Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 am
All times are UTC + 0
Converting YR maps into RA2 maps
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject:  Converting YR maps into RA2 maps Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

detailed instruction about that PLEASE

Last edited by TRUEGRIT on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this a bot?

What are RY maps?

Maps cannot be simply converted from other games (I think TS and Ra2 can be done, I have never tried myself). So, if you want a map from another game you will have to make it yourself.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah this is a bot

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cxtian39 wrote:
Yeah this is a bot

really??

A BOT??

THANKS ABOUT THAT

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ wrote:
Is this a bot?

What are RY maps?

Maps cannot be simply converted from other games (I think TS and Ra2 can be done, I have never tried myself). So, if you want a map from another game you will have to make it yourself.

WELL HOW THE FUK WOULD I KNOW?

Isn't that why I'm asking, because I don't know!!!

You know what, I DO RESPECT all the people here, and there is some of them I CONSIDER THEM GODFATHERS OF C&C modding, and you are certainly one of them, Can you believe that I was so happy when I saw the great MADHQ replying in my post?

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ wrote:
What are RY maps?

I mean YR maps  "yuri's revenge" maps not RY, sorry I wrote it RY by mistake, and for GOD SAKE you should have understood that I mean Yuri's revenge

Virgil
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YR maps may have YR specific units and buildings, and also theaters (no luna, desert etc. in RA2) with their expansion terrain packs.
The first two can be removed with FA2 or even Notebook, however nothing can be done to the last one, as how many theaters and what theater to read is hardcoded by the game engine so IF YOU STICK ON RA2 YOU WONT GET ANY DESERT OR LUNA OR NEWURBAN MAPS WORKING ON YOUR MOD, remember this.

Rename .yrm map into .mpr and .yro into .mmx, put it in the game folder, give it a try. I have no idea if there will be anything bad happening, so take your own risk. #Tongue

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Virgil wrote:
IF YOU STICK ON RA2 YOU WONT GET ANY DESERT OR LUNA OR NEWURBAN MAPS WORKING ON YOUR MOD, remember this.

Laughing  Laughing I swear I have nothing to say, I'm very embarrassed, damn

I just wanna finish it man, I can't drop the idea of my mod after all that time, any way it's about to be finished

Quote:
Rename .yrm map into .mpr and .yro into .mmx, put it in the game folder, give it a try. I have no idea if there will be anything bad happening, so take your own risk. #Tongue

NO, I tried that along time ago but the game crashed

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starkku's MapTool could be used to convert maps from one theater to another. Some profiles are provided but for the ones not available, you can create yourselves. As some terrain tiles and other objects don't match exactly from one theater to another or something available in YR may not be available in RA2, you will have to correct those in the map editor after conversion. Make sure you have backups.

Last edited by E1 Elite on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Closest you're going to get to YR map compatibility is importing all the YR terrain updates to the standard RA2 theaters: tilesets (with their inis) and trees/overlays.

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
Closest you're going to get to YR map compatibility is importing all the YR terrain updates to the standard RA2 theaters: tilesets (with their inis) and trees/overlays.

No need for that, at least for now, I HAVE JUST CREATED MY FIRST MAP Wink

But for sure thanks for your Continuous Tips Smile

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TRUEGRIT wrote:
MadHQ wrote:
Is this a bot?

What are RY maps?

WELL HOW THE FUK WOULD I KNOW?

Isn't that why I'm asking, because I don't know!!!

You know what, I DO RESPECT all the people here, and there is some of them I CONSIDER THEM GODFATHERS OF C&C modding, and you are certainly one of them, Can you believe that I was so happy when I saw the great MADHQ replying in my post?

Interesting response...

Some simple things to note:
.yrm = extension means its a Yuris revenge map.
.mpr = extension means its a Red alert 2 map.
.map = extension works with YR or RA2, it just needs to be defined in one of the .ini file (unless the map has YR specific "things" read more down below.)

But ya, YR maps just have YR specific "Things", such as Theaters, objects, triggers ,ect.... downgraded to RA2 only.

One way to see if a map needs YR, is open it in final alert 2 and try to save it. You will see a popup that will say if it needs YR to work. If it does you will need to do some work. (as seen in 'needYR.jpg' image attached below)

For example a desert theme map such as Tour of Egypt will need to be changed to some other theater and corrected. To do this follow these steps.
1: open map in text editor, then search for "Theater" replace DESERT with TEMPERATE, then click save. (as seen in 'change.jpg')
2: open map in final alert 2 -> click 'yes' to correct corrupt problems.
3: Then you will need to manually fix all the tile errors that come from the theater change, this comes from working with the tiles in final alert 2, you will need to know how to edit maps, this is some thing I can not teach here... you need to play with it and learn how to edit maps. (as seen in "fix.jpg")
4: then you will need to remove YR specific "things", for this map, all I had to do was remove the pyramids. In some cases there could be vehicles, ships, buildings infantry, ext... This YR specific info is found ini files, by determining what is new to YR.
5: save map as .mpr, then place in Ra2 Dir and play.

If you need assistance with final alert 2, my best advice would be to go through the final alert 2 manual, its not great but it will help you with the basics.. I have uploaded it here. http://zombapro.ppmsite.com/fa2Help/ (this did not seem to work for me when I tried to launch from final alert 2, cross origin problems.)

Unfortunately, there is no simple easy conversion that I know of, it will just take time in some cases. It might be helpful in some cases to show what map you would like to convert and people can give pointers until you get the hang of it. There is a lot to know about the difference between YR and RA2.

Hopefully that was helpful... If not please be a little more specific. Meaning tell us what level of knowledge you have with map editing, what problems you might be seeing, ect...

fix.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  647.69 KB
 Viewed:  3516 Time(s)

fix.jpg

change.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.61 KB
 Viewed:  3515 Time(s)

change.jpg

needYR.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  298.27 KB
 Viewed:  3515 Time(s)

needYR.jpg

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ: MapTool should be able to more correctly convert between theaters now with the new tileset substitution profiles. Also you can fix the YR map saving warning in FA2 by changing some stuff in the FAdata.ini ...

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ wrote:
Hopefully that was helpful... If not please be a little more specific. Meaning tell us what level of knowledge you have with map editing, what problems you might be seeing, ect...

Well, I haven't tried your tips yet, but sure I will be later, and I'm pretty sure it will help, any way as you can in my reply @ G-E I told him i have just created my first map ever, ofcourse it's not a big deal, but perfecting maps like yours it will take time, so I wanted to cut the time and convert some mind blowing YR maps into RA2, anyway I will let you know if I faced any proplem

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon