity makes it really easy to export multiple files. I had to do this to over 400 WAV files.

Anyways, Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon