Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Unit balancing
Moderators: Mig Eater
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to ask tho how would you balance the logic's in game of every units ? since they are constantly getting changed.

Also, Do you have 1-3 upgrades for every unit ? and are they stack-able (upgrade 1 to upgrade 2) ?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The units in D-day are coded based on their real life stats. Which are then also used to calculate the cost, which is the main method of balancing the unit. You can have 4 light tanks for the cost of 1 heavy but the heavy does 4x the damage etc.

The Turan I, II & III etc are all separate units & aren't upgrades.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait so you do no have upgrades for each and every unit, huh.

Err ,but wont you have alot of units on your side bar or that is controlled by the Tech Slider before you begin your skirmish game ? as I remember your units are from the periods of 1930 - 1960 right ?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are multiple game modes that represent different periods (Pre-War, Early-War, Mid-War, Late-War, Post-War & Total-War). You will get a different set of units to build depending on which one you pick. Total-War includes units from all of the game modes tho so your sidebar can get a bit full. If you're brave enough there is even a Total-War Unholy Alliance mode which will give you nearly 1000 units. Or you can play the standard Pre-War mode etc & have just 10 units...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I half expected that your mod have internal-game upgrades like Age of Empires that advances you from period to period   Question

I am taking a similar direction for my mod though not Exactly similar as I am maintaining some Ra2 aspects. Also, I am curious why did you not go with internal period upgrade for a total war setup ?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been thinking about a new separate game mode with an upgrade system where you start with pre-war & progress to post-war for awhile.

I cant decide on some of the details tho;

Should the upgrades be bought with money or after a set time has elapsed they activate.

Should they be applied to the factory buildings (which can be destroyed/sold resulting in you losing all the upgrades) or just be dummy invisible buildings that last the whole game.

Should all units be upgraded in one go or have different upgrades for each type of unit.

Whatever I decide it will require a lot of coding, organizing & time, just listing all the unit for the normal games modes is a challenge.

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Should all units be upgraded in one go or have different upgrades for each type of unit.

You should have 3 major upgrades which advances your units taking them from period to period these upgrades are: Air Force Upgrade, Land Force Upgrade and Naval Force Upgrade. Each upgrade should need its relevant factory to be purchased plus tech/research centers plus a solid special structure that which upgrade will be placed upon.

Quote:
Should the upgrades be bought with money or after a set time has elapsed they activate.

If you can find an easy way to make via time requirement then yeah why not otherwise/anyways the upgrade should be expensive as you are upgrading a lot of units at one go. Also think about how would the aggregate cost be - Example:

T-55 cost = 1000

--Upgrade to 60's--

T-55 with side skirts and other upgrades cost = 1200

T-62 cost = 1400

Full Upgrade Package Cost = ( Upgraded T-55 = 200 'subtracted from the units original price'  + T-62 = 1400 ' whole new unit so total cost included' )   = 1600.

There would be also the idea how you would differentiate T-55  with side skirts and other upgrades and T-62 roles.

Quote:
Should they be applied to the factory buildings (which can be destroyed/sold resulting in you losing all the upgrades) or just be dummy invisible buildings that last the whole game.

I think it should be applied to a structure "solid special structure" and that structure need to tough enough to fend off any strike or attack in which you would require to garrison that structure to completely capture it and end the game if it was the last structure standing.

Think about like m7's Tech structures you have to clear it out of garrisons then capture it with your infantry resulting in you victory but with the twist of it being a normal base structure. This should be a nice twist of the game mode or you can make it automatically get destroyed after you mowed down every enemy structure if it was a short game.

What I've suggested is what I am mostly going with my mod but the problem is that I will be making special schemes upgrade in which I may or may not include as it adds complexity to the system..

TDC
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings!

I'm new in this forum but I've been following the D-Day project for a while. I think it could be improved on many ways:
1.- Research technologies, but not researching whole ages. Replacing all obsolete units wouldn't be realistic (and may be difficult to implement).
2.- I think ages should be limits (like start time and end time).
3.- Implement another kind of "research" to stand for diplomacy (you know, licensed units and country variants) only able with a special building like the consulate (or it was an embassy?) on Age Of Empires 3.
If you wonder how this could be made, my answer is OpenRA. Implementing new queues is easy and "playing" with the prerequisites too.

@Mig Eater Have you really considered a fork?
Anyway, thank you for this great mod!

P.S. Isn't any thread in this forum to introduce ourselves?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon