Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:51 am
All times are UTC + 0
The Kriosan Confederacy
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [1 Post] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Timburwolfe
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject:  The Kriosan Confederacy
Subject description: A WIP addon for the Twisted Insurrection mod
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, I am currently making an infantry addon for the Twisted Insurrection mod, which makes use of several of its Forgotten (mutant faction) assets to begin making another mutant faction, which I call the Kriosan Confederacy. To save you all the wall of text that is the premise for this mod, I have put the story behind it in a spoiler below.

Spoiler (click here to read it):
Where the Forgotten are followers of Tratos, and generally are the result of Nod experiments who seek a cure for what has been done to them, the Kriosan Confederacy is a splinter group named after their own leader, Krios, who embraces the idea that Tiberium is the next step in human evolution. While one would assume this means Krios would at least be supportive of Nod if not allies with them during the events of TI, this is not exactly the case. Like many of the Forgotten, the mutants of the Confederacy were unwillingly subjected to Kane's experiments in the Divination project, and were largely doomed to suffer rampant, debilitating mutations following Kane's disappearance, without the scientific guidance and expertise of the enigmatic leader.

Feeling betrayed by the Brotherhood upon learning of Kane's disappearance, and being told that Divination was no longer possible, Krios orchestrated a prison break, taking hundreds of fellow mutants with him and eventually joining the Forgotten, hearing that Tratos offered the sanctuary and support that neither Nod nor GDI was able to provide them. Using the Tacitus, Tratos had some limited success in preventing and even reversing most of the negative effects of their mutations. Renewed with hope, Krios began his tutelage under Tratos, learning how to interpret the Tacitus and the visions it gave him, and for a time it seemed Tratos had an aspiring successor,
at least until Krios discovered what had made Kane so determined to prove that humans could be altered to thrive in a world overtaken by Tiberium;
what Tratos had been decoding in his own project to completely reverse the effects of Divination.

He saw visions of genetic manipulation; The very same process by which Kane would have augmented Michael MacNeil, had he not disappeared. He saw how Kane's DNA was stored within a great library maintained by the Scrin, and then he had an epiphany; Only now did he realize that the experiments he and his fellow mutants were subjected to was a frantic, impatient effort to find individuals like himself, whose DNA made it possible to survive and benefit from contact with Tiberium, before the planet became inhospitable to the rest of humanity. He saw plainly what Kane, in his limited contact with the device, had only partially translated: That the DNA of such individuals was the key to accomplishing the evolution that Kane sought to bring about in humanity.

Frantically, Krios began making notes and calculations, and eventually used the Scrin ship's laboratory to devise the means to prove his theory, based on his own DNA and using himself as a test subject. When he presented his findings to Tratos, the latter was greatly disappointed, convinced that Krios was at risk of following Kane on a path to self-damnation, and may lead other mutants down his same dark path. While Tratos insisted he wasn't blind to his disciple's accomplishments and admitted that he was quite impressed with what had been discovered, he could not allow Krios to put himself or their Forgotten brethren in danger, and expressed his hope that his disciple would put his research to use in finding a cure for tiberium mutation.

Krios was torn; On one hand, Tratos was perhaps the closest friend he had, even among the many friends he had among his fellow mutants, he respected the man's opinion greatly, as well as the desire of many of his brethren to undo what had been forced upon them without their consent. On the other hand, he himself did not consider the mutations to be anything less than a boon to humanity as a whole; after all, he was stronger, faster, and more agile than he had ever dreamed of becoming prior to the experiments, and he wasn't the only one who embraced the powers the mutations granted him.

His next words were said with a heavy heart, as he began copying his notes on the process of Divination down. "I am sorry, Tratos. As greatly as I value our friendship, and as grateful as I am to you for all you have done for me and our brethren, I am afraid the time has come for us to part ways. I fear that my dedication to my own research will only prove a divisive influence, and I prefer it that I go my own way, before it has a chance to tear the Forgotten asunder." he pauses, sliding the original draft of his research across the table to his mentor. He then continues. "You will likely not agree with me that our kind could live in lasting peace with those not gifted with the power to survive exposure to Tiberium, and I understand why. While I wholeheartedly embrace the gift I have been given, I do realize that not everyone is of the same mind, even among the Forgotten. I leave you with the sum total of my discoveries, in the hopes that by studying them, you can successfully reverse the effects of tiberium exposure, and promise that any who wish to be rid of their mutations will be guided here. In return, all I ask is that you tell anyone who inquires after me the whole truth of why I have gone, and let them make up their own minds on what to think about it. Some may wish to leave, and some may feel betrayed by me and want for vengeance. That is preferable than the risk of this place of sanctuary to break out into civil war over our opposing opinions. Goodbye, and good luck, my friend."

With that, Krios made his preperations to go into self-imposed exile, saying his farewells and explaining to those who insist he explain himself why he must go. Of all the mutants in the enclave, a few dozen choose to leave with him, the vast majority of them being fellow test subjects whom he had freed from the clutches of Nod and guided here so long ago. His new collective of like-minded shiners struck out on their own into the inhospitable crystalline jungles, and it was there that they not only survived, but are now beginning to thrive...

With the help of what Krios learned from Tratos and the Tacitus, the mutants of the Confederacy have further evolved to suit the environments in which they now live. The roster so far is in the spoiler below:

Spoiler (click here to read it):
Kriosan Salvager

While they are clearly the most opportunistic and kleptomaniacal of all the mutants in the Kriosan Confederacy, the Salvagers are nonetheless respected for their ability to capture, drive, or repair almost anything they come across. They carry a blowtorch, and a surprising amount of proficiency at performing field repairs, being able to bring a damaged vehicle back into serviceable condition in mere moments after repairs have begun. Unlike the hijackers of the Brotherhood, the Salvager is willing and able to return fire at infantry if he's being shot at, making use of a pair of M1911s he keeps on his person at all times. As the Confederacy has very few vehicles of its own, Salvagers form the bulk of any Kriosan raiding party and can hold their own rather well against most infantry, particularly when in groups.

Kriosan Foreguard

The Foreguard are a corps of fast, deadly warriors who are more than a match for GDI's Rangers or Nod's Militants with their heightened resilience, double-barreled shotguns, and ability to regenerate in tiberium fields. They also carry RPGs, making them effective against many types of light vehicles, and even small groups of tanks if they can get within range, though they arent likely to stop a tank column without hard cover or Vanguards to keep them from getting crushed. They have no defense against aircraft beyond their bases and outposts, or the range of Vanguards, and they arent as durable against flamethrowers as their bulkier brethren. (Statistically, they have less health than Incinerators, shoot less often, and do less damage per attack, though they do have heavy armor to the incinerator's none and can run faster)

Kriosan Lifeguard

As the battle-hardened, all-female bodyguards of the Kriosan Confederacy, the Lifeguards are primarily responsible for protecting civilians freed from Nod facilities, as well as ensuring as best as they are able that their charges are brought safely to GDI once any poisoning or unwanted mutations are cured by the younger Clerics, or bringing them to Tratos and the Forgotten if the poisoning has progressed into harmful or accelerated mutation. When a shiner woman becomes a Lifeguard, she swears an oath that she will allow no harm to befall her wards while she still draws breath, even if that means suffering mortal wounds to protect them. To that end, she carries an M1 Carbine in addition to wielding potent psionic powers capable of disabling groups of vehicles at a distance, be they friend or foe. They can even use this ability to temporarily disable defensive structures, opening up a base to an assault. Much as Clerics become Lifeguards as they grow older, the Lifeguards who persist for long enough will inevitably become so psionically powerful that they do not need guns any longer, and become Shamans.

Kriosan Vanguard

Fulfilling the opposite role of the fleet-footed hunters are the enclave's most stalwart defenders, the Vanguard. Originally (and unimaginitively) so-named due to their role in defending the unarmed vans used as transportation during the enclave's nomadic stage, the Vanguard are most recognizable for their dense, hydraulic-assisted armor and use of a jury-rigged Vulcan cannon. Such is their strength that they can even use the massive weapon to target aircraft, and while their weapon is not as effective against armored vehicles as rockets or grenades, they have the strength and density to halt a tank's advance, protecting Enforcers standing behind them from being run over while they are aiming their RPGs. This is tactic is particularly effective within the narrow canyons and caverns of Confederate territory.

Kriosan Hunter

Serving as the scouts and assassins of the Confederacy, Hunters have taken to Fiend-taming as a rite of passage, with the most experienced hunters having a sizable pack of them at their beck and call. Not merely helping to corral and herd the striders that help feed the enclave, the fiends serve as fierce protectors of the hunters themselves, fighting ferociously against the beasts and machines that the long-ranged rifle and hurled nets of the Hunter is of little use against. While they are swift and deadly against enemy infantry, they are vulnerable to attacks from vehicles like Kazuar and Scatterpacks, against which their rifles are useless. Hunters rely on their ability to slowly camouflage themselves in order to ambush prey and to be effective in their role as scouts. One must be mindful of their positioning, as it takes a few moments to line up a shot, and to get out of sight once the shot is taken.

Kriosan Cleric

Whenever a young shiner girl in the Confederacy is found to have psionic powers, she is taken in by the Shaman of her enclave, and tutored on how to control her power, and manifest it on command. The first stage in this training is learning how to mend the wounds of her fellow mutants, followed by learning how to make medicines capable of reversing the early stages of Tiberium mutation and poisoning. When they come of age, they are given leave to join raiding parties if they so choose, that they can offer aid civilians and their fellow Kriosans. As a cleric grows older, she will eventually become too powerful to effectively heal her brethren, and so she is trained in the ways of a Lifeguard.

Kriosan Cypher

The mutants referred to by their brethren as Cyphers are salvagers who have lived to develop exceptionally keen minds, and are often relied upon for their intelligence in repairing damage to larger and more complex machinery than vehicles, such as that which exists within structures, or the various bridges a raiding party may come across. They are also relied upon for their ability to completely take over a structure if they can manage to infiltrate it, but they are defenseless on their own, save for a bit of extra speed and resilience compared to other engineers.

Kriosan Raider

The shiners' hatred of the Inner Circle personified. Armed with stealth tech stolen from Nod Ghosts, a unique pair of Uzis, and more stingers and C4 than you can shake a stick at, these elite few are called upon, up to five at a time, to crack the toughest installations and eliminate the hardest targets. Raiders are by far the most versatile mutants in the Confederacy, and they are second in expense only to the Shaman. A squad of them can rip through just about anything it encounters, including aircraft and structures, but they will require transportation if the intended target is not accessible by infantry alone, and will be instantly killed by the blast of an exploding Core Reactor.

Kriosan Shaman

Serving as the source of guidance for entire enclaves, the Shaman are the pillars upon which the Kriosan Confederacy is built. Created when a Lifeguard grows so psionically powerful that she can no longer use her abilities for anything but destruction and premonition, she instead teaches younger psionics on how to use their powers. In times of great need, a Shaman may come to the aid of one of her enclave's outposts, unleashing devastating beams of energy against targets of all types.

I will eventually be adding structures and a handful of vehicles to this thread, and I hope to eventually make this a fully playable mutant faction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [1 Post] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon