Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 pm
All times are UTC + 0
How to use Final alert 2 on Linux mint with Wine 1.6.2?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:  How to use Final alert 2 on Linux mint with Wine 1.6.2? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I am trying to get FA2 to run in Linux mint with Wine 1.6.2. I am able to get the program to run.

However when ever I try to open/create a map, I get this error. (See attachment)

Does any one know anything about this? My linux knowledge is poor. I am attempting to part ways with windows... Its working my last nerve.

Screenshot from 2018-09-01 16-33-23.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.01 KB
 Viewed:  673 Time(s)

Screenshot from 2018-09-01 16-33-23.png

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does Linux have admin mode or have you installed it somewhere where admin rights COULD be needed?

Also, why switch from a system you're quite familiar with to one you don't know?
Just saying, there's still WinXP or older for virtual machines, if it's Win10 that you hate...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does any one know how admin rights work in linux? From what I can find from googling, it should already be in admin mod... I know wine does not run as sudo or root, as its part of the wine faking thing, and its strongly suggested that I not run wine as admin/sudo.

And yes I have had it with windows 10. I can not stick with a a OS that will not let me control updates/actions that my PC does. A few days ago my PC restarted with out notice, and I lost what i was working on. I will keep my dual boot, just in case I need Windows, but I for the most part will work with linux.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mwahaha!!!

It looks like all I needed to do was update to a newer version of Wine. It works now.  Razz

I can even install/launch Origin and install/play RA2. Damn... This is sweet!

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dual boot with Linux eh?

Off-topic, but how different is Linux to Windows? Are they practically the same with how they handle files and programs or is it like the Mac we all hate? #Tongue
Is there a learning curve?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes Linux is different then Windows. But Linux Mint is as user friendly as it  gets, I would think, and it is designed to be very similar to windows.

There is a learning curve, as I really only use Windows (about 99% of my PC usage is windows).

But I really do feel its about time I spent the effort to move away from windows. As I have given windows many chances, and they just do not seem to be willing to correct there faults.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon