Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:36 pm
All times are UTC + 0
AI Editor V2 (currently: v0.667) (A MUST-HAVE BUGFIX!)
Moderators: Community Tools Developpers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject:  AI Editor V2 (currently: v0.667) (A MUST-HAVE BUGFIX!) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

December 4 : v0.667 UP!

Edited to reflect v0.667.

Current status:

New features:
- Added a new box to show the recommended TechLevel for any Trigger (this resolves some AI "building stuff before they have the Prerequisite=" problems).
- Added "Jump to object by Name" fields to all elements.
- Added a "Restore Trigger" function - now single click will load the trigger instead of a double-click. Changes made to them are auto-saved, and you have the chance to "Restore" a Trigger if you accidentally f*cked it up. // Restore is not available once you have actually "Save"d the trigger.
- Added an "Export" option. This copies the currently selected item's data into clipboard in precisely the same format as it should be in the INI file - aids in posting code in the forums. // Oh yeah, just thought up a few additions, like script translation being copied along (in a comment), ... Soon I'll add them too.

Done:
- Various user interface improvements (keyboard shortcuts, configurable toolbar, ...). Useful.
- "Used by:" information (everything works !). (Note: the numbers in the statusbar don't necessarily match the amount of TeamTypes you will see in the jump-to lists).
- Triggers, TeamTypes, ScriptTypes and TaskForces loading and displaying.
- rules(md).ini loading for TechTypes. Currently this is a must _before_ loading the AI file.
- Trigger Type descriptions instead of simple numbers.
- Most options now include dropdowns or other measures to make sure you don't write incorrect stuff.
- Triggers, TeamTypes, ScriptTypes and TaskForces saving.
- Stock AI infomation.
- Selecting from ScriptType specific Parameters, instead of typing them in. Completed - gives you descriptions and parameters for any script action it can (things like movie index in [Movies] still require manual calculation, though).
- A horizontal scrollbar for the Trigger list. Width is fixed (damn code limitations), so it might not look too good when scrolled to far right. But then again I don't use that scroller at all.
- Help files & tooltips (DeeZire's guide will make a great help file, but it needs converting to CHM). I have made the tooltips and ScriptAction descriptions from DZ's guide. They are stored in separate ini files (supplied in the archive). Feel free to edit those files as much as you like.
- Added switches to show/hide unbuildable units/structures from TaskForce editing window.
- Added a Name/ID switch for the TaskForces window.
- Added a switch to show/hide disabled triggers.
- Added red border to notify when the trigger is disabled in all difficulties.

In progress:
- Trigger Manager (disabled for now).
- AI Validator - find out unused stuff from the AI file in seconds. Very handy, especially in big files.
- Triggers, TeamTypes, ScriptTypes and TaskForces cloning/adding/removing. This is the hardest part, it can take some time to finish. // waiting for bugs to squish
- "Idiot proofing" (buttons inaccessible until files loaded, unsaved changes alert, etc.) Piece of cake.
- Bug hunting.

To be done:
- 'Viewing only' screen, with layout taken from V1. //Sometime soon.
- New stuff labeling convention. Rather complicated, I'll leave it to the end. //Is it really necessary, if so, then how do you want it to be implemented? Comments, people.

Fixed bugs:
- The Trigger Condition field was always messed up!
- "Hide disabled triggers" switch did not work properly.
- Adding TeamTypes crashed the Save routine.
- All kinds of comments now supported.
- TeamTypes now save correctly after deleting/adding them.
- ScriptTypes refresh properly after deleting/adding them.
- Doubleclicking on the "Add Unit" no longer changes that list to a list of TeamTypes.
- No more 'List index out of bounds (-1/0)' errors. // Again...
- Owner country and Techtype now save correctly.

Screenshots:

Main screen:

Clicking [...] next to teamtype#1 or #2 shows this teamtype editing screen:

The results of the AI Validator on the default YR 1.001 aimd.ini file:

Comments, suggestions, ... ?

Last edited by John Galt on Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:35 am; edited 10 times in total

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good job Smile

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Questions:
- I've set the default window size to 800x600. Good idea or not?
Which TechLevel setting you like better? Scroller(main scr) or dropdown list (teamtype scr)?
- The interface, is the way to edit stuff ok or you want it done differently?
Should the teamtype dropdown in the main screen have team names next to the IDs? So you don't have to click [...] to look at each teamtype's name.
- I remember Cannis sometime ago saying that FA2 writes teamtype properties in an odd way, and includes a couple of obsolete ones. Which might those be, so I can remove them right now?

Here's a problematic situation:
The trigger uses teamtype A. You click [...] next to A and in that screen modify some of it's properties, without closing, decide to fix another, possibly unrelated, teamtype, say teamtype B, select it in teamtype dropdown, and modify it a bit. When you save and close the secondary screen, should the original trigger be updated to use B instead of A? If so, modifying teamtype B would require you to locate a trigger which uses teamtype B, instead of simply changing to X in the trigger screen. If not, actually wanting to change the teamtype B to A would require you to remember A's ID. I can't figure out the best way to solve this.
The same problem goes for script types and task forces - bind them to teamtypes or not?

I'm thinking of making it like this:
Clicking [...] to open the teamtype screen keeps the teamtype bound.
Using menu to open the teamtype screen does not bind any teamtypes to any triggers.

How does all that sound?

Note: don't say pictures don't work, I have no idea why that nonsense likes to happen #Tongue

Updated @ 09.24.

Last edited by John Galt on Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:20 pm; edited 3 times in total

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Questions:
- I've set the default window size to 800x600. Good idea or not?

- I guess it's a kinda dangerous idea, for those who have 640x480, but if you let the Form auto-scroll, then I see no problem at all. Gamers usually are more familiar with 800x600 or 1024x768.

Quote:
Which TechLevel setting you like better? Scroller(main scr) or dropdown list (teamtype scr)?

- dropdown is fine.

Quote:
- The interface, is the way to edit stuff ok or you want it done differently?

- It's ok, although you can add spin edits at the probablilties (in the trigger editor) and on priority (team type editor).

Quote:
Should the teamtype dropdown in the main screen have team names next to the IDs? So you don't have to click [...] to look at each teamtype's name.

- You could place a small piece of info in the free space at the botton about the select teamtype 1 and 2 shoring its units and actions.

Quote:
- I remember Cannis sometime ago saying that FA2 writes teamtype properties in an odd way, and includes a couple of obsolete ones. Which might those be, so I can remove them right now?

- Some of the actions are exclusive to campaigns, but I dont have much info on these... maybe you should keep them anyway... if people wanna copy and paste this kind of stuff in their maps later O.o...

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks really sweet, although for my mod it'll come too late, i already have the AI i want #Tongue

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noone has 640x480, if they do they will b dence oap's not modders. One thing i will say since the start menu takes up about 10 pixels id make it at the most 800x580 which would make sure it doesn't go under the start menu in 800x600.

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Main screen
Secondary screen

Done: modified item saving, resized teamtype lists, automatic determining of AI version (next, will hide objects if game doesn't support them).
Next: added/cloned/deleted item saving.

Edit... damn, those pics are too much. Links, from now on.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It improved a lot Smile. Can you remove actions and units in the secondary screen?

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Smile
Yes, they're listed in TMemos, not TListBoxes, so...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh Smile.

Also, a little suggestion... how does this button "add custom unit" works? It could work (with another name) in a way where you provide the rules.ini or rulesmd.ini or firestrm.ini and it loaded the units from there, instead of using it to load unit per unit...

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

'Load rules' in main screen already requests you to load the proper rules file #Tongue ATM this is a must before the load AI button is activated, so it can build the techtypes beforehand. Maybe I should change it... maybe not. Depends on users' feedback.
So 'add custom unit' only is necessary if your units are not in rules, like in mp***(md).ini (multiplay mode file) or in a map file. It currently prompts you for a unit ID, but your suggestion may be the better way to do it.

Damn, this 3-forum thread is hard to look after #Tongue

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update:

Main screen
Secondary screen

Cosmetic changes and small touchups. I'm currently busy with my last exam (tomorrow), and next week I should turn this into a beta, if nothing worng happens Smile

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good job! It's excelent and I honestly don't know where it should be improved...

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Wink
You haven't seen everything - I haven't implemented all the suggestions I received yet Wink

Does anyone else here cares? o_O :S

Mike
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

have you forgot about the randomizer?

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@MyTrust: No, I haven't. The idea resurfaced last week at DeeZire's, and now Psycho is making such a progrma as well. So just wait.. a little bit longer... I agree, I had completely forgotten about it for almost a year (since I got hosted here), but no more. It is halfway done for an alpha.

===============

Fourth alpha uploaded!

Current status:
Done:

- Triggers, TeamTypes, ScriptTypes and TaskForces loading and displaying.
- rules(md).ini loading for TechTypes. Currently this is a must _before_ loading the AI file.
- Trigger Type descriptions instead of simple numbers.
- Most options now include dropdowns or other measures to make sure you don't write incorrect stuff.
- Triggers, TeamTypes, ScriptTypes and TaskForces saving.
- Stock AI infomation.
- Selecting from ScriptType specific Parameters, instead of typing them in. Completed - gives you descriptions and parameters for any script action it can (things like building # in [BuildingTypes] or movie index in [Movies] stil lrequire manual calculation, though).
- A horizontal scrollbar for the Trigger list. Width is fixed (damn code limitations), so it might not look too good when scrolled to far right. But then again I don't use that scroller at all.

In progress:
- Triggers, TeamTypes, ScriptTypes and TaskForces cloning/adding/removing. This is the hardest part, it can take some time to finish. // waiting for bugs to squish before saying it's "done".
- "Used by:" information (numbers work, jumping to them doesn't). Piece of cake, won't take too long.
- Help files & tooltips (DeeZire's guide will make a great help file, but it needs converting to CHM). I have made the tooltips and ScriptAction descriptions from DZ's guide. They are stored in separate ini files (supplied in the archive). Feel free to edit those files as much as you like.
- "Idiot proofing" (buttons inaccessible until files loaded, unsaved changes alert, etc.) Piece of cake.
- Bug hunting.

To be done:
- 'Viewing only' screen, with layout taken from V1. //Sometime soon. Not yet, though.
- New stuff labeling convention. Rather complicated, I'll leave it to the end. //Is it really necessary, if so, then how do you want it to be implemented? Comments, people.

Fixed bugs:
- TeamTypes now save correctly after deleting/adding them.
- ScriptTypes refresh properly after deleting/adding them.
- Doubleclicking on the "Add Unit" no longer changes that list to a list of TeamTypes.
Comments, suggestions, ... ?

P.S. Expect some more great news from me this weekend Wink I've got something big ready!

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool stuff! Actually, I have a suggestion for this AI editor.

Could you make something like a Tactical View Mode?

This would show the Task Force and Script Type names with the avarage speed of the units, total cost of task force, anti-infantry firepower (You know, taking the avarage of the sum of the damage multiplied with each % of the armour used by infantry set in the warhead...), anti-vehicle firepower, anti-aircraft firepower (would need to detect if projectile shoots air units), anti-building firepower, etc...

Also, a kind of option to find out which task forces, script types and team types are wasted and to flush them all.

If possible, also an option to auto set the techlevel of the ai trigger types based on the lowest level unit from the task forces from the team types from the ai trigger.

These are just some suggestions. Keep up the good work!

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tactical View: nice idea. Could you give a more precise list of what properties/calculations would be necessary? Then I would code it up right away.

Wasted types: you mean those which are not called by any trigger/team? Such info is already visible (check to the right of the 'Close' button in secondary screen).

Autosetting: yes, I can do that. With an exclusion for cases when TL=-1 or 11 is detected, of course.

I hope to integrate the trigger manager into the next version, if I don't forget it #Tongue

Banshee wrote:
Keep up the good work!

Thanks Very Happy

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A precise list for Tactical View? Hmmm... let me think:

- Team Name
- Task Force Name
- Script Name
- Total Cost: (sum of the cost of all units in the task force)
- Total Strength: (sum of the strength of all units in the task force)
- Anti-Infantry Firepower: (sum of the avarage of the damage * the % of the verses against the armours used by infantry of each unit) I.e.:

For TS, infantry only uses none armour (except Cyborgs). So, if you have a unit that does 100 of damage and %50 against None, then, the anti-infantry firepower of the unit would be 100 * 0.5 = 50. If your task force has 5 of these units, then the final result would be 5 * 50 = 250.

- Anti-Vehicle Firepower
- Anti-Air Firepower: (pay attention to the projectile, if it has AA=yes)
- Anti-Building Firepower

(Note: Make the program analyse the script and spotlight the anti-x things that are important to accomplish the mission. I.e.: If your task force has a X=0,4 (the one to attack infantry), spotlight the anti-infantry value.

- Avarage Speed: (avarage of the speeds of the unit types)
- Number Of Expected Waves: (compare the speed of the unit types and if speed of 2 compared types's difference is higher than 2, you increase the ammount of waves. Remember that the minimum and optimal value for this will be 1.

I.e.: You have some buggys with speed 7, some tick tanks with speed 5 and some artillery with speed 4, you will have 2 waves, because the buggies will arrive at the target first, then the tick tanks will arrive with the artilleries close to them. Note that I couldnt be arsed to check the real value of the speed of these units, so it's a ficticious example #Tongue.

Expected Efficience Price: $((multiplication of the avarage of the spotlighted firepower with total strength and avarage speed) / cost)

Note that you should disconsider engineer and hijacker units when calculating stuff like firepower and efficience price

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. That will be implemented soon ...

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of you might have noticed that after the fourth beta (v0.60) I've been uploading several minor updated versions (0.62-0.64) silently. Those fixed some very small problems.
And now, I've uploaded v0.65. This one does not have a beta version number, cause I've grown tired of enumerating them Smile Instead, it's simply called v0.65. It has a lot of new features, and fixes some of the old bugs.
(Ladies and) Gentlemen, please use it and abuse it. I want you to crash it somehow. Only through active bughunting can the majority of bugs be eliminated. So, do anything you can think of. And report that back to me Wink
Have fun.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile I'll play with it on this weekend Smile. Feel free to post a news about it. If you don't, I will post a news on friday...

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: v0.667 is online. It is only a bugfix, which fixes the Trigger Condition Field. You are strongly advised to get it ASAP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum