Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm
All times are UTC + 0
RA2's (or older) max perfomance
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:  RA2's (or older) max perfomance
Subject description: Is the sky really the limit here?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was wondering if RA2 (or older) can really use a PC's full potential.
I.E. is it worth buying a high-end machine if it'll be used exclusively for RA2-games?
Or is a weaker set-up better, as the engine won't be using that i7 8th gen too much when compared to slower ones?

Just curious. Thanks.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't think it uses the graphics card at all, and pretty sure it doesn't use multiple cores properly either, if at all. Think what affects performance the most isn't PC horsepower but other factors like the OS / drivers at supporting old games / Direct X. As seen a few years ago when an nVidia driver update wrecked TS performance for some people.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It doesn't use the graphics card and it doesn't make use of more than 1 core.

You get maximum performance from any highly-clocked modern CPU. A 6-core, 12-thread i7 won't give any better performance than a quad-core i3, unless the i7 has a significantly higher clock rate. Basically any modern Intel CPU (excluding maybe ultra low-power laptop CPUs) or AMD Ryzen should be plenty for the game.

As OmegaBolt mentioned, the compatibility stuff also has a huge impact on how the game runs.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How much RAM is the max?

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been a long time since I checked RAM usage, but IIRC for vanilla TS it's a bit over 100 MB in large maps. YR as well as mods like DTA and TI need more, but still relatively insignificant amounts. As long as you have enough for Windows and background applications, you will have enough for the game.

4 GB should be plenty if playing RA2 is the only thing you do, although if you also want the system to handle other things well, I'd aim for 8 GB, or 16 GB for some extra future proofing.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I already have an 8gig machine. It is called SB2 13.5'' i7 8GB Wink

Still thanks for the input and satisfying my curiousity Smile

One last thing: does RA2 not using the GPU mean that I don't need to specify the NVIDIA processor as the prefered one for RA2?
In that case: do I even need a GPU (outside the integrated one) to get RA2 to run on newer systems? I remember reading somewhere that RA2 wouldn't run properly when no GPU is found (unless your lucky).

Lastly: does anyone know why the settings and renderers differ from set-up to set-up despite us dealing with the same Losers10?

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
One last thing: does RA2 not using the GPU mean that I don't need to specify the NVIDIA processor as the prefered one for RA2?

Pretty much. In the past, bugs in Intel graphics drivers made it harder to run TS and RA2, but we haven't seen many issue reports about that lately, so I guess the DirectDraw wrappers (ddraw.dlls, iow. "renderers") have fixed that problem as well. In case you run into issues with the integrated one, it could still be worth it to give the dedicated GPU a try though.

TAK02 wrote:
In that case: do I even need a GPU (outside the integrated one) to get RA2 to run on newer systems?

Nope. The integrated one is enough.

TAK02 wrote:
Lastly: does anyone know why the settings and renderers differ from set-up to set-up despite us dealing with the same Losers10?

There's lots of factors. Different hardware, different driver versions, software running in the background could also affect it etc. For example, the game used to work differently with some renderers when using AMD GPUs, compared to using Nvidia GPUs. Also, as OmegaBolt said, a few years ago there was an Nvidia driver update that slowed down the game's performance (on some renderers).

The latest GDI TS-DDRAW by FunkyFr3sh and dkeeton might work universally, though. Or at least it seems promising.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually video card does play a role in performance as it relates to memory/pages and resolutions. Not all gpus that handle high-res have adequate vram transfer speeds, either because the memory width, or architectural weakness (low clocks)...

I remember this was especially prevalent, or easy to notice when ATI started releasing better drivers that optimized win2k/xp, and then later when their cores included further enhancements to 2D along with video encoding functions. You could really tell how much faster the screen updated.

I can mine Ubiq or XMR on my 7950 3gb while playing RA2 with no issues, I get ever so slight jitter at times when mining Ubiq since it is far more memory intensive.

So all that is to say 2D performance does vary and does matter, but the Cinebench rating won't help you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum